Register

2017 Masters (golf)

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, peloton, Alpe d'Huez, Eshnar, Red Rick, King Boonen, Tonton, Pricey_sky

Re: 2017 Masters (golf)

09 Apr 2017 14:36

Tricycle Rider wrote:Anyhoo, don't think Jordan Spieth can repeat and win the ugly green jacket again, but I like the kid, so I'll be rooting for him.

Don't look now, but after a bumpy start, he's two strokes back heading into the final round.

Golf bored me as a kid, but both my dad and uncle played it, and were good at it before I was born. They liked to relax in the recliner and taught me to admire the skill and beauty in it.

I have a lot of respect for Gary Player for two reasons. One is he spoke out against apartheid when a lot of people were just mum about it, and he could have been too coming from a sport dominated by white, often wealthy people. Also, he was the first major golfer to speak out about PED use in golf, to lift that ugly (if obvious) veil, and push for testing, when no one wanted to hear that, and some called him a fool. That took guts.

The only thing that made Tiger interesting was his pumped up, joyful reactions when making a good shot, and the color of his skin in a white man's sport was refreshing. Other than that, the guy sold his soul to Nike, and was a fraud of a human. It bothers me that we still get articles here in the US all the time about him, even though he hasn't played well in years, and his story long ago became irrelevant.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

09 Apr 2017 15:08

From Player, back in 1987:
"In South Africa, we have a terrible system in apartheid... It's almost a cancerous disease... Yes, the system is terrible, but not the people. We have great people in South Africa--black, white, Indian and Chinese. We have an assortment of people, wonderful people."

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-04-24/sports/sp-499_1_gary-player

And from 2007, on PED use in golf:

http://www.golf.com/ap-news/gary-player-alleges-drug-use-golf

I don't want to get too far into the Clinic, thus no quotes here, but here's an article showing Player was right.

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2015/08/05/world-anti-doping-agency-testing-golf-performance-enhancing-drugs-steroids-12319/
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

10 Apr 2017 00:25

Ha? Gary Player was known for being racist only changing when the regime was collapsing, or at least what I got from wiki.

''In 1966, he espoused openly racist views and support for the apartheid policies of Hendrik Verwoerd in his book "Grand Slam Golf"

Anyway Sergion finally won <3 Never been happier for golf player winning
Gloin22

10 Apr 2017 05:37

Congrats for Sergio Garcia. Most deserving winner of a Major after so many near misses.

Yesterday was the day for the nearly men !
User avatar the asian

10 Apr 2017 08:38

Even though I backed Rose I couldn't feel bitter about that result. A great final round and glad Sergio has finally won a big one.
User avatar Pricey_sky

10 Apr 2017 12:16

Big congrats to Sergio from the US. The Masters couldn't have had a finer winner, and he really pulled it together after falling behind, then missing the put on 18. To hold it together and keep cool after that, that took fortitude. Fortitude of a champion.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

10 Apr 2017 14:19

At last Sergio wins a major, maybe Lee Westwood's time is yet to come. (Don't think he's that old yet, 43 is the new 23.)

The US Open comes next, think I like that one better because the course changes every year and it doesn't have that air of exclusivity and snootiness about it like the Masters does. Where the heck are they playing this year, have to look it up... oh, somewhere in Wisconsin.

Interesting stuff about Gary Player, btw., I'm learning new things. :)
User avatar Tricycle Rider

10 Apr 2017 16:42

I too love the fact that the US Open is at different courses every year, and the fact that it's an open, in that anyone who plays well enough can qualify and win (in theory anyway). Having said that, Erin Hills isn't that pretty of a course from what I've seen. Not that they're all going to be Pebble Beach or Bandon Dunes...

Interesting article on Player, including the history of his views on Apartheid. And how he was a polarizing figure in his day.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf-the-paradox-that-is-gary-player-1329010.html
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

12 Apr 2017 11:07

Glad Garcia got the monkey off his back. Well done.
movingtarget
Veteran

13 May 2017 23:23

Not sure why I'm not on top of this one, but the Player's Championship at TPC Sawgrass is supposed to be fun and is currently mid-play!

Especially hole 17 - that is where the golf balls come to die! (Not necessarily with the pros, but each year thousands of balls get fished out of that little pond...)

Shhhhhhh... only golf claps allowed from now on.
User avatar Tricycle Rider

Previous

Return to General