Register

***Book Club***

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

11 Sep 2009 12:37

I'lll let you know when I finish. The first chapter is quite funny.

I was thinking of seeing the movie as I love Meryl Streep.

Susan
User avatar Susan Westemeyer
Administrator

14 Sep 2009 18:12

Finished Don't Look Twice by Andrew Gross last week, and can't decide what to move onto next. Have about 100 books that have been bought and allowed to gather dust over the last 10 years but I think one of my Tom Clancy ones will get read next.
User avatar Big_Blue_Dave

14 Sep 2009 18:22

Recently read "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Just finished "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz. Currently reading "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" by Muriel Barbery.

Comments on a few mentioned by others:
Couldn't stand "The Road." Just couldn't make more than about halfway through the first chapter. ;)

Liked "Winter of our Discontent" by Steinbeck. It was a book that stuck with me after I read it more than I thought it would.
Dude17

14 Sep 2009 19:50

Almost done with the first part of the 'millennium trilogy' by Stieg Larsson.
It's good, but I honestly don't get the hype.
I probably will read the second part when I'm done with this since it's only €10,- here now. :)

But overall I still prefer to read cycling books. I have a small collection of about 200 now and I still enjoy reading new ones and searching for old ones.
User avatar ak-zaaf

14 Sep 2009 20:53

Dude17 wrote:Couldn't stand "The Road." Just couldn't make more than about halfway through the first chapter. ;)

Personal preferences are funny, aren't they? I couldn't put the book down and I finished it in an afternoon.
"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
User avatar elapid

14 Sep 2009 21:17

elapid wrote:Personal preferences are funny, aren't they? I couldn't put the book down and I finished it in an afternoon.

That's why so many different books get published. Keeps writers, agents and publishers in business, which isn't a bad thing. :D
Dude17

15 Sep 2009 11:41

ak-zaaf wrote:Almost done with the first part of the 'millennium trilogy' by Stieg Larsson.
It's good, but I honestly don't get the hype.
I probably will read the second part when I'm done with this since it's only €10,- here now. :)

FWIW my wife had almost the same reaction to the first one, even reading it in it's original text, but started the second one, and has follow head over heels for the series. She says the second one brought it all together for her, and she's very much into it now.

To the point now we "get" to watch the movies...with Swedish text and Norwegian subtitles...should push my right into "in over my head" in about 15 minutes! :D
[SIZE="1"][/SIZE]"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe."
User avatar flyor64

16 Sep 2009 11:53

I'm on a Southern US literature kick. First I read by favourite Faulkner short story, "Shall Not Perish."

Now I'm reading Death of a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.

Then it will be back to Faulkner, Go down Moses, (which includes The Bear, also an incredible story) and then the collected short stories.

Susan
Administrator

17 Sep 2009 15:59

Susan Westemeyer wrote:Now I'm reading Death of a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.

I assume you mean "To Kill a Mockingbird"? I loved that book, especially the choice of Scout to tell the story.
Dude17

17 Sep 2009 16:05

Damn! Of course I meant "To Kill a MOckingbird."

Yeah, the use of Scout's viewpoint was very clever.

Susan
Administrator

17 Sep 2009 16:07

Susan Westemeyer wrote:Damn! Of course I meant "To Kill a MOckingbird."

Susan

I like the scene where Scout is at the tea party that her aunt, the mean nasty aunt that she doesn't like, is holding. Scout doesn't understand what is going on, which is obvious, but the reader gets it immediately. That scene is a great use of POV that I recommend any writer read a few times.
Dude17

17 Sep 2009 16:24

Great closing line on that scene, something like, "If Aunt Alexandra could be a lady at this time, then so could I."

I have family background in small southern towns, so a lot of the book is very familiar to me.

Susan
Administrator

17 Sep 2009 19:09

Susan Westemeyer wrote:Damn! Of course I meant "To Kill a MOckingbird."

Susan

To Kill A Mockingbird is a great novel. And the witty and dandy cousin who vists that summer from Mississipi is based up an actual person: Truman Capote.
Sheltowee

17 Sep 2009 19:30

That is so cool! I didn't know that, but I can absolutely see it.

Susan
Administrator

17 Sep 2009 19:36

That was the only novel she ever wrote. Truman Capote was her childhood friend, and she accompanied him to do research on "In Cold Blood".

Bio material here: http://www.harperlee.com/bio.htm
Administrator

17 Sep 2009 19:54

Susan Westemeyer wrote:That was the only novel she ever wrote. Truman Capote was her childhood friend, and she accompanied him to do research on "In Cold Blood".

Bio material here: http://www.harperlee.com/bio.htm

"In Cold Blood" is partly dedicated to her as well. I loved "In Cold Blood," which Capote called a non-fiction novel.
Dude17

17 Sep 2009 20:44

Reading the latest Pynchon - if the Cohen brothers don't snap up the rights and film it with Jeff Bridges as Doc then I'm a Dutchman.

Alternating with 'Absalom, Absalom' and Flannery O'Connor and I grew up in the industrial north of England - there's just something about the Southern Gothic genre that resonates and appeals.
bianchigirl

Labyrinth

17 Sep 2009 21:18

Anyone try Labyrinth, by Kate Mosse? It's set in France, in the Pyrenees. Splits between modern times and the crusades, lots of accurate, interesting historical background. Did a bit of research to see if the background was accurate and it was - mostly about the Cathars around the time of the Crusades. Started reading it during a cycling trip to the Pyrenees, was set in the exact area where we were... Very good read. Kind of new-age, holy grail quest deal, not unlike some of Dan Brown's writing.
Rupert

18 Sep 2009 16:12

I think Ernest Hemingway's early short stories is some of the best writing in American fiction. I am especially fond of the Nick Adams stories--my favorite being The Big Two-Hearted River. Of his novels many feel that the Sun Also Rises is the best and most likely they are right--it has a killer last sentence "It would be pretty to think so". But I prefer A Farewell to Arms. The introductory paragraph setting the war scene with the description of the landscape "that year" is just quite amazing.

Faulkner is a favorite too. His story The Bear and Isaac McCalsin's relationship with his half-brother who was sired as a slave is intriguing among other things. The Sound and the Fury is a fantastic and confusing novel which. along with Light in August, is great. Sex and necrophilia that can be disturbing in the story A Rose for Emily. Sanctruary, a novel, deals with rape and impotence. The character Popeye is another disturbing type who is a seminal character in all of Faulkner's work. Although it was not well received, but The Wild Palms is another work of his that I like as its subject matter is one of abortion and the conflicts surrounding it. The Snopses are a type that Faulkner gave to the world who take up residence in Faulkner's mythical county and are a fixture in much of his work. They are poor and will do anything to get a step up in the world. Their ruthlessness is a success and toward the end of his work they run the banks and whatnot replacing the old southern aristorcacy which is an ongoing conflict in Faulkner's work.
Sheltowee

18 Sep 2009 17:25

It's been ages since I read any Hemingway, probably since my college days. I'll have to see if I can't pick up some of his books when I'm in the US next month. Don't feel like tackling him in German.

Susan
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General