Log in:  

Register

World Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

24 May 2018 12:22

An international team of investigators say they have uncovered hard evidence that a Russian military missile system fired the missile that shot down flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine in 2014.

The Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 was travelling from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur when it was shot down over the conflict zone in eastern Ukraine on 17 July 2014. All 298 people onboard were killed.

In 2016, investigators announced they had evidence that the BUK system involved in the incident had crossed the border into eastern Ukraine from Russia and returned after the plane had been shot down.


https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/24/mh17-downed-by-russian-military-missile-system-say-investigators

I didn't know this investigation was still going on after four years.

Those North Koreans are pretty sharp. They call Mike Pence a "political dummy". Pence said if NK leadership didn't do what it was told, it would end up like Kaddafi. Master diplomacy at work.
Merckx index
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,748
Joined: 27 Jul 2010 19:19

Re:

24 May 2018 14:48

Merckx index wrote:
An international team of investigators say they have uncovered hard evidence that a Russian military missile system fired the missile that shot down flight MH17 over eastern Ukraine in 2014.

The Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 was travelling from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur when it was shot down over the conflict zone in eastern Ukraine on 17 July 2014. All 298 people onboard were killed.

In 2016, investigators announced they had evidence that the BUK system involved in the incident had crossed the border into eastern Ukraine from Russia and returned after the plane had been shot down.


https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/24/mh17-downed-by-russian-military-missile-system-say-investigators

I didn't know this investigation was still going on after four years.

Those North Koreans are pretty sharp. They call Mike Pence a "political dummy". Pence said if NK leadership didn't do what it was told, it would end up like Kaddafi. Master diplomacy at work.


KIM right on the $..trump's 'team' filled with dummies, led by the head dummy...trump blames his cancellation on KIM..'decimated', 'Libya model', 'fire and fury', 'my nuke button bigger than your'...oh well, there goes that Nobel... :lol:
"It will be proper for [Pence] to know even a little bit about the current state of global affairs and to sense to a certain degree the trends in dialogue and the climate of détente," Choe said on Thursday, implying that the U.S. politician should have refrained from Libya comparisons following Bolton's episode.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,065
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

Re:

24 May 2018 15:44

22 May 2018 10:49...a day BEFORE either trump or norkors publicly hinted at the meeting difficulties...
]..feels like the trump-kim meeting wont happen. basis ? just a got feeling after reading about the us unilateral and militant demands. if the meeting is not halfway, my sense - there is no use in expecting a fool facing you, even if he is the head of a hermit state.

it was a simple common sense vibe...dont feel particularly proud of being right. a man refusing to stick his neck in a trump noose after he was hinted (at least 3 times !) he could be assassinated by his own folks if he does not give in..it was NOT a a rocket science.

the pundits may spin it many ways, but i view it as a chinese lesson in subtlety and a dis-invitation to the chief twitterer for bad manners...and perhaps for trying to 'punish' china in public.

very stupid indeed. now let's see how iran is going to humiliate trump in response to another set of idiotic demands.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,833
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

24 May 2018 20:46

macron is in russia now for...i understand 2-3 days.

Officially, for an economic forum but in reality to attempt to swing vlad to some 'european position' vis-a-vis the us/iran, ukraine, syria etc...he and vlad had just finished a presser. i watched it live on france 24.

trying to cut through the diplomatic fluff, which was curious, b/c the macron introduction was 4 times the vlads (40min vs 10), i had arrived at an opinion - it was a failure of the french diplomacy.

why ? b/c unlike the trump hugging and kissing during his recent visit to washington, vlad, judging by the answers to the reporters questions, told the lil napoleon to fork himself...if he came to extract concessions w/o being ready to meet in the middle.

again, it is my immediate impression... b/c instead of the signed or agreed upon hard deals they talked of diplomatic niceties, the state dinner menu and other utterly useless crap.

macron is a loser that europe should stay away from. not that there is ANYONE in europe more credible atm.

all good news for the trump hacks.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,833
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

29 May 2018 23:52

movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,385
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re:

30 May 2018 15:20

Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,371
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

30 May 2018 15:58

That is insane.
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,280
Joined: 09 Jun 2014 13:41
Location: Baltimore, MD

30 May 2018 20:02

from the kb link above:

Frank Gardner, BBC Security Correspondent:
There can be few more glaring examples of 'fake news' than the deliberate misreporting by a sovereign government of a prominent journalist's death.

THAT sovereign govt was ukraine. several independent western observers had warned that country was turning towards the particularly virulent form of the extreme right nationalism that makes orban in hungary look a kitten...

i often disagree with the british media take, but i give them credit for not embellishing in the bs as many other castrated euro journos.

another example was of course the post i left in the british politics thread recently
https://twitter.com/gullyburrows/status/1001359805624274945/video/1
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,833
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

Re: Re:

30 May 2018 22:16

movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,385
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

31 May 2018 00:01

may i ask, which today's standards do you refer to ? you dont seem to imply a high standard.... was the skripals case, which frankly had many striking similarities, a guiding standard ? was the killing of several other journos in ukraine or a plain persecution of the alternative a guiding post ?

you're right. as the brit journo i quoted said, it was unexpected for the ukranians, the nation aspiring to join the european family and values, it was a pure abuse of the world's professional news outlets and govts.

or you felt getting suckered, like all of us did, since the news was about the evil russians, it was an acceptable standard ? to your credit, as usual, you did not engage in the 'development' of the fake news..
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,833
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

Re:

31 May 2018 14:02

python wrote:may i ask, which today's standards do you refer to ? you dont seem to imply a high standard.... was the skripals case, which frankly had many striking similarities, a guiding standard ? was the killing of several other journos in ukraine or a plain persecution of the alternative a guiding post ?

you're right. as the brit journo i quoted said, it was unexpected for the ukranians, the nation aspiring to join the european family and values, it was a pure abuse of the world's professional news outlets and govts.

or you felt getting suckered, like all of us did, since the news was about the evil russians, it was an acceptable standard ? to your credit, as usual, you did not engage in the 'development' of the fake news..


So many journalists are killed in this part of the world in that I found the story completely plausible. The Ukrainians are not releasing much information about how this plot was intercepted. Some thought it was a stunt to embarrass the Russians before the World Cup but this could also play into the hands of the Russian propaganda machine as this event will obviously become a reference point in the future whenever Russia is accused of doing something it denies involvement in. But the fact that this journalist had to leave Russia and was also getting harassed in other countries convinces me that he had completely serious reasons for doing what he did. But whether the Ukrainian government is manipulating him for their own reasons who knows ?

As for the Skripal case, the rumors that Mr Skripal was not completely retired from the spy business was interesting. Also the fact that they both survived in relatively good health makes me wonder. If it was just a threat well there are easier ways to threaten someone but if it was a serious attempt to murder them well you wonder at the outcome in light of what happened to Litvinenko and others. As far as fake new goes we probably have the winner for 2018 already..........whether the arrest and plot was also fake is another matter.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,385
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

01 Jun 2018 07:03

...so the us metal tariff went into effect today.

only 3 countries were cowed by the us ultimatums, the rest seem still confused about the trump real arrogance and crudeness (that is, despite all the evidence, still hoping to negotiate exemptions) or counting on some fickle 'countermeasures' wisening the us aggression.

perusing the europeam media this morn, the reactions differ widely in their verbal strength. though a sense of indignation seems as common as almost never.

i am fascinated by the consequences b/c i am curious to learn if an apparent blackmail of smaller allies by a bigger one will eventually result in the cardinal geopolitical changes that were long overdue since the ussr went upside down.

not just the immediate economic us-europe relations are at test, but also the much more important (and wider) concerns of the european identity, independence, unity, sovereignty, defense and whether the new alliances in the east should replace the false one called THE WESTERN WORLD...
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,833
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

Re: World Politics

04 Jun 2018 06:49

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-ebola-congo-escape/fear-and-suspicion-hinder-congo-medics-in-ebola-battle-idUSKCN1IQ1R2?wpisrc=nl_todayworld&wpmm=1
Although Congo may sorely lack infrastructure, it has one of the most successful Ebola response mechanisms in the world, according to researchers and aid workers. Congo is where Ebola is most prevalent, and the current outbreak is the country’s ninth since 1976.
About half of the dozen Mbandaka residents The Washington Post interviewed along the city’s one fully paved road said Ebola was a conspiracy. Before the outbreak, foreigners were exceedingly rare in Mbandaka, and the recent influx of hundreds of aid workers has brought large amounts of cash into the city. That has caused many to believe that Westerners brought Ebola here to make money.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,695
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

06 Jun 2018 09:20

was reading my morning sample of news and, as every morning, the western media repeats one and the same premise for the us-norkor meeting - complete, total and irrecoverable abandonment of their nukes by the north.

not that i disagree with the premise, but something bothers me in such an arrangement - and i am 100% serious b/c i don't see the practicality - the complete one-sidedness. what would north korea get in return for voluntarily disarming ?

strangely or not (i am actually no longer surprised) the western media does not even entertain the very key question. if anyone came across a balanced review of the norkor conditions, pls send the link my way and i will edit this writing !!!

what i did read aplenty was that if kim does not 'denuclearize', he will end up like saddam and qaddafi...in plain english it means he will be killed. a promises NOT by some journo, BUT the official us big wigs like pompeo and mattis.

i said it before and i will say it again, only a complete idiot would agree to meet trump under such a condition...
yet, the meeting seems to go ahead as scheduled on the 12th - i was wrong apparently - and besides the unilateral scenario i have not seen anything.

will kim discuss with trump anything besides his own death ? he may dare, i reckon.

in that regard, i just thought of a great idea for him :idea:

since trump also wants to denuclearize iran, kim can promise to NOT ship his nukes to iran in exchange for staying alive :surprised:

an idea straight from the trump diplomatic art for idiots and thus he must seize on it me thinks..
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,833
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

07 Jun 2018 05:45

"Mr Diplomat" strikes again! Geezus!

https://www.axios.com/giuliani-says-kim-jong-un-begged-for-trump-summit-04f569ed-256d-4f3c-85fa-0bd2a9d75d00.html?utm_source=sidebar
Rudy Giuliani said today that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un got “on his hands and knees and begged" for President Trump to reverse his decision to cancel their summit, the Wall Street Journal's Felicia Schwartz reports.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,695
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re:

08 Jun 2018 23:11

Robert5091 wrote:"Mr Diplomat" strikes again! Geezus!

https://www.axios.com/giuliani-says-kim-jong-un-begged-for-trump-summit-04f569ed-256d-4f3c-85fa-0bd2a9d75d00.html?utm_source=sidebar
Rudy Giuliani said today that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un got “on his hands and knees and begged" for President Trump to reverse his decision to cancel their summit, the Wall Street Journal's Felicia Schwartz reports.


Rudy is apparently senile or something. He and Trump are old friends, but he needs to be fired. As does Bolton and Sessions.
“She lost the old-fashioned way, by being a terrible candidate. Case closed.”
Beech Mtn
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,660
Joined: 06 Oct 2009 16:50

Re: Re:

09 Jun 2018 02:16

Beech Mtn wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:"Mr Diplomat" strikes again! Geezus!

https://www.axios.com/giuliani-says-kim-jong-un-begged-for-trump-summit-04f569ed-256d-4f3c-85fa-0bd2a9d75d00.html?utm_source=sidebar
Rudy Giuliani said today that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un got “on his hands and knees and begged" for President Trump to reverse his decision to cancel their summit, the Wall Street Journal's Felicia Schwartz reports.


Rudy is apparently senile or something. He and Trump are old friends, but he needs to be fired. As does Bolton and Sessions.


Trump should use the Special Forces to kidnap him.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,385
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

09 Jun 2018 06:17

Some good news from Afghanistan -

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/russia-central-asia/article/2150022/taliban-and-afghan-forces-agree-unprecedented
Taliban and Afghan forces agree unprecedented ceasefire over Eid

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani announced an unconditional ceasefire with the Taliban on Thursday, until June 20, but excluding other militant groups, such as Islamic State

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani announced an unconditional ceasefire with the Taliban on Thursday, until June 20, but excluding other militant groups, such as Islamic State.

Ghani’s decision came after a meeting of Islamic clerics declared a fatwa, or ruling, against suicide bombings, one of which, claimed by Islamic State, killed 14 people at the entrance to the clerics’ peace tent in Kabul.

The clerics also recommended a ceasefire with the Taliban, who are seeking to reimpose strict Islamic law after their ouster in 2001, and Ghani endorsed the recommendation, saying it would last until June 20.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,695
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

10 Jun 2018 23:38

Well lookee here. Iran next.

the IAF F-35 “Adir” planes penetrated Iran’s airspace, circled high above Tehran, Karajrak, Isfahan, Shiraz and Bandar Abbas – and photographed Iran’s air defense system.

One of the sources reported that Iran’s air defense system, including its Russian radar, did not detect the entry and exit of the fighter planes, and that Ismaili hid this information from the supreme leader to cover his corps’ failure. However, three weeks ago, Iranian intelligence discovered that the Israeli fighter jets had carried out this sortie as a test of the possibility of an undetected military attack on Iranian outposts and bases, during which they photographed those sensitive bases, evading the Russian S-300 missile system’s radar.

According to Al Jarida, Iranian intelligence received top secret information that the Israeli fighter planes even managed to photograph Iran’s underground bases. Khamenei, who received this information, now suspects a cooperation between Russia and Israel, and that the Russians gave Israel the secret code of the Russian radar in Iran – according to the Kuwaiti newspaper.


http://www.jewishpress.com/news/middle-east/iran-news/khamenei-fires-air-force-chief-over-israeli-f-35-deep-penetration-of-irans-sky/2018/06/09/

Israel + Saudi + GCC + USA + Russia?
“She lost the old-fashioned way, by being a terrible candidate. Case closed.”
Beech Mtn
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,660
Joined: 06 Oct 2009 16:50

11 Jun 2018 07:32

sorry, bm i dont believe a single word of that zionist part bravado part intentional disinformation.

sure, any air force trains to evade the enemy radars and israel has shown being adept at that. but the timing of these verbal salvos is too coincidental to the us/zionists abortion of the iranian nuclear deal. with or w/o russia's help an s-300 can be suppressed or fooled if confronted by a determined effort, w/o listening to the zionist ferry tales....
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,833
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Back to top