Log in:  

Register

World Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

01 Oct 2018 21:32

Jagartrott wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/30/huge-protests-in-brazil-as-far-right-presidential-hopeful-jair-bolsonaro-returns-home

So this guy basically threatens with a military coup if he's not elected. Crazy times we live in.


Bolsonaro enjoys widespread support among police and the military. His vice-presidential candidate, Gen Hamilton Mourão, unnerved Brazilians recently when he said in a situation of “anarchy”, a president could declare an “auto-coup”. Both men praise the military dictatorship that ran Brazil from 1964-1985, torturing and executing opponents.


The 1964 coup in Brazil was another black spot on the US's reputation - JFK & LBJ thought Brazil was going to go like Cuba -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Brazilian_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,869
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

01 Oct 2018 21:47

https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2018/10/01/575744/US-military-constructing-new-base-in-western-Iraq-near-Syria-border-Kurdish-official
The US military is reportedly building a new base in Iraq’s western province of Anbar as part of attempts to perpetuate its occupation of the conflict-ridden Arab country indefinitely, regardless of all opposition from religious figures and people from all walks of life.

Khalil Serfan, an official from the so-called Syrian Democratic Forces, told the Arabic service of Russia’s Sputnik news agency that the base is being constructed in the vicinity of al-Qa'im town, located nearly 400 kilometers northwest of the capital Baghdad.

Serfan noted that the construction of such a military site in such a strategically important region is in line with US bids to assert its military presence there.

In August, the US-led coalition purportedly fighting the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group stated that American forces will remain in Iraq as long as there is a need for them. The announcement runs contrary to Pentagon’s earlier pledges that US troops will withdraw from Iraq once the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group is defeated.


Back in July, it seems the same thing was reported - from Jul 14, 2018 https://en.muraselon.com/2018/07/us-to-open-new-military-bases-in-iraq-kuwait-reports/
The Erbil-based BasNews reported on Friday that the US is planning to inaugurate its third military base in Iraq, near the town of al-Qa’im in western Anbar Province bordering Syria.

The report quoted a source from Anbar Province as saying that the new American facility will join the already operating US airbases in Iraq, namely Ain al-Assad in Anbar and Habbaniya, both in Anbar.


The same news report includes
Separately on Friday, Kuwait’s al-Rai newspaper reported that the US will soon open a major military air hub near the country’s international airport.

Citing a statement from the US command in Kuwait, the Kuwaiti daily said the facility is intended to serve as a strategic military logistics supply point and the largest aerial port of debarkation in the Middle East.

The facility, the statement said, is further meant to fill the gap until the opening of West Al-Mubarak Airbase in Kuwait in 2023.

“Once finished, the total functional space at ‘Cargo City’ will feature an area of nearly 33,000 square meters,” said Captain Sean Murphy, a civil engineering flight officer in charge of the $32 million project.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,869
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden


05 Oct 2018 10:16

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-india-missiles/russia-signs-s-400-missile-deal-with-india-ifax-idUSKCN1MF10T?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Reuters%2FworldNews+%28Reuters+World+News%29

in a major fork you uncle, and just 6 days after furious america imposed heavy sanctions on china, india just signed a 5 bil contract for procuring the very s-400 system - exactly the same system china bought and was sanctioned for and...dont forget turkey, a nato member bought it too ignoring any us threats. clearly the system is so good, that it worries pentagon if they chase around the world trying to stop it....

....as in the un gen assembly last week, obviously indians are laughing at donald and his land of ...self-serving laws.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,856
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

11 Oct 2018 10:36

...i was flipping channels this morning and stumbled on a macron face giving a major speech in ....armenia...at a francophonie summit :rolleyes: besides the lil napoleon's pompous utterances and the hollow content, i thought wtf armenia has to do with french-speaking ? they said 82 states are in attendance.

perhaps i need to read up, but the entire affair sounds like a poor imitation of the british commonwealth. whatever.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,856
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

11 Oct 2018 11:06

You can read/remember some Voltaire and Rousseau to get a feel for the history of France-Armenia relations. They have been on good terms for a very long time, since the establishment of Cilicia, a Christian haven on the Islamic frontier during the Crusades and continued communication with the Franks. France has long been a supporter of Armenia in modern times too, condemning the Armenian Genocide. Many Armenians have contributed greatly to France and French culture.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,429
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

11 Oct 2018 11:46

interesting indeed.

just recalled a new armenian p-m visiting france last week for a departed and famous french-armenian national. the name alludes me now...also just recalled the staunch french support of the armenian genocide cause. also, the consistent support for the mid east armenians....

still, less than 1% speak french. nor can i recall a french mediation in the azeri-armenian conflict. now that i think of it, the armenian communities are scattered across the world, and likely have had various degrees of influence locally.

btw, if memory serves, the russian f-m lavrov is of armenian liniage.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,856
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

11 Oct 2018 13:59

France is a co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,429
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re:

11 Oct 2018 23:43

King Boonen wrote:You can read/remember some Voltaire and Rousseau to get a feel for the history of France-Armenia relations. They have been on good terms for a very long time, since the establishment of Cilicia, a Christian haven on the Islamic frontier during the Crusades and continued communication with the Franks. France has long been a supporter of Armenia in modern times too, condemning the Armenian Genocide. Many Armenians have contributed greatly to France and French culture.


The Armenian Genocide is a matter of controversy all over the world it seems even in Sydney Australia when a memorial was erected which many in the Turkish community didn't want built. It was built and duly defaced by morons but is still standing.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,476
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

12 Oct 2018 00:10

Bolsonaro look a like a genuine fascist - pro-violence, anti-democracy and everything. I know that recently th4 workers party have been courrpt and all Rousseff's tenure was a disaster, but surely this will just worsen every problem? There tends to be an economic pattern with far right governments...
Brullnux
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,358
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

12 Oct 2018 21:02

It would also be a disaster for the Amazon forest.
How bad have the others f***ed up to make this guy the frontrunner.
User avatar Jagartrott
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,579
Joined: 15 Apr 2014 13:37

15 Oct 2018 07:53

has anyone met a german speaker who upon a pleasure to meet a german would answer...'i am a bavarian' ? i did many times...

That aging experience may be less crisp now that i am analyzing the just ended bavarian elections. the results are a big deal not just for bavaria and germany but the europeans in general.

many left and right media headlines screamed of the 'right-wing revolution'. but in bavaria, perhaps the most conservative land in europe, the bigggest gainerss were........... the Greens. The ultra right (AfD), as in most of germany, gained too, but nowhere near the level to suggest a 'revolution'.

when the bavarians switch left from the establishment party ruling almost continuously since the ww2, the rest of europe needs to take a note.

i am now a little less worried about germany. the hesse elections in 2 weeks are predicted to further damage merkel and her conservatives.

upon a 2nd thought, the ultra right running for the 1st time and gaining 10% is worrisome too.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,856
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

Re: Re:

15 Oct 2018 15:42

movingtarget wrote:
King Boonen wrote:You can read/remember some Voltaire and Rousseau to get a feel for the history of France-Armenia relations. They have been on good terms for a very long time, since the establishment of Cilicia, a Christian haven on the Islamic frontier during the Crusades and continued communication with the Franks. France has long been a supporter of Armenia in modern times too, condemning the Armenian Genocide. Many Armenians have contributed greatly to France and French culture.


The Armenian Genocide is a matter of controversy all over the world it seems even in Sydney Australia when a memorial was erected which many in the Turkish community didn't want built. It was built and duly defaced by morons but is still standing.


I don't think it's really controversial, many countries have avoided official recognition due to pressure from Turkey, but only about 3 actively deny it happened.

The word genocide was coined for what happened to the Armenians, among others, by Raphael Lemkin.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,429
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re:

16 Oct 2018 00:10

python wrote:has anyone met a german speaker who upon a pleasure to meet a german would answer...'i am a bavarian' ? i did many times...

That aging experience may be less crisp now that i am analyzing the just ended bavarian elections. the results are a big deal not just for bavaria and germany but the europeans in general.

many left and right media headlines screamed of the 'right-wing revolution'. but in bavaria, perhaps the most conservative land in europe, the bigggest gainerss were........... the Greens. The ultra right (AfD), as in most of germany, gained too, but nowhere near the level to suggest a 'revolution'.

when the bavarians switch left from the establishment party ruling almost continuously since the ww2, the rest of europe needs to take a note.

i am now a little less worried about germany. the hesse elections in 2 weeks are predicted to further damage merkel and her conservatives.

upon a 2nd thought, the ultra right running for the 1st time and gaining 10% is worrisome too.


I wonder how much longer Merkel can last but Putin will be happy to see her go as she seems to be the most vocal opposition when it comes to Russia, and the UK of course. Although the Russian chances of seeing the sanctions lifted seem much more remote now mainly due to more recent events.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,476
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Re:

16 Oct 2018 07:25

movingtarget wrote:
python wrote:has anyone met a german speaker who upon a pleasure to meet a german would answer...'i am a bavarian' ? i did many times...

That aging experience may be less crisp now that i am analyzing the just ended bavarian elections. the results are a big deal not just for bavaria and germany but the europeans in general.

many left and right media headlines screamed of the 'right-wing revolution'. but in bavaria, perhaps the most conservative land in europe, the bigggest gainerss were........... the Greens. The ultra right (AfD), as in most of germany, gained too, but nowhere near the level to suggest a 'revolution'.

when the bavarians switch left from the establishment party ruling almost continuously since the ww2, the rest of europe needs to take a note.

i am now a little less worried about germany. the hesse elections in 2 weeks are predicted to further damage merkel and her conservatives.

upon a 2nd thought, the ultra right running for the 1st time and gaining 10% is worrisome too.


I wonder how much longer Merkel can last but Putin will be happy to see her go as she seems to be the most vocal opposition when it comes to Russia, and the UK of course. Although the Russian chances of seeing the sanctions lifted seem much more remote now mainly due to more recent events.
regarding merkel continuing heading the govt, we should find out soon. perhaps in 2 weeks. her coalition is shaky. if after the hesse elections her party and her 3 coalition partners shed more seats, it may be the beginning of her end...she is also facing her party convention in some days, where her party leadership may be further eroded, but i dont expect her to lose...

all in all, as weakened as she may come out, i dont see the pragmatic germans having a better alternative yet as unpopular as her immigration policy has become...the political landscape is very fractured and no mainstream party is willing to see the ultra right AfD in the govt.

re. her anti-russia politics, it is also not that simple. indeed, she's been a consistent defender of the the eu sanctions, including being attentive to the uk additional skripal sanctions. BUT she also listens carefully to german business which predominantly wants to trade and continue buying their natural gas. the best example of her (and german business) tenacity in protecting their relations with russia is the Nordstream 2 construction. not just poland, ukraine, denmark etc had vigorously objected the pipeline construction, but the us via the mouth of their prezz, had directly threatened all sorts of sanctions against germany...to no effect !

they are steadfastly defending this business venture with russia b/c:
1. they never had russia-derived troubles with delivery. even during the soviet state
2. they DID have ukraine-routed troubles with transportation. thus a direct pipeline via the baltic bypassing ukraine is their final goal.
3. unlike yankee ardz-leaking poland, they dont want the us lng which is 30% more expansive. only business-stupid or politically obsessed would voluntarily pay 30% more..it would automatically be passed to all prices., thus making german export oriented economy much less competitive.

we can say a lot about the geman mentality, habits or extremism, but stupid they are NOT. hence frau merkel is walking that very line with the resolve many underestimate in this remarkable lady complete free of the trump theatrics.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,856
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

20 Oct 2018 10:15

Seems like Khashoggi was getting warnings about his writing -
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-19/khashoggi-spent-last-years-of-his-life-looking-over-his-shoulder?srnd=premium-europe
Two years ago, as Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman was being praised by global bankers, investors and U.S. officials after unveiling his blueprint for an economic transformation, Khashoggi was already agitated. While the rest of the world saw “MbS” as a reformer shifting his glacial nation into the 21st century, Khashoggi looked beyond the carefully crafted image.

“We have a one-man rule, taking decisions that he issues at night without conferring with anyone -- this has never happened before in Saudi Arabia,” Khashoggi said over a fish lunch at a restaurant in Jeddah in November 2016. “People are in the dark,” he added, his words of warning juxtaposed by the tranquil turquoise waters of the Red Sea.
...
At the lunch in Jeddah in 2016, Khashoggi spoke about why he was nervous that day.

He was being “advised” to be “smart, to be careful, to remain silent,” he said, what he took as a warning to behave. He was soon banned from writing his weekly column in Al-Hayat, a London-based Saudi paper, and from posting on social media. For someone like Khashoggi, one of the kingdom’s most prominent journalists, it was tantamount to being in jail.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,869
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gobuck and 9 guests

Back to top