Register

Running-thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

30 Mar 2017 16:33

Semper Fidelis wrote:
Tricycle Rider wrote:Pre is in my mind a great story and someone who was a rock star. I came along in life a little after that.

Doping controls? whats that?

Just for fun or just to race both are a good exercise. Wish I lived somewhere on the North West coast or Flagstaff AZ. Running in AZ is a blast.
Pre is such a legend and mythological figure here in Eugene, his legacy heavily contributes to the popularity of running in this area. (Have a couple of Pre posters on my wall and have the "Stop Pre" t-shirt myself.)

The Pre Classic is so popular with the pros, it's amazing the world championships haven't been held here up until now. I know it's because of logistics (or politics), but still, if there's a pro race or pro meet in Eugene you know people will show up for it. (I'm always kinda amazed and kinda sad when I see the seats practically empty at big races being held in New York or somewhere in the Midwest, the running culture just isn't there.)
User avatar Tricycle Rider

30 Mar 2017 18:54

Tricycle Rider wrote:
Semper Fidelis wrote:
Tricycle Rider wrote:Pre is in my mind a great story and someone who was a rock star. I came along in life a little after that.

Doping controls? whats that?

Just for fun or just to race both are a good exercise. Wish I lived somewhere on the North West coast or Flagstaff AZ. Running in AZ is a blast.
Pre is such a legend and mythological figure here in Eugene, his legacy heavily contributes to the popularity of running in this area. (Have a couple of Pre posters on my wall and have the "Stop Pre" t-shirt myself.)

The Pre Classic is so popular with the pros, it's amazing the world championships haven't been held here up until now. I know it's because of logistics (or politics), but still, if there's a pro race or pro meet in Eugene you know people will show up for it. (I'm always kinda amazed and kinda sad when I see the seats practically empty at big races being held in New York or somewhere in the Midwest, the running culture just isn't there.)

I made the trip to Eugene in the mid 80's and ran on the track!

It is The place to be for running. I have the t-shirt which my cousin gave me back in the 70's. Not sure where they got it from because back then ,,,,,there was no interwebs.

I agree about the world championships. That place lives eats and breathes running.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

30 Mar 2017 19:42

Semper Fidelis wrote:
Tricycle Rider wrote:I made the trip to Eugene in the mid 80's and ran on the track!

It is The place to be for running. I have the t-shirt which my cousin gave me back in the 70's. Not sure where they got it from because back then ,,,,,there was no interwebs.

I agree about the world championships. That place lives eats and breathes running.
I got my shirt and my posters at the Pre Classic meets years ago, back then the posters were free. (Now I think you have to order them online and actually pay.) But, the atmosphere at Hayward is just so electrifying.. the crowd starts stomping their feet, we clap for the high and long jumpers in rhythm because they cue us to, and we always cheer on those who have managed to be lapped and come in dead last.

Alas, ticket prices for the meet have gone way up (and I've grown way too disenchanted with all the doping), so I haven't been in years. But if any fans of track and running have a chance to attend the Pre Classic just once I'd highly recommend it. (I'd dread to think how much the tickets for the world championships will cost.)

PS - Here's one of the posters from one of the meets I went to, for obvious reasons it's no longer hanging on my wall. But I'm still keeping it as a lark.

28 Apr 2017 22:24

Whoa, apparently the most splendid of athletes will be running at the Pre Classic this year. (Don't think the organizers would want me as their doping control overlord, however.)

http://eugene.diamondleague.com/program_results_eugene/

14 Nov 2017 21:54

A'ight, any of you fellow Yanks getting ready for a Thanksgiving Day run or walk this year?

Dad and me are getting ready for the annual Turkey Stuffer 5k in Springfield, OR, right now, we used to run it all the time about a decade ago. But being dad had a heart attack earlier this summer and I'm in less-than-ideal shape we've just decided we're going to walk it this year.

We already have a strategy - we're going to walk behind the baby stroller people, and if the weather gets too ****** (which it always is anyway), or he needs to take his nitro we'll just turn back and go back home.

Either way we'll get our t-shirts, and it should be fun to see all the other people who show up in costumes and such. (And dad and I always like to make fun of the runners who take this fun race much too seriously. :))

Previous

Return to General