Register

Moto GP

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Moto GP

07 Sep 2009 03:11

Thought I'd take this opportunity to be the first one to post in the new cafe section.

I offer you the greatest motorcycle racer ever...... Valentino Rossi
“I was a bandit. If Boonen is the God of Belgian cycling, then I’m the Devil."
[SIZE="2"]~Roger De Vlaeminck[/SIZE]
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

07 Sep 2009 03:20

RDV4ROUBAIX wrote:Thought I'd take this opportunity to be the first one to post in the new cafe section.

He is pretty damn good. One of my best friends at university was a keen endurance rider and loved the 500cc grand prixes. Wayne Gardner won the world championship around this time and I got hooked as well. Then came Mick Doohan - legendary in his own right and tough as nails. Rossi still takes the cake, but Mick is very much up there.
"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
User avatar elapid

07 Sep 2009 03:24

Best helmet livery he's ever done, with his bugged out eyes.:eek: That photo was from Mugello last year. The Master of Mugello.
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

07 Sep 2009 03:31

Can't help it. I just have to laugh every time I see that.
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

07 Sep 2009 03:53

Incredible life story too. It's a shame he's not as colourful as he use to be. I remember Dorna asked him to tone it down, only to realise the mistake they'd made because his (and the fan club's) post-race antics were what many were showing up for.

I'll never forget the first time I went to Malaysia either. Every year he rocks up and sees all those kits riding scooters with '46' on their helmets, must make his proud.

Cheers
Greg Johnson
Greg Johnson

07 Sep 2009 05:00

Remember Laguna Seca last year, the battle with Rossi and Stoner?!!??!

I've heard spectating stories about spilt beer, spilt tears, and people going into convulsions like they just witnessed the hand of God coming down and steering Rossi through the corkscrew.
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

07 Sep 2009 05:30

RDV4ROUBAIX wrote:Thought I'd take this opportunity to be the first one to post in the new cafe section.

I beg to differ. My vote goes to Kenny Roberts. They dug out his Tz750 flat tracker 2 weeks ago and Kenny took 3 hot laps. Rossi was next up for a ride but declined. Rossi is looking to ride flat track. But the TZ750 still is a widowmaker.
Don't forget two talents who passed before they could shine who rode for HD and where headed for europe. Renzo Pasolini and Calvin Lee Rayborn.
Mike Hailwood on the Honda Six. Agostini! on the MV. Yvon du Hamel riding for Kawasaki. Paul Smart.
spent a lot of time trackside. nothing better than smelling 2 strokes burning castor bean oil
ah heck they are all good.
When in doubt, Gas it!
User avatar krebs303
Veteran

07 Sep 2009 05:43

Somehow krebs303, I had a feeling you'd be the first one to jump all over this one.:D

Rossi still the best.... Ever.:p ... and he's not even done yet, that's the crazy part.
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

07 Sep 2009 05:47

RDV4ROUBAIX wrote:Rossi still the best.... Ever.:p ... and he's not even done yet, that's the crazy part.

young whipper snapper:)
User avatar krebs303
Veteran

07 Sep 2009 06:35

Greg Johnson wrote:It's a shame he's not as colourful as he use to be.

Remember this one back in his 250cc days

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlNDVpbYY3c
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

Yep, Rossi the best

07 Sep 2009 07:27

But it's a damn shame we never saw him race Mick Doohan.

The other thing that Rossi gets about sport that is that the fans ultimately pay his salary.

While the specifics don't quite translate (though Robbie McEwen does a pretty decent finishing wheelie...) the principle is something that everyone involved in professional cycle racing should keep in mind.
rgmerk

07 Sep 2009 14:18

Ok, so you've put this thread under the title "Moto GP" but then say that you reckon that Rossi is the greatest motocycle racer ever ... So I reckon that your second comment gives me a chance to throw a dirt rider into the fray ... (Open question - how come so few people on this forum think about off road racing? Is everyone who reads cyclingnews now just roadies?? :confused:)

No discussion of the best motorcycle racer can be had without reference to Stefan Everts - the Belgian motocrosser. Not only has he won more world titles than Rossi, he's also picked up a whole heap of other titles - like being a part of MX Des Nations winning teams and winning the overall in ISDE enduro races ... As one of the other posters said, Rossi wont touch anything other than a GP bike, so I reckon that gives Everts one up in itself (since enduro is way different to motocross). And of course there's the fact that racing on the dirt/mud/sand/whatever that the motocross circuit throws at the riders every year adds another whole dimension ... :)
kiwirider

07 Sep 2009 16:44

Yes, Everts was good, 'was' being the operative word. Rossi is still racing, and 4 races away from being crowned with a ninth world title. If you compare the overall records of Rossi and Everts side by side, well... it's not even close.
I appreciate Motocross, don't get me wrong. Heck, I grew up on a YZ 250, but comparing Motocross to Moto GP, is like WRC to F1.
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

07 Sep 2009 17:08

RDV4ROUBAIX wrote:Yes, Everts was good, 'was' being the operative word. Rossi is still racing, and 4 races away from being crowned with a ninth world title. If you compare the overall records of Rossi and Everts side by side, well... it's not even close.
I appreciate Motocross, don't get me wrong. Heck, I grew up on a YZ 250, but comparing Motocross to Moto GP, is like WRC to F1.

Ten world titles to Everts across all classes, 8 to Rossi (as you say, pretty much destined to be 9). Rossi with about 5 more race wins than Everts has in MX - which doesn't count things like MDN and ISDE. All still sounds pretty close to me! ;)

But yeah, I do agree that it will be interesting to see what Rossi does over the next few years - will be interesting to see how many more titles he can pick up ...

And as for the comparison being like WRC vs F1 - considering that F1 has become such a procession with pit stops becoming as important as track time and - save for the brilliance of Loeb - WRC still being very much about driver and car vs driver, car and elements, I don't think that you're helping your argument ... :)

On that note - my training buddy's just texted me, so it's time for a road ride .... :rolleyes:
kiwirider

07 Sep 2009 17:18

kiwirider wrote:so it's time for a road ride .... :rolleyes:

Road ride??? After all this dirt talk?? HA-ha:D

Same here brother, except I've got dirt roads planned in my road ride. See you back here later. I'm sure of it.;)
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

07 Sep 2009 23:24

RDV4ROUBAIX wrote:Road ride??? After all this dirt talk?? HA-ha:D

Same here brother, except I've got dirt roads planned in my road ride. See you back here later. I'm sure of it.;)

Does it make it better or worse that I was riding my cross bike with road tyres on it?? :confused:
kiwirider

08 Sep 2009 00:45

Kudos, I was crossing on road tires too. Just rolled in. 62mi.
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

08 Sep 2009 01:00

Rossi .... definately the best ever so far ....... but wait .... whats that I hear???

Rossi saying at this years Isle of Man TT that those riders are crazy ??

Maybe some of the guys pulling parts of house bricks and shrubbery out of their leathers deserve a mention. I saw one camera angle from the riders point of view and he was turning blind into corners at 200mile an hour.

What the ????:eek::eek::eek::eek:
Barracuda

08 Sep 2009 02:21

There's a difference between skill and bravery/foolhardiness.

Are the Manx TT riders skilful, compared to 99.9% of all motorcyclists? Sure. Are they as skilled as Rossi? Not a chance.

What they are prepared to do is take risks that Rossi isn't prepared to take (I suspect he's also contractually barred from doing so, but the absence of the GP riders dates from Giacomo Agostini refusing to race there, if I recall correctly).

Given the number of riders killed and seriously injured, I tend to the view that the Isle of Man TT riders are foolhardy. I wouldn't dream of telling people what risks they should or shouldn't take, but there's no way in the world that, even if I had the talent to race a motorcycle there, I would do so.
rgmerk

08 Sep 2009 02:35

rgmerk wrote:There's a difference between skill and bravery/foolhardiness.

Are the Manx TT riders skilful, compared to 99.9% of all motorcyclists? Sure. Are they as skilled as Rossi? Not a chance.

What they are prepared to do is take risks that Rossi isn't prepared to take (I suspect he's also contractually barred from doing so, but the absence of the GP riders dates from Giacomo Agostini refusing to race there, if I recall correctly).

Given the number of riders killed and seriously injured, I tend to the view that the Isle of Man TT riders are foolhardy. I wouldn't dream of telling people what risks they should or shouldn't take, but there's no way in the world that, even if I had the talent to race a motorcycle there, I would do so.

Am I to assume that you are saying that the TT riders couldnt cut it on the track with the likes of Rossi?

Im not saying that they arent taking huge risks but does that make them foolhardy? Im not so sure. I reckon to do that you need a huge amount of talent and admittedly yes, not a great deal of respect for your health, but surely to get away with a fast clean lap deserves some recognition of high skill levels?? IMO.
Barracuda

Next

Return to General