Register

Politics in Sports

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

01 Dec 2017 18:28

Athletes as political pawns.......nothing new here.

Participated in Vuelta de Guatemala 1980's------race map and national awareness emphasized that British Honduras was actually part of THAT country, stages skirted the border and teenagers with automatic weapons occupied/patrolled that country's interior.

Flash forward to 1990's, did Tour de Morocco------entire race entourage was flown in several military cargo planes to the nation of Western Sahara to participate in the prologue ITT. Really just an oasis setting, super squalor with little pavement, but served to show the international community that Morocco was in control of that huge area adjacent to the actual national border. Sidebar: the UCI commissaire and timers/officials were from Italy, an Italian rider 'won' the prologue by a ridiculous margin and the entire Italian team did not start the the 2nd stage after we returned to Casablanca the next day.
UncleChainwhip

Re:

03 Dec 2017 00:12

UncleChainwhip wrote:Athletes as political pawns.......nothing new here....

Every Olympics from 1936 onward was a political propaganda showcase. And they flew Nazi flags over two pre-WWII German Grand Prixs. But the difference between those who stage the event politicizing it and the athletes who are participating it using it as their own platform is chalk and cheese. I think it's obvious that the American footballers who have ginned this up have lost sight of the source of the money that affords them their luxury lifestyles. They confuse the right to speak with the right to be heard (the two are not synonymous). I think it's also obvious that if the TV ratings are a valid indicator of the American football fans' mood, the outcome of this tiff already is determined and the only question is how much damage will be done to the sport before the players give in.
User avatar StyrbjornSterki

06 Dec 2017 13:29

No Russia in the Olympics...
jmdirt

Re:

06 Dec 2017 14:44

jmdirt wrote:No Russia in the Olympics...

That's more sport in politics.

In the realm of global politics I am generally pro West anti Russia and believe I can justify this well.

But in this particular case, they are screwing Russia over imo.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

Re: Re:

06 Dec 2017 17:17

The Hitch wrote:
jmdirt wrote:No Russia in the Olympics...

That's more sport in politics.

In the realm of global politics I am generally pro West anti Russia and believe I can justify this well.

But in this particular case, they are screwing Russia over imo.

I am neither pro West, pro East, pro South, pro North, pro Russia or somewhere in between. I don't really have a strong (negative or positive) opinion on Russia, I've never even been to the country or any other former Soviet republic, but the current political climate was ripe for the ban. It was waiting to happen. I had stop following news from the US or indeed some of the Western European countries as it was constant criticism of Russia, anything Russia. My honest opinion on this is that the ban is more to do with Russia's involvement in Ukraine and Syria, rather actual doping.
BullsFan22

06 Dec 2017 18:22

BullsFan22 wrote:
I am neither pro West, pro East, pro South, pro North, pro Russia or somewhere in between. I don't really have a strong (negative or positive) opinion on Russia, I've never even been to the country or any other former Soviet republic, but the current political climate was ripe for the ban. It was waiting to happen. I had stop following news from the US or indeed some of the Western European countries as it was constant criticism of Russia, anything Russia. My honest opinion on this is that the ban is more to do with Russia's involvement in Ukraine and Syria, rather actual doping.

Hmmmmmmmm..... I think your posting history suggests otherwise.

The punishment might be rife with hypocrisy, but considering that Russia likely did the crime, it is hard to say that they are the victims in this drama.
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore

06 Dec 2017 19:51

djpbaltimore wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:

The punishment might be rife with hypocrisy, but considering that Russia likely did the crime, it is hard to say that they are the victims in this drama.

Yes, since there is no country that can claim that their athletes are clean, and while "state approved" doping might be harder to prove, its a stretch to think that any country is innocent.
jmdirt

06 Dec 2017 21:04

djpbaltimore wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:

BullsFan22

Re: Politics in Sports

06 Dec 2017 23:14

Colin Kaepernick won SI's Ali Legacy award for social activism, and what really surprised me, is a finalist for Time's Person of the Year cover story, right up there with Trump, Vlad, Bezos and Rocket Man. He's not going to win it, but remarkable that he's on the list.
Merckx index

Re: Politics in Sports

07 Dec 2017 13:39

Merckx index wrote:Colin Kaepernick won SI's Ali Legacy award for social activism, and what really surprised me, is a finalist for Time's Person of the Year cover story, right up there with Trump, Vlad, Bezos and Rocket Man. He's not going to win it, but remarkable that he's on the list.

North Korean Leader or Mike Hughes ?
del1962
Veteran

07 Dec 2017 19:20

Yesterday, US ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley mentioned that the US may not send its athletes to the Winter Olympics. Today, press secretary Sarah Sanders basically remained noncommittal about this when asked. Weird. USOC has the final say, but would they veto the wishes of the POTUS if it came to that?
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore

30 Apr 2018 11:28

For me the Giro starts in Sicily. I won't watch the first 3 stages for many reasons: The political one is the first and foremost, the second is that I don't support starting a Giro from that far and the third is the presence of someone that can steal results from other riders with a high chance of being stripped later.
User avatar slosada

Re:

30 Apr 2018 12:45

slosada wrote:For me the Giro starts in Sicily. I won't watch the first 3 stages for many reasons: The political one is the first and foremost, the second is that I don't support starting a Giro from that far and the third is the presence of someone that can steal results from other riders with a high chance of being stripped later.

The third reason would have to force you to miss the entirety of the Giro.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re:

30 Apr 2018 13:14

slosada wrote:For me the Giro starts in Sicily. I won't watch the first 3 stages for many reasons: The political one is the first and foremost, the second is that I don't support starting a Giro from that far and the third is the presence of someone that can steal results from other riders with a high chance of being stripped later.

The transfer was longer in '14. Froome probably has less risk to be stripped of his results than Contador had in '11. As for the political concerns, to each his own, but I certainly wouldn't have Israel as any worse than most other Middle Eastern countries. Or China, for that matter.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

30 Apr 2018 14:12

staubsauger wrote:
Bye Bye Bicycle wrote:Mareczko has eight wins this year so far. Hardly an "off year". ;) And yes, I know what kind of races he won. But still.

Yeah, let's hope you're right and I'm wrong. I mean Guardini hardly wins in Malaysia and Croatia these days against poor competition. Maybe Mareczko only took a somewhat slower build-up to the Giro in contrast to Guardini's obvious decline. Would be nice, since there's still an open check between Viviani and Mareczko from 2 years ago when the italopolish youngster outsprinted his designated team leader in Argentina!

Actually I'm looking forward to the grande partenza in Jerusalem. Should be one of the best gt starts ever with the prolog up the temple mount and some very nice shots of Israels picturesque capital!

Israel's capital? I think you're forgetting something very important there.
Pirazziattacks

30 Apr 2018 14:19

Netserk wrote:

The transfer was longer in '14. Froome probably has less risk to be stripped of his results than Contador had in '11. As for the political concerns, to each his own, but I certainly wouldn't have Israel as any worse than most other Middle Eastern countries. Or China, for that matter.

+1

The third reason affects the whole Giro if he doesn't crash out.
Last edited by Escarabajo on 01 May 2018 02:49, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

30 Apr 2018 14:50

Netserk wrote:

What is wrong with you people? Is a cycling race enough for you to deny what the state of Israel is, how it came to be what it is, and what it continues to do to Palestinians?

I'm not sure if you're posting out of naiveté, malice, or some sick form of moral relativism. Frankly, it doesn't really matter. It's not a political concern. It's about a series of heinous and ongoing crimes, the destruction and dispossession of an entire people and culture- all allowed, encouraged and funded by large portions of the international community. If this doesn't bother you, I don't know what will. Spot of genocide? Have at it, to each his own right?
Pirazziattacks

30 Apr 2018 14:58

Pirazziattacks wrote:
Netserk wrote:

What is wrong with you people? Is a cycling race enough for you to deny what the state of Israel is, how it came to be what it is, and what it continues to do to Palestinians?

I'm not sure if you're posting out of naiveté, malice, or some sick form of moral relativism. Frankly, it doesn't really matter. It's not a political concern. It's about a series of heinous and ongoing crimes, the destruction and dispossession of an entire people and culture- all allowed, encouraged and funded by large portions of the international community. If this doesn't bother you, I don't know what will. Spot of genocide? Have at it, to each his own right?

Off-topic. You can find some other forums focused on politics, geopolitics or whatever you like. But please don't start something here.
Same with slosada. I'm not an admin but I'm pretty sure it could go off-chart if you start with those kind of discussions. I'm not following CN forum to read some political propaganda, thanks.
Krokro

30 Apr 2018 15:19

Krokro wrote:
Pirazziattacks wrote:
Netserk wrote:

Off-topic. You can find some other forums focused on politics, geopolitics or whatever you like. But please don't start something here.
Same with slosada. I'm not an admin but I'm pretty sure it could go off-chart if you start with those kind of discussions. I'm not following CN forum to read some political propaganda, thanks.

The Giro is starting in Israel/Palestine. What do you want us to do, pretend there's nothing to talk about here? It's not off-topic, it couldn't be more relevant. I didn't make the decision to have the giro start there. The organisers did that, and so here we are. Politics and sport aren't somehow separate, they can't be.

You aren't here for politics, and yet you call my post 'propaganda'. See, you've expressed an opinion already. By the way, how is my post disruptive and a post saying this is all fine not?
Pirazziattacks

PreviousNext

Return to General