Register

***Book Club***

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

30 Nov 2009 15:17

Bala Verde wrote:started 'Once an Eagle' by Anton Myrer

great book. Hard to put that one down...
[SIZE="1"][/SIZE]"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe."
User avatar flyor64

30 Nov 2009 15:29

Currently reading:

"Snow" by Orhan Pamuk
"The Counter-Life" by Philip Roth

And am really wanting to re-read The Brothers Karamazov, but that'll probably be a long-term project (as Karamazov always is).
Moondance
Veteran

01 Dec 2009 13:44

flyor64 wrote:great book. Hard to put that one down...

Certainly is... only half a book to go now :)
User avatar Bala Verde
Veteran

26 Dec 2009 15:57

One of my Christmas presents was The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I wanted to read it because it is set in my old hometown of Washington, DC.

It is ....... very strange........

Susan
User avatar Susan Westemeyer
Administrator

26 Dec 2009 16:44

Currently reading "Too Big to Fail" by Andrew Ross Sorkin. If you have a desire to foam at the mouth with righteous indignation, I suggest picking up a copy.
Thoughtforfood

26 Dec 2009 18:13

Susan Westemeyer wrote:One of my Christmas presents was The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I wanted to read it because it is set in my old hometown of Washington, DC.

It is ....... very strange........

Susan

Not as good as Angels & Demons or the Da Vinci Code. Too predictable and the end was, as you say, very strange. But then again, it would be hard to follow two such good books with a third winner. Interesting insight into the Masons though.

I am just finishing "Pirate Latitudes", a novel by Michael Crichton which was found complete after his death. Great author with some very inventive novels. I will miss reading them.

Recently finished two books on K2: K2 - The Savage Mountain by Houston & Bates; and K2 - Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain by Ed Viesturs. Both great books that suck you into the tension of climbing such a difficult and dangerous mountain. Ed Viesturs's book also provides a good insight into human characteristics and frailties and group dynamics, particularly with type A personalities.
"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
User avatar elapid

18 Mar 2010 20:21

"Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald. Good book on how to achieve your racing weight for endurance sports people with advice based on scientific research and not hocus pocus.
User avatar elapid

18 Mar 2010 20:23

Bookcrossing.com is gaining popularity here. Just dumped a whole bunch of pockets (Grisham, Forsyth etc.) and picked up 2 nice new reads for free. Off the street.
Awesome system.

And i got 'Opkomst en ondergang van een ongelooflijk stomme zak' (Rise and fall of an incredibly stupid jerk) about the former manager of Marlene Ottey and Ben Jonhson among others. Should be a good 'clinic' read.
User avatar ak-zaaf

19 Mar 2010 13:05

My favorite book must be "The Tao of Being" by Ray Grigg. It's a modern adaptation of Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching.
lostintime

19 Mar 2010 17:06

I'm about to crack open my new copy of Web of Debt: The Shocking Truth About Our Money System and How We Can Break Free by Ellen Brown

http://www.amazon.com/Web-Debt-Shocking-Truth-System/dp/0979560829/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269018179&sr=8-1
“I was a bandit. If Boonen is the God of Belgian cycling, then I’m the Devil."
[SIZE="2"]~Roger De Vlaeminck[/SIZE]
User avatar RDV4ROUBAIX

19 Mar 2010 17:07

lostintime wrote:My favorite book must be "The Tao of Being" by Ray Grigg. It's a modern adaptation of Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching.

I still have "The Tao of Pooh".

Susan
User avatar Susan Westemeyer
Administrator

19 Mar 2010 21:32

I recently finished The Shack by William P. Young. I don't know why I picked it up at the bookstore because I am not religious, but it was actually an imaginative story and an interesting take on God and religion.
User avatar elapid

25 Mar 2010 11:37

Just about finished with Naiv. Super by Erlend Loe.

I've read it in Norwegian as part of my studies, but have just discovered that an English translation is available. It's very interesting story of one man's search for the meaning of life...I guess that's how I'd describe it. Admittedly I only started it to learn more of the language, but rather enjoyed it.

I'm also about halfway through the second book in the Millenium by Stieg Larsson. This time I'm reading the English translatiosns and I have to say they're fantastic and extremely well translated. As had been mentioned here earlier, they start off slow but definitely pick up steam...
[SIZE="1"][/SIZE]"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe."
User avatar flyor64

25 Mar 2010 13:57

I've been reading the feist books lately. currently reading the kings buccaneer. Really like his books.
User avatar Timmy-loves-Rabo
Veteran

26 Aug 2011 01:54

Felt this thread deserved a bump:

Lots of great suggestions throughout the first pages. Just finished Kafka's "The Castle." Exactly what I would expect from Kafka, thus incredibly entertaining.

I might take a fiction break for awhile and start Anquetil's biography, but have plenty of books loaded onto the Kindle to keep me occupied and diversified.
[SIZE="2"]El Rey[/SIZE]
User avatar nvpacchi

26 Aug 2011 03:46

A posting on a book thread was on my to-do list this week; I'm glad this got bumped.

Finally finished The Brothers Karamazov after a long, long summer. I liked it, but I don't think I'm smart enough to really understand all that its good for on my own. It would have been better to read with a group, maybe.

Prior to that, The Spy Who Came in from the Cold made up the first two novels I'd read in a long time. Now I want back in my non-fiction groove, and found a book called The Soccer Wars by Ryszard Kapuscinski. Its a collection of his writings as a journalist following many wars, and revolutions in Latin America, Africa, and Asia.
More Strides than Rides

26 Aug 2011 07:25

Biographies are my top favourite amongst books. Lord Curzon's biography is one of my favourites, much maligned (and justifiably so) but was instrumental in the founding of the Architectural Survey of India which has discovered some of the most important historic monuments round here.

Harold Larwood by Duncan Hamilton is also brilliant (for those into cricket or any Aussie or Pom).
ramjambunath

27 Aug 2011 04:00

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:I've been reading the feist books lately. currently reading the kings buccaneer. Really like his books.

YESSS!!! I've read almost all of his books! They are great!:D

Can anyone recommend an author similar to feist?
Swede1

01 Oct 2011 06:27

TRDean wrote:For historical fiction I read Bernard Cornwell. His Saxon Series is very well done and historically pretty accurate. Uhtred is a great character...and even helps Alfred become "the great".

I was beginning to think I'd never meet another Bernard Cornwell fan. And, for historical fiction, that Saxon Series is about as good as it gets. I also think John LeCarre is a master. His lastest novel, A Perfect Spy is tough reading but extremely interesting. Ken Follet is usually genius...The Pillars two novels were both simply masterpieces. For Americans, I like David Liss and Howard Norman. If you haven't read either, I'd recommend Coffee Trader as an entry for Liss and the Bird Artist for Norman. Finally, if you want a really spellbinding quick read, Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks is a can't miss.
Anyway, what a fun Thread this one is RDV. I got some great suggestions from these posts.
Quixote
Senior Member in the shadows
User avatar Quixote

01 Oct 2011 09:07

Swede1 wrote:YESSS!!! I've read almost all of his books! They are great!:D

Can anyone recommend an author similar to feist?

Yeah i read almost all his books as well not normally my genre at all. I think if u like feists books u should give Robert Hobb, George RR Martin and brandon sanderson.
Those are my principles and if you don't like them i have others
User avatar Midnightfright

PreviousNext

Return to General