Register

Politics in Sports

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Politics in Sports

19 Oct 2017 13:40

The mods have asked that since DT made the NFL a political pawn we discuss that aspect here:

Now MB has said that the players can't make headway with the owners until the CK issue is resolved. I have been fully supportive of the players, but if this becomes the new rally point, they will lose me at least to some extent.

EDIT: I moved this part down because its not the point I'm trying to make.
CK (and his girlfriend) killed at least two potential jobs with their actions. He could be on a roster if he really wanted to be. You can go flip through the NFL thread to see that I have supported CK's stance, and his struggle, but his lack of helping himself lost me. Maybe he doesn't want to be on a team because that make his cause more compelling and it draws more attention.
Last edited by jmdirt on 21 Oct 2017 01:24, edited 2 times in total.
jmdirt

19 Oct 2017 14:22

Having experienced the Ravens story firsthand, I don't believe for a second that Kap's girlfriend was the main impediment to his signing with Baltimore. Since the team's kneeling in the London game, I have seen many people going to the stadium with Ray Lewis' name blacked out or with the Ravens logo taped over in protest. (Yes, they were still attending the games though :rolleyes: ) Then there was the whole petition to remove the Ray Lewis statue from the stadium because of his part in the London kneel down. I 100% believe Kap was not signed because of the perceived political backlash that it would've caused among the reactionary fanbase. As a reminder, in the home game right after London, the PA made an announcement for the crowd to pray “for kindness, for unity, for equality and justice for all Americans.” When the players kneeled BEFORE the anthem to pray, the fans boo'd loudly. Biscotti knows his fans. The girlfriend is a convenient pretext IMO.
Donald Trump: "We are getting near that beautiful Christmas season that people don't talk about anymore."
djpbaltimore

19 Oct 2017 15:17

Could you provide more information on the two potential jobs and what they did that killed them? The conversation has started with an assumed knowledge base beyond what I have!
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

19 Oct 2017 15:25

I don't know what the second one is, but the episode I was alluding to above about the girlfriend is detailed at the link below.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/09/06/ray-lewis-blames-colin-kaepernicks-girlfriend-for-qbs-lack-of-nfl-employment/?utm_term=.4e8c051fd465
Donald Trump: "We are getting near that beautiful Christmas season that people don't talk about anymore."
djpbaltimore

19 Oct 2017 15:35

Thanks, I now understand the discussion. Yeah, I doubt that was the reason he didn't get signed.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

Re:

19 Oct 2017 23:28

djpbaltimore wrote:Having experienced the Ravens story firsthand, I don't believe for a second that Kap's girlfriend was the main impediment to his signing with Baltimore. Since the team's kneeling in the London game, I have seen many people going to the stadium with Ray Lewis' name blacked out or with the Ravens logo taped over in protest. (Yes, they were still attending the games though :rolleyes: ) Then there was the whole petition to remove the Ray Lewis statue from the stadium because of his part in the London kneel down. I 100% believe Kap was not signed because of the perceived political backlash that it would've caused among the reactionary fanbase. As a reminder, in the home game right after London, the PA made an announcement for the crowd to pray “for kindness, for unity, for equality and justice for all Americans.” When the players kneeled BEFORE the anthem to pray, the fans boo'd loudly. Biscotti knows his fans. The girlfriend is a convenient pretext IMO.

OK, so if kneeling was the issue why did they even bother to fly him in?

That aside, making CK their poster boy is not going to further the cause. IMO there are a lot of people who support them being the voice for those who don't have a voice, but many less will support them being a voice for someone who already has a voice. Plus, the people who they are trying to reach have shut them off already.

Its (past) time to move the conversation forward.
jmdirt

20 Oct 2017 13:44

Contemporary reporting indicated that Harbaugh and their GM Ozzie Newsome wanted to sign Kap. This makes sense from a football perspective as Flacco was injured and their #1 was the incredibly incompetent Ryan Mallett. Reports at the time indicated that the owner Biscotti was vetoing the decision. In the immediate aftermath of these stories, the girlfriend posts the viral image. A month later, Ray Lewis goes on TV and spins the yarn about how they were going to sign Kap when they saw the image, despite it not really fitting the timeline of the story. IMO, it reeks of revisionism from a known mouthpiece of the owner to portray Kap negatively and portray Biscotti positively.

Kap is clearly being 'blackballed' due to perceived fan backlash. The Packers currently have a backup that went undrafted after playing at Wesley college. He was cut by three teams last year, including once by the Cleveland Browns. The Cleveland Browns! Kap had a game last year where he threw for 296 yards with 3 TDs and ran for another 113 against an AFC playoff team. He threw for nearly 400 yards against the Saints. His TD to INT ratio was 16:4. Coaches always blather on about meritocracy and how you have to play your best players. Yet no-one can find room on a roster? Now fans of teams like GB use the excuse that he won't have time to learn the playbook.

The owners want this thing to disappear. Maybe throw some cash as some charities to make it happen. But, If I was a player, this situation would concern me, especially as the owners seem to be blowing so much smoke about it.
djpbaltimore

Re: Politics in Sports

20 Oct 2017 15:07

I wonder if the 49ers, Kaep's original team, couldn't solve this. Why don't they re-sign him? The objection most owners have is that many in their fanbase hate Kaepernick for his anthem protests, but that isn't the case in the Bay Area. He, and the kneeling, have widespread support here. It's maybe the only city in the country where it isn't an issue. And of course the fans haven't forgotten he led them to their only SB in the past 20+ years.

And it's not as though the team has no need for him. Hoyer has just been replaced with Beathard, a rookie. Clearly the QB situation is a mess. There's no reason to have any confidence in any of the team's current options. The upside of signing Kaepernick is that he might give the team several quality years, during which they can try to find a longer-term solution. There's very little downside that I can see. Given that the team is 0-6, and would have to pay Kaepernick very little, they have very little to lose other than a roster spot.
Merckx index

Re:

21 Oct 2017 01:22

djpbaltimore wrote:Contemporary reporting indicated that Harbaugh and their GM Ozzie Newsome wanted to sign Kap. This makes sense from a football perspective as Flacco was injured and their #1 was the incredibly incompetent Ryan Mallett. Reports at the time indicated that the owner Biscotti was vetoing the decision. In the immediate aftermath of these stories, the girlfriend posts the viral image. A month later, Ray Lewis goes on TV and spins the yarn about how they were going to sign Kap when they saw the image, despite it not really fitting the timeline of the story. IMO, it reeks of revisionism from a known mouthpiece of the owner to portray Kap negatively and portray Biscotti positively.

Kap is clearly being 'blackballed' due to perceived fan backlash. The Packers currently have a backup that went undrafted after playing at Wesley college. He was cut by three teams last year, including once by the Cleveland Browns. The Cleveland Browns! Kap had a game last year where he threw for 296 yards with 3 TDs and ran for another 113 against an AFC playoff team. He threw for nearly 400 yards against the Saints. His TD to INT ratio was 16:4. Coaches always blather on about meritocracy and how you have to play your best players. Yet no-one can find room on a roster? Now fans of teams like GB use the excuse that he won't have time to learn the playbook.

The owners want this thing to disappear. Maybe throw some cash as some charities to make it happen. But, If I was a player, this situation would concern me, especially as the owners seem to be blowing so much smoke about it.

Wasn't CK in Balt. for the meeting? Of course he is a top 64 QB. Yes he got blackballed.

Anyway that wasn't my main point.
jmdirt

27 Oct 2017 13:50

Interesting fly on the wall reporting from the meetings between NFL owners and the players about the anthem protests.
At first, some in the room admired Jones’ pure bravado, the mix of folksy politician and visionary salesman he has perfected. But he was angry. He said the owners had to take the business impact seriously, as the league was threatened by a polarizing issue it couldn’t contain or control. To some in the room, it was clear Jones was trying to build momentum for an anthem mandate resolution, and in the words of one owner, “he brought up a lot of fair points.” Jones believed he was one of the few showing any urgency on the matter and seemed to be more frustrated that not everybody was listening than he was passionate about the mandate.

As Jones spoke, Snyder mumbled out loud, “See, Jones gets it — 96 percent of Americans are for guys standing,” a claim some dismissed as a grand overstatement. [Texans owner Bob] McNair, a multimillion-dollar Trump campaign contributor, spoke next, echoing many of the same business concerns. “We can’t have the inmates running the prison,” McNair said.
Great choice of words. Thank you for proving the players' point, Bob.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/21170410/gaffes-tv-ratings-concerns-dominated-nfl-players-forged-anthem-peace-league-meetings
djpbaltimore

30 Oct 2017 19:56

I was just thinking that the comments made by the HOU owner shouldn't really surprise anyone because that is how the relationship has always been. Really, he should be commended for his honesty...and then maybe slapped for his stupidity.
jmdirt

Return to General