Register

What whisky are you drinking?

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

11 May 2017 18:20

Now I'm thirsty...

Such a welcome revolution in British pubs and beers. In a way its back to its roots with pubs brewing their own beers but the technology is so good and the cross fertilisation of technique and ingredients from the US, Antipodes and Europe is making a huge difference. We've always had good beer around but until recently its been a very introspective culture. I cant get my head around how good canned beer is now. If you spent your formative years drinking Watneys Party Seven you'll understand.

Anyway. Whisky. Anybody tried Michel Couvreur Blossoming Auld Sherried ?
mcduff

Re: What whisky are you drinking?

11 May 2017 18:55

ferryman wrote:
Far from it;) Mrs F, (who is from braw Highland stock), will only ever drink her whisky neat with a couple of ice cubes!! Always a wee drop of water in mine, half and half but nae ice, ever:)
I definitely appreciate the reply, but reading the rest of this thread through today it still conjures up images of this (dude should be much older and distinguished looking, though, methinks)...

But that's okay, people can get just as picky about their wines. (Am not about to start a thread on wines, though, it would seem somewhat superfluous and unnecessary.) So you hard liq drinking peoples are totally fine with me. :cool:
User avatar Tricycle Rider

11 May 2017 19:04

In my case its more like this...

https://youtu.be/iXczSof201U
mcduff

Re: Re:

14 May 2017 16:55

mcduff wrote:
aphronesis wrote:
ferryman wrote:
mcduff wrote:Auchentoshen used to be a favorite of mine. But there is so much out there these days that I chop and change. Currently got about 30 different whiskies and one bourbon.

@ferryman. Have you come across any of the BenRiach stuff? Heavy peated Speyside, with al sorts of caskings. They did a Tawny Port cask that was amazing but I drank the entire world supply so its pretty hard to get and expensive.

Really like the new Islay distillery, Kilchoman. Very young but very promising.

No, but you have me intrigued:) Will look out for it. Don't mind paying a wee bit over the odds now and again!

That has me interested as well. Thanks. Glad you survived the challenge.

You are US based, no? If you've a taste for the decent sweet bourbons have a go at Bowmore The Darkest...smoke, peat, sweetness, dried fruits, etc.

Can you offer up a bourbon tip to ameliorate my ignorance? I've got as far as Evan Williams Single Barrell, which were it not for the overwhelming sweetness I'd have taken blind for a sherry barrelled Lowland or Speyside, but infinitely better value for money. What should I aim for next?

You guys like your alcohol sweet. I've been on British US styled and hopped IPA for a while now. Can't get enough of it, but Ireckon I'll have rotted all the teeth out of my mouth by Christmas. ( and none of your 'english-mouth' based retorts please :lol: )

ruuuutroooooh shaggy.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

21 May 2017 20:44

I'm having a glas of Laphroaig Quarter Cask right now, it's a great value for money whisky, I really like it.
User avatar Mayomaniac

Re:

25 May 2017 00:27

Mayomaniac wrote:I'm having a glas of Laphroaig Quarter Cask right now, it's a great value for money whisky, I really like it.

Lovely wee drop. Hope you claimed your wee plot of land:). Think I must own about half of Islay by now;)
User avatar ferryman

25 May 2017 11:00

Am I allowed to say Cognac is better..?
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

Re:

25 May 2017 23:45

King Boonen wrote:Am I allowed to say Cognac is better..?

Tssk KB. And here was me thinking you were just about a native ;)
User avatar ferryman

26 May 2017 02:27

At the moment... on your right.

User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico

26 May 2017 02:41

Tequila
sienna

27 May 2017 02:10

8 year old 101 proof bourbon from Costco. 101 not my favorite I much prefer 86 proof but this was a gift
It was all I could do to submit this comment I don’t know where the inspiration came from…
User avatar krebs303
Veteran

27 May 2017 03:19

Caol Ila, cask strength. There's a local chapter of the Malt Scotch Whisky Society. Had the fortune of a member inviting me to a tasting.

John Swanson
ScienceIsCool

31 May 2017 15:24

ferryman wrote:
King Boonen wrote:Am I allowed to say Cognac is better..?

Tssk KB. And here was me thinking you were just about a native ;)

I'd be on the Buckie if I was! :D
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

01 Jun 2017 14:37

ferryman wrote:I used to be a Talisker fan (still am if truth be told), but when we did the tour a few years ago and learned what they put in it for the colour, I sort of went off it a wee bit. And that's with a very small 'w';)

WHAT do they put in the Talisker for the colour? :)
TomasC

01 Jun 2017 14:52

TomasC wrote:
ferryman wrote:I used to be a Talisker fan (still am if truth be told), but when we did the tour a few years ago and learned what they put in it for the colour, I sort of went off it a wee bit. And that's with a very small 'w';)

Spirit caramel, specifically E150A. Talisker are not alone in doing this though. I note that the two Ferryman mention on the first page do not contain this, I'm not sure if this is a happy coincidence or by design.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

01 Jun 2017 20:53

King Boonen wrote:
TomasC wrote:

Spirit caramel, specifically E150A. Talisker are not alone in doing this though. I note that the two Ferryman mention on the first page do not contain this, I'm not sure if this is a happy coincidence or by design.

Yes, it's apretty common practice to make a younger single malt look "better".
Laphroaig do the same with their 10y, but that one is also watered down to 40% and chill filtered.
As far *** I know the´Laphroaig Quarter Cask has no caramel, non-chill filtered an bottled at 48% and for such a young, peated whisky it's rather complex. I'd love to try a Laphroaig 10 cask strengh, is it still possible to find that one?
Last edited by Mayomaniac on 01 Jun 2017 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Mayomaniac

01 Jun 2017 21:25

King Boonen wrote:
TomasC wrote:

Yes, it was caramel. And just a very happy coincidence:)
User avatar ferryman

01 Jun 2017 21:42

Apparently it does noting to the taste, a good few experts have tried and failed to detect it, but you'll get a lot of people claiming it does... I've nearly finished my 18 year old Bowmore. Will need to replace it with something soon!

Mayomaniac, the whisky exchange usually have everything but the rarest of whiskies, you'll have to pay a lot for it though.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

04 Jun 2017 12:43

No whisky. Why drinking whisky when wine is out there and it's much, much better. Whisky tastes terrible. Any spirits is jsut out of necessity. You guys won't agree probably though :)
Kokoso

05 Jun 2017 00:50

Kokoso wrote:No whisky. Why drinking whisky when wine is out there and it's much, much better. Whisky tastes terrible. Any spirits is jsut out of necessity. You guys won't agree probably though :)

I hear you but you are wrong;) Try different whiskys, I bet there is one out there for you:) It really isn't out of necessity but of enjoyment. I got 3 bottles of Malt for Xmas, they lasted 6 months. Love wine as well but when there are two of you you can easily drink 2/3/4 bottles over a weekend at £5 a pop. All in, whisky tastes better and is better value;)
User avatar ferryman

PreviousNext

Return to General