Log in:  

Register

Running-thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

27 Mar 2017 14:02

I set my 5k and 10k PRs when I was in my early 30s. My speed is long gone, but I can grind out hard tempo for a lot longer. I know a lot of people who rave about Boston too. But, I have no regrets on that count. I have run a number of the Rock N Roll 1/2's and I far prefer the medium size races where you can find breathing room. If I would run one of the big ones, I think I would prefer Chicago to Boston or NYC. But at the end of the day, I may have run a marathon, but I am not a marathoner. I never got addicted!
djpbaltimore
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,807
Joined: 09 Jun 2014 13:41
Location: Baltimore, MD

27 Mar 2017 14:16

Sad to say that all my PR's were set when I was 20 to 24.
(5k 14:32) (10k 30:46) cant remember my half. full Marathon 2:28:53---- Unless I cheat like some of Iron Man folks I have read about then my PR's are done and dusted.

Boston just like all other Marathons has its pro's and con's.

Chicago I hear from previous training partners that it is good.

What used to be many mid sized races that offered multiple distances in the same race are all much to large now. Austin for example was a very good small to mid sized event now it is a monster. Same goes for Houston.
Mardi Gras marathon used to be one of my favorites until the Rock and Roll crap came along. They ruined it for me. It is a business now I get it. AnyWho rant is over.

It is addictive, just depends on how much you let it get ya.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,907
Joined: 07 Dec 2010 15:53
Location: New Orleans

Re: Re:

28 Mar 2017 09:21

Archibald wrote:
King Boonen wrote:Running was my thing for a while, mainly trail running but I did the London Marathon in '08. Unfortunately I tore my calf 3 months before it so didn't get to finish my training. A friend and I had aimed for 3:30, we were on for close to 3 at the half way stage but his back went around mile 18 and my calf went at around 21. Limped home in 4:16. Not really done much running since, I get to see more when I cycle, but I have thought about dusting off my trail shoes and hitting the West Highland Way for a few miles to see how it feels.

Funny story... I did the london marathon in '08. Was on track for a proper result til 2 weeks before when it all went t*ts up. My final two weeks training consisted of one 5km run 2 day before the marathon. So, plan was shot, and just decided to enjoy a 'casual' run on the course taking it the atmosphere of the event. Result... 4.16


To tricycle rider - I much preferred half marathons and have done loads. Haven't run one for a few years, nor done one for myself for a while - mostly just pacing and encouraging others who're giving them a go...


Small world!

Tricycle Rider, I like to get out and see as much as I can, that's why I always did long distances/trail running etc. It's also why I now ride bikes much more instead.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 5,794
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

28 Mar 2017 10:30

Running certainly can be addictive, I always loved the runner's high. (I think there's been some questions lately as to whether such a thing exists, or why it does, but I'm pretty sure whatever it is I've felt it.)

To King Boonen - saw this vid of the Philadelphia Love Run just now, it made me think of you and your friend. (Not sure which one of you was carrying the other across the finish line. :lol: ) While I do think this kind of desire to finish is slightly perturbing I do understand it.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39414640
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,472
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

28 Mar 2017 14:06

I'm almost certain that we did cross with arms round each others shoulders, can't quite remember who was holding up who or if it was a house of cards, leaning on each other kind of situation :D
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 5,794
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re:

28 Mar 2017 16:52

Semper Fidelis wrote:Sad to say that all my PR's were set when I was 20 to 24.
(5k 14:32) (10k 30:46) cant remember my half. full Marathon 2:28:53---- Unless I cheat like some of Iron Man folks I have read about then my PR's are done and dusted.

Boston just like all other Marathons has its pro's and con's.

Chicago I hear from previous training partners that it is good.

What used to be many mid sized races that offered multiple distances in the same race are all much to large now. Austin for example was a very good small to mid sized event now it is a monster. Same goes for Houston.
Mardi Gras marathon used to be one of my favorites until the Rock and Roll crap came along. They ruined it for me. It is a business now I get it. AnyWho rant is over.

It is addictive, just depends on how much you let it get ya.


Decent PR's dude.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,837
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

Re:

28 Mar 2017 20:29

djpbaltimore wrote: I quit running organized events a few years ago as my collection of race shirts was getting excessive.
I had to larf at this... most of my t-shirts come from the Turkey Stuffer 5k. (It's a local fun run on the morning of Thanksgiving Day - lots of people still show up for it, though, some even wear costumes.) But now that my t-shirts are all falling apart I may have to run the Turkey Stuffer again. (Hung up my running shoes about 10 years ago.)

Hotdamn, this thread is making want to run again, not sure how well the knees and shins will hold up, though. Oh, who cares? Given enough encouragement I may just feel the need for speed again and get my running shoes out!

Speaking of shoes - I was always partial to Asics Gels, but one time I got a pair of some kind of a Nike shoe as gift, they seemed to fit pretty well as well. (Everybody is different in this regard, though, I realize that.)
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,472
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

Re: Re:

28 Mar 2017 20:56

King Boonen wrote:
Archibald wrote:
Tricycle Rider, I like to get out and see as much as I can, that's why I always did long distances/trail running etc. It's also why I now ride bikes much more instead.
Meant to reply to this earlier - I like the bike because it gets you further faster. You get to see more stuff. But running is so much less maintenance in that you don't have to worry about the bike. (Checking the tire pressure, checking the brakes, getting all dressed for the weather before you ever leave the house, etc.) With running you just throw on a pair of decent shoes and off you go!

Both activities have their own merits, though, so whatever rings your bell is cool by me.
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,472
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

Re: Re:

28 Mar 2017 22:38

Jspear wrote:
Decent PR's dude.
You guys seem to be so serious about your PRs. Was there any money, or contracts, at stake here?
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,472
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

Re:

28 Mar 2017 23:16

Tricycle Rider wrote:Running certainly can be addictive, I always loved the runner's high. (I think there's been some questions lately as to whether such a thing exists, or why it does, but I'm pretty sure whatever it is I've felt it.)

serotonin (endorphins) release that occurs about 35-45mins into medium intensity exercise/activity

Tricycle Rider wrote:Speaking of shoes - I was always partial to Asics Gels, but one time I got a pair of some kind of a Nike shoe as gift, they seemed to fit pretty well as well. (Everybody is different in this regard, though, I realize that.)

used to use Asics a while back - quality runners.
I switched after a podiatrist informed me that my foot pronation wasn't the same as everyone else (well the 5% of humans that roll outwards). Been using Brooks ever since, and only the one model that suits my feet - made a massive difference from the first use and never looked back
User avatar Archibald
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,648
Joined: 15 Jun 2009 17:03

Re: Re:

29 Mar 2017 01:58

Tricycle Rider wrote:
Jspear wrote:
Decent PR's dude.
You guys seem to be so serious about your PRs. Was there any money, or contracts, at stake here?


Can't speak for Semper Fidelis, but yes PR's are important! :cool: Me being better than my mates is just as important as AC beating Froome. Money or no money. :p
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,837
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

Re: Re:

29 Mar 2017 08:25

Tricycle Rider wrote:
Jspear wrote:
Decent PR's dude.
You guys seem to be so serious about your PRs. Was there any money, or contracts, at stake here?


Based on the times no. Semper was quick, but very good club runner quick rather than turning pro quick.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 5,794
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re: Re:

29 Mar 2017 17:36

Tricycle Rider wrote:
Jspear wrote:
Decent PR's dude.
You guys seem to be so serious about your PRs. Was there any money, or contracts, at stake here?

While PR's are different than most, I still think about the good ole days. And maybe the good OLD days to come.

In my hay day. I did not have to pay for any entry or travel. Was given free shoes and gear. Was on a club corporate team for ekiden's and marathons while living in Japan. Does that count?
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,907
Joined: 07 Dec 2010 15:53
Location: New Orleans

Re: Re:

29 Mar 2017 17:40

King Boonen wrote:
Tricycle Rider wrote:
Jspear wrote:
Decent PR's dude.
You guys seem to be so serious about your PRs. Was there any money, or contracts, at stake here?


Based on the times no. Semper was quick, but very good club runner quick rather than turning pro quick.

My real goal back then - No joke was to run 2:22 in order to qualify to show up for the Olympic trials in the United States. Never even got close. 6 min might well have been 1 hour because I was never able to do the training required. I done really good training but back then the info I had was purely what I was told by training friends or the occasional "coach".
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,907
Joined: 07 Dec 2010 15:53
Location: New Orleans

Re: Re:

29 Mar 2017 17:42

Jspear wrote:
Tricycle Rider wrote:
Jspear wrote:
Decent PR's dude.
You guys seem to be so serious about your PRs. Was there any money, or contracts, at stake here?


Can't speak for Semper Fidelis, but yes PR's are important! :cool: Me being better than my mates is just as important as AC beating Froome. Money or no money. :p

Even now without having competed in a very long time, I still will be looking at age group times for the 45-50year olds when I toe the line come next year for my first marathon in well over 10 years.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,907
Joined: 07 Dec 2010 15:53
Location: New Orleans

29 Mar 2017 18:45

Semper where you 5k and 10k times on the track, they are really high quality times, I did a 1:33 half marathon in the great North Run in my late 20s and a 4.40 1500m in my early twenties though I had a long spell between hardly running at all, my only Marathon was the Edinburgh when I was 47, my training was interrupted towards the end with a niggling injury and after feeling good at the start I hit the wall at 18 miles and finished around 4 hours 25 minutes, having done the first 10k in 48 minutes and 1h 50 minutes at the half marathon point. Never had a wall experience like it on a bike.

Also Semper how many miles a week where you doing at your prime
del1962
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,021
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 17:20

Re:

29 Mar 2017 19:09

del1962 wrote:Semper where you 5k and 10k times on the track, they are really high quality times, I did a 1:33 half marathon in the great North Run in my late 20s and a 4.40 1500m in my early twenties though I had a long spell between hardly running at all, my only Marathon was the Edinburgh when I was 47, my training was interrupted towards the end with a niggling injury and after feeling good at the start I hit the wall at 18 miles and finished around 4 hours 25 minutes, having done the first 10k in 48 minutes and 1h 50 minutes at the half marathon point. Never had a wall experience like it on a bike.

Also Semper how many miles a week where you doing at your prime

The 5k was on a track. The 10k was a point to point road course in Japan.

Your 1500 time proves you have speed. The hardest thing in the world to do is train properly for running. That is why there are so many of these low mileage gimmicks out in the running world that people will pay to join.

I would run 80 miles a week in my base training for the marathon. But my average was about 65 to 75 depending on the point in training and what my focus was on. I was and still am a big believer in mileage = results. Many people today will tell you that is a recipe for injury. My answer to that is everyone is truly different but to be a runner who want to either pretend to be serious or be serious you need mileage. I never have been injured in my running lifetime. I started running when I was 14 and i'm 47 about to be 48.

Back in the day when I was a bit more brash I would say to folks who said that tooooo many miles will get you injured ,,,, I would come back and say how do you know? Have you ever tried high mileage? My opinion has changed a bit because I have meet many people who based on actual talent should not be running but they still manage to get in some quality training and enjoy running.

You should do another marathon. That is a good time and considering you had never experienced "the wall" it is a humbling experience. I had ran about 30 marathons before I had ever truly hit the wall. It was one of the times that I actually thought why would anyone try to run through this.

I have never hit the wall in cycling but I have had cramps so bad that I had to stop and walk. That was very similar to the wall in running.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,907
Joined: 07 Dec 2010 15:53
Location: New Orleans

29 Mar 2017 20:28

Thanks for the reply Semper, from what I remember my mileage when younger maxed out at about 50 miles a week, though this would only be briefly not over a long period, but the improvements at that mileage where great, I read the book running the Lydiard way (I think that was its name) which helped, though I don't think mileage is the only thing, Interval training is important to run faster. I kind of agree with you on injuries and mileage with the proviso that mileage and intensity is build up gradually, most of my problems have come from trying to return from a layoff to quickly, I would like to do a Marathon again just to do it without walking towards the end as I don't feel I truly completed it, but I am now 54 and not getting any younger and prefer riding a bike now.
del1962
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,021
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 17:20

Re: Re:

30 Mar 2017 15:30

Semper Fidelis wrote:In my hay day. I did not have to pay for any entry or travel. Was given free shoes and gear. Was on a club corporate team for ekiden's and marathons while living in Japan. Does that count?
Yes, I think you qualified for doping control. :p

No entry fees... I don't know what such a thing is. Aside from the pro races like the Prefontaine Classic we have lots of charity races here in Track Town, USA, I think they're a blast. The running culture is so huge here - some people take their racing very seriously (the ones who are constantly checking their watches like Froome checks his power meter), others are there just for the fun of if. But either way we amateurs all have to pay for our entry.
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,472
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

Re: Re:

30 Mar 2017 15:50

Tricycle Rider wrote:
Semper Fidelis wrote:In my hay day. I did not have to pay for any entry or travel. Was given free shoes and gear. Was on a club corporate team for ekiden's and marathons while living in Japan. Does that count?
Yes, I think you qualified for doping control. :p

No entry fees... I don't know what such a thing is. Aside from the pro races like the Prefontaine Classic we have lots of charity races here in Track Town, USA, I think they're a blast. The running culture is so huge here - some people take their racing very seriously (the ones who are constantly checking their watches like Froome checks his power meter), others are there just for the fun of if. But either way we amateurs all have to pay for our entry.

Pre is in my mind a great story and someone who was a rock star. I came along in life a little after that.

Doping controls? whats that?

Just for fun or just to race both are a good exercise. Wish I lived somewhere on the North West coast or Flagstaff AZ. Running in AZ is a blast.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,907
Joined: 07 Dec 2010 15:53
Location: New Orleans

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Back to top