Register

Himalaism - Polish K2 winter expedition

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

28 Jan 2018 23:59

Because some People are risking their lives to save anothers. Somebody, full of dreams, is just losing his Life.. . Hardly anybody here cares about it. If I would like to talk about it must find another place. That's all.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

Re:

29 Jan 2018 00:10

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:Because some People are risking their lives to save anothers. Somebody, full of dreams, is just losing his Life.. . Hardly anybody here cares about it. If I would like to talk about it must find another place. That's all.
There are a lot more readers/lurkers in this thread than there are posters.

Just because the aforementioned aren't experienced mountaineers doesn't mean they don't care, though. So as far as I'm concerned keep the thread up.
User avatar Tricycle Rider

Re: Re:

29 Jan 2018 00:53

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:
Irondan wrote:I think what's important here, and the topic of discussion is the actual winter Himalayan expedition, not the technical aspects of where the climbers are from.

Climbing K2 in the winter is certainly worthy of lengthy discussion, I look forward to hearing any updates on their exploits.

Because of all the amazing interest / attention of this thread / of the people who risks their lifes to save another ones:
Irondan / or other Admins - could you please immediately delete my account and as well this thread? - thank you.

Please understand that once a comment is posted to the public forum we don't delete or alter it unless it violates forum policy. We also will not delete accounts except in extreme circumstances that almost never occur.

We can ban your account if you wish, but that's about all we'll be able to do. If that's the route you'd like to go, please contact me via PM.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

29 Jan 2018 00:53

I had seen the thread, but not read it until tonight; mountaineering is not a major interest of mine (nor of most readers of a cycling forum), the exploits of Polish explorers does not add particularly to my interest (nor to that, I would suggest of most people on an English language forum), and, to their disgrace, the media (in UK at least) have carried little or nothing on this story, so most of us have had no knowledge of what lays behind the thread title. That title, obviously written before the sad turn of events, does not lead the reader to expect it to deal with sacrifice and tragedy.

Now that I have read it, I am grateful to you for bringing it to my attention, but other than adding some general sympathetic statement, I would have had nothing to add on the matter: I am sure there are other lurkers who feel likewise. But please don't assume that the level of response is out of callous indifference: it is due to involuntary ignorance.

Please do continue to keep us updated with developments: we can't rely on our professional news sources to do so. Perhaps you could ask an admin to change the thread title to something more likely to gain attention. And stay here for what this site can share with you of interest in cycling matters, Sky related or otherwise.

But if you want in depth discussion on this matter, you really would need to look to a site more directed towards mountaineering or Polish interests, and realise that we have little to add on something we have so little knowledge of.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

29 Jan 2018 01:02

We could change the thread topic title, to something more fitting with regard to the events that have recently transpired.

Please contact me via PM if that's what you'd like to do bot_sky_bot.

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2018/01/28/nanga-parbat-1-saved-1-lost-and-the-spirit-of-mountaineering-is-strong/
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re:

29 Jan 2018 03:25

What hit me from this article the most, and it's something that will always ring true...

Climbing any mountain in winter is dangerous. Adding in the altitude and terrain of an 8000-meter mountain makes success almost always impossible. For those who try, they fully understand the risks.

29 Jan 2018 07:49

I've been following the thread since the start, I just haven't posted anything since I don't really post much at the moment and had little to add. But thank you for detailing an incredibly inspiring story of genuine altruism. The word hero is true for all four of them. Rip tomasz, and condolences to his family, but I guess at least he died doing the thing he loved.
Brullnux
Veteran

02 Feb 2018 18:26

So, if anybody is interested in continuing this thread :-):
- there is no need to change thread topic tittle: first I'd would like to give you some information about K2 summit winter attempt, but suddenly we had to face the tragedy of Eli and Tomasz.. :-(;
- Elisabeth is in a hospital, there was no chance to help Tomasz;
- probably some parts of her hands and feet will have to amputated;
- French Embassy officially stated their acknowledgement for surviving French citizen;
- till today there was no proper weather conditions to transport rescue team via heli to the base camp of K2 - now they joined the rest of the team;
- after a few days of horrible weather, members of K2 winter expedition has started to continue achieving of K2 summit...
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

02 Feb 2018 18:41

BBC and Guardian articles.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

Re:

02 Feb 2018 19:11

Armchair cyclist wrote:BBC and Guardian articles.

Yes, it's nice that even in UK the whole rescue expedition is describied.. And the words of Denis in the middle of the night at 6100 m: "Elisabeth.....nice to see you. Adam, I have her......"
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

03 Feb 2018 16:35

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:
Armchair cyclist wrote:BBC and Guardian articles.

Yes, it's nice that even in UK the whole rescue expedition is describied.. And the words of Denis in the middle of the night at 6100 m: "Elisabeth.....nice to see you. Adam, I have her......"
I had read the BBC article, it had a short interview with Elisabeth. Even though she may lose a few fingers, or even a limb, she think she'll climb again because it's what she needs.

It definitely takes a certain kind of personality to climb to begin with, but to go back after such a harrowing experience...

Anyhoo, please do keep posting, I think this is all very interesting. :)

03 Feb 2018 20:26

Has anyone here read No Way Down: Life and Death on K2, by Graham Bowley? I just ordered it, have no idea if it's any good. But being it's only a cheapy used paperback copy I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Interesting factoid about Elisabeth Revol, btw. (the French climber who had just been rescued from Nanga Parbat ), apparently she partook on a climb of Annapurna a while back where a Czech climber had been left behind and died, and she had been rescued. Some more vitriolic posts on the webs call here the Black Widow of mountaineering now. :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Mina%C5%99%C3%ADk

03 Feb 2018 21:16

Gotta be a couple of good hills where you are TR. Try them out....
As for Revol, well she survived which is really the name of the game at that level.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

Re:

03 Feb 2018 21:52

Dazed and Confused wrote:Gotta be a couple of good hills where you are TR. Try them out....
As for Revol, well she survived which is really the name of the game at that level.
We do have some nice peaks here in the Cascades, but just climbing in my bike saddle after a winter (and fall) of hibernating will be challenge enough. :lol:

---------

Update on the book I had posted about upthread - I started reading Amazon's free kindle preview, and while I have a hard time imagining all the glaciers and crevasses and stuff I am positively hooked! (So much so that I will have to pay for the whole kindle version now because I want to continue reading. Now, figuring out this modern kindle stuff will be a whole other challenge...)

03 Feb 2018 22:39

Tricycle Rider wrote:
Dazed and Confused wrote:Gotta be a couple of good hills where you are TR. Try them out....
We do have some nice peaks here in the Cascades, but just climbing in my bike saddle after a winter (and fall) of hibernating will be challenge enough. :lol:

---------

Update on the book I had posted about upthread - I started reading Amazon's free kindle preview, and while I have a hard time imagining all the glaciers and crevasses and stuff I am positively hooked! (So much so that I will have to pay for the whole kindle version now because I want to continue reading. Now, figuring out this modern kindle stuff will be a whole other challenge...)

good luck with the kindle.

Dazed and Confused
Veteran

04 Feb 2018 00:00

Dazed and Confused wrote:good luck with the kindle.

lol... yes, it's something like that. (So far I have learned how to upload the kindle app, how to purchase and download the book, and how to bookmark the last page when I need to rest my eyeballs. This is such a historical moment for me!)

But seriously, there is a brief mention of the history of K2 climbing in the beginning of the book, but then it goes back to the story itself. It's really very enthralling, and just to help me picture things a bit better I found this very helpful website that has all kinds of info and pictures of the mountain. (And if Bot.Sky_Bot continues to post about the Polish climbing group I'll be able to understand where they are and what they are up to better.) http://www.caingram.info/Worldwide/seven_summits/htm/k2.htm

04 Feb 2018 12:40

https://scontent-waw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26991648_1765218093523620_344586903249086390_n.jpg?oh=b18d2f901c696fddadefe1a44d2fc5b5&oe=5B22E3B3

Here you have location of 1st camp at 5900m at K2 (just 1 tent, one of 3-4 camps on the road to K2 summit). Let say - very comfortable location, but you can see many ropes responsible for setting the camp.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

04 Feb 2018 12:47

https://scontent-waw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19554766_540715089654741_2250964455379276550_n.jpg?oh=cddc32b1720952c9c47ae8b517024c14&oe=5B232430

And here you have, behind Denis Urubko, C2 at 6300 m- second camp, two tents.. just on the edge..
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

04 Feb 2018 12:53

Denis Urubko in a tent at C2 (6300 m). During the night he must be all the time attached to the ropes because of the wind..

https://scontent-waw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26907849_540715079654742_6582412334696227522_n.jpg?oh=8b93b6231176bf345883dbf633407e7c&oe=5B19D66C
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

PreviousNext

Return to General