Register

What beer ya drinkin'?

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

10 Sep 2009 09:19

Currently drinking a Heineken right now.
User avatar craig1985
Veteran

10 Sep 2009 13:10

I like Stella artois, Weihenstephaner and when in the US I drink miller high life.
User avatar franciep10

10 Sep 2009 23:07

I'm drinking one of these at the moment. Not bad.. but nothing really that special.

Edit: Just saw that this jersey is made by http://www.microbeerjerseys.com/. Good to see there is a market for a company like this! :D
User avatar Cobber

Orval

11 Sep 2009 00:44

Has anybody out there tried Orval?

I tried really hard to like it, but I just didn't happen. Perhaps I'm too simple to enjoy its "complexity", but I thought it was like somebody tried to cover up cat wizz with perfume. Not that I've tried cat wizz or perfume!:eek:
User avatar Bag_O_Wallet

11 Sep 2009 13:33

Bag_O_Wallet wrote:Has anybody out there tried Orval?

I tried really hard to like it, but I just didn't happen. Perhaps I'm too simple to enjoy its "complexity", but I thought it was like somebody tried to cover up cat wizz with perfume. Not that I've tried cat wizz or perfume!:eek:

Oval is one of the Trappist beers brewed by Trappist Monks. There are only seven Trappist monasteries that brew beer. While not my favorite Trappist beer I do like it. Part of the deal with Belgian beer is serving it at the correct temperature. Too cold changes many of the beer's characteristics. Never drink it from the bottle and try not to pour the entire bottle in the glass you will drink it from. Many of the bottle fermented beers have yeast collected in the bottom of the bottle. Some like the tart flavor of the yeast, but I don't care for it.

Try your next Orval at about 55 degrees (F), don't pour the entire bottle your glass and see if that makes a difference.
Scott SoCal

12 Sep 2009 00:11

franciep10 wrote:I like Stella artois, Weihenstephaner and when in the US I drink miller high life.

I know this gets dangerously close to being cycling related, but this has to be my favourite beer ad of all time

http://www.bestads.tv/view/2480/stella-artois-bicycle-race/
Most people's signatures are a stupid waste of time, just like this one.
User avatar badboyberty

12 Sep 2009 00:13

Scott SoCal wrote:Oval is one of the Trappist beers brewed by Trappist Monks. There are only seven Trappist monasteries that brew beer. While not my favorite Trappist beer I do like it. Part of the deal with Belgian beer is serving it at the correct temperature. Too cold changes many of the beer's characteristics. Never drink it from the bottle and try not to pour the entire bottle in the glass you will drink it from. Many of the bottle fermented beers have yeast collected in the bottom of the bottle. Some like the tart flavor of the yeast, but I don't care for it.

Try your next Orval at about 55 degrees (F), don't pour the entire bottle your glass and see if that makes a difference.

scott you are the beer guy on the forum! make that BEER GUY!!!:D
User avatar usedtobefast

12 Sep 2009 00:16

YES.............NOW THIS IS A GOOD THREAD.........

whomever said ROCHEFORT , bless you

but dont forget DELIRIUM , DUVEL , and yes a nice CHIMAY
sorry guys def a snob , the belgiums do it the best

but i do love guiness , its great
1 for the germans PIKANTUS , dunkel

and a little love for home , ESTRELLA DAMN , oscura....:D
User avatar lagartija

12 Sep 2009 01:32

badboyberty wrote:I know this gets dangerously close to being cycling related, but this has to be my favourite beer ad of all time

http://www.bestads.tv/view/2480/stella-artois-bicycle-race/

that's a good one i prefer this one though

http://www.bestads.tv/view/1719/stella-artois-robbers/
User avatar franciep10

12 Sep 2009 01:54

right now..... having a BELLS Two Hearted Ale.
“I was a bandit. If Boonen is the God of Belgian cycling, then I’m the Devil."
[SIZE="2"]~Roger De Vlaeminck[/SIZE]
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

12 Sep 2009 01:55

Thanks for all the suggestions. I just popped down to the local grog shop to get a selection of beers that you have recommended, including Beau's Lugtread Organic Lager, London Price, 1664, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, Old Speckled Hen Ale, a couple of Chimay (but not the Triple), and I have just finished a very nice Pilsner Urquel.

Funny situation in Canada - the government owns all liquor licenses and beer is only sold through either the aptly named Beer Store or LCBO. Compare that to Australia where you can buy beer over the bar at pubs and in liquor stores in supermarkets. Oh, well. Beer is still beer.

One question no one has asked yet: is beer better in glass or cans? Glass for me.
"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
User avatar elapid

12 Sep 2009 02:41

lagartija wrote:YES.............NOW THIS IS A GOOD THREAD.........

whomever said ROCHEFORT , bless you

but dont forget DELIRIUM , DUVEL , and yes a nice CHIMAY
sorry guys def a snob , the belgiums do it the best

but i do love guiness , its great
1 for the germans PIKANTUS , dunkel

and a little love for home , ESTRELLA DAMN , oscura....:D

My wife and I had the good fortune to have a private tour of the Moortgaat Brewery (where Duvel is brewed) near Antwerp, Belgium. I liked Duvel but did not love it... that is until I learned how to pour it and drink it properly. The tour at Moorgaat was by far the very best brewery tour I have ever been on. If you like beer, this is a fantastic tour.
Scott SoCal

12 Sep 2009 02:48

elapid wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. I just popped down to the local grog shop to get a selection of beers that you have recommended, including Beau's Lugtread Organic Lager, London Price, 1664, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, Old Speckled Hen Ale, a couple of Chimay (but not the Triple), and I have just finished a very nice Pilsner Urquel.

Funny situation in Canada - the government owns all liquor licenses and beer is only sold through either the aptly named Beer Store or LCBO. Compare that to Australia where you can buy beer over the bar at pubs and in liquor stores in supermarkets. Oh, well. Beer is still beer.

One question no one has asked yet: is beer better in glass or cans? Glass for me.

Glass only. In fact the Belgians will not pour a beer unless they have the glassware that goes with the beer they are pouring. Each Belgian beer has it's own glass. There are over 4,000 different Belgian beers and each beer glass is unique. The whole way they do it is just very very cool. They (the Belgians) definately have turned beer drinking into an art form.
Scott SoCal

12 Sep 2009 02:53

Hey Scott,

Do you shop for glasses here?
https://globalbeer.3dcartstores.com/Glasses_c_36.html
“I was a bandit. If Boonen is the God of Belgian cycling, then I’m the Devil."
[SIZE="2"]~Roger De Vlaeminck[/SIZE]
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

12 Sep 2009 04:11

RDV4ROUBAIX wrote:Hey Scott,

Do you shop for glasses here?
https://globalbeer.3dcartstores.com/Glasses_c_36.html

Thanks RDV, cool site! I've not seen it before.

Most of the glassware we have is from Belgium. Our most prized glassware is from Westvleteren (my avatar) and Kwak.

If you have a Beverages and More (BevMo) near you glassware can be ordered there. All my Chimay and New Belgium glassware is from BevMo.
Scott SoCal

12 Sep 2009 04:21

All I will say is that I love the vending machines in Japan that you can buy beer out of. Could never work in Australia (or America or anywhere else) obviously.
User avatar craig1985
Veteran

12 Sep 2009 09:03

Scott SoCal wrote:Most of the glassware we have is from Belgium. Our most prized glassware is from Westvleteren (my avatar) and Kwak.

We have a 'Belgian Beer Cafe' in our city (a pretty crummy place run buy Carton&United) they do however sell kwak, it is lovely. They make you give your shoe up when you order one to stop you running off with the glass though!

For all you Coopers fans I'm currently knocking back a few Coopers Pilsners and Im not hugely impressed, and I love pilsners.
User avatar 53 x 11

12 Sep 2009 16:52

I love beer and bourbon and coke.

Maybe I shouldn't post whilst ****ed.
User avatar craig1985
Veteran

13 Sep 2009 01:11

Noche Buena
This seasonal Christmas beer is available only in bottles and is generally sold only in Mexico in early December.
It used to be available in Los Angeles. It sells out quick.
Mmmmmmm Christmas beer!
User avatar krebs303
Veteran

13 Sep 2009 03:09

craig1985 wrote:I love beer and bourbon and coke.

Maybe I shouldn't post whilst ****ed.

Is that all in one glass?:)
User avatar knewcleardaze

PreviousNext

Return to General