Register

World Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

17 May 2018 09:07

Seems there is an internal conflict in Iran over the nuclear deal -

Iran split over talks with Europe to save nuclear deal

https://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2018/05/iran-nuclear-deal-jcpoa-europe-talks-velayati-zarif-mogherin.html
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

17 May 2018 09:13

That's hardly news, hard-line Iranians have wanted out since before it was signed.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

17 May 2018 17:10

just heard on deutche welle news that europe is imposing a blocking statute on the euro companies that bans them complying with the us sanctions...i have a hard time understanding the practical implications of the statement, if any, but i like the tone of the european unity, if only a symbolic gesture.

will stay tuned...
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

Re:

17 May 2018 19:22

Robert5091 wrote:This is not good news -
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-44150762
The Ebola outbreak in Congo has spread from the countryside into a city, prompting fears that the disease will be increasingly difficult to control.

Health Minister Oly Ilunga Kalenga confirmed a case in Mbandaka, a city of a million people about 130km (80 miles) from the area where the first cases were confirmed earlier this month.

The city is a major transportation hub with routes to the capital Kinshasa.

Forty-two people have now been infected and 23 people are known to have died.
The really interesting thing will be whether the vaccine developed and tested after the last outbreak will protect against this new viral strain. Also, Trump had some of his more asinine policy suggestions about Ebola when he was a private citizen. I can't wait to see what he does now that he is in the oval office.

My take is that this looks like a hotter strain than the last one, so is more likely to burn itself out and not be a long term issue even if the vaccine is ineffective.
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore

Re:

17 May 2018 19:36

aphronesis wrote:https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/05/17/an-affront-to-history-giro-ditalias-sport-washing-of-israeli-apartheid/

If the eventual winner of this Giro would criticize the organisation, that'd send a very strong signal. I'm hoping for the impossible I guess.
User avatar Jagartrott

Re: Re:

18 May 2018 03:24

Jagartrott wrote:
aphronesis wrote:https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/05/17/an-affront-to-history-giro-ditalias-sport-washing-of-israeli-apartheid/

If the eventual winner of this Giro would criticize the organisation, that'd send a very strong signal. I'm hoping for the impossible I guess.

Seems unlikely.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v40/n10/henry-siegman/the-two-state-solution-an-autopsy-?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4010+US%2FAUS&utm_content=usca_nonsubs_issue
aphronesis
Veteran

Re: Re:

18 May 2018 10:48

Jagartrott wrote:

It might help, but I doubt it will happen and I'm not sure anyone would take any notice.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

18 May 2018 12:36

somewhat surprising, the dw reports that merkel undertook an unplanned flyer to meet vlad today. they are said to be meeting right now without any interpreters or support personnel (both speak each others tongue fluently). there should be a press-conference in a couple of hours to be aired live by dw...

what's the urgency ? we'll find out soon enough, but it seems saving the iranian nuclear deal would be one of the priorities. they must be are looking for common position to stand to the us sanctions. i dont know how russia, besides the formal declarations of support, can alleviate the us ultimatums to the eu. then, perhaps, they are getting together to deflect another american ultimatum - of sanctioning the north gas pipeline that germany had staunchly supported so far ?? theie economics minister did not mince words this morning when defending the pipeline...

i hope, but seriously doubt, that germany is capable of an assertive, independent foreign policy YET, unless, of course, it is about browbeating little fish like greece :(
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

20 May 2018 06:57

it is funny how vane and worthless the western msm could be...at the top of the hour just tuned in to france24 for a load of hot news...and saw the royal wedding i could care less YESTERDAY, much less TODAY. disappointed, I turned to DW...same royal crap but in german.

i'd normally then turn to aljazeera, but decided to check the chinese cgtn.

finally the REAL BIG NEWS - china and the us seem to have agreed to avoid a trade war after 2 days of intense negotiations. no details, just general statements on either side. included were the chinese plea to protect the intellectual property.

i say, my barely relevant experiences in chinatown make me wish you good luck, mr. trump.
User avatar python
Veteran

21 May 2018 06:53

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5266074,00.html
Iran's Mohammad Javad Zarif says European political support to preserve 2015 nuclear accord is 'not sufficient' after US pulls out of deal; EU leaders say they want to preserve deal since the 'agreement works'; new credit lines for Tehran, increased energy cooperation and implementing EU laws to block European companies from caving in to US sanctions are considered by EU to keep Tehran in nuclear accord.

Miguel Arias Canete, European commissioner for energy and climate, said Tehran wanted the 28-nation bloc to act fast to preserve its oil trade with Iran, and to consider making direct euro-denominated payments for Iranian oil to Iran's central bank, bypassing the US financial system.
"The contradictions in the words of European authorities are suspicious. We hope that our government officials will be able to secure the necessary guarantees in their negotiations, as one cannot rely on those who vacillate and speak contradictory words," IRNA quoted Ali Akbar Velayati as saying.

The German newspaper Welt am Sonntag cited an unnamed senior EU official as saying there were also discussions about a possible new pact between Iran and world powers that would cover the same ground as the 2015 deal but with some additions to appease the United States.

These could include provisions to address US concerns over Iran's ballistic missile program and Tehran's support of armed groups in the Middle East, the source said.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

21 May 2018 15:59

I see the US has vowed to learn no lessons from Carthage, Versailles or UNSC resolution 661...
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re:

21 May 2018 18:40

King Boonen wrote:I see the US has vowed to learn no lessons from Carthage, Versailles or UNSC resolution 661...

according to the sister politics thread, 'the us' should be replaced with 'trump' and trump only (of course considering an occasional dissident voice)..still, i'd use your term, though, under trump the us foreign policy reached a new level of arrogance, hypocrisy and rudeness.

regarding the precedents, particularly the one i hilited, if i follow, they may not apply. at least in a direct parallel way.

mainly owning to the fact that very domestically fractured govts comprising the decision-making eu states struggling to achieve a consensus within a very fractured eu org. that is, a de facto 28-head euro monster CANT arrive at a workable, sovereign - much less biting and effective - answer to the us diktat. the still formal allies like germany and france are too invested in the consensus decision making (both domestically and within the eu) to effectively oppose the us aggression.

i have a sense that if NOT trump personally, than his smartest advisers, have THE calculus i described in mind :sad:

all the unfair us advantages like the us dollar status, the leadership within the imf/world bank, the un host nation and - much more significant - military dominance (including the occupation of some major nations like germany and japan) are the trump cards. pun not intended.

some major ball, which aren't available by the very gender of the eu main actors, are needed. no Margarets nor de gaulls are visible in europe. forget about a dude like Churchill.
User avatar python
Veteran

22 May 2018 04:16

Pompeo has announced twelve new demands of Iran if it wants to avoid "the strongest sanctions in history" (I know who cooked up that phrase). Only three or four of the demands have to do with the nuclear program, e.g., stop enrichment, and ballistic missile program. Most of the other demands involve military operations (e.g., withdraw all forces currently in Syria; end all support for terrorists). Also, release all U.S. and other foreign citizens currently held.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/05/mike-pompeo-speech-12-demands-iran-180521151737787.html
Merckx index

22 May 2018 10:49

..feels like the trump-kim meeting wont happen. basis ? just a got feeling after reading about the us unilateral and militant demands. if the meeting is not halfway, my sense - there is no use in expecting a fool facing you, even if he is the head of a hermit state.
User avatar python
Veteran

22 May 2018 13:11

I don't think the summit will happen. Just a hunch.... but I got a feeling after seeing it blasted all over the news yesterday that a meeting was becoming less likely.

You are not going to a meeting like this to negotiate. If there is no tangible deal agreed to before the meeting, there is no meeting. Even Trump's people know that (I think).
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore

Re:

22 May 2018 13:35

djpbaltimore wrote:I don't think the summit will happen. Just a hunch.... but I got a feeling after seeing it blasted all over the news yesterday that a meeting was becoming less likely.

You are not going to a meeting like this to negotiate. If there is no tangible deal agreed to before the meeting, there is no meeting. Even Trump's people know that (I think).

But not the dummass in the WH..he wants to be seen as the 'strong man'(he even said he admires Kim during the campaign), Duerte, Mao, other fascists and racists...it's a photo op along with his silly demands against Iran..Kim sees that and thinks Libya and Iran..and should tell donnie to gofookhimself.

Trump also reassured Kim Jong Un the North Korean leader would remain in power if he abandons his nuclear weapons program, but warned Kim that North Korea could be "decimated" if he refuses to strike a deal with the US.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/963452/North-Korea-latest-donald-trump-iran-nuclear-deal-south-korea-expert-negotiator

brilliant negotiator..not really
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

24 May 2018 07:19

interesting how a news, when delivered by a western source (even the one i still tune to -the reuters in this case) can NOT just spin but completely miss or distort the very substance of an important news...

the case in point is the recent iraqi elections and the possible huge implications..

granted, i no longer follow iraq as closely as few years back or as i still follow syria, meaning i just read headlines of my trusted rss w/o looking for alternatives. so what stuck in my mind was a reuters article, titled that iran was the biggest loser in the iraqi election

that did not jive all that well with my memory.. the winner in 2018, the sadr movement, is headed by a fiery shiah cleric who was at the head of the iraqi resistance to american invasion and occupation. moreover, iran was at the time blamed by the us for training, arming and inspiring the sadr anti-american militia. so, per reuters, sadr turned on to iran - the hand that supposedly fed him ???

to make the long story short, i just listened to an interview with a sadr politician on trt. he destroyed the reuters narrative.

indeed he said, his faction is looking to limit ALL foreign meddling in the iraqi affairs. i guess, technically it implies iran, though he did not mention iran specifically. BUT he went into an emotional and long denunciation of illegal american occupation of iraq and how his faction is going to put an end to it. he did EXCLUDE using force or the demand for the immediate american expulsion.

now i know to trust the reuters headlines even less than i already do...
User avatar python
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General