Register

2018 Winter Olympics, PyeongChang

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

24 Feb 2018 10:37

So Norway have won the most medals ever at the winter olympics, but may not top the medals table, depending on how the medal table is ranked.
How should the medal table be decided? In my head its ranked by Golds, then Silver, then Bronze, but some countries do the total medals as a ranking system.
Singer01

24 Feb 2018 17:22

Ledecka! That's very cool to win Gold in two distinctly different sliding/turning events!

RE: Medal count/ranking: That's a tough one. On one hand total medals is important, but Gold is the ultimate goal so most Gold might be more important.

For Norway, 13 Gold and 38 total is the best performance by a country. I haven't studied the remaining medals up for grabs, but even if GER earns another Gold, IMO it doesn't make up for 10 less medals.

EDIT: It looks like NOR ended with 14 Gold, 15 Silver, 11 Bronze..39 total!
Last edited by jmdirt on 25 Feb 2018 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
jmdirt

24 Feb 2018 17:50

Watching some of the cross country skiing events made me feel really, really fat and out of shape.. both men and women racers are fantastic to watch..a true motivation no matter what country the athletes are from..
Unchained

Re:

25 Feb 2018 22:29

Unchained wrote:Watching some of the cross country skiing events made me feel really, really fat and out of shape.. both men and women racers are fantastic to watch..a true motivation no matter what country the athletes are from..
Ha, true dat! (Ten years ago I looked like a xc-skier, now I look more like an alpine skier. Oof!)

Anyhoo, I agree it's amazing to watch these elite athletes do their thing, right now I'm watching some replays of competitions I didn't get to see earlier. The Canadian ice dancers who won the gold were just so smooth, elegant, and beautiful, can't imagine anyone being able to outdo them.

And then this morning I watched a replay of the mass start speedskating, what the heck did I just see? I'm so confuuuuused! (Found a helpful link that explains the rules, it'll take a while for it to sink in, though. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/2018-pyeongchang-winter-olympics-mass-speed-skating-team-canada-interactive/article37836651/ )

I haven't seen the Closing Ceremonies yet because NBC hasn't aired them yet, but all in all I thought these Olympics were a-okay.
User avatar Tricycle Rider

Previous

Return to General