Register

CyclingNews PRO Paywall?

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

CyclingNews PRO Paywall?

03 Apr 2018 12:58

Has anyone else seen this?

Like CyclingTips.com CN is now trying to monetize it's best content for a small monthly fee.

How many of you forumites plan on paying for the better content?

Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

03 Apr 2018 13:10

Haven't seen it, but I have noticed that CTips seem to have rowed back a bit on what content is only subscription only
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

Re:

03 Apr 2018 13:12

macbindle wrote:Haven't seen it, but I have noticed that CTips seem to have rowed back a bit on what content is only subscription only

Do you pay for CyclingTips premium content?
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

03 Apr 2018 13:14

I think it was a limited release in North America and gone from my CN website front page now. It will be everywhere soon enough I'm sure.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re: Re:

03 Apr 2018 13:16

Irondan wrote:
macbindle wrote:Haven't seen it, but I have noticed that CTips seem to have rowed back a bit on what content is only subscription only

Do you pay for CyclingTips premium content?

No I don't.
User avatar macbindle

03 Apr 2018 14:20

The content would have to be pretty good... and there'd have to be evidence that contributors were benefiting (written and photographic). No objection to paying for content in principle. I won't though (for instance) pay to access my local newspaper's website as it is owned by a large company, has spent the last decade laying off staff, doesn't pay for photos ... and as a result, it's rubbish.
User avatar armchairclimber

03 Apr 2018 14:28

We've all got used to 'free' content...but then whine like he'll when we realise there has been a cost all along.
User avatar macbindle

03 Apr 2018 15:13

Does that mean podcast and rider interviews that are on the normal site will now be on this site? ....I hope not.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re:

03 Apr 2018 15:25

Jspear wrote:Does that mean podcast and rider interviews that are on the normal site will now be on this site? ....I hope not.

I have no idea. Sorry.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

03 Apr 2018 15:34

Have no intention of paying for the premium content. Would most likely continue using the forum no matter what but depending on how much stays on the free version of the main site, there's a chance I'd switch to other websites for race reports and stuff
User avatar PremierAndrew

Re: CyclingNews PRO Paywall?

03 Apr 2018 15:38

Absolutely no intention of paying to read a race report, rider interview or viewing photos of bikes. That's absurd. I'm not desperately in need of anything written on this site. It mainly serves as a mildly amusing distraction, the contents of which can be found elsewhere.
P.S. The mods deserve to be paid.
User avatar the delgados

03 Apr 2018 17:56

Sorry, just want to add one more thing. I think the quality of writing about races here is top notch; there have been more than one turn of phrase I repeated to others after reading a race report and/or analysis.
But to be totally honest, the forum is probably the main reason I visit the site. Sadly, a lot of valuable and entertaining contributors have been banned over the years, but there still remains a lot of people who are worth checking in on.
User avatar the delgados

03 Apr 2018 17:58

the delgados wrote:Absolutely no intention of paying to read a race report, rider interview or viewing photos of bikes. That's absurd. I'm not desperately in need of anything written on this site. It mainly serves as a mildly amusing distraction, the contents of which can be found elsewhere.
P.S. The mods deserve to be paid.

That would be a nice gesture.. :)
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

04 Apr 2018 03:48

I wouldn't (pay). I have in the past done things like donate to Wikipedia, and I would in the future consider paying for proper, high quality journalism. But as for cycling/sport related stuff ~ the less it's commodified and capitalised and monetized the better.
User avatar The Hegelian

05 Apr 2018 00:38

No chance I’ll pay. I get very little of my cycling media through cyclingnews. I don’t know how much it costs, but the content has to be outstanding for me to pay for it.
Durden93

05 Apr 2018 07:58

Media used to have several revenues, one from the subscription/audience, one from advertisement and another not very honest from propaganda.
The radio hardly had any income from subscription, ever.

Now it comes to the point on advertisement and the propaganda (in cycling is not very common).
Cycling itself is a marketing product that needs the media to succeed. Would you charge cycling fans for the sport when the branding is not that established?
User avatar slosada

05 Apr 2018 08:41

Haven't seen it, but it would be similar to what Motorsport.com is doing with premium articles you have to have membership for.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

05 Apr 2018 08:49

It’s always going to depend what the content is. I have no problem paying for good content. I’d expect insight I can’t get elsewhere and also removal of ads. I stopped buying cycling and music magazines when they just started to be 50% advertising and the rest recycled articles, and I mean literally recycled from previous years. I’ve noticed that CN are starting to do videos, I’m guessing these might be something that end up behind the paywall. They have a lot to compete with on that front, let’s see how it goes.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re:

05 Apr 2018 09:09

King Boonen wrote:It’s always going to depend what the content is. I have no problem paying for good content. I’d expect insight I can’t get elsewhere and also removal of ads. I stopped buying cycling and music magazines when they just started to be 50% advertising and the rest recycled articles, and I mean literally recycled from previous years. I’ve noticed that CN are starting to do videos, I’m guessing these might be something that end up behind the paywall. They have a lot to compete with on that front, let’s see how it goes.

Me too. I used to have a subscription to Cycling Weekly, but I stopped it when I noticed not only the endless recycling of anodyne articles but also the correlation between products getting a good review in the magazine and the appearance of the product in advertising within the magazine.

I think some cycling mags have upped their game, Cyclist being full of in depth articles and beautiful photography, but I'm afraid I still don't purchase them. Ultimately, I don't think I'm interested enough by what they say.
User avatar macbindle

05 Apr 2018 13:20

I'm only here for the forum and have very little interest in the CN mainpage. So no, i wouldn't pay.
User avatar fauniera

Next

Return to General