Register

What beer ya drinkin'?

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

13 Sep 2009 06:20

knewcleardaze wrote:Is that all in one glass?:)

Don't post whilst intoxicated I say.
User avatar craig1985
Veteran

14 Sep 2009 00:45

Scott SoCal wrote:Thanks RDV, cool site! I've not seen it before.

Most of the glassware we have is from Belgium. Our most prized glassware is from Westvleteren (my avatar) and Kwak.

If you have a Beverages and More (BevMo) near you glassware can be ordered there. All my Chimay and New Belgium glassware is from BevMo.

i didnt know that , thats a good tip ............thanks:)
User avatar lagartija

14 Sep 2009 00:48

craig1985 wrote:All I will say is that I love the vending machines in Japan that you can buy beer out of. Could never work in Australia (or America or anywhere else) obviously.

your right , i havent been back in a while but i loved the vending machines.................also the odd shaped cans are great , ......i also remember you can get just about anything in vending machines , its hilarious
User avatar lagartija

14 Sep 2009 05:00

craig1985 wrote:All I will say is that I love the vending machines in Japan that you can buy beer out of. Could never work in Australia (or America or anywhere else) obviously.

i am going out for a ride right now. i'll take a picture of a beer machine on the route and post it when i get back.
User avatar gregod

14 Sep 2009 20:09

Scott SoCal wrote:If we are going to talk about Cats, Coffee and Movies then we may as well discuss our Favorite Beer.

Duvel
Westmalle Tripel
Leffe Dubbel
Affligem Blond
Guillotine
[shame]Amstel out of a can[/shame] ;p
User avatar ak-zaaf

14 Sep 2009 23:27

OK - three down and plenty more to go. The Pilsner Urquell was good, the Chimay Triple (marketed as Strong Ale in Canada) was interesting because it almost had a smoked bacon aroma but I probably drank it too cold to fully appreciate it (4C instead of the recommended 6-8C), and lastly Beau's Lugtread Organic Lager which, for me, was the pick of the bunch so far. Thanks for the suggestion Kiwirider. Even better, you have to drink 750 ml because that's the only bottle size it comes in!
"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
User avatar elapid

Fav beeeeer

14 Sep 2009 23:44

Having trained heavily in this discipline and having done so for many seasons this my preferred regime:

Racer 5 (Bear Republic) very hoppy and makes you think you're fast

Celebrator Doublebock(in the bottle) has a nice goat on it and tastes chocolatey

PBR-Pabst Blue Ribbon from the keg. A volume training aid and performance staple of Country-Alt bands worldwide.

Manny's-brewed in Seattle and available as draft only

Mack n' Jack's African Amber-world's finest brew; potent and lots of recovery calories. Sorry girls, kegs only

Anyone requiring more specific training tips please come to Seattle and request help. Fees are negotiable.
Oldman

15 Sep 2009 00:01

1. Ommegang Rare Vos
2. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
3. Dogfish Head 60 min. IPA
4. Natty Green's Buckshot Amber Ale
5. Ommegang Hennepin Ale
reeftom12
Newly Registered Member

fwiw

15 Sep 2009 01:47

in a 50+ kilometer loop i think i counted around 10 beer machines. there were too many regular drink machines to count. i never need to worry about having too little to drink on the rides as long as i have a few coins in my pocket.
User avatar gregod

My Oh My

16 Sep 2009 03:46

Just finished a Tripel Karmeliet.

OMG, if you ever have the chance to drink one I highly recommend it.
Scott SoCal

16 Sep 2009 04:39

Scott SoCal wrote:Just finished a Tripel Karmeliet

OMG, if you ever have the chance to drink one I highly recommend it.

Once a week on average. I also rock the jersey by Vermarc.
“I was a bandit. If Boonen is the God of Belgian cycling, then I’m the Devil."
[SIZE="2"]~Roger De Vlaeminck[/SIZE]
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

16 Sep 2009 08:50

I am so moving to Belgium one day.
User avatar craig1985
Veteran

16 Sep 2009 13:51

Budwiser!!
Have seen all myspace backgrounds,wanna bet?
crazzycat
Newly Registered Member

16 Sep 2009 23:21

craig1985 wrote:I am so moving to Belgium one day.

Here is one of at least 4,000 good reasons;

Rochefort 10 review; "Dark brown color. Great strength balanced by a complexity of flavors and firm malt backbone. The bouquet covers a wide range: port wine, leather, apricots, oak, spices - a deeply intriguing beverage."

I sincerely agree with the above. Oh, it's 11.3% ABV :D (don't drink it too cold, 55 to 58 degrees F)
Scott SoCal

16 Sep 2009 23:47

Another great Belgian beer..... St Bernardus Apt 12

Random review; "I expected a lot out of this beer, which has earned a 100th percentile rating at RateBeer. I’ve heard many people speak highly of it as one of the finest examples of Belgian brewing, and, honestly, I’m a bit embarassed that I had yet to try it.

Out of the bottle, this beer froths up immediately, even with a gentle pour. The massive head which billows above the rim of the glass smells of bananas and has a very sweet fruity flavor. You’re going to get to know this head, as it sits on the beer for some time and you have to do a little digging to get through to the actual beer. I love the amount of fruit that comes through in this beer, balanced by a serious kick of alcohol and a caramelly sweetness. Swish it around in your mouth and the flavors open up, as well as a good amount of foam. This isn’t a bad thing as the beer feels like a cloud as it passes through your mouth.

I said I had high expectations for this beer and all it did was meet them and possibly exceed them. A difficult beer for a novice to drink, seasoned pros should also be wary, as the 11 ounce bottle definitely slowed my evening down considerably. Don’t let this one stay on the shelf any longer."

True... this is about quality, not quantity.
Scott SoCal

17 Sep 2009 00:01

Scott SoCal wrote:Another great Belgian beer..... St Bernardus Apt 12

Very good!!! I've had a few of those this summer.
“I was a bandit. If Boonen is the God of Belgian cycling, then I’m the Devil."
[SIZE="2"]~Roger De Vlaeminck[/SIZE]
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

17 Sep 2009 00:04

crazzycat wrote:Budwiser!!

You misspelled that - it's "Budwizz"
"Science flies us to the moon. Religion flies us into buildings."

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
User avatar Hugh Januss
Veteran

17 Sep 2009 02:32

Scott SoCal wrote:Another great Belgian beer..... St Bernardus Apt 12

Random review; "I expected a lot out of this beer, which has earned a 100th percentile rating at RateBeer. I’ve heard many people speak highly of it as one of the finest examples of Belgian brewing, and, honestly, I’m a bit embarassed that I had yet to try it.

Out of the bottle, this beer froths up immediately, even with a gentle pour. The massive head which billows above the rim of the glass smells of bananas and has a very sweet fruity flavor. You’re going to get to know this head, as it sits on the beer for some time and you have to do a little digging to get through to the actual beer. I love the amount of fruit that comes through in this beer, balanced by a serious kick of alcohol and a caramelly sweetness. Swish it around in your mouth and the flavors open up, as well as a good amount of foam. This isn’t a bad thing as the beer feels like a cloud as it passes through your mouth.

I said I had high expectations for this beer and all it did was meet them and possibly exceed them. A difficult beer for a novice to drink, seasoned pros should also be wary, as the 11 ounce bottle definitely slowed my evening down considerably. Don’t let this one stay on the shelf any longer."

True... this is about quality, not quantity.

where did you get it?
User avatar usedtobefast

17 Sep 2009 04:18

usedtobefast wrote:where did you get it?

BevMo. There is also a place called Beverage Warehouse down by LAX that you can buy Belgian beer en masse. I buy Buffalo Stout and Tripel Karmeliet there (among other things). They are really helpful. If the beer is imported to the US they can get it.

http://www.beveragewarehouse.com/search/more_info.php?item_id=352

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductList.aspx?N=41+190&area=Beer&Ns=Name%7c0

Edit: The wifer and I went to Watou to the St. Bernardus Brewery. The bad news is they did not have a tasting room. The good news is they were well on their way to constructing one and we were told it would be ready to go for the classics season. Oh yeah!
Scott SoCal

17 Sep 2009 05:07

Here is an unusual but excellent Belgian Tripel. Most Tripels are golden in color but this one is dark. Note; Like many Belgian beers, Gulden Draak can be cellared like a fine Cabernet, hence the bottle designed to allow no light to reach the bottled beer. I'm told they get better with age but I'll never be able to wait. :D

A Review; "I gently pour the squat white bottle into my glass and out pours a dark brown-redish liquid with minimal head. The scent is unbelievably sweet. It smells like cotton candy with a hint of scotch. That’s a good thing. The flavor is very spicy. Sweet orange juice flavors with a caramel tone. I can tell it’s 10.5 abv but it’s not offputting. The mouthfeel is lighter then I expected with lots of carbonation. I’m halfway through my glass and I’m already feeling warm all over. This beer will kick your ass if you don’t pay attention. A sipper for sure."

Not in my top 5 but fantastic just the same.
Scott SoCal

PreviousNext

Return to General