Register

First Album You Bought

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

First Album You Bought

06 Jul 2017 02:00

What's the first album you bought? Provide the artist and title of the album. Give some details as to why you bought it.
I'm curious about people's first music purchase.

Mine was Moving Pictures by Rush. The line from "Tom Sawyer", A modern day warrior, mean, mean stride, today's Tom Sawyer mean, mean pride just sounded so awesome. And the drum solo after the guitar solo is the best part of the song. The front and back cover, which is a triple entendre, made sense to me. This was back in 1981 when I learned about Geddy, Neil, and Alex. I appreciated the brilliant lyrics, musicianship, and well crafted rock songs on this album. This is what I look for in music.
Rodrigo Arenas

06 Jul 2017 09:26

I think it was "black Sabbath" by Black Sabbath. I spent most of my youth listening to my parents old vinyl and didn't buy a huge number of tapes and CDs, but they only had one Black Sabbath album and when they started re-issuing them I bought most of them.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

06 Jul 2017 10:31

People actually remember these sort of things? :surprised:
I hardly remember the most recent album I bought...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

06 Jul 2017 10:58

RedheadDane wrote:People actually remember these sort of things? :surprised:
I hardly remember the most recent album I bought...

I even remember the first single I bought. It was the cassette edition of Meatloaf's "I would do anything for love but I won't do that". :)
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

06 Jul 2017 11:14

As with King Boonen, I spent my youth listening to my dad's collection of CDs. I don't remember the first record I bought myself, but I remember I got The White Album by The Beatles for Christmas very early. That might have been the first one I 'acquired' for myself. My dad only had the albums from Please Please Me until Revolver, and I was very curious about the rest. I was maybe a bit too young to 'get' everything on The White Album, but when I got Sgt. Pepper's a year or two later, I had the closest thing to a religious awakening that I've ever had.
User avatar Squire

Re:

06 Jul 2017 11:34

King Boonen wrote:...I spent most of my youth listening to my parents old vinyl...

Squire wrote:As with King Boonen, I spent my youth listening to my dad's collection of CDs...

I estimate approximately ten years age gap between us, although I am younger than the CD I think.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

06 Jul 2017 11:38

I'm not sure, but I think the first album I bought myself was USADSB (Nephew). It could've been Meteora (Linkin Park) as well, but I'm not sure if I bought it or if I got it.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re: First Album You Bought

06 Jul 2017 12:37

Technically I didn't buy it as I was 6 years old but it was bought for me by my parents. On my own it would have been The New Christy Minsterals "Today" or Dic k Dale and the Deltones "Surfers Choice" It's been 50 years hard to remember what, much less when. :)
It was all I could do to submit this comment I don’t know where the inspiration came from…
User avatar krebs303
Veteran

06 Jul 2017 12:44

The first album I bought was Green Day's Dookie. It was the first band I got into by myself and not through my brother, and probably the second band I got into at all (after Nirvana).
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

06 Jul 2017 14:54

...the free wheelin' bob dylan.......................25p from a mate

Mark L

ps he threw in a single.............pretty woman....yikes! shoulda received a discount
for taking it off his hands...............
User avatar ebandit

06 Jul 2017 15:05

Best of CCS (1975)

They don't make them like that any more.

Britain's best known cover version by a big band, and the creepiest singing voice ever.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

06 Jul 2017 16:31

I'm pretty sure the first record I bought myself was Culture Club's Kissing To Be Clever, or maybe it was Billy Idol's Rebel Yell, I can't quite remember. Both I bought in the early 80s, and both records I still have.

First stuff I listened to as a wee little child was a potpourri of my parents' records back in the 70s (they just hated it when I scratched them), it included anywhere from Janis Joplin to Edith Piaf, from Jimi Hendrix to The Hollies, from James Last to Abba, etc., etc.

And then there was my brother's influence during our teens, he listened to stuff like Rush, Judas Priest, Van Halen... all of the aforementioned bands and musicians I still like and still listen to. Well, except for maybe Edith Piaf, that was just a phase I went through when I was about 5.
User avatar Tricycle Rider

06 Jul 2017 17:14

Growing up I listened to many of my parents Beatles albums most of all, but I think the first album I actually owned that was mine, was Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

06 Jul 2017 17:33

I'm not exactly sure. But it either had to be Zeppelin (Good Times/Bad Times album), CSN&Y, or Bill Withers.
FWIW, I never ever owned a Beatles album, and never downloaded any of their music.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

06 Jul 2017 17:43

The first album I bought was Rare Earth "In Concert". They were a local band on the Motown label whose music sometimes was referred to as "blue eyed soul", as they were a primarily white band playing a mix of soul and rock with a couple of popular remakes of Temptations songs. The album cover packaging/design was a draw too. It had the image of an old dingy brown canvas backpack which opened in the same way a backpack would. I guess me and my older brother (we went in on it together) thought it was a pretty cool looking design at the time. Ended up being a pretty good album if recall correctly. I can actually remember riding our bikes up to this record shop which was about a mile from home on 7 Mile (Detroit). I'm pretty sure we wore a hole in that album because we played it to death!
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

06 Jul 2017 18:18

When I first could afford buying albums, we already were in a "burning CD" era, and then quickly in a download era. Of course, my parents bought me several albums but that does not count. So the first album I bought myself on a compact disc is John Fogerty's Revival and then I started buying a few LP's, first one a live album by Stephen Stills (that I never even played!) and then my first studio album Genesis - A Trick of the Tail :

ImageImage
Last edited by Echoes on 06 Jul 2017 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Echoes

06 Jul 2017 18:20

AC/DC

BACK IN BLACK

took some time to save the coke bottle return money but I got it done. :)
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

07 Jul 2017 00:06

Queen-A Night at the Opera
patricknd

07 Jul 2017 00:44

KISS Destroyer. Neighbour mate of mine had it and we listened to it endlessly. With hindsight, should have saved my money and just listened to his. Probably 8 or 9 years old.

I still remember getting grounded when I came home with Nevermind the Bollocks by the Sex Pistols. Dad was very unimpressed!
Breezy
Newly Registered Member

07 Jul 2017 14:11

Easy Peasy the first Beatles album released in the US. Introducing... The Beatles released in Jan 1964, I was 13 and IN Love with Paul! I bought every single one of their albums on the release date and still have the entire collection. It's probably worth a few bucks now.
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

Next

Return to General