Register

The DIY thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Re:

06 Mar 2017 13:22

JayKosta wrote:I'm glad that worked w/o any problems.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
Evidently these bone fragments are very common, especially after multiple extractions. (Like for people who are getting dentures and such, which, thankfully I'm not at that point yet.) There's pictures on the webs of people who have tons of these spicules, looks like they would just be miserable. (And they are.)

I've read that some dentists don't bother with removing the splinters, technically the body is either supposed to reabsorb them, or they just come out on their own eventually. Well, I wasn't about to wait that long - like a thorn it's just something you want to remove.

But yeah, I'm glad it worked out too... if I have more spicules in the future I won't freak out, I'll just know what to do. (Evidently some people use pantyhose to rub over the area - not sure what that's supposed to do, but it's a DIY tip I wouldn't have thought of.)
User avatar Tricycle Rider

06 Mar 2017 20:48

Btw., seeing as I'm halfway expecting more spicules in the near future (being my extractions were rather complicated and messy) I ordered these serrated and curved tweezers that lock into place- just want to make sure I've got the right tool for the job.

I'm almost excited about these future spicules - if the tweezers don't do as described by Amazon I will absolutely return them! (I realize they're meant for microchip work, but all I ask is they grab the spicule right the first time around so that I can then pull it out.)

New and proper tools - they can make any job seem so much more funner! :D

08 Mar 2017 21:27

Right, on to a more fun (and ridiculous) DIY project now... have to color an artificial egg that used to be pink pink again.The backstory...

My 93yr. old client lives in a senior community where someone had planted a couple of those super tacky plastic pink flamingos in the garden, so last year we had decided these flamingos needed some pinks eggs. So we had procured a plastic pink egg, but due to various weather elements it is no longer pink.

My client thought we should just toss it, but then I'm thinking - no way! We can still save this egg!

Am waiting for the egg to dry (it was wet from all the rain), but once it's dry I'm gonna hit it with some pink spray paint. (Cause the paint would probably have been cheaper than buying a whole new plastic egg!)

Anyhoo, and eh, even us "older" folk need to have some fun sometime. :)

Re:

09 Mar 2017 00:03

Tricycle Rider wrote:...
someone had planted a couple of those super tacky plastic pink flamingos in the garden, so last year we had decided these flamingos needed some pinks eggs,

---
Those flamingos aren't tacky - they're 'whimsical', and the pink eggs are an inspired addition.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
JayKosta

Re: Re:

09 Mar 2017 17:06

JayKosta wrote:Those flamingos aren't tacky - they're 'whimsical', and the pink eggs are an inspired addition.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
lol... I suppose that's a nice way of looking at it. Maybe I should get one myself so I can horrify the neighborhood. (For some reason they're selling the flamingos everywhere right now.)

Okay, here's my latest masterpiece... not sure what the damn egg is made of, but I kinda mushed it in one spot. But at least it's more pink now, and I'm kinda hoping it won't melt in the rain. Image

11 Mar 2017 02:44

A couple of updates (cause I know you guys have just been dying for them)...

#1 We've had a lot of rain here recently, I've discovered no flooding in my Bug. So the Flex Seal and paint job I did last summer on the roof seems to be working. (Not sure I'd want to use Flex Seal on a pool, aquarium, or anything that puts heavy water pressure on, but if it's in an area where the water is simply running off it should be okay to use.)

#2 Went to my annual dental exam today, told my dentist about the bone splinter (spicule) from my recent tooth extractions. She said it was totally okay to remove the spicules yourself, as long as it doesn't hurt too much. (If they're too big and too deep I'm gathering that is when it would hurt too much. So then, of course, you would want to see your dentist.)

Anyhoo, that's the latest on my DIYs, I'll see what kind of other trouble I can look for (and try to fix) next.

PS - Jay Kosta, I've been trying to PM you, but not sure my PM went through. (Might need a tip on how to do that.)

Re:

11 Mar 2017 14:06

[quote="[url=http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2074541#p2074541].
PS - Jay Kosta, I've been trying to PM you, but not sure my PM went through. (Might need a tip on how to do that.)[/quote]
--------------------
My browser doesn't highlight the 'new messages' thingy, and I didn't notice that there was one.
Yes it seems to work, but looks like you have since deleted it.
I'll try to watch more carefully.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
JayKosta

11 Mar 2017 15:20

Problem.. bizarre amounts of rain in SCalifornia..water got under the house and weeks after heavy rain it is still pretty wet underneath. There is a crawl space and some entry hatches but they are 2ft sq or less..
Any ideas on how to dry it out?
Unchained

Re:

11 Mar 2017 16:29

Unchained wrote:Problem.. bizarre amounts of rain in SCalifornia..water got under the house and weeks after heavy rain it is still pretty wet underneath. There is a crawl space and some entry hatches but they are 2ft sq or less..
Do you have one of those wet/dry Shop Vacs, by any chance?

(Not that I've ever had to do this, but this is probably the first thing I would try. I'm sure there are much better and more expensive water pumps out there, though.)

Are you expecting more rain? Cause if you are I would start digging some trenches around the house.

Re: Re:

11 Mar 2017 16:34

JayKosta wrote:My browser doesn't highlight the 'new messages' thingy, and I didn't notice that there was one.
Yes it seems to work, but looks like you have since deleted it.
I'll try to watch more carefully.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
Oooops, I'll try again then.

Re:

11 Mar 2017 18:16

Unchained wrote:Problem.. bizarre amounts of rain in SCalifornia..water got under the house and weeks after heavy rain it is still pretty wet underneath. There is a crawl space and some entry hatches but they are 2ft sq or less..
Btw., I'm not a house builder (nor contractor), and a house is a huge investment in more ways than one. So if you're not sure what you're doing it might be for the best you just bite the bullet and hire an actual pro for this.

Cause for all I know the whole foundation of your house may have been compromised by the rain water. (Not trying to scare you or anything, but it's just the reality of things.)

12 Mar 2017 15:19

If there is standing water or puddles, then you should pump or vacuum them out.
For 'wet ground' get several fans for as much ventilation as possible.
Maybe call 'disaster recovery' businesses and ask what type of service they can provide - they might have large heaters that would help.

When the ground has dried, try to find a way to avoid future problems.
Having adequate drainage away from the foundation is key. If water accumulates around the foundation then perhaps some simple shallow trenches would be enough to make it drain better.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
JayKosta

Previous

Return to General