Register

***Book Club***

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

30 Oct 2012 09:51

Descender wrote:Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.

The best written book I've ever read.

Great book. So well written and quite funny in parts.
movingtarget
Veteran

31 Oct 2012 02:24

i like read too. http://www.cwmalls.com i have Mens Double Breasted Fur Coat many art and :ptechnolgy books.
There is no resting place for an enterprise in a competitive economy.
charmjacket
Newly Registered Member

04 Nov 2012 00:00

You want real meat? L.F. Celine...THE writer of the 20th...
The Gnome

13 Aug 2013 12:12

Two great football books I just read are Thierry Henry's biography "Lonely at the Top" by Philippe Auclair. Many reviews said that was one of the best football books of 2012. Another is Guillem Balague's one on Pep Guardiola "Another way of Winning" which was a very insightful and informative account into Pep's career as a player and his management style at Barca.

Further back I read Peter Bergen's brilliant account "Manhunt: The Ten-Year Search for Bin Laden--from 9/11 to Abbottabad". You might remember him being CNN's terrorist expert and who interviewed Bin Laden back in the 90's. A much better book than Mark Bowden's book on it "The Finish" which was a big letdown with nothing really new or ground breaking in it and was pretty basic in the info he put together.
User avatar gooner

13 Aug 2013 13:23

The most recent book I read was George Orwell's Burmese Days. Cracking read, although it won't be everybody's cup of tea. I was a little disgusted by rampant debauchery in the book and I hope its description of colonial life in the 20th century wasn't entirely accurate, although I suspect that that is wishful thinking, considering Orwell was born in India and served in Burma for several years, he would have witnessed this first hand.

Other than that, it is unique in that it's the only work of fiction I've ever read without feeling sympathetic or liking more than one character. All of them, with the exception of the protagonist, Florey, are utterly loathsome, despicable individuals. And even Florey had massive character flaws.

I think it's a great testament to Orwell's huge talent as an author that he can create a scenario like this where the reader is often but a sentence away from pushing the book aside in disgust but yet still make it such a gripping read that you can't put down.
User avatar Alphabet

13 Aug 2013 14:20

Great book Burmese days and no doubt an accurate portrayal of colonial life. Orwell also wrote none fiction on his time in East India most famously perhaps shooting an elephant which I found even more distressing.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

13 Aug 2013 23:06

Gotta love those Hitchenstards iconizing Orwell, lol !
Echoes

14 Aug 2013 01:03

The Count of Monte Christo by Alexandre Dumas

The whole thing, not some shortend version.
Best book I've read yet. I'm reading it once every year and it doesn't get old.
Only proper cycling fans appreciate flat sprint stages - Strawberry_jams
kingjr

14 Aug 2013 11:29

Echoes wrote:Gotta love those Hitchenstards iconizing Orwell, lol !

What's a Hitchenstard? :o
User avatar Alphabet

14 Aug 2013 13:56

Alphabet wrote:What's a Hitchenstard? :o

It's just the suffix - "tard" from the word "retard" added onto - "Hitchens" from which comes my username - "Hitch".

Basically, calling me a retard. Rather randomly because I made 1 post, not provocative and it was directed to you.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

14 Aug 2013 14:45

Oh.

Well it's pretty unfair to call people out for liking Orwell. What's wrong with his writing skills? Nobody is putting him on some pedestal where he's equal to Shakespeare/Constantine the Great and saying that his works will be cherished centuries from now. I just think he wrote a very good book, is all.
User avatar Alphabet

14 Aug 2013 14:46

The Hitch wrote:It's just the suffix - "tard" from the word "retard" added onto - "Hitchens" from which comes my username - "Hitch".

Basically, calling me a retard. Rather randomly because I made 1 post, not provocative and it was directed to you.

That's the internet for you. Toss a "Gotta love" a "-tard" and "lol" into a post and somehow that's supposed to be read as a substantial critique. I trust that you are now in the process of giving your political and literary inclinations a serious reconsideration.
User avatar Wallace

14 Aug 2013 14:56

Stop with the name-calling and stay on topic.

Thanks.
User avatar Berzin

25 Aug 2013 03:44

Reading House of Cards by Michael Dobbs and enjoying it. Dobbs was a politician and it all rings true.
movingtarget
Veteran

26 Aug 2013 15:51

War and Peace & Anna Karenina by L.N.Tolstoy are the best books I've ever read.
Orwell and Becketts books are high quality too.
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

26 Aug 2013 17:45

movingtarget wrote:Great book. So well written and quite funny in parts.

@Lolita by Nabokov

Depends on what you call 'funny' :D
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

26 Aug 2013 19:10

In the middle of "In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson about the US ambassador to Germany in 1933/1934. Very interesting.
Dude17

30 Aug 2013 05:15

The Gnome wrote:You want real meat? L.F. Celine...THE writer of the 20th...

Ha, I was just looking up Journey to the End of the Night. It's been about ten yrs. since I read it, think I'll read it again.
http://www.amazon.ca/Journey-Night-Louis-Ferdinand-Celine/dp/0811216543/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1377839312&sr=1-1&keywords=journey+to+the+end+of+the+night
RetroActive

13 Oct 2013 20:56

Recently read "Blindness" by José Saramago.

I have actually been a fan of Saramago and read 4 of his books before this: History of the siege of Lisbon, The elephant's journey (see my profile pic), The gospel according to Jesus Christ, and Job. But I never wanted to read "Blindness" because it sounded too much like a horror movie and I don't care for horror movies.

Now I'm a bit torn about it. As far as style goes, it's typical Saramago. In that sense, if you've read one of his books, you've read them all - the style is always the same. It's funny, it's entertaining, but it also gets a bit old at some point, at least after the 4th book.

The book itself is odd. On the one hand it's incredibly disgusting and very very explicit in all the disgusting scenes. Basically it's a 300-page orgy of fecies, urine, vomit, sex, rape, violence and death. I get that there is not much that separates us from wild animals - but you get that point after the 3rd chapter. After that you ask yourself what the point is of describing every little detail of violence and rape.

But the initial premise is intersting, as usually with Saramago. It's a good idea, and he's a great storyteller, so of course you cannot say that this is not a good book. It goes to show Saramago's skill that even though you are disgusted by what you read, you cannot put it down.

But I think now I am saturated with Saramago for a while. And I don't want to see the movie, even though I seriously wonder how they could possibly turn this book into a movie without it being prohibited for under 36 year-olds.
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Veteran

13 Oct 2013 21:01

Also read "Last night in Twisted River" by John Irving this summer. It was the first book of his that I read and I really liked it! Once you get through the first chapter it is an absolute delight. What a great story teller, and what great characters! Definitely looking forward to reading more books of his.
piccoli equivoci senza importanza.

Visit my blog on spanish history: http://www.histoires-espagnoles.blogspot.fr
User avatar Christian
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General