Register

World Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

05 May 2018 17:55

Those Asian migrants can go home. The Palestians can't. Palestinian Kids are regularly shot for throwing stones. Unarmed protesters some times end up dead protesting. Or they suffer life long debilities like amputation or brain damage.

Israeli soldiers regularly get away with murder. Even with video evidence, the sentences are usually counted in months.

Settlers in the west bank can harass Palestians at will. The IDF will protect them. And Israel has created the biggest open air prison in the world. Fishermen going a few miles of shore tend to get shot by the Israeli Navy.

The UAE is not in the same league as Israel.
User avatar ToreBear

Re:

05 May 2018 18:09

ToreBear wrote:Those Asian migrants can go home. The Palestians can't. Palestinian Kids are regularly shot for throwing stones. Unarmed protesters some times end up dead protesting. Or they suffer life long debilities like amputation or brain damage.

Israeli soldiers regularly get away with murder. Even with video evidence, the sentences are usually counted in months.

Settlers in the west bank can harass Palestians at will. The IDF will protect them. And Israel has created the biggest open air prison in the world. Fishermen going a few miles of shore tend to get shot by the Israeli Navy.

It's SOP for any country hosting the Giro to promote itself while it is hosting the Giro. Why would you expect Israel NOT to do it?
Elagabalus

Re: Re:

05 May 2018 18:28

Elagabalus wrote:
ToreBear wrote:Those Asian migrants can go home. The Palestians can't. Palestinian Kids are regularly shot for throwing stones. Unarmed protesters some times end up dead protesting. Or they suffer life long debilities like amputation or brain damage.

It's SOP for any country hosting the Giro to promote itself while it is hosting the Giro. Why would you expect Israel NOT to do it?

:confused: I don't.
User avatar ToreBear

Re:

06 May 2018 09:40

I don't think it's particularly useful to have a pissing contest between UAE and Israel to determine who is the worst, so I'll stop after this post, but just to be clear;

In the Kafala system for migrant workers, used by many Gulf States, including UAE and Bahrain, the employer is responsible for the workers visa and legal status. They often take away their passports. So, actually, no, the migrant workers often can't leave if they want to. That's why people compare it to slavery.

About protesters, did you follow any news during the Arabic spring? In UAE and Bahrain they violently oppress protests as well, political dissidents mysteriously disappear and there is a lot of (video) evidence of political prisoners getting brutally tortured.

Apart from the colonization, UAE is worse on virtually every account than Israel. And while they might not have colonized it, what the Saudi-led coalition, which includes UAE (and Bahrain) is currently doing in Yemen really isn't any better than what Israel is doing in Palestine. In fact, as far as I can see, Yemen is currently in a worse state than Palestine. They have put up a blockade around Yemen and seem to deliberately exacerbate the famine. And mind you, Yemen was already the poorest country in the Middle East before that. Currently something like ~15 million people are threatened by famine, and the last two years have seen the world's largest cholera outbreak, with probably more than a million people currently suffering from cholera. Oh, and UAE specifically has been reported to have secret prisons in UAE where POWs are tortured to death.

You know, I did a bit of research to get my facts straight while writing about UAE, specifically regarding the conflict in Yemen, and I might have changed my mind a bit. I actually agree with you that UAE isn't in the same league as Israel. UAE is probably quite a bit worse.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

Re:

06 May 2018 12:04

macbindle wrote:It's about legitimising Israel. Have a major Euro sporting event there...directs attention away from Israeli snipers blowing away unarmed people protesting against the ethnic cleansing that has taken.place and continues so to do.

Hey, they have rocks...I agree, the fascist state of Israel gets away with murder everyday in the name of 'survival'..

BUT donnie likes bibi, a racist loving a racist, what a surprise.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

07 May 2018 12:48

Crankin' it up a notch ...
https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/israel-iran-syria-russia/2018/05/06/id/858669/
Israeli defense officials have warned that Iran is planning to order its proxies to fire missiles at northern Israel in retaliation for recent airstrikes in Syria attributed to Israel that killed Iranian personnel, The Times of Israel reported on Sunday.

All of Israel's nightly news broadcasts said that military and intelligence agencies are aware of Iranian preparations to have Hezbollah or other Shiite terrorist groups launch guided missiles at targets in Israel.

Tehran is apparently interested in striking military targets, and not civilian ones, in the belief that this type of retaliation will avoid full-fledged war with Israel.

Israel is reportedly trying to prevent such an attack and has warned that it will hit all Iranian targets in Syria if Tehran does strike at Israeli territory.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is scheduled to travel to Moscow on Wednesday in an effort to have Russia put pressure on Iran to avoid such an escalation.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

07 May 2018 15:06

Dang, Maaaaaarten, you got the last word. If you don't like torture you might wanna read about AL Khiam prison.
Run by SLA IIRC under guidance of Israeli military intelligence. The Norwegian UN battalion was in that area for about 20 years, and they saw Israeli officers coming and going, and they could also hear the screams of prisoners being electrocuted.

When the the Israelis withdrew from Lebanon they took the interrogators with them.

Oh wait, no I got the last word. Okay call it a note. :lol:
User avatar ToreBear

07 May 2018 15:12

Looks like the Israelis are in a bit of a pickle regarding Iran being in Syria. I'm not sure the Russians have that much sway, or will put that much pressure on Iran unless Israel makes it worth it to them.

Perhaps if they got something in return they might do something. Perhaps they have some intel on the US the Russians want or something. That could work.
User avatar ToreBear

08 May 2018 10:55

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-armenia-politics-prime-minister/armenia-protest-leader-pashinyan-elected-as-prime-minister-idUSKBN1I90UD?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Reuters%2FworldNews+%28Reuters+World+News%29

not a front-running news, but imo very educational and pregnant...

armenia is a small former soviet republic that just managed to change its govt via street protests. but unlike say ukraine 4 yo, w/o spilling anyone's blood...the street opposition leader who will now become a p.m., if i am informed accurately, 1st ran on a 'pro-european', anti-russia platform to later accommodate its northern neighbor and a de facto security guarantor. armenia hosts a free-of-charge russian military base and is still in a factual state of war with another former soviet state azerbaijan. both are armed by russia and both keep decent relations with russia. the azeris though, i understand, are much closer to turkey, if not their tool...

i'd be curious if the west played any clandestine role in the armenian revolution and how, if at all, the big neighbours of armenia countered it...
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

08 May 2018 18:16

Interesting false flag operation by Russians to disguise themselves as ISIS in order to threaten US military wives.
“We know everything about you, your husband and your children,” the Facebook message continued, claiming that the hackers operating under the flag of Islamic State militants had penetrated her computer and her phone. “We’re much closer than you can even imagine.”
Proof that the military wives were targeted by Russian hackers is laid out in a digital hit list provided to the AP by the cybersecurity company Secureworks last year. The AP has previously used the list of 4,700 Gmail addresses to outline the group’s espionage campaign against journalists , defense contractors and U.S. officials . More recent AP research has found that Fancy Bear, which Secureworks dubs “Iron Twilight,” was actively trying to break into the military wives’ mailboxes around the time that CyberCaliphate struck.
The AP has found no link between CyberCaliphate and the St. Petersburg trolls, but their aims appeared to be the same: keep tension at a boil and radical Islam in the headlines.

https://apnews.com/4d174e45ef5843a0ba82e804f080988f
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore

09 May 2018 04:21

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5255112,00.html
Following IDF reports of 'irregular Iranian movements' in Syria, orders to open bomb shelters in Israel's north, loud explosions reported south of Damascus; senior Syrian army official says Israel carried out attack coordinated with US withdrawal from Iran nuclear deal; Syrian news agency: 'Missile defenses intercepted 2 Israeli missiles'; 9 militiamen reported killed.

The possible attack came after the IDF instructed to open public bomb shelters in the Golan Heights amid Israeli reports of "irregular Iranian movements" in Syria and the ongoing fear of an Iranian strike at Israel in retaliation for the US withdrawal from the nuclear deal and the airstrike on the T-4 Airbase near Homs last month.

The Israelis bomb a country and then are worried about retaliation? Geezus!

It was reported Monday in Arab media outlets that eight soldiers from the Syrian army's aerial defense force were killed in a mysterious explosion that took place Sunday on the Damascus-Suwayda road.

Engineers and soldiers from said battalion, tasked with operating the S-200 aerial defense system and responsible for downing an Israeli F-16 two months ago, were riding in a transport vehicle when the explosion occurred.

Syrian sources said eight men were killed, and were quick to finger Israel in blame. It was also reported some of the vehicle's passengers actually took part in the downing of the Israeli plane over the Golan.

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

10 May 2018 04:44

Iranian forces (or backed forces), not surprisingly, retaliate -

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-44063022
Israel's military says Iranian forces have fired rockets at its positions in the occupied Golan Heights.

It said around 20 rockets were fired by Iran's Revolutionary Guard early on Thursday and some were intercepted, adding that there were no casualties.

Earlier this week, Israel said it had noted "irregular activity" by Iranian forces in the region.

It placed its troops in the Golan Heights on high alert and urged civilians to take shelter.

The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) later said it had targeted dozens of Iranian facilities with air strikes in retaliation for the attack.

It said weapons stores, missile launchers and intelligence facilities were all targeted in the wave of strikes overnight.

Syria's state news agency Sana said Israeli missiles had been shot down south of Homs, but reported that a weapons depot and a radar installation had been hit.

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5255691,00.html
Even if Iran had no intention of launching missiles at Israel on Tuesday, the alleged Israeli strike came along and conveyed the following message to the Iranians: You raised the likelihood of an attack on Israel, so we’re raising the threat level, despite the tensions.

Shortly after US President Donald Trump’s declaration, explosions were reported by Syrian sources in the area of Damascus, with Arab media outlets pointing a finger at Israel.

Senior Israeli defense officials have reached the conclusion that Trump’s statement will have little influence, if any, on the attack being planned by the Iranians on the northern border. What happens in the north is reality, and what happens in the Oval Office is theater. President Trump is addicted to the drama itself. He isn’t very interested in what happens after the show, which is why we have no idea which sanctions he plans to renew.

User avatar Robert5091

10 May 2018 08:38

i am trying to asses how the european leaders are going to back up their rhetoric re. the iran nuclear deal...

america issued a de facto ultimatum to those european companies that already concluded multi-billion deals with iran. 10s of billions are at stake...from contracts for airbus to purchases of iranian oil. are the europeans going to fold over AGAIN to the arrogant economic blackmail ?

he hollow govt verbalism has to be at some point backed up by the real and tangible defense of europe's ECONOMIC and trade interests. will they finally stand up or, as usual, prostrate on their knees ? i'm trying to get my hands on any good research in the subject...
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

10 May 2018 08:43

Europe as a whole are likely speaking to the US to strike a deal where European companies are exempt from any US sanctions as long as BARJAM remains in place. This would allow Trump his "win" of pulling out of the deal, mitigate any effect on European companies and still hold Iran to the deal. The only people hurt by the deal would be US companies.

Whether the US will agree to that I don't know.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

10 May 2018 09:33

The first casualty in war is ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/iranian-forces-fire-rockets-at-israeli-military-in-first-direct-attack-ever-israeli-army-says/2018/05/09/62e3a526-52f7-11e8-a6d4-ca1d035642ce_story.html
Heavy military jet activity, explosions and air-defense fire could be heard throughout the night in the area. An Israeli military spokesman said the rockets were fired by Iran’s Quds Force, a special forces unit affiliated with Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps, marking the first time Iranian forces have ever fired directly on Israeli troops.

The Israeli military said several of the rockets had been intercepted by Israel’s missile defense system, and sparks could be seen as they broke up in the sky.

No one was injured on the Israeli side, the military said.

The Syrian state news agency, however, reported that it was Israel that had fired on targets near the town of Quneitra, located just east of the Golan Heights. Syrian air defenses had responded, it said. It later reported a “new wave” of attacks.

More info -what's going on with Russia & their air-defence systems?
https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5256257,00.html
IDF Spokesperson Brigadier-General Ronen Manelis said...the IDF attacked more than 50 Iranian targets in what Manelis defined as "one of the greatest operations of the Israel Air Force in the past decade."

According to Manelis, in addition to dozens of Quds Force targets in Syria, the IAF also attacked logistic headquarters, a military camp and intelligence posts.

"We attacked the vehicle that launched the rockets at Israel. All the targets were destroyed and all our planes return to Israel safely despite significant antiaircraft barrages fired by the Syrian army. We also struck five batteries of the Syrian antiaircraft system, which fired dozens of missiles at our planes," the IDF spokesperson said.

We informed the Russians about this activity in advance.

User avatar Robert5091

10 May 2018 10:11

^^so far, the absolute majority of the 'news' re the israel-iran military activity is based on the israel official statements. i have even less trust in them than in the official syrian or iranian sources...always arrogant boasting even if part true. i also doubt that bibi, as the same media reported, got a full approval from vlad.

regarding the european response to the us economic blackmail (both wrt to new iranian sanctions and the earlier tariffs on iron and aluminum), it is true that europe is trying to negotiate its way out, but having seen the american reaction so far - which is to give the partners a postponement window - while holding a loaded gun to their head. sooner or later, such a tactic has to be faced with firmer retaliatory actions b/c the us is getting away with its political and trade ultimatums. swallowing it will only cause more blackmail.

it is fair for the us to pass any domestic law re the iran sanctions, but expecting the rest of the world complying with the american law - 'or else' - is beyond arrogant.

the typical american tools of 'compelling' are the usual threats to foreign banks and businesses that exploit the dolar's central role in world trading or the bans on any american parts if an item of trade (say, for example, airbus) contains sub-systems patented by or manufactured in america. given the global penetration of business, it is impossible to find ANY car or airplane that's 100% dependent on one supplier...

what the europeans need to get the f-king balls and start doing is to apply the same logic to american companies dependent on european markets or suppliers. and, most importantly, to give full state protection to those companies likely hurt by the dollar operations restrictions. a limited trade war, if it was what trump was looking for, has to be thrown back at him. and it is not all that scary, b/c such HUGE markets as chinese, indian, russian etc are suffering the same trade arrogance and are likely to cooperate with europe instead of the bullies from americam...just thinking aloud.
User avatar python
Veteran

10 May 2018 11:49

I expect the bargaining to follow the lines that the recent steel and aluminium bargaining has followed. Some deal will be thrashed out that both sides can claim is a victory and pretty much nothing changes. It puts the UK in a difficult position as when Brexit happens the UK may lose the protection of being part of a larger market group. The UK could attempt to use this as an advantage, but the UK Governments' statements about continuing BARJAM would make that difficult.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

11 May 2018 04:40

We had axis of evil, now we have tentacles of evil ...

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5257004,00.html
PM Netanyahu: Iran has crossed a red line, its tentacles of evil in Syria will be severed
As Cabinet ministers convene to discuss Iranian rocket strike, Israeli retaliation, PM issues first comments, says, 'We are in protracted campaign, will not allow Iran to militarily entrench in Syria'; 'Anyone preparing to attack us, we'll hit them first,' Netanyahu warns.

Which sort of confirms this -
https://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Iran-News/Iranian-MP-denies-Iran-has-bases-in-Syria-calls-Israeli-claims-fake-556073
The IDF announced Thursday morning that 20 rockets were first fired towards Israeli territory from Syria, and that Israel attacked 50 Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps targets in response.

"This claim is entirely false," said Jamali Nobandegani of the IDF's statement. "Everyone knows that the Zionist Regime has always attacked first," he said, referring to Israel. "Even before the conflict over ISIS in the region, Israel bombed Syria and attacked the Iraqi atomic weapons program," in a statement to Iran's Islamic Consultative Assembly News Agency.

As for Putin/Russia -
https://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Putin-stops-neither-Iran-nor-Israel-in-Syria-556151
... what Moscow does obviously tell both sides is not to harm Russian interests or assets. The primary Russian asset in Syria is President Bashar Assad, in whose regime Moscow has invested millions of rubles and for whom Russian soldiers have been killed.
Other assets include the Russian naval base at Tartus and the air base at Latakia.

Russia enjoys good relations with Iran, just as it enjoys good relations with Israel. Putin meets periodically with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, just as he meets with Netanyahu, though perhaps not as much. But they do meet, and they do talk. For instance, the two men last met in April and before that last November.

One can assume that just as Netanyahu from time to time entreats Putin to curb Iranian actions in Syria, Rouhani appeals to Putin to stop Israeli actions there also. Putin listens to both and does nothing against either side: He doesn’t curb Israel, and he doesn’t restrict Iran.

As long as Russia’s interests are not harmed, from Putin’s point of view, this particular fight is not Russia’s.

User avatar Robert5091

11 May 2018 11:11

What Assad & the Iranians think about this would be good to know!
https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5257573,00.html

Russia is not in talks with the Syrian government about supplying advanced S-300 ground-to-air missiles and does not think they are needed, the Izvestia daily cited a top Kremlin aide as saying on Friday, in an apparent U-turn by Moscow.

The comments, by Vladimir Kozhin, an aide to President Vladimir Putin who oversees Russian military assistance to other countries, follow a visit to Moscow by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu this week, who has been lobbying Putin hard not to transfer the missiles.
The missile system, originally developed by the Soviet military, but since modernized and available in several versions with significantly different capabilities, fires missiles from trucks and is designed to shoot down military aircraft and short and medium-range ballistic missiles.

Though since been superseded by the more modern S-400 system, the S-300s are still regarded as highly potent and outstrip anything that the Syrian government currently has.

User avatar Robert5091

12 May 2018 08:16

small steps in the RIGHT direction...

Europe moves to safeguard interests in Iran after U.S. pullout
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iran-nuclear/europe-moves-to-safeguard-interests-in-iran-after-u-s-pullout-idUSKBN1IC1JS?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Reuters%2FworldNews+%28Reuters+World+News%29

i have long been an advocate of europe's sovereignty particularly in the area of international relations. imo, it is existential for old europe.

under trump, the us dominance - which even under more internationalist presidents has long seized being about a fair and needed leadership - has turned into threats bordering on blackmail and ultimatums like 'if you dont do what we want, we are going to IMPOSE suffrage on you economic interests'. this is now applied to allies like germany and france. i dont care for good manners, but i always mind arrogance.

i doubt this round will go to europe yet, but hope sovereign nations learn and act like grownups. thinking a tad further, of course the eu disunity and (lets call spade a spade) the euro laziness and complacency are to blame.

perhaps the brexit followed by the exit of the eastern eauropeans that prefer building autocracies, should help the process. but that's too much to wish for in this life.
User avatar python
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General