Log in:  

Register

World Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

06 Sep 2017 17:41

Brullnux wrote:Go back on their agreement, if Trump continues to antagonise them. They've even elected a president who ran on a platform which was incredibly open to the west and reformist - and yet the US government still hates them.

President Clinton put an agreement together that they have never abided by and really never intended to do it.

Now it is copperheads fault. Normal.

How about the Russians?
"disc brake enlightenment"
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,300
Joined: 07 Dec 2010 15:53
Location: New Orleans

Re: Re:

06 Sep 2017 18:00

Semper Fidelis wrote:
Brullnux wrote:Go back on their agreement, if Trump continues to antagonise them. They've even elected a president who ran on a platform which was incredibly open to the west and reformist - and yet the US government still hates them.

President Clinton put an agreement together that they have never abided by and really never intended to do it.

Now it is copperheads fault. Normal.

How about the Russians?

I was talking about Iran, with whom I'm pretty sure Bill never signed a nuclear deal.

But yes, the antagonisation started before Trump, way before him. They installed the Shah in the 70s, called then a rogue state in the 90s, said they were the axis of evil in the 00s. But relations had been improving and Iran, like I said, have submitted to almost all the demands and elected a pro-west president. What more could the USA want? I understand the ayatollah still has the power to do what he wants, but both the deal and the election were steps in the right direction. Yet Tillerson reacted by accusing them of supporting terrorism. Which is false, as the islamic terrorism in the West is Sunni extremist, which Iran certainly do not support. Funnily enough, the terrorist supporters are actually our good ol' friends the Saudis. It's clear to me who the antagonisers are. Not that the rest of the West is doing a much better job.
Brullnux
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,765
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

Re: World Politics

07 Sep 2017 01:36

Korea has been a thorn in the US side and both Russia and China like it this way, Obama vs. Trump talks? It has been ongoing since the '50's, getting the nuke has always been the goal for the piglet family. Blame all of them, Reagan, Clinton, et caetera. They don't want to end-up like Saddam. The "axis of evil state" of the union speech was a warning that resounded loud and clear for both NK and Iran.

The Obama and Trump talks on this subject are either short-sighted or hypocrite. It has been looming for a long time, now we need to deal with it...
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton
Moderator
 
Posts: 3,249
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

07 Sep 2017 09:12

http://www.bruno-latour.fr/node/714

@tonton, Iranian enmity toward the US goes further back to the 50s at least with Mossadegh.
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,311
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47
Location: Bed-Stuy

07 Sep 2017 12:29

@brullnux

i follow iran a little bit...iran by any objective analysis is on the move and it is picking speed...

meaning, in part due to the mindless us policies in the middle east and in part due to their own wise diplomatic-military approach, iran's geopolitical position is much improved not only vis a vis its main enemy (israel) but also wrt the saudi arabia and america.

the 1st and biggest gain they achieved was in iraq, where they de facto pull the strings of not only the official shiite govt but also of several shiite militias which in one way or another promote the iranian line

their 2nd biggest gain is in syria. it is imo inarguable that the alawite (a branch of the shiites) assad survival is in part due to their staunch support (and of course due to the russian military-diplomatic role). still, their biggest gains in syria were the iran's own troops as well as their surrogates like hezbollah acquiring an invaluable combat experience. This hardening and military experience will come handy opposing the zionist state agression.

among the other big gains, i'd put their turn around of the eu sanctions into a line of the european nation competing to trade with them. noteworthy is that the eu (and germany in particular) are OFFICIALLY opposing the us policies of new sanctions and already said they will not support the us withdrawal from the nuclear agreements with iran. that's big... and if the us congress (in its proven stupidity) will withdraw anyway, europe will drift away from the us even faster...

among their smaller, yet significant achievements are the rapprochement with sunni turkey, egypt and of course qatar. the saud is livid with these stronger relations, not mention that iran is again OFFICIALLY supporting the biggest israeli headache - the hamas

with respect to their purely military achievements it is not well known that they produce an entire line of modern weapons - from missiles to tanks to drones...

none of this would be possible or at least would not occur so fast without the hypocritical, insidious and arrogant anti-iran policies the us pursued for so long.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,439
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

Re: World Politics

12 Sep 2017 12:55

....speaking of former president Barrack Odrone, oh look, another Nobel Peace prize winner goes full hypocrite and becomes a blood thirsty tyrant.....

Few people have ever heard of Myanmar’s Rohingya people. Not many more could find Myanmar on a map – particularly after its name was changed some years ago from Burma to Myanmar.

The exception is Burma’s sainted lady leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, who became a worldwide celebrity and Nobel Prize winner. The media loved her, a sort of Burmese Joan of Arc versus its brutal military junta.

But now, tragically, the Rohingya are headline news thanks to Myanmar’s brutal ethnic cleansing of one of the world’s most abused, downtrodden people.

Almost as revolting is the world’s failure to take any action to rescue the Rohingya from murder, rape, arson and ethnic terrorism. In recent weeks, over 270,000 Rakhines have been driven from their homes in Rakhine State in western Myanmar and now cower in makeshift refugee camps just across the border in Bangladesh in the midst of monsoon season.


http://www.unz.com/emargolis/deep-shame-on-suu-kyi-and-myanmar/

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,414
Joined: 04 Jul 2009 19:27

Re: World Politics

12 Sep 2017 22:14

blutto wrote:....speaking of former president Barrack Odrone, oh look, another Nobel Peace prize winner goes full hypocrite and becomes a blood thirsty tyrant.....

Few people have ever heard of Myanmar’s Rohingya people. Not many more could find Myanmar on a map – particularly after its name was changed some years ago from Burma to Myanmar.

The exception is Burma’s sainted lady leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, who became a worldwide celebrity and Nobel Prize winner. The media loved her, a sort of Burmese Joan of Arc versus its brutal military junta.

But now, tragically, the Rohingya are headline news thanks to Myanmar’s brutal ethnic cleansing of one of the world’s most abused, downtrodden people.

Almost as revolting is the world’s failure to take any action to rescue the Rohingya from murder, rape, arson and ethnic terrorism. In recent weeks, over 270,000 Rakhines have been driven from their homes in Rakhine State in western Myanmar and now cower in makeshift refugee camps just across the border in Bangladesh in the midst of monsoon season.


http://www.unz.com/emargolis/deep-shame-on-suu-kyi-and-myanmar/

Cheers


And the Chinese are supporting her by their actions in the UN.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/11/un-myanmars-treatment-of-rohingya-textbook-example-of-ethnic-cleansing
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,845
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: World Politics

13 Sep 2017 19:50

....more Nobel Peace Prize news....

To a certain extent, Aung San Suu Kyi is a false prophet. Glorified by the west for many years, she was made a ‘democracy icon’ because she opposed the same forces in her country, Burma, at the time that the US-led western coalition isolated Rangoon for its alliance with China.

Aung San Suu Kyi played her role as expected, winning the approval of the Right and the admiration of the Left. And for that, she won a Nobel Peace Prize in 1991; she joined the elevated group of ‘The Elders’ and was promoted by many in the media and various governments as a heroic figure, to be emulated
.


Hillary Clinton once described her as “this extraordinary woman.” The ‘Lady’ of Burma’s journey from being a political pariah in her own country, where she was placed under house arrest for 15 years, finally ended in triumph when she became the leader of Burma following a multi-party election in 2015. Since then, she has toured many countries, dined with queens and presidents, given memorable speeches, received awards, while knowingly rebranding the very brutal military that she had opposed throughout the years. (Even today, the Burmese military has a near-veto power over all aspects of government.)

But the great ‘humanitarian’ seems to have run out of integrity as her government, military and police began conducting a widespread ethnic cleansing operation that targeted the ‘most oppressed people on earth’, the Rohingya. These defenseless people have been subjected to a brutal and systematic genocide, conducted through a joint effort by the Burmese military, police and majority Buddhist nationalists


Certainly, the horrible fate of the Rohingya is not entirely new. But what makes it particularity pressing is that the west is now fully on the side of the very government that is carrying out these atrocious acts.

And there is a reason for that: Oil.

Reporting from Ramree Island, Hereward Holland wrote on the ‘hunting for Myanmar’s (Burma) hidden treasure.’

Massive deposits of oil that have remained untapped due to decades of western boycott of the junta government are now available to the highest bidder. It is a big oil bonanza, and all are invited. Shell, ENI, Total, Chevron and many others are investing large sums to exploit the country’s natural resources, while the Chinese – who dominated Burma’s economy for many years – are being slowly pushed out

Indeed, the rivalry over Burma’s unexploited wealth is at its peak in decades. It is this wealth – and the need to undermine China’s superpower status in Asia – that has brought the west back, installed Aung San Suu Kyi as a leader in a country that has never fundamentally changed, but only rebranded itself to pave the road for the return of ‘Big Oil’.

However, the Rohingya are paying the price
.

Amid international silence, only few respected figures like Pope Francis spoke out in support of the Rohingya in a deeply moving prayer last February.

The Rohingya are ‘good people’, the Pope said. “They are peaceful people, and they are our brothers and sisters.” His call for justice was never heeded.

Arab and Muslim countries remained largely silent, despite public outcry to do something to end the genocide


When US, European and Japanese corporations lined up to exploit the treasures of Burma, all they needed was the nod of approval from the US government. The Barack Obama Administration hailed Burma’s ‘opening’ even before the 2015 elections brought Aung San Suu Kyi and her National League for Democracy to power. After that date, Burma has become another American ‘success story’, oblivious, of course, to the facts that a genocide has been under way in that country for years.

The violence in Burma is likely to escalate and reach other ASEAN countries, simply because the two main ethnic and religious groups in these countries are dominated and almost evenly split between Buddhists and Muslims.

The triumphant return of the US-west to exploit Burma’s wealth and the US-Chinese rivalries is likely to complicate the situation even further, if ASEAN does not end its appalling silence and move with a determined strategy to pressure Burma to end its genocide of the Rohingya


http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/47796.htm

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,414
Joined: 04 Jul 2009 19:27

Re: World Politics

13 Sep 2017 19:54

movingtarget wrote:
blutto wrote:....speaking of former president Barrack Odrone, oh look, another Nobel Peace prize winner goes full hypocrite and becomes a blood thirsty tyrant.....

Few people have ever heard of Myanmar’s Rohingya people. Not many more could find Myanmar on a map – particularly after its name was changed some years ago from Burma to Myanmar.

The exception is Burma’s sainted lady leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, who became a worldwide celebrity and Nobel Prize winner. The media loved her, a sort of Burmese Joan of Arc versus its brutal military junta.

But now, tragically, the Rohingya are headline news thanks to Myanmar’s brutal ethnic cleansing of one of the world’s most abused, downtrodden people.

Almost as revolting is the world’s failure to take any action to rescue the Rohingya from murder, rape, arson and ethnic terrorism. In recent weeks, over 270,000 Rakhines have been driven from their homes in Rakhine State in western Myanmar and now cower in makeshift refugee camps just across the border in Bangladesh in the midst of monsoon season.


http://www.unz.com/emargolis/deep-shame-on-suu-kyi-and-myanmar/

Cheers


And the Chinese are supporting her by their actions in the UN.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/11/un-myanmars-treatment-of-rohingya-textbook-example-of-ethnic-cleansing


....the Chinese support is puzzling ( assuming the article quoted above is correct and the actions of the local government is pushing the Chinese out....or maybe this is a play by China to curry favour with the local regime...)....

....situation definitely requires much future attention...

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,414
Joined: 04 Jul 2009 19:27

Re: World Politics

13 Sep 2017 23:18

blutto wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
blutto wrote:....speaking of former president Barrack Odrone, oh look, another Nobel Peace prize winner goes full hypocrite and becomes a blood thirsty tyrant.....

Few people have ever heard of Myanmar’s Rohingya people. Not many more could find Myanmar on a map – particularly after its name was changed some years ago from Burma to Myanmar.

The exception is Burma’s sainted lady leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, who became a worldwide celebrity and Nobel Prize winner. The media loved her, a sort of Burmese Joan of Arc versus its brutal military junta.

But now, tragically, the Rohingya are headline news thanks to Myanmar’s brutal ethnic cleansing of one of the world’s most abused, downtrodden people.

Almost as revolting is the world’s failure to take any action to rescue the Rohingya from murder, rape, arson and ethnic terrorism. In recent weeks, over 270,000 Rakhines have been driven from their homes in Rakhine State in western Myanmar and now cower in makeshift refugee camps just across the border in Bangladesh in the midst of monsoon season.


http://www.unz.com/emargolis/deep-shame-on-suu-kyi-and-myanmar/

Cheers


And the Chinese are supporting her by their actions in the UN.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/11/un-myanmars-treatment-of-rohingya-textbook-example-of-ethnic-cleansing


....the Chinese support is puzzling ( assuming the article quoted above is correct and the actions of the local government is pushing the Chinese out....or maybe this is a play by China to curry favour with the local regime...)....

....situation definitely requires much future attention...

Cheers


Yes and China is their main trade partner...........
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,845
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

15 Sep 2017 08:07

so, just within a day of the new sanctions, north korea fired another missile over japan :)

i put a smily, b/c, yes, i grin at the us ineptitude and stupidity so obvious to anyone willing to see...

it is up to an individual reader to take my word (or not) but i did predict this latest firing with a 100% accuracy...

a friend who is aware i follow closely the korean escalation, called after the previous firing and asked, 'what next '? i said, ' just watch, within days they will fire another one over japan, except this time higher and further'.

and sure enough, they just did - according estimates it traveled 500 km further and reached 200-300 km higher than the previous missile that flew over japan. and again, despite much verbiage, it was NOT intercepted. (find a separate post above why).

far from being a genius, i simply drew a straight line through the simple sequence of events - each time the us and its 'allies' tried to either browbeat or intimidate the insubordinate fat face, he responded - just as predictably - by broadcasting his missile and nuclear capabilities.

he very simply is saying, 'i refuse to follow saddam and qaddafi to their grave after the 2 fools succumbed to your threats'.

something that's so obvious to a simple cn poster - the crude force and intimidation dont work on this chap - appears to completely allude the pentagon geniuses with all their utterly useless anti-missile toys :rolleyes: :o
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,439
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

Re: World Politics

15 Sep 2017 10:18

blutto wrote:....more Nobel Peace Prize news....

To a certain extent, Aung San Suu Kyi is a false prophet. Glorified by the west for many years, she was made a ‘democracy icon’ because she opposed the same forces in her country, Burma, at the time that the US-led western coalition isolated Rangoon for its alliance with China.

Aung San Suu Kyi played her role as expected, winning the approval of the Right and the admiration of the Left. And for that, she won a Nobel Peace Prize in 1991; she joined the elevated group of ‘The Elders’ and was promoted by many in the media and various governments as a heroic figure, to be emulated
.


Hillary Clinton once described her as “this extraordinary woman.” The ‘Lady’ of Burma’s journey from being a political pariah in her own country, where she was placed under house arrest for 15 years, finally ended in triumph when she became the leader of Burma following a multi-party election in 2015. Since then, she has toured many countries, dined with queens and presidents, given memorable speeches, received awards, while knowingly rebranding the very brutal military that she had opposed throughout the years. (Even today, the Burmese military has a near-veto power over all aspects of government.)

But the great ‘humanitarian’ seems to have run out of integrity as her government, military and police began conducting a widespread ethnic cleansing operation that targeted the ‘most oppressed people on earth’, the Rohingya. These defenseless people have been subjected to a brutal and systematic genocide, conducted through a joint effort by the Burmese military, police and majority Buddhist nationalists


Certainly, the horrible fate of the Rohingya is not entirely new. But what makes it particularity pressing is that the west is now fully on the side of the very government that is carrying out these atrocious acts.

And there is a reason for that: Oil.

Reporting from Ramree Island, Hereward Holland wrote on the ‘hunting for Myanmar’s (Burma) hidden treasure.’

Massive deposits of oil that have remained untapped due to decades of western boycott of the junta government are now available to the highest bidder. It is a big oil bonanza, and all are invited. Shell, ENI, Total, Chevron and many others are investing large sums to exploit the country’s natural resources, while the Chinese – who dominated Burma’s economy for many years – are being slowly pushed out

Indeed, the rivalry over Burma’s unexploited wealth is at its peak in decades. It is this wealth – and the need to undermine China’s superpower status in Asia – that has brought the west back, installed Aung San Suu Kyi as a leader in a country that has never fundamentally changed, but only rebranded itself to pave the road for the return of ‘Big Oil’.

However, the Rohingya are paying the price
.

Amid international silence, only few respected figures like Pope Francis spoke out in support of the Rohingya in a deeply moving prayer last February.

The Rohingya are ‘good people’, the Pope said. “They are peaceful people, and they are our brothers and sisters.” His call for justice was never heeded.

Arab and Muslim countries remained largely silent, despite public outcry to do something to end the genocide


When US, European and Japanese corporations lined up to exploit the treasures of Burma, all they needed was the nod of approval from the US government. The Barack Obama Administration hailed Burma’s ‘opening’ even before the 2015 elections brought Aung San Suu Kyi and her National League for Democracy to power. After that date, Burma has become another American ‘success story’, oblivious, of course, to the facts that a genocide has been under way in that country for years.

The violence in Burma is likely to escalate and reach other ASEAN countries, simply because the two main ethnic and religious groups in these countries are dominated and almost evenly split between Buddhists and Muslims.

The triumphant return of the US-west to exploit Burma’s wealth and the US-Chinese rivalries is likely to complicate the situation even further, if ASEAN does not end its appalling silence and move with a determined strategy to pressure Burma to end its genocide of the Rohingya


http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/47796.htm

Cheers


I think that Myanmar is just a simple case of geography sometimes dictates geopolitics. If you look at a map, the shortest route from China to the Bay of Bengal is through Myanmar. Certain groups would like to crush the BRI (Belt and Road Initiative) that would unite Asia and free up China's dependence on the South China Sea, which the US currently dominates. Basically, the reason the US has influence over China is because they can turn off China's economy like a tap, just by shutting down the narrow sea lanes.

John Swanson
ScienceIsCool
Member
 
Posts: 1,413
Joined: 05 Jul 2009 15:34

Re: World Politics

15 Sep 2017 10:37

ScienceIsCool wrote:
blutto wrote:....more Nobel Peace Prize news....

To a certain extent, Aung San Suu Kyi is a false prophet. Glorified by the west for many years, she was made a ‘democracy icon’ because she opposed the same forces in her country, Burma, at the time that the US-led western coalition isolated Rangoon for its alliance with China.

Aung San Suu Kyi played her role as expected, winning the approval of the Right and the admiration of the Left. And for that, she won a Nobel Peace Prize in 1991; she joined the elevated group of ‘The Elders’ and was promoted by many in the media and various governments as a heroic figure, to be emulated
.


Hillary Clinton once described her as “this extraordinary woman.” The ‘Lady’ of Burma’s journey from being a political pariah in her own country, where she was placed under house arrest for 15 years, finally ended in triumph when she became the leader of Burma following a multi-party election in 2015. Since then, she has toured many countries, dined with queens and presidents, given memorable speeches, received awards, while knowingly rebranding the very brutal military that she had opposed throughout the years. (Even today, the Burmese military has a near-veto power over all aspects of government.)

But the great ‘humanitarian’ seems to have run out of integrity as her government, military and police began conducting a widespread ethnic cleansing operation that targeted the ‘most oppressed people on earth’, the Rohingya. These defenseless people have been subjected to a brutal and systematic genocide, conducted through a joint effort by the Burmese military, police and majority Buddhist nationalists


Certainly, the horrible fate of the Rohingya is not entirely new. But what makes it particularity pressing is that the west is now fully on the side of the very government that is carrying out these atrocious acts.

And there is a reason for that: Oil.

Reporting from Ramree Island, Hereward Holland wrote on the ‘hunting for Myanmar’s (Burma) hidden treasure.’

Massive deposits of oil that have remained untapped due to decades of western boycott of the junta government are now available to the highest bidder. It is a big oil bonanza, and all are invited. Shell, ENI, Total, Chevron and many others are investing large sums to exploit the country’s natural resources, while the Chinese – who dominated Burma’s economy for many years – are being slowly pushed out

Indeed, the rivalry over Burma’s unexploited wealth is at its peak in decades. It is this wealth – and the need to undermine China’s superpower status in Asia – that has brought the west back, installed Aung San Suu Kyi as a leader in a country that has never fundamentally changed, but only rebranded itself to pave the road for the return of ‘Big Oil’.

However, the Rohingya are paying the price
.

Amid international silence, only few respected figures like Pope Francis spoke out in support of the Rohingya in a deeply moving prayer last February.

The Rohingya are ‘good people’, the Pope said. “They are peaceful people, and they are our brothers and sisters.” His call for justice was never heeded.

Arab and Muslim countries remained largely silent, despite public outcry to do something to end the genocide


When US, European and Japanese corporations lined up to exploit the treasures of Burma, all they needed was the nod of approval from the US government. The Barack Obama Administration hailed Burma’s ‘opening’ even before the 2015 elections brought Aung San Suu Kyi and her National League for Democracy to power. After that date, Burma has become another American ‘success story’, oblivious, of course, to the facts that a genocide has been under way in that country for years.

The violence in Burma is likely to escalate and reach other ASEAN countries, simply because the two main ethnic and religious groups in these countries are dominated and almost evenly split between Buddhists and Muslims.

The triumphant return of the US-west to exploit Burma’s wealth and the US-Chinese rivalries is likely to complicate the situation even further, if ASEAN does not end its appalling silence and move with a determined strategy to pressure Burma to end its genocide of the Rohingya


http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/47796.htm

Cheers


I think that Myanmar is just a simple case of geography sometimes dictates geopolitics. If you look at a map, the shortest route from China to the Bay of Bengal is through Myanmar. Certain groups would like to crush the BRI (Belt and Road Initiative) that would unite Asia and free up China's dependence on the South China Sea, which the US currently dominates. Basically, the reason the US has influence over China is because they can turn off China's economy like a tap, just by shutting down the narrow sea lanes.

John Swanson


....and hundreds of thousands of people have to be royally screwed over for some political advantage.....

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,414
Joined: 04 Jul 2009 19:27

15 Sep 2017 11:11

i speculate - like most 'whites' - i did not know all that much about that lost corner of asia called myanmar...

that is, until i started reading a bit more to form my own opinion which i admit is already suspicious of the western msm 'genocide' chorus...

to begin with, how many 'whites' know the muanmar is no longer burma ? indeed, i found it funny that despite thinking of themselves as 'civilized europeans' the commentators on france24 persistently use only a 'burma' term. or how many europeans and 'whites' know/remember that during the ww2 the allegiances of the burma muslims (the now persecuted rohingya) were with the japanese as opposed to the rest of burma inhabitants with the allies....? or the simple facts of ethnicity and religion...how many knew the rohingya are darker skinned muslims like many south indian ethnicites vs the typical 'chinese like' buddist residents of the myanmar ?

of course this does not take away from the mass injustices done by the military authorities of myanmar. but i have not found A SINGLE mention in the western msm that the current violence was started by the extremist muslims attacking the police stations...

i am far from supporting the asiatic violence against the defenseless refugees, but i feel suspicious of the chorus of IDENTICAL ideologically painted stories from the western msm...

btw, again try as hard as you may, but you will not find in the western msm that india, like china support the official govt. you need to sift through what i did to find that... russia leans the same way too. thus a zero chance of the unsc sanctions !

yes, it is a horrible mix of some geopolitics, some religion some ethnic intolerance etc.

it is NOT a single, simplified emotion that so many of us in the west swallow from our msm :mad:
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,439
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

Re:

15 Sep 2017 13:19

python wrote:of course this does not take away from the mass injustices done by the military authorities of myanmar. but i have not found A SINGLE mention in the western msm that the current violence was started by the extremist muslims attacking the police stations...

First, the attacks on police were mentioned in Western news outlets.
Secondly, do you really believe this was the 'start' of the current violence?
User avatar Jagartrott
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,124
Joined: 15 Apr 2014 13:37

15 Sep 2017 13:32

1st, feel free to link to the westerm msm that mentioned the attacks on the police stations...i did not read any locally
2nd, since you often allude to some scientist not being up to your standard, i need to point out to your obvious sloppiness (for a scientist wiping others noses) with respect to reading and using the term as written...i specifically said the msm (main street media). you - very sloppily or self-servicing - 'western news outlets'

posters like blutto and aphro use 'the western news outlets' all the time to bring up the hypocrisy of the western msm. you ? when it serves you ?
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,439
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

Re:

15 Sep 2017 13:38

python wrote:1st, feel free to link to the westerm msm that mentioned the attacks on the police stations...i did not read any locally
2nd, since you often allude to some scientist not being up to your standard, i need to point out to your obvious sloppiness (for a scientist wiping others noses) with respect to reading and using the term as written...i specifically said the msm (main street media). you - very sloppily or self-servicing - 'western news outlets'

posters like blutto and aphro use 'the western news outlets' all the time to bring up the hypocrisy of the western msm. you ? when it serves you ?


....keyboard please.....wonder if J does house-calls cause I had coffee bubbles coming out my nose after I saw that....too funny....real fine shooting p.....

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,414
Joined: 04 Jul 2009 19:27

Re:

15 Sep 2017 13:53

python wrote:1st, feel free to link to the westerm msm that mentioned the attacks on the police stations...i did not read any locally
2nd, since you often allude to some scientist not being up to your standard, i need to point out to your obvious sloppiness (for a scientist wiping others noses) with respect to reading and using the term as written...i specifically said the msm (main street media). you - very sloppily or self-servicing - 'western news outlets'

posters like blutto and aphro use 'the western news outlets' all the time to bring up the hypocrisy of the western msm. you ? when it serves you ?

Still not gotten over it eh. I was responding to your claim, then obviously I'm talking about 'Western MSM'. Sorry for the sloppiness.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/27/thousands-evacuated-as-violence-flares-in-myanmar-rohingya-bangladesh
User avatar Jagartrott
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,124
Joined: 15 Apr 2014 13:37

15 Sep 2017 16:55

^ keep in mind, not everyone holding you to your own 'scientific' standard needs to 'get over' something...that article, while heavily slanted, indeed mentioned the 'insurgent' violence against the authorities. in that regard it is much closer to a modicum of a balanced journalism than any of the western msm i still keep on my rss feed.

'ethnic cleansing' is the only theme left reverberating in an average layman mind after getting spun by the uncritical reporting of a rather complex issue...
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,439
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

Re:

15 Sep 2017 17:35

python wrote:i speculate - like most 'whites' - i did not know all that much about that lost corner of asia called myanmar...

that is, until i started reading a bit more to form my own opinion which i admit is already suspicious of the western msm 'genocide' chorus...

to begin with, how many 'whites' know the muanmar is no longer burma ? indeed, i found it funny that despite thinking of themselves as 'civilized europeans' the commentators on france24 persistently use only a 'burma' term. or how many europeans and 'whites' know/remember that during the ww2 the allegiances of the burma muslims (the now persecuted rohingya) were with the japanese as opposed to the rest of burma inhabitants with the allies....? or the simple facts of ethnicity and religion...how many knew the rohingya are darker skinned muslims like many south indian ethnicites vs the typical 'chinese like' buddist residents of the myanmar ?

of course this does not take away from the mass injustices done by the military authorities of myanmar. but i have not found A SINGLE mention in the western msm that the current violence was started by the extremist muslims attacking the police stations...

i am far from supporting the asiatic violence against the defenseless refugees, but i feel suspicious of the chorus of IDENTICAL ideologically painted stories from the western msm...

btw, again try as hard as you may, but you will not find in the western msm that india, like china support the official govt. you need to sift through what i did to find that... russia leans the same way too. thus a zero chance of the unsc sanctions !

yes, it is a horrible mix of some geopolitics, some religion some ethnic intolerance etc.

it is NOT a single, simplified emotion that so many of us in the west swallow from our msm :mad:

Back before I was a USMC my knowledge of asia was slim.
While being on many operations in Thailand / Cambodia / Laos was in many ways brought to my attention the country of Burma and the people. In Thailand around most major cities there are many refuges from Burma and Cambodia a large percentage of the folks who lived came out with missing limbs and many other health issues.

I was in the military and that made me or caused me to be rather cold ---looking back on it. But there is so much that could be done and so much attention that should be paid to that area because it is basically the same type of death and genocide that was happening in the 60 and 70's.
"disc brake enlightenment"
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,300
Joined: 07 Dec 2010 15:53
Location: New Orleans

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dazed and Confused, silvergrenade and 7 guests

Back to top