Register

World Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

10 Oct 2017 09:47

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2017/10/10/2017101001247.html
N.Korea Hacked Seoul-Washington War Plans Last Year

Oops!
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
"The president is one large S.T.D., and if you’re in close proximity you’re going to get tainted by it.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

10 Oct 2017 12:15

Robert5091 wrote:http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2017/10/10/2017101001247.html
N.Korea Hacked Seoul-Washington War Plans Last Year

Oops!

Surely everyone assumed these plans existed though? I'm also assuming that "decapitation" refers to removing high level military/government officials rather than actual decapitations. That would be both horrifying and weirdly specific.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

10 Oct 2017 13:54

...did not hear or read anything on the development in my west-based msm rss, but the new diplomatic conflict btwn the us and turkey was very much in the ctr of the turkish state media i saw (the trt and the a-news tv channels)

they smack the turkish 'instant and mirror' response to american suspension of visas...if i understood it correctly, it all started by the turkish arrest of some american diplomatic staff. the turks said, they did not have the diplomatic immunity. the us in an apparent response suspended visas to the turks traveling to america. which caused an immediate mirror retaliation from turkey.

i have not followed the substance of the latest spat and would be inclined to believe that erdogan (again) is waving around his little dijk, but what is noteworthy to me was the us public, clumsy and apparently punitive action instead of a discrete negotiations with a finicky yet a nato ally

either this administration did not believe the stick will meet a stick (which imo indicates a poor diplomatic acuity) or we dont know what else took place.... regardless, the us obsession with sanctions and punishments could backfiring...
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

Re:

10 Oct 2017 13:57

python wrote:...did not hear or read anything on the development in my west-based msm rss, but the new diplomatic conflict btwn the us and turkey was very much in the ctr of the turkish state media i saw (the trt and the a-news tv channels)

they smack the turkish 'instant and mirror' response to american suspension of visas...if i understood it correctly, it all started by the turkish arrest of some american diplomatic staff. the turks said, they did not have the diplomatic immunity. the us in an apparent response suspended visas to the turks traveling to america. which caused an immediate mirror retaliation from turkey.

i have not followed the substance of the latest spat and would be inclined to believe that erdogan (again) is waving around his little dijk, but what is noteworthy to me was the us public, clumsy and apparently punitive action instead of a discrete negotiations with a finicky yet a nato ally

either this administration did not believe the stick will meet a stick (which imo indicates a poor diplomatic acuity) or we dont know what else took place.... regardless, the us obsession with sanctions and punishments could backfiring...

It was on Foxnews briefly
Beech Mtn

Re: Re:

11 Oct 2017 09:37

Beech Mtn wrote:
python wrote:.............

It was on Foxnews briefly

decided to look a bit deeper into the matter since i was uncomfortable with my own lack of info and/or a potentially incorrect or hasty conclusion. below are the 2 very informative links from a generally well informed source (yet slightly biased against erdogan).

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2017/10/erdogan-blames-us-ambassador-john-bass-tensions-turkey.html
http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2017/10/turkey-us-suspend-visas-crisis-relations.html

in summary: my earlier supposition that a discrete way should have been tried by the us FIRST, does not appear practical as the differences are way too deep seated...what are they about ?

according to turkey, it is about the us sheltering the enablers of the regime change and spies.
according to the us, it is about the disruption of the us diplomatic activities.

regardless of who's story is closer to the truth, i'm thinking of a parallel...suppose, the us suspected AND ARRESTED an american-passport employee of a foreign embassy for an alleged spying. would anyone produce as much as a peep ? hardly. it's normal in counter-intelligence as long as he/she did not carry a diplomatic immunity.

what happened is essentially a reverse of the above scenario, except it was turkey arresting their nationals suspected of spying...the sharp american reaction in my judgement MAY signify 2 things: a) indeed the arrested may have been spies; b) the us indignation might be related to 'the others cant do it to the bigs-trong USA'.

at the same time, i suspect erdogan of a political adventurism (again) in the hope of raising his odds of extraditing gulen. the man he accused of masterminding the plot. interesting where will this go, as i see on the one side an ambitious ego centric gambler with a small member vs a political novice with a big member and even a bigger ego..
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

11 Oct 2017 10:29

Australians with egg all over their faces -
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/hacker-codenamed-in-honour-of-alf-from-home-and-away-stole-sensitive-data-about-australian-military-projects-20171011-gyz1hb.html

Commercially sensitive information on the $14 billion Joint Strike Fighter program, Australia's next fleet of spy planes and several of its naval warships have been stolen by hackers who breached a Department of Defence contractor, a government official has revealed.

A manager at the Australian Signals Directorate – the government's main national security cyber spies – told a conference in Sydney on Wednesday that the hackers stole 30 gigabytes of data including on the Defence projects.
The small aerospace engineering firm of about 50 employees, which had contracts on a number of Defence projects, had just one IT staff member who had been in the job nine months, which Mr Clarke described as "sloppy".

"There's no way this one IT person could have done everything perfectly across the whole domain."

The firm had used default logins and passwords "admin" and "guest".

Good grief ....
"The president is one large S.T.D., and if you’re in close proximity you’re going to get tainted by it.”
User avatar Robert5091

11 Oct 2017 19:26

In the secluded world of the IMF, a big change:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/11/imf-higher-taxes-rich-inequality-jeremy-corbyn-labour-donald-trump

This is genuinely a massive development. Not that the IMF is a home of impeccable economic analysis by any means, but it's a large shift. Since the late 70s early 80s the institution has been the key driving force of the neoliberal consensus of Reagan and Thatcher around the world, and has overseen some improvements in countries but also huge mistakes. Raising taxes goes against all that those economists believed in, and demostrates a shift in thinking. It also makes the IMF go against its parent state, the USA, whose president is proposing a low tax plan, which never happens as the IMF normally follows DC policy. Is it really possible that Trump has managed to piss off their puppet institution, or has the IMF mutated and formed a free thinking mind of its own?
Brullnux

12 Oct 2017 08:49

^perhaps an important IMF change, but hardly groundbreaking...

until and unless the international monetary fund changes its outdated governance model, the unfair dominance of a single super-state will continue serving as as a POLITICAL tool of the said state. just like its military dominance or the dollar status of a reserve currency.

hardly fair to the rest of the world, including the european economies save such economic giants like chine and india.

when the governance changes currently blocked by the us to extend its unfair advantage go through, only then it would be groundbreaking. my opinion.
User avatar python
Veteran

12 Oct 2017 13:13

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5027532,00.html

US reported to withdraw from UN cultural organization UNESCO citing its anti-Israeli bias, as reflected by recent decisions naming Hebron Old City 'Palestinian World Heritage Site'; decision also serves as cost-saving measure for US; Sect. of State Tillerson seeks to pay American debt to organization, then withdraw.

The US economy is now saved! :rolleyes:
User avatar Robert5091

12 Oct 2017 14:17

Well Trump was no change, it seems, back-pedalling on all his promises. I've always had doubts but for sure he was a better candidate than Hillary and Hillary would've withdrawn from Unesco as well, for the same reason. This being said, Unesco is crap.
Echoes

Re:

12 Oct 2017 18:35

python wrote:^perhaps an important IMF change, but hardly groundbreaking...

until and unless the international monetary fund changes its outdated governance model, the unfair dominance of a single super-state will continue serving as as a POLITICAL tool of the said state. just like its military dominance or the dollar status of a reserve currency.

hardly fair to the rest of the world, including the european economies save such economic giants like chine and india.

when the governance changes currently blocked by the us to extend its unfair advantage go through, only then it would be groundbreaking. my opinion.

I completely agree, but I think considering everything you've written then this change is as close to revolutionary as you can feasibly expect from the imf. Way more for the stance against the USA than for anything else. It isn't supposed to do that.

Maybe it's the first step to an actual change of governance.
Brullnux

Re:

12 Oct 2017 20:51

Echoes wrote:Well Trump was no change, it seems, back-pedalling on all his promises. I've always had doubts but for sure he was a better candidate than Hillary and Hillary would've withdrawn from Unesco as well, for the same reason. This being said, Unesco is crap.

The Israelis leave Unesco too http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41598991

The decision follows a string of Unesco decisions that have drawn criticism from the US and Israel.

In 2011 the US cut its funding to the agency in protest at its decision to grant full membership to the Palestinians.

And last year, Israel suspended co-operation with Unesco after the agency adopted a controversial resolution which made no reference to Jewish ties to a key holy site in Jerusalem.

The resolution also criticised Israel's activities at holy places in Jerusalem and the occupied West Bank.

Then earlier this year, Mr Netanyahu condemned Unesco for declaring the Old City of Hebron in the West Bank a Palestinian World Heritage site.

He accused Unesco of ignoring Judaism's ancient connection to the city, which includes the crypt where its matriarchs and patriarchs are buried.
User avatar Robert5091

16 Oct 2017 13:04

...so, as i type we are witnessing 2 giant failures of one of the crucial democratic principles called referendum.

thankfully, it is still peaceful in in catalonia. the central govt demand for a clarification has passed today w/o an answer from the catalonia leaders. we'll have to see what's next. just for a note, while i am perfectly neutral on the catalonia events, i am of the opinion their referendum was illegitimate if measured by the democratic and transparent principles.

not so in the iraqi kurdistan. there, 3/4 of the population voted overwhelmingly for the independence. yet, as of this morning there are reports of the kurdish-iraqi clashes around kirkuk...
User avatar python
Veteran

21 Oct 2017 09:16

Over 150K people, mostly kurds, have fled the Kirkuk area into Erbil or Suleymania in the last few days.
User avatar jsem94

21 Oct 2017 14:29

Last edited by Brullnux on 21 Oct 2017 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
Brullnux

21 Oct 2017 16:59

^^both of your links are identical about mugabe.

on a different note, i am quite surprised, given how well the kurds are armed and having a reputation for being formidable soldiers, how easy it was for the iraqi govt to seize the entire kirkuk... :rolleyes:

just does not jive with the loud independence/sovereignty statements nor with the crucial economic significance kirkuk plays in the kurdish economy (they lost 40% something of oil plus other infrastructure....) neither the iraqi army, at least in its present condition barely overcoming several hundred of isis fighters around mosul, is anything to fear much.

there is only one explanation, imo, the kurds were probably given an ultimatum by the outside players (iran, turkey) would they have resorted to arms.. which is a big loss for the zionist state - the only overt state supporter of the kurdish separation from iraq...i am lost as to what is/was the REAL trump position as the clown keeps twitting...
User avatar python
Veteran

Re:

21 Oct 2017 19:00

python wrote:^^both of your links are identical about mugabe.

on a different note, i am quite surprised, given how well the kurds are armed and having a reputation for being formidable soldiers, how easy it was for the iraqi govt to seize the entire kirkuk... :rolleyes:

just does not jive with the loud independence/sovereignty statements nor with the crucial economic significance kirkuk plays in the kurdish economy (they lost 40% something of oil plus other infrastructure....) neither the iraqi army, at least in its present condition barely overcoming several hundred of isis fighters around mosul, is anything to fear much.

there is only one explanation, imo, the kurds were probably given an ultimatum by the outside players (iran, turkey) would they have resorted to arms.. which is a big loss for the zionist state - the only overt state supporter of the kurdish separation from iraq...i am lost as to what is/was the REAL trump position as the clown keeps twitting...

crap you're right. I'll fix that.

Do you reckon Iran would benefit with a pact with the Kurds to help form a Kurdistan (I know part of kurdistan would be slightly in Iran, but it's a very small part that can be easily compromised)? How are iranian-turkish relations doing right now? Better or still icy?
Brullnux

Re: Re:

22 Oct 2017 11:12

Brullnux wrote:
python wrote:^^both of your links are identical about mugabe.

crap you're right. I'll fix that.

Do you reckon Iran would benefit with a pact with the Kurds to help form a Kurdistan (I know part of kurdistan would be slightly in Iran, but it's a very small part that can be easily compromised)? How are iranian-turkish relations doing right now? Better or still icy?

good questions !

while i try to read, even study everything informative about the region (the mideast), my knowledge is just another opinion. no more.

re. the 1st question, it would seem that everything iran had done to date wrt to kurds is the opposite of seeking a kurdish statehood. their reasons are similar to those of turkey - that is, the fear of creating an anti iran entity on their border, which is the main reason israel supports the kurdish state. another big reason is that iran is clearly betting on increasing their influence on the iraqi Shiite govt (and thus strengthening the anti-saud cards) instead of making amends with a rebellious kurds...that said, as far as i recall some good background articles, the iranian kurds (of the 4 kurdish groups - the syrian, iraqi, turkish, and iranian) were the least militant or rebellious against the host nation. there was and still is a relative calm btwn the kurds and the irranians, at least compared to turkey, syria and iraq. it is generally under reported in the west that iran is a multi ethnic state with a relatively moderate, if not tolerant policy towards the minorities ...

regarding your second question, iran and turkey are not only on the mend right now, but appear enjoying the anti american angle of the rapprochement. the coagulating points - briefly - are about their common positions on the kurdish independence, rejection of the saudi qatar sanctions and, MUCH MORE SIGNIFICANT, their work as cosponsors of the syrian peace negotiations along with russia. below are some informative analytical links on the subject

ANALYSIS: Turkey seeks Iran 'alliance' against Kurds as US pull wanes
http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/analysis-iran-turkey-alliance-targets-kurd-threat-us-pull-wanes-2095294035
Erdogan: Turkey and Iran discussing joint action against Kurds
http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/erdogan-says-turkey-and-iran-discussing-joint-action-against-kurdish-militants-1573023962
User avatar python
Veteran

Re: World Politics

24 Oct 2017 10:31

On 16 October, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation aired an interview with Hillary Clinton: one of many to promote her score-settling book about why she was not elected President of the United States.

Wading through the Clinton book, What Happened, is an unpleasant experience, like a stomach upset. Smears and tears. Threats and enemies. “They” (voters) were brainwashed and herded against her by the odious Donald Trump in cahoots with sinister Slavs sent from the great darkness known as Russia, assisted by an Australian “nihilist”, Julian Assange.

In The New York Times, there was a striking photograph of a female reporter consoling Clinton, having just interviewed her. The lost leader was, above all, “absolutely a feminist”. The thousands of women’s lives this “feminist” destroyed while in government — Libya, Syria, Honduras — were of no interest.

In New York magazine, Rebecca Traister wrote that Clinton was finally “expressing some righteous anger”. It was even hard for her to smile: “so hard that the muscles in her face ache”. Surely, she concluded, “if we allowed women’s resentments the same bearing we allow men’s grudges, America would be forced to reckon with the fact that all these angry women might just have a point”.

Drivel such as this, trivialising women’s struggles, marks the media hagiographies of Hillary Clinton. Her political extremism and warmongering are of no consequence. Her problem, wrote Traister, was a “damaging infatuation with the email story”. The truth, in other words.

The leaked emails of Clinton’s campaign manager, John Podesta, revealed a direct connection between Clinton and the foundation and funding of organised jihadism in the Middle East and Islamic State (IS). The ultimate source of most Islamic terrorism, Saudi Arabia, was central to her career.

One email, in 2014, sent by Clinton to Podesta soon after she stepped down as US Secretary of State, discloses that Islamic State is funded by the governments of Saudi Arabia and Qatar. Clinton accepted huge donations from both governments for the Clinton Foundation.

As Secretary of State, she approved the world’s biggest ever arms sale to her benefactors in Saudi Arabia, worth more than $80 billion. Thanks to her, US arms sales to the world – for use in stricken countries like Yemen – doubled.

This was revealed by WikiLeaks and published by The New York Times. No one doubts the emails are authentic. The subsequent campaign to smear WikiLeaks and its editor-in-chief, Julian Assange, as “agents of Russia”, has grown into a spectacular fantasy known as “Russiagate”. The “plot” is said to have been signed off by Vladimir Putin himself. There is not a shred of evidence.

The ABC Australia interview with Clinton is an outstanding example of smear and censorship by omission. I would say it is a model.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/10/20/clinton-assange-and-the-war-on-truth/
Last edited by blutto on 24 Oct 2017 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar blutto
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General