Register

The all purpose global 'Terror' attack topic.

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re: Re:

29 Jul 2016 16:21

jmdirt wrote:
Rechtschreibfehler wrote:So an utterly essentialist perspective tells us why we need diffrent essentialist views to rightfully be racist. Wonderful.

"Islam is not a race, it is not a culture. Like Buddhism and Christianity, Islam is a universalist, conversionist religion." I am not going to do the logic for you. Pathetic nonsense. It's not even about the specific points. If this is the standard of argument, we need to applaude the terrorist and their idiotic counterparts for actually succeding to poison the world, to simply apply their very own hardcore binary essentialistic ****** to everything.

Rethorically it's a good move though, simply assume what you are going to deny, to deny it.(In this case essentialistic views of religion, culture and worst race) "multi racial network" just go bloody **** yourself.

He is doing exactly what he's blaming, how the **** can you not see that? Oh wait sure. It's not about the logic, it's essentialism. If muslims do it it's evil, if "real humas" do it it's like an argument. (Or if anyone says's anything that's not against muslims in general, it's a essentialistic argument anyway, if you don't hate them you are a muslim more or less anyway) "But he said that he's progressive!" Is there a real term in English for a performative contradiction?

Oh an no: I don't think there are only reasons on one side, but the argument is lost anyway. Hate is imperative, fear is imperative, feeling superior is imperative, no responsibillity is imperative. Let's just kill those subhuman ****. What's this reason **** anyway.

Rech, a while back in the refugee thread you called 'racist' on everything that everyone typed. That can't be your only rebuttal, can it? I also remember leaving that thread feeling that the only one with racist ideas was the one calling racist.

Thats unfortunately all to common. What Milo calls the "regressive left". People who have grown up in such privelage and entitlement and are so unused to not getting what they want, that they just break down mentally and start calling people names and other types of abuse, anytime anyone holds a, god forbid, different opinion :eek:
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

30 Jul 2016 11:51

....the War on Terror has undergone a very hugest setback when the rule of law has grasped a great victory victory from the jaws of victory ( or vice versa depending on your perspective ).....pages of free advertising promoting the War are now in jeopardy of being reduced to non-believabilty....

Canada Judge Rules That Police Entrapped Couple in Bomb Plot

By IAN AUSTENJULY 29, 2016

OTTAWA — A Canadian couple who planted what they believed were pressure-cooker bombs outside British Columbia’s legislature in 2013 were freed on Friday after a judge ruled that they had been entrapped by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

The couple, John Stuart Nuttall and Amanda Marie Korody, are recovering drug addicts who once lived on the street. They had been convicted of terrorism-related charges and were possibly facing life in prison because of their actions on Canada Day on July 1, 2013.

But in a scathing decision, Justice Catherine Bruce of the Supreme Court of British Columbia found that the Mounties had instigated the terrorist plot and manipulated the common-law couple.

“The defendants were the foot soldiers, but the undercover officer was the leader of the group,” Justice Bruce wrote in a decision that also dismissed the credibility of testimony by several police officers. “Without the police it would have been impossible for the defendants to carry out the pressure-cooker plan,” she added.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/30/world/americas/canada-rcmp-bc-bomb-plot.html?_r=0

Cheers

User avatar blutto
Veteran

Re:

02 Aug 2016 10:39

Cannibal72 wrote:German media reporting shooters shouted racist insults demeaning Turks. Videos seem pretty clear on this. Looks like a neo-Nazi attack (5th anniversary of Brevik). Tragic.

No it wasn't a neo-Nazi attack. Indeed, early reports that Breveik's manifesto were found in the terrorist's apartment were false. It was just another Islam inspired act of terrorism. Moreover, the terrorist was not Iranian but his family is of Turkish origin.
User avatar biker jk

05 Aug 2016 20:09

Pretty poor to blame terrorism for this. We might as well cancel every sport event then.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

Re:

05 Aug 2016 20:44

El Pistolero wrote:Pretty poor to blame terrorism for this. We might as well cancel every sport event then.

I'd rather see 100 too many sport events cancelled than 1 too few.
Alberto we love you
on the road
you don't need to say this stuff
we saw you on the road
you blessed us with 9 great shows
let's not argue the toss about the official count
you are much bigger than that
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

05 Aug 2016 20:52

Terrorists want to scare people. They want people to stop living life how they please and create terror.

Guess they were successful after all
User avatar PremierAndrew

05 Aug 2016 20:55

LaFlorecita wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:Pretty poor to blame terrorism for this. We might as well cancel every sport event then.

Just 100? Not 1,000? Or 10,000?
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

05 Aug 2016 20:57

Netserk wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:

As many as necessary.
Alberto we love you
on the road
we saw you on the road
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

05 Aug 2016 20:58

LaFlorecita wrote:
Netserk wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:

As many as necessary.

So, just to be safe, no races ever again.

Is it 'just' to avoid attacks on the race, or should other deaths also be avoided at *all* cost?
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

05 Aug 2016 21:00

LaFlorecita wrote:
Netserk wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:

As many as necessary.

Alright, cancel all sport events, no wait, just cancel all events in general.
User avatar Samamba

05 Aug 2016 21:04

Netserk wrote:So, just to be safe, no races ever again.

Is it 'just' to avoid attacks on the race, or should other deaths also be avoided at *all* cost?

No, not "just to be safe". Only if there is a legitimate risk or threat according to the authorities. Same goes for other deaths.
Alberto we love you
on the road
we saw you on the road
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

05 Aug 2016 21:12

Samamba wrote:Alright, cancel all sport events, no wait, just cancel all events in general.

No. You are exaggerating.
How many races have been cancelled in the past few years? How many have been cancelled citing a terrorist threat?
There is your answer. Races don't get cancelled for nothing. When they get cancelled, there is a legitimate reason. Yes, often those races probably could have taken place without an issue, but is the risk really worth taking?
I personally rate human lives higher than my own entertainment.
Alberto we love you
on the road
we saw you on the road
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

05 Aug 2016 21:14

Netserk wrote:What is an illegitimate risk? 0.001%?

I think you've made your point.

I can understand the decision somewhat, but I don't love it. You almost give in to people who do these things, as they want to be feared. On the other hand, cycling is likely to be the most vulnerable sport out there, yet I don't think major sporting events are the most likely targets.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

05 Aug 2016 21:14

Seriously?
Alberto we love you
on the road
we saw you on the road
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

05 Aug 2016 21:40

PremierAndrew wrote:Terrorists want to scare people. They want people to stop living life how they please and create terror.

Guess they were successful after all

Don't worry. ALL events will be cancelled in couple of years.

Few more millions of merkelcrimmigrants means few more hundreds of merkelterrorists.

In Germany it's already a warzone (but you won't get it from the mainstream media): official statistics - one crimmigrant crime EVERY 3 minutes in 2015 (only those reported, obviously), and in 2016 it went even much worse.

Fortunately, these mugs don't know what cycling is, so as a sport it's relatively safe. But of course, major race like Tour de France is another story - I was in Culoz (finish of Grand Colombier stage) and saw twice groups of policemen desperately running to certain place, apparetnly got some warning (and after 10-15 min they were going slowly back to their places).
doperhopper

Re:

05 Aug 2016 22:04

in the spirit of your question, an illegitimate risk would be a risk who's parents were not married.
cantpedal

05 Aug 2016 22:36

LaFlorecita wrote:

The chance you'll die in a terrorist attack is one to 9 million... I'd be worried about other things if I were you. The chance you'll get cancer is one in seven... You're more likely to die in a car accident than in a terrorist attack. Are we going to stop all traffic as well now?

Terrorism is not a real threat to Western society.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

05 Aug 2016 22:44

LaFlorecita wrote:

This.
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

05 Aug 2016 22:47

El Pistolero wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:

The chance you'll die in a terrorist attack is one to 9 million... I'd be worried about other things if I were you. The chance you'll get cancer is one in seven... You're more likely to die in a car accident than in a terrorist attack. Are we going to stop all traffic as well now?

Oh, please. The odds of a plane crash are 1 in 1.2 million flights, globally speaking, but the chance is much higher, say, over a war zone. The chance of a terrorist attack right now, especially in France, is higher than it was a year ago. These things are not cancelled just because of generalized ''fear'' of an attack. Police constantly alter the level of alert state based on intelligence data, we've seen this happen very often since the November attacks, but also in years past. If the risk is high, it is likely big events get cancelled, if it is low, they proceed normally. It is possible Police feel an attack could be imminent. It is also possible (likely, actually) an attack doesn't happen, but the risk is there and we should tread according to evidence instead of gambling. Too bad for the race, though.
''The battle between Démare and Bouhanni for being France's best sprinter is decided: it's Coquard.'' - BBB
User avatar BigMac
Veteran

05 Aug 2016 22:50

El Pistolero wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:

Terrorism is a threat though, we have seem it often lately.

A couple of weeks ago, what were the odds of 85 people dying? One in a billion? Yet it happened. Accomplices may be at large. Erring on the side of caution makes sense to me.
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

PreviousNext

Return to General