Register

Rio Olympics 2016

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re:

20 Aug 2016 21:40

Red Rick wrote:I find Serbians to be pretty good at tennis as well.

Yeah, there's some dude named Djokovic. I hear he's pretty good.
BullsFan22

Re: Re:

20 Aug 2016 21:48

BullsFan22 wrote:

Take a look at this Serbian tennis related series of commercials that runs during ATP/WTA tour.
User avatar sir fly

20 Aug 2016 23:13

It's funny how Justin Gatlin ran the fastest time of the season on the 100 meters in 2014, 2015 and 2016. Yet he has nothing to show for it.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

20 Aug 2016 23:40

sir fly wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:

Take a look at this Serbian tennis related series of commercials that runs during ATP/WTA tour.

LOL. Where did you dig that up??
BullsFan22

21 Aug 2016 00:13

BullsFan22 wrote:
sir fly wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:

LOL. Where did you dig that up??

Serbian sources.
User avatar sir fly

21 Aug 2016 00:55

What the ****? 1.97M gold in high jump? Pathetically low! Thiam, a Heptathlete, jumped 1.98M!
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

Re:

21 Aug 2016 01:07

El Pistolero wrote:What the ****? 1.97M gold in high jump? Pathetically low! Thiam, a Heptathlete, jumped 1.98M!

Wondering what Vlasic is thinking right now. She did 2.00 or higher over a hundred times, and now she's past it and and chronically injured and barely fit enough to do a few meetings a year
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

21 Aug 2016 01:13

Red Rick wrote:
El Pistolero wrote:What the ****? 1.97M gold in high jump? Pathetically low! Thiam, a Heptathlete, jumped 1.98M!

Wondering what Vlasic is thinking right now. She did 2.00 or higher over a hundred times, and now she's past it and and chronically injured and barely fit enough to do a few meetings a year

Honestly, I'd just give the gold medal to the two girls who jumped over 1.98M at the Heptathlon lol. This is ridiculous. :lol:

Lowest jump since 1980 (the boycotted games).

Such a shame Thiam decided to skip the high jump. :(
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

Re: Rio Olympics 2016

21 Aug 2016 01:33

Yeah, I agree with you guys. Really low jumps for any final, let alone the Olympics. Given her form, I think Vlasic should be happy to get a medal, but probably disappointed it's not gold, given it's probably her last Olympics. The athletics in Rio just keep getting weirder though. Some events producing super fast times, while others, not so much. Some field events producing OR's, some not so much.
BullsFan22

21 Aug 2016 02:04

Relay races are so frustrating for small countries like Belgium...

They should have a rule that the 4 same athletes need to run every round. Not to mention the doping history of the 3 countries ahead of us... Or you know... the doping history of all the athletes in the teams ahead of us... Lashawn Merrit and co shouldn't be running anymore if the Russians aren't allowed either.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

21 Aug 2016 08:29

...just caught up with womens 800m...again to me it looked like a bloke cruising ahead

with rest of the field struggling way back

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

21 Aug 2016 09:17

Since the Belgian already has Heptathlon Gold, it would only be fair if the High Jump Gold would go to British Katarina Johnson-Thompson to secure Britain's #2 rank in the medal table.

She jumped 1.98m too:
User avatar SeriousSam

21 Aug 2016 16:40

SeriousSam wrote:Since the Belgian already has Heptathlon Gold, it would only be fair if the High Jump Gold would go to British Katarina Johnson-Thompson to secure Britain's #2 rank in the medal table.

She jumped 1.98m too:

But not on her first try, so according to high jump rules Nafi Thiam takes it. :lol:

If only. :(

Look at that sixpack by the way. You can tell that in track & field the women are every bit as professional and talented as the men. Wish I could say the same about cycling.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

21 Aug 2016 17:49

The referees in the volleyball competition are a joke.
Brullnux

Re:

21 Aug 2016 20:05

Brullnux wrote:The referees in the volleyball competition are a joke.

Wasn't able to follow the volleyball matches today. What happened?
BullsFan22

21 Aug 2016 20:09

Well, these games have been going pretty well. :cool:
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

21 Aug 2016 20:54

BullsFan22 wrote:
Brullnux wrote:The referees in the volleyball competition are a joke.

Wasn't able to follow the volleyball matches today. What happened?

I only properly followed Italy vs Brazil, and there were two, fairly momentum shifting points at 21-22 and 17-15 that were quite weirdly handled. For the first one, it was in the first set and an Italian player spiked and it went out, but he challenged for a touch. In the replay, the ball seemed to (just about) touch the hand, which would've made it 22-22 with Zaytsev on a roll. However, the referee gave it no touch. The Brazil team, after seeing the replay, had already begun to go back to defensive positions, as even they thought the point would go to Italy. 23-21, set Brazil at 25-22.

The second one was weirder, and much more clear cut. Italy recuperating in the third set at 17-15, and Wallace spikes and is called out for net touch. Juantorema who had gone for the block holds his hand in pain, and Brazil then challenge. The replay shows Wallace dragging Juantorema's hand onto the net so the Italian hits it first, through no fault of his own. Surely at this point it is Wallace, who without hitting Juantorema's hand would've hit the net first, who is at fault. I am not 100% sure on the rules at this point, but it is just common sense that when the opponent drags you hand onto the net it is their fault. No, point to Brazil, 17-16. The Italians can't believe it and Juantorema demonstrates saying that his hand was pushed into the net, which it was. So I imagine the rule is what I believe it to be, that if someone drags your hand on the net it is their fault, if a pro volleyball player is so angry. The next point the Italians are in chaos and Gianelli messes up the set and call completely, and it's level. Brazil win set and match and gold medal at 26-24, thanks in no small part to that point. I believe that had it been the other way around, the decision wouldn't have been the same. The beach volleyball final and semi had farcical moments too. Not to mention the booing, which really should (and could) be stopped.
Brullnux

21 Aug 2016 21:03

Funny thing about these gorgeous male elite athletes at the Olympics...

Kayakers and canoeists - all arms, no legs.

Cyclists - all legs and no arms!

Put these two body types together and you'll get yourself the perfect male specimen.

(Just kidding, of course. Any discussion of this will have to take place in the Clinic.)
User avatar Tricycle Rider

21 Aug 2016 23:22

Truly astonished by the hype for the football. Had to watch a highlights vid and the commentator (its the bbc) said at the end.
"you could not have written it, because even if you had, no one would have believed you".

I think this in a nutshell shows what a joke sport has become. Reporters are braindead cheerleaders. Their only job is to insanely hype up every minor thing with absolutely ludicrous and illogical comments like this.

It was a 1-1 draw that went to penalties. Pretty standard procedure in a sport where 1 in 4 games end in a tie and even more in a knockout system where everyone plays scared. In fact most teams that end up in competition finals have to go through penalties at least once and all go through extra time. this is the stuff that "no one would have believed if you had written it". Have these people ever read a book. Clearly you can't have to have a low iq to get this role at the beep and probably no wider cultural influence so that point makes sense.

the other thing, is I don't get the big deal. Did Germany play any of their good players. THe olympic games are an u23 tournament. Some top nations don't even bother entering. The final has been hyped (largely I guess because they wanted to sell a Brazilian truimph) as if it were Brazil winning the world cup at home. They didn't. They had that chance 2 years ago and blew it. the olympic football has never been important, 90% of good players are a million miles away playing domestic leagues which they consider to have a higher value, I'm glad the olympics is only 2 weeks every 4 years.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

21 Aug 2016 23:37

The Hitch wrote:Truly astonished by the hype for the football. Had to watch a highlights vid and the commentator (its the bbc) said at the end.
"you could not have written it, because even if you had, no one would have believed you".

I think this in a nutshell shows what a joke sport has become. Reporters are braindead cheerleaders. Their only job is to insanely hype up every minor thing with absolutely ludicrous and illogical comments like this.

It was a 1-1 draw that went to penalties. Pretty standard procedure in a sport where 1 in 4 games end in a tie and even more in a knockout system where everyone plays scared. In fact most teams that end up in competition finals have to go through penalties at least once and all go through extra time. this is the stuff that "no one would have believed if you had written it". Have these people ever read a book. Clearly you can't have to have a low iq to get this role at the beep and probably no wider cultural influence so that point makes sense.

the other thing, is I don't get the big deal. Did Germany play any of their good players. THe olympic games are an u23 tournament. Some top nations don't even bother entering. The final has been hyped (largely I guess because they wanted to sell a Brazilian truimph) as if it were Brazil winning the world cup at home. They didn't. They had that chance 2 years ago and blew it. the olympic football has never been important, 90% of good players are a million miles away playing domestic leagues which they consider to have a higher value, I'm glad the olympics is only 2 weeks every 4 years.

This.
Watching the game I almost forgot how completely irrelevant football is at the Olympics and that it actually should be as important as the U23 world championship. Men's football should either not be part of the Olympics anymore or they make a new system which makes the best players participate again.
User avatar Gigs_98

PreviousNext

Return to General