Register

World Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

12 May 2018 09:47

Ooh look...an entirely unexpected side-effect of Trump and Saudi's scheming over the Iran deal is that oil prices have shot up...
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

Re:

12 May 2018 13:40

macbindle wrote:Ooh look...an entirely unexpected side-effect of Trump and Saudi's scheming over the Iran deal is that oil prices have shot up...

They'll go even higher once trump the dummy gets his wish and Israel and Iran start fighting a war..
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

Re: Re:

13 May 2018 08:24

Bustedknuckle wrote:
macbindle wrote:Ooh look...an entirely unexpected side-effect of Trump and Saudi's scheming over the Iran deal is that oil prices have shot up...

They'll go even higher once trump the dummy gets his wish and Israel and Iran start fighting a war..

They already are in Syria -
https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5258306,00.html

The US is involved too
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/in-syria-an-accidental-bulwark-against-iran-shows-confusion-of-trump-policy/2018/05/12/458ed726-4ed7-11e8-af46-b1d6dc0d9bfe_story.html
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

13 May 2018 13:24

Robert5091 wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:

They already are in Syria -
https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5258306,00.html

The US is involved too
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/in-syria-an-accidental-bulwark-against-iran-shows-confusion-of-trump-policy/2018/05/12/458ed726-4ed7-11e8-af46-b1d6dc0d9bfe_story.html

Of course and another proxy war between the US and Russia..shades of Afghanistan. trump has no 'policy'..he wants to get rid of ISIL, which helps Syria and hence Iran and Russia...then wants Israel to do their dirty work for them..attack Iran.The strike in the Golan Heights is just the beginning.
Veteran

14 May 2018 05:49

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-44104600
Shia rivals of Iraqi Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi have made big gains in Saturday's parliamentary elections, partial results suggest.

With most votes counted, a bloc headed by cleric Moqtada al-Sadr and another led by a militia leader are ahead, voting officials are quoted as saying.

They suggest Mr Abadi's governing alliance is running third.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-44065739
Iraqis can vote for rival lists of candidates. Most are predominantly Shia or Sunni, though the Kurds have their own lists. The three most likely candidates for prime minister are all Shias.

The current prime minister, Haidar al-Abadi, heads the Nasr list, which is tipped to get the most votes. But under the Iraqi system he will not be able to form a majority government, which means negotiations for a coalition that could go on for months.

Most people believe that Mr Abadi's most serious rival for prime minister is the veteran paramilitary commander Hadi al-Amiri. He heads the Fatah list, which has become the political home of the Shia fighters of the Hashd and their supporters.

The third frontrunner is Nouri al-Maliki, the former prime minister. He was forced out of office in 2014 after IS swept through Iraq, capturing Mosul and great swathes of predominantly Sunni territory.

Mr Maliki's sectarian policies so alienated Sunnis that, at first, many welcomed the jihadists. The brutality of IS quickly changed minds, but by then the jihadists had declared their caliphate.

Sunnis I have spoken to are nervous about the Hashd fighters and their leader and candidate, Mr Amiri. He is very close to his fellow Shias in Iran, which for him is an entirely natural alliance.

It also makes the Iranians, through their friends in the Hashd, the strongest foreign force in Iraq.

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

14 May 2018 07:21

zero surprise at the Shia gains in iraq...

it is still a predominantly shia country where iran has continued to spread its influence both due to kin and the anti-west sentiments b/c of illegal invasions...similarly, but in a different context, iran has just clearly gained in lebanon via its arm hezbollah. and in case someone did not notice, iran's biggest extraterritorial investment since its revolution was in syria and it is clearly a success if measured by the assad survival and now his unstoppable taking syria back. that's a 3:0 score. the only place where iran is not yet clearly winning is in yemen where everyone seems to bug down.

that's the real reason for the us withdrawal from a nuclear deal - an attempt to redress and reverse its geopolitical defeats to iran.

if simplified even further, it is the historically dangerous confrontation of 2 grand coalitions - the us/saudi/israel axis against iran/russia/china. with the europeans this time having a big say in where the ball - or bombs/missiles/bullets will fall.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

14 May 2018 18:14

Pretty devastating events in Gaza, 52 dead and 2,400(!) wounded. I think this one can be laid pretty solidly at the door of Trump. Regardless of your opinion on israel/palestine, to set up an embassy in contested Jerusalem, during some very uneasy peace amidst a battle that has been going on 70 years is extraordinarily reckless. There is a reason why no other president, or country, has done this. This was always going to happen. And is 52 people being killed (with potential escalation from here) worth a symbolic geopolitical move? No.

Obviously, the idf here is at fault as well. A few rocks and badly built molotovs in a country which boasts about how 'liberal' and western it is (the only democracy in the middle east!) shouldn't be met with bullets. But of course, this is also a democracy with worse civil rights than Duterte and Uganda, so maybe we should expect less.
Brullnux
Veteran

Re:

14 May 2018 18:25

Brullnux wrote:Pretty devastating events in Gaza, 52 dead and 2,400(!) wounded. I think this one can be laid pretty solidly at the door of Trump. Regardless of your opinion on israel/palestine, to set up an embassy in contested Jerusalem, during some very uneasy peace amidst a battle that has been going on 70 years is extraordinarily reckless. There is a reason why no other president, or country, has done this. This was always going to happen. And is 52 people being killed (with potential escalation from here) worth a symbolic geopolitical move? No.

Obviously, the idf here is at fault as well. A few rocks and badly built molotovs in a country which boasts about how 'liberal' and western it is (the only democracy in the middle east!) shouldn't be met with bullets. But of course, this is also a democracy with worse civil rights than Duterte and Uganda, so maybe we should expect less.
thanks for posting this, brullnuux. you're way to civil towards the despicable crimes of the zionist state. it is a true massacre and the world, including europe are silent :mad:
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

15 May 2018 04:52

http://www.rudaw.net/english/middleeast/iraq/140520185
Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, whose al-Sayirun coalition is emerging as the surprise winner of Iraq’s parliamentary election, appeared to call for the formation of a technocratic government in a pun-laden tweet on Monday.

In a clever play on words using the names of several parties and coalitions, Sadr seemed to call for a nonpartisan, cross-sectarian government.
Al-Sayirun (Marching Towards Reform), is a coalition of Sadr’s supporters, some secularists, and the Iraqi Communist Party. According to preliminary election results, the alliance has won the most seats, followed by al-Fatih, pushing Haider al-Abadi’s Nasr (Victory) Alliance into third place.

Sadr has long called for a technocratic government in Iraq.

Some have interpreted Sadr’s tweet as a statement of intent to form a roughly cross-sectarian, all-inclusive coalition government.

User avatar Robert5091

15 May 2018 12:06

python wrote:
Brullnux wrote:Pretty devastating events in Gaza, 52 dead and 2,400(!) wounded. I think this one can be laid pretty solidly at the door of Trump. Regardless of your opinion on israel/palestine, to set up an embassy in contested Jerusalem, during some very uneasy peace amidst a battle that has been going on 70 years is extraordinarily reckless. There is a reason why no other president, or country, has done this. This was always going to happen. And is 52 people being killed (with potential escalation from here) worth a symbolic geopolitical move? No.

thanks for posting this, brullnuux. you're way to civil towards the despicable crimes of the zionist state. it is a true massacre and the world, including europe are silent :mad:

Agree but the point is trump is not silent but a loud cheerleader for this..His inbred relatives announcing that Jerusalem is the 'capitol', and markedly exclude the Muslims and their hold on East Jerusalem. Even by the knucklehead Kushner, who is 'supposed' to be working on mid-east peace..how can anybody trust this liar?

nobel peace prize, BS, Prize for the most war mongering leader for sure.
Veteran

15 May 2018 12:24

I'm just glad that trivialities such as the dead Palestinians didn't knock out the real main item news story on the BBC today.
User avatar macbindle

15 May 2018 13:08

Israel is completely, utterly insane. So happy the Giro started there to support their tourism aspirations.
I'm waiting for the first accusations of "anti-semitism" thrown around.

Summing up the concern of many, the UN rights office spokesman Rupert Colville told reporters in Geneva: “The mere fact of approaching a fence is not a lethal, life-threatening act, so that does not warrant being shot.

“It seems that anyone is liable to be shot dead,” he added, stressing that international laws that apply to Israel make clear that “lethal force may only be used as a measure of last, not first, resort”.

“It is not acceptable to say that ‘this is Hamas and therefore this is OK’,” Colville added, in an apparent dismissal of Israel’s justification for the high casualty levels among Palestinians in clashes along the border.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/15/palestinians-to-bury-58-people-killed-in-us-embassy-protests
User avatar Jagartrott

15 May 2018 22:43

N. Korea suspends talks with S. Korea, warns U.S., over joint U.S.-SK military exercises.

The U.S. protests that this is not a provocation, it's just a regular exercise. How is N. Korea's testing of missiles any different? NK doesn't have any war planes to test, their entire defense rests on nuclear weapons. But they're supposed to stop testing their defensive readiness, while the U.S. and SK can freely continue with theirs?

It's sometimes break-taking how American foreign policy manages not to see--or pretend not to see--how what it does is exactly what it objects to others doing. But this is unlikely to derail the Kim-Trump talks. More like Kim's saying, just because I made some concessions doesn't mean you don't have to make any.
Merckx index

16 May 2018 07:38

kim may be fat and ugly, but hardly stupid...only a complete idiot will give up to unilateral demands after seeing what happened to saddam and qaddafi when they did. both are dead and their countries were ruined.

if looked at rationally, the 'warm-up' was always about the mutual moves. refusing the reduction of the us militarism in korea should logically and very properly imo lead to china/norkor STOPPING the one-sided track.

all good-will gesture by norkors were ignored, and if south korea wants to unite the country they need agree to get the balls to and kick out america. or be ready to take a nuclear-armed north by force.

i very much doubt that china will agree to anything less.

that's the key difference btwm north korea today and the iraq/lybia destruction yesterday - the arabic strongmen were left alone to face the west aggression. we still remember the un 'no fly zones' etc...added: for that matter and even more relevantly, that's the reason why syria is NOT going the way of lybia...

someone, somewhere said enough is enough...

added 2: and since we are on the page, and that's perhaps WHY nato has stopped expanding eastward or the long-existing south china sea problems have floated to the top. both examples are quite different from the norkor nuclear dilemma, but imo illustrate the geopolitical ebb and flow of late...
User avatar python
Veteran

Re:

16 May 2018 10:27

Jagartrott wrote:Israel is completely, utterly insane. So happy the Giro started there to support their tourism aspirations.
I'm waiting for the first accusations of "anti-semitism" thrown around.

Summing up the concern of many, the UN rights office spokesman Rupert Colville told reporters in Geneva: “The mere fact of approaching a fence is not a lethal, life-threatening act, so that does not warrant being shot.

“It seems that anyone is liable to be shot dead,” he added, stressing that international laws that apply to Israel make clear that “lethal force may only be used as a measure of last, not first, resort”.

“It is not acceptable to say that ‘this is Hamas and therefore this is OK’,” Colville added, in an apparent dismissal of Israel’s justification for the high casualty levels among Palestinians in clashes along the border.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/15/palestinians-to-bury-58-people-killed-in-us-embassy-protests

It's an absolute disgrace. How anyone can claim the murder of dozens of people and the injuring of several thousand during a non-violent protest as self defence and proportionate is just crazy.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

16 May 2018 11:22

some of those kids threw stones...still, is there no others way to control a civilian protest ?? it was a civilian action like many happening daily in europe, except it took place inside a fence of a de fato concentration camp.

people were shot by the military snipers upon approaching the fence...or even when far from

Israeli forces shoot Canadian doctor in Gaza
http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israeli-forces-shoot-canadian-doctor-gaza-1157047681
“I am very seasoned about not being shot at. I know where to stand. I know where to be. I know how not to get shot,” he told the Canadian newspaper The Globe and Mail. “Snipers don’t reach me because of mistakes. I did everything right. We were all huddled. It was quiet at the exact moment I got shot.

i am waiting with bated breath for her majesty govt to lead the charge to sanction the zionist criminals as well as dear mutter or the lil napoleon to join in.

that the us is underwriting the crime is no surprise, but why europe does ? wait, i know, we are guilty of antisemitism :rolleyes:
User avatar python
Veteran

16 May 2018 11:43

Yes, but you are forgetting that the doctor's name is "Dr Tarek Loubani".

Sounds a bit like a standard terrorist name, does it not?
User avatar macbindle

17 May 2018 08:15

just perused my morning news in search of any concrete moves by the europeans to save the iran nuclear deal via protecting the euro business. in stead of the nitty-gritty details i found that every one is doing a lot of talking, talking and more talking. in fact, i am surprised that the talking heads are not treated more often for their mouth muscle fatigue.

it is a shame that europe is lead by the spineless talking heads while having in its possession all the necessary tools -from strong euro to independent banks to powerful and diverse economy :rolleyes:

in that regard i just recalled how decisive and vocal was germany when it was threatening little Greece a few years back over the rescue loans. cowards.
User avatar python
Veteran

17 May 2018 08:52

This is not good news -
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-44150762
The Ebola outbreak in Congo has spread from the countryside into a city, prompting fears that the disease will be increasingly difficult to control.

Health Minister Oly Ilunga Kalenga confirmed a case in Mbandaka, a city of a million people about 130km (80 miles) from the area where the first cases were confirmed earlier this month.

The city is a major transportation hub with routes to the capital Kinshasa.

Forty-two people have now been infected and 23 people are known to have died.

User avatar Robert5091

Re:

17 May 2018 09:00

python wrote:just perused my morning news in search of any concrete moves by the europeans to save the iran nuclear deal via protecting the euro business. in stead of the nitty-gritty details i found that every one is doing a lot of talking, talking and more talking. in fact, i am surprised that the talking heads are not treated more often for their mouth muscle fatigue.

it is a shame that europe is lead by the spineless talking heads while having in its possession all the necessary tools -from strong euro to independent banks to powerful and diverse economy :rolleyes:

in that regard i just recalled how decisive and vocal was germany when it was threatening little Greece a few years back over the rescue loans. cowards.

Dealing with Greece and dealing with the USA/Iran/Russia/Israel etc. in the big mess that the US withdrawl from BARJAM is creating are two very different situations. I'm hoping there is a lot of diplomacy going on in the background, hopefully cutting out most of the talking heads so they don't ruin it.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General