Register

Running-thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

25 Jan 2018 14:25

Yup, another half marathon on the 10th of February. I have not been on a run since, but I think I have a decent base, so I don't plan on doing more than four 10 km runs or so before.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

31 Mar 2018 11:24

I went for 1.43 on a half-marathon today on a completely flat route (it was a little windy and muddy though, so not super optimal still). Im pretty happy with that time considering I haven't run for a few weeks, just focusing on the bike and going for some decent rides. And it seems to translate just fine, it was kinda of an experiment just to cycle - I cramped a bit up on the last 5 km, but still, that was very much to be expected...

Thinking of 1.35 next time, and then 1.30 at some point in 2018. Lets see if I can do that...
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

01 Apr 2018 03:42

Valv.Piti wrote:I went for 1.43 on a half-marathon today on a completely flat route (it was a little windy and muddy though, so not super optimal still). Im pretty happy with that time considering I haven't run for a few weeks, just focusing on the bike and going for some decent rides. And it seems to translate just fine, it was kinda of an experiment just to cycle - I cramped a bit up on the last 5 km, but still, that was very much to be expected...

Thinking of 1.35 next time, and then 1.30 at some point in 2018. Lets see if I can do that...

How do your shins feel after not running for a few weeks? I can understand the cardio from riding helping the running, but what your shins?
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

29 Jun 2018 21:04

Good-bye, Historical Hayward Field. :cry:

http://katu.com/news/local/west-grandstand-coming-down-at-uos-hayward-field

Wasn't ever much of a runner, but I certainly appreciated walking to Hayward Field and watching the pros strut their stuff at the annual Prefontaine Classic.

In my mind this remodeling of Hayward Field is just another way of Phil Knight flaunting his money, hopefully the new generations of track and fielders will know what to do with it.
User avatar Tricycle Rider

06 Jul 2018 08:20

never thought I would add to this thread but new dog...new attitude

been running along with the dog and on my own up to an hour+

running philosophy....only run interesting places unpaved as much as poss

with greatest altitude change woodland/single track/open grassland

NEVER wear fitness tracker don't run further than manage comfortably without water

have zero idea of time taken/distance covered ENJOY that calm zone

breath/step.................breath/step

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

Re:

06 Jul 2018 15:39

ebandit wrote:never thought I would add to this thread but new dog...new attitude

been running along with the dog and on my own up to an hour+

running philosophy....only run interesting places unpaved as much as poss

with greatest altitude change woodland/single track/open grassland

NEVER wear fitness tracker don't run further than manage comfortably without water

have zero idea of time taken/distance covered ENJOY that calm zone

breath/step.................breath/step

Mark L

I stopped racing (mountain bikes) and just ride because I enjoy it now. One of the best things beyond the actual ride, is not giving a crap about time, distance, HR, etc. Stop and watch the hawks hunt, ride, stop and watch the coyote hunt, ride, that was a cool section...turn around ride it again, listen to the tires, hear the birds... In another thread several were shocked that I don't even take my phone with me.

To keep on topic here: Running used to be a bad weather cross-training for me so even though I didn't enjoy running so much in itself, I did like the freedom from data.
jmdirt

06 Jul 2018 18:15

Read about the multiple benefits of running over walking.. running also seems to manipulate you chemically in were the substances that make you hungry are slightly surppressed..so not only do you get the benefits but you also feel less like attending the Pizza Hut buffet..in S.Cal the go-to for places to eat your body weight in food is Soup Plantation...

When I run people stop and ask me if they can please, please, please give me a ride wherever I am going..
the police stop me after identifying that I am not a heel striker or landing on my toes first.. but instead that my whole foot makes contact at the same time..
making it uncomfortable for everyone who sees me.. possibly damaging to the surface I am running on.
.my latest New Balance @998 are still looking good from lack of use..
When I see people running..or kind of gliding effortless..I get a mix of angry and jealous.. when I go shopping or get something to drink I see those same people miles from where they started... still levitating and looking fresh..as if the last 4 or 8 miles went unnoticed and unregistered on their pain meter...
I think the should be arrested for my sake..
God bless anyone who can run..
* Side note for anybody who loves athletic competition.. if you can go to the Boston or NYC marathon and sit near a hill or @15-18 miles into the race.. you will be in absolute awe as they elite runners pass.. it's full speed..sprinting for normal people.. impressive at the very least..
Unchained

10 Jul 2018 09:05

Unchained wrote:God bless anyone who can run..

we can ALL run..................although most are like myself and not so fast....I am however

a little vain.............at whatever stage of run..starting or after an hour I want it to appear

to others that it's all 'no effort'..........and mostly I succeed ..im tall and skinny

this week had a couple of LOL moments...walking to shops I passed a jogger

running with my dog............I passed a cyclist on an MTB

now continuing the zen theme.............I run wearing whatever i'm wearing that day...casual shorts

tee... cheap socks and bargain basement trainers

actually? I will run in anything ....hiking boots when grass is wet

I really don't get the 'con' of expensive trainers

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

14 Jul 2018 04:47

Didn't know this thread existed. Been a competitive runner my whole life. I run waay more than I ride, as the username implies. Cheers to everyone just starting out, keeping the streak going or just doing what they've always done on two feet.
More Strides than Rides

Re: Running-thread

14 Jul 2018 18:08

Really love the photo of the late great Betty Cuthbert
https://goo.gl/images/FCGNRb from 6+ decades ago
in Sydney July 1952 years before her 100/200/4x100
triple Olympic Gold Medal performance in Melbourne
1956 and her 400m. Olympic Gold in Tokyo 1964.

It's always fun to compare and contrast the times and
performances from different eras, however, today the
girls do not compete in their school uniforms including
buttoned blouse and tie!
Last edited by oldcrank on 18 Aug 2018 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar oldcrank

14 Jul 2018 18:51

Never knew anything about Betty Cuthbert..read a few good bits..worked hard for MS advocacy..the old photos are fascinating.. Australia had a population of @8.5 million back then..
Grew up in Paradise Vally\Scottsdale Arizona....Jesse Owens was on TV..doing public service announcement stuff.he was pretty old..it was many years later I got exposure to what his Olympic victory meant for him and Hitler..
I am always floored by early Australian athletics...landmass is equal to the U.S. ..it's like a big pie were everyone lives along the crust..I can't get over how many awesome athletes come out of this place!!!then and now..
Unchained

14 Jul 2018 20:48

There are two Prefontaine movies and one documentary if you want to watch some old running stuff.
jmdirt

Re:

14 Jul 2018 21:08

jmdirt wrote:There are two Prefontaine movies and one documentary if you want to watch some old running stuff.

YouTube..Netfix..?
Unchained

Re: Re:

15 Jul 2018 01:44

Unchained wrote:
jmdirt wrote:There are two Prefontaine movies and one documentary if you want to watch some old running stuff.

YouTube..Netfix..?

Its been a while, I probably rented them at Blockbuster. Netflix has one, plus they might be on YouTube.
jmdirt

15 Jul 2018 02:06

I will search around.. I'm sure there is something.. don't want to break your dirt-y heart.. just saw that there is only one Blockbuster video store left in the US..
Unchained

Re:

15 Jul 2018 03:14

Unchained wrote:I will search around.. I'm sure there is something.. don't want to break your dirt-y heart.. just saw that there is only one Blockbuster video store left in the US..

I thought that they were all closed until I saw the headline about the the 'only one' in Bend, OR.
jmdirt

15 Jul 2018 04:18

Chris Horner lives in Bend.. if he is not still trying to be a pro bike racer he will surely go down and pick up a beat up copy of Forrest Gump or Bettlejuice for you on VHS.. maybe some Goobers or Milk Duds... so you will know that hope exists..

On running..I am still watching running stuff on YouTube..OMG.. Donald Sutherland plays Fontaine's coach and the guy from Breaking Bad is part of the coaching staff..Hank.. there is a few awesome videos of Dave Wottle... the entire 1972 Olympic thing is epic... lots of memories of ABC wide world of sports announcers.. these guys don't look like they did anything other than run and not eat for training!!!!
I don't feel bad..or not that bad about myself eating cold pizza watching running videos..at least I am watching running.. that's a start.
I am going for Zola Budd for desert..
Unchained

15 Jul 2018 04:28

Can't vouch for the quality being I haven't seen this doc in many years, but here's -

Steve Prefontaine - Fire On The Track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXF0MxTwNys

Re:

16 Jul 2018 20:44

Unchained wrote:I am going for Zola Budd for desert..
You must be really old (or at least my age) if your remember that story...

Was this at the '84 LA Olympics where Zola Budd wore no shoes, and she somehow clipped Mary Decker who then cried foul?

The drama back then, kids, the DRAMA!

EDIT - I never found fault with either runner, according to Wiki they now both accept some level of responsibility.

**** just happens during a race, ladies and gents, **** just happens.

Previous

Return to General