Register

What beer ya drinkin'?

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re:

06 Nov 2016 21:58

aphronesis wrote:Not instincts, more rustic slave logic. I am an a$$hole sometimes (and it has nothing to do with credentials) no doubt, but you're the neurotic creep seething with insecurity as the above post indicates. Alienation is not rife with profound meaning; it just means you're alienated. You don't get that either. Who logs in to post after I do? It isn't me.

Get clear on this: you may be the weird cultured guy where you are, but nothing you have ever said or will say is news to me. That's not the case for lots of people but it is with you. I dare you to summon the willpower to get through life knowing that no matter what you say, I won't communicate with you. Because you are that icky and have serious boundary problems.

JW Lees 2015 barleywine aged in sherry barrels.

Are you sure about that?

Is the irony lost on you master baits? What a creep. Kick me in the head some more. My masochism needs sating.

http://beermebc.com/2016/06/20/10-sessionable-bc-craft-beers-to-quench-your-summer-thirst/
Starstruck

16 Nov 2016 03:21

Evil Twin/Westbrook, Imperial Mexican Biscotti Cake Break. Imperial Stout brewed with coffee, cinnamon, almonds,cocoa nibs, vanilla and added habaneros. 10.5%

This is a collaboration of ET's IBiscotti and Westbrook's cake. I've been eating ghost peppers so may not be a great judge, but as just released this is still a bit oily and alcoholic, nose has all the components and some blackstrap and then the breads take over with the coffee and vanilla floating to either side. Peppers are mellow, but lasting. If this shows up on tap near anyone in a year, it will be great.

And Omnipollo , Yellow Belly "a peanut butter, biscuit stout with no biscuits, butter or nuts." 11%

All that head, pour, lacing rehearsal isn't really valid anymore unless one extrapolates it to the style and how it matters.

Nose is butterscotch; taste goes in as peanut butter cookie (homemade and store trash) and it moves to darker chocolat finished with more pb and plum jam.
aphronesis

Re: What beer ya drinkin'?

23 Nov 2016 11:57

Had a Caulier 28 Imperial Stout yesterday evening.

More evidence of the US beer scene influencing Belgian brewers, which I talked about upthread. Stouts are already somewhat of a rare sight in Belgium, though there is some native tradition of brewing them, but this is only the second time I was able to get my hands on an imperial stout. I was very surprised, and pleasantly so, to find an imperials stout, brewed by a brewer from Brussels, in my local supermarket the other day!

It was a very unique taste for me, but that might be due to my inexperience with Imperial Stouts. Despite the 12% alcohol, the taste actually wasn't too heavy and the alcohol wasn't really present in the taste. It was brewed with coffee and chipotle chilies. The coffee complements the roasted taste that stouts have of themselves quite well. I've also drank stouts with coffee before where the coffee taste was too strong and it just felt kind of gimmicky, but Caulier fortunately steered clear of that mistake. The chili adds a very unique flavour, after a good sip and stirring it around in your mouth for a while, you could actually feel a little bit of burning in your mouth as if you ate something spicy. Overall they did a good job combining these strong and unique flavours in a way that they complement each other well as as to create a subtle and complex taste.. Never drank anything like this before but hopefully I will be drinking it again!

An Imperial Stout brewed with coffee and chilies really sounds like some crazy experimental thing from US craft breweries in my ears, but having drunk it, I'm happy to see Belgian brewers take on this type of thing! :)
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

24 Nov 2016 13:59

Hey Maaarten,

Have you tried the Netherland's de Molen? They do a number of really good heavy stouts that are still pretty firmly in the Northern tradition.
aphronesis

24 Nov 2016 16:45

The name does ring a bell somewhere, but I haven't tried it. Thanks for the tip! I'll look out for it when I'm in the Netherlands again!
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

26 Nov 2016 01:05

Scharenbecca Kriek, Hansenns, 6%. Oak aged with schaerbeek cherries

Extreme sours are great but apparently not for the general public. A friend in London took a big hit when he got ahead of his crowd and ran lambics on all 12 taps. Beer freaks all made pilgrimages; everyone else went to other pubs.. Hansenns don't brew, they blend lambics/guezes from various regional brewers. As a result their stuff tends not to be agressive and this is highly drinkable. The oak suspends the cherries from the nose on through the palate until the sour bite closes around it. Tart and full of fruit, but not all sweet.
aphronesis

19 Mar 2017 19:54

Widmer Bro's Hefe, it's all right. (I'm just trying to drink my busted NCAA bracket blues away, for that purpose it'll do.)
User avatar Tricycle Rider

19 Mar 2017 20:35

Should ask Peter Sagan what beer he's drinking complements of Kwiatkowski.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

19 Mar 2017 21:24

on3m@n@rmy wrote:Should ask Peter Sagan what beer he's drinking complements of Kwiatkowski.
If he's any kind of a Slav at all Kwiatowski better serve Sagan with some authentic Pilsner Urquell. (Not the watered-down crap we get here in the States.)

19 Mar 2017 21:55

Btw. have any of you ladies (or even men - cause very few of you can actually pull off a unibrow successfully) tried plucking your eyebrows while being slightly under the influence?

It's rather tricky, so for that I would recommend a beer with a much lower alcohol content.

02 Apr 2017 11:28

I feel like Trappist today.

User avatar sir fly

09 Apr 2017 18:20

Omnipollo and Buxton, "Yellowfuckingbelly" (described upthread)

Plumtastic Grand Cru, Sour blend of one and three year old barrel aged on Italian plums) full plum nose, rich fruit, smoke and mild syrup going down. The amped up version of beer brugna.

"Tony Vecchio" Imperial stout blended from bourbon barrels and inoculated wine barrels, nine month aging.

Omnipollo/Dugges "BBA Anagram", Blueberry cheesecake stout aged in heaven hill bourbon barrels, 14.5%. A tart, tang of lactic bread (cheese) comes through n the nose, with the body being straightforward bourbony stout and the essence of berry sweet/sour bitter on the finish.
aphronesis

16 Apr 2017 10:38

User avatar sir fly

13 May 2017 23:52

24 hours of solid rain, so Pipeworks, Cherry Truffle Abduction, Imperial Stout with cherries cacoa nib and vanilla, 10.5%.

Unlike some flavor added cherry stouts that produce a sweet cherry forward taste followed by a watery stout, this one has it all in the backbone so the cacao and dark cherry expand in the roast to make for a chewier beer. The vanilla works this transition while also bringing out nuttier dry stout flashes. Not too pricey either for those who are budget minded.

And in cans, Evil Twin/Omnipollo Lemonade IPA 7%. Fun for the suckas when the heat comes back.
aphronesis

19 Jun 2017 20:29

Look at these bought and paid for "republicans". LIKE WTF a holes.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-craft-breweries-fight-back-against-new-law/449910996
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

Re:

19 Jun 2017 23:16

Semper Fidelis wrote:Look at these bought and paid for "republicans". LIKE WTF a holes.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-craft-breweries-fight-back-against-new-law/449910996
May I ask what your point is?

I'm a bit slow sometimes, you see.

Re:

20 Jun 2017 04:04

Semper Fidelis wrote:Look at these bought and paid for "republicans". LIKE WTF a holes.

Sounds like they took some tricks from the TPP playbook.

Against the Grain/De Molen "Bo and Luke", Smoked Imperial Stout aged 3 months in Pappy van Winkle barrels. 13%

No time for purple prose: super smooth vanillaed ashtray malt.
aphronesis

20 Jun 2017 07:35

I never realized how delicious beer could be until I discovered IPAs last year (was never a huge drinker, beer or otherwise). Last three beers I've had:

Today (6/19):
West Coast IPA | Green Flash Brewing Co. - https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2743/22505/

last Saturday (6/17):
Bright | Tree House Brewing Company -
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28743/213281/

last Friday (6/15):
Hop Nosh IPA | Uinta Brewing Company - https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1416/73764/

Tree House doesn't have any distribution in Pennsylvania, so I've only had the Bright when in New England, or when my brother is back in Boston on business and brings some home (assuming it's available). We drank his last two cans this weekend after my niece's christening lol.

Both the Hop Nosh and West Coast IPA are readily available locally, so they're what I've probably bought most often in the past few months.
User avatar joe_papp

27 Jun 2017 00:10

I only drink dark, called stout beer, I don't like ale, or lager, or pilsner, or pale ale (the last three are the absolute worse, it's like drinking urine!).

My favorite beer brands (from what I can recall) is Russian Imperial Stout (my favorite), Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, Murphy's Irish Stout, Modelo Negra, New Castle Dark, Watneys dark, black IPA, Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, Goose Island BCBS Coffee Stout, that's about all I can remember, I have a list of others I've never had but would like to try but where I live or been too it's highly unlikely I'll find them since so far I haven't found them. I've tried milk stouts but didn't care for those.
froze

PreviousNext

Return to General