Register

2018 FIFA World Cup XXI

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

01 Jul 2018 21:40

Brullnux wrote:
Flamin wrote:I just read it's apparently a new rule that this is only a yellow card (talking about the penalty foul). That's ridiculous :o the attacker actually beat the keeper. A penalty alone is incredibly unfair since it gives the keeper a free second chance. Who makes this stuff up you wonder.

Very glad Croatia goes through.

It was to limit the "triple punishment" of a red, penalty and suspension. If it's outside the box it's a red, and if there's no attempt to get the ball it's a red. This was very marginal, and could've been a red. Maybe they should make it work like the offside law.

Yes, the triple punishment was indeed way too severe in some cases. But in this particular case, the team that commits the foul, is actually rewarded. Doesn't make any sense.
User avatar Flamin

02 Jul 2018 06:09

Russia showed that "parking the bus" can still get results - though Spain were very poor. Where was Eriksen? Both teams (Denmark & Croatia) played it safe, so Croatia need to work on getting some more men up front or there'll be taking penalties again soon.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re: Re:

02 Jul 2018 07:33

Flamin wrote:
Brullnux wrote:
Flamin wrote:I just read it's apparently a new rule that this is only a yellow card (talking about the penalty foul). That's ridiculous :o the attacker actually beat the keeper. A penalty alone is incredibly unfair since it gives the keeper a free second chance. Who makes this stuff up you wonder.

Very glad Croatia goes through.

It was to limit the "triple punishment" of a red, penalty and suspension. If it's outside the box it's a red, and if there's no attempt to get the ball it's a red. This was very marginal, and could've been a red. Maybe they should make it work like the offside law.

Yes, the triple punishment was indeed way too severe in some cases. But in this particular case, the team that commits the foul, is actually rewarded. Doesn't make any sense.

Yeah I agree. I don't think there was any real attempt to get the ball personally.
Brullnux
Veteran

02 Jul 2018 08:33

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:Great. russia out.

seems you underestimated home/VAR advantage

LOL Russia to win they are really getting lucky Croatia next?

hoping well for england next ...is it true ? odds stacked against them statistically runners up
rarely make it through final 16.............

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

02 Jul 2018 09:05

...re-watched the post match penalties in both yesterday games and cant help but notice the relatively high save vs the scoring rate. it is explainable given the players fatigue and stress, but it contradicts an old study i recall.

that is, the physical realities of the player-keeper distance (11m), the very high potential ball velocity and the speed of human reaction (the combination of the 3 factors !) do not leave many chances to a keeper if the penalty is struck properly. in theory that is.

what i saw, was that the lucky keepers were able to pre-guess, that is properly bet on a strike direction, rather than
seeing it and THEN reacting. does it makes sense ?
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

02 Jul 2018 13:31

Yeah, they basically always do that. Sometimes more, sometimes less successfully. Subasic yesterday went VERY early, both Eriksen and Schöne could have easily adjusted if they had only looked up before hitting the ball. Schöne could have done a Moses, pretty much.
kingjr

Re:

02 Jul 2018 15:14

python wrote:...re-watched the post match penalties in both yesterday games and cant help but notice the relatively high save vs the scoring rate. it is explainable given the players fatigue and stress, but it contradicts an old study i recall.

that is, the physical realities of the player-keeper distance (11m), the very high potential ball velocity and the speed of human reaction (the combination of the 3 factors !) do not leave many chances to a keeper if the penalty is struck properly. in theory that is.

what i saw, was that the lucky keepers were able to pre-guess, that is properly bet on a strike direction, rather than
seeing it and THEN reacting. does it makes sense ?

Yeah, it's just like a batsman playing a fast bowler in cricket or, I'm assuming, a batter in baseball. You look for clues in the body language (and grip on the ball in cricket/baseball) and you try to work out what they're going to do and dive before they strike it. A good penalty taker will also watch the keeper and change where they hit it if the keeper goes too early.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

02 Jul 2018 20:07

So, so close for japan but you don't leave yourself so exposed on the counter in the 94th minute.

Another reason why there were so many saves is the keepers going so far off their lines before the penalties were kicked, especially Croatia vs Denmark. Also the penalties were broadly pretty average.
Brullnux
Veteran

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup XXI

03 Jul 2018 01:26

Fantastic game! I wanted Belgium to win because I feel that they have a much better chance to knock off the diving Brazilians, but the way Japan played all night, attacking, creating space, passing, counters, no fear whatsoever, I kind of wanted them to go through, but all it took was one mistake. Real pity for them and it would have been a pity had Belgium lost because they attacked as well, as was expected from them.

This is what football should be about. Plus, and this is perhaps even more impressive. The game was so free flowing, hardly any stoppages, no dirty play, no diving, attack, counter attack, lot's of skill, two wonderful goals from Japan, particularly the second one, from distance. Two very good headers from Belgium and then the final play. This game had it all. Too bad one of them had to lose. Hope that Belgium now knocks the Brazilians out.

I agree with Lineker and Shearer who were praising both teams and the quality they showed. Worthy of game of the tournament, right up there (if not better) than Spain vs Portugal. Hope this continues.
BullsFan22

03 Jul 2018 04:38

definitely fun games to watch, tho I thought Coatia-Denmark was a little boring.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

03 Jul 2018 13:09

Belgium played for like 20 minutes - when the 2 subs came on, and scored 3 goals.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

03 Jul 2018 13:43

Felt sorry for Japan, as they were superior in most aspects of the game. Individual quality eventually got the better of them. I thought they were a joy to watch. Discipline, stamina, pressing, strong on the ball, always finding space in between (also because the Belgians gave away loads of it).

As for Belgium, imo it's a god's gift that Japan really put them to the test, since they can adjust the very obvious flaws they showed, come Friday. If it had been a walk in the park (like Hungary 16), I'm afraid the Brazilians would have eaten them.

Three at the back is just a no go against Brazil. Four at the back and an extra player in central midfield is a must. Kagawa gave them a hard time because there was so much space to move into, let alone Coutinho with Neymar and Willian joining the party.
User avatar Flamin

03 Jul 2018 16:03

Well done Sweden!
User avatar ToreBear

03 Jul 2018 21:04

the brits are thru via a penalty series...

colombia fought well. but was outplayed in almost every statistic i could think of. still it was the typical british set-piece performance, as opposed to the game flow, that earned them scoring, icluding their main time goal. the referee was probably obsessed by a yellow card fever, giving out 8 or 9. more than i saw in a while.

i expected more of the brits, frankly.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

03 Jul 2018 21:06

Thought Colombia's antics during that game were disgusting, particularly Falcao. Shame really as I thought they were fantastic at Brazil 2014 but they deserve to go home today.

Feel sorry for James Rodriguez being stuck with the rest of them.
Hayabusa

Re:

03 Jul 2018 21:13

Hayabusa wrote:Thought Colombia's antics during that game were disgusting, particularly Falcao. Shame really as I thought they were fantastic at Brazil 2014 but they deserve to go home today.

Feel sorry for James Rodriguez being stuck with the rest of them.

How could they not be upset? England only scored thanks to a non-existing penalty. Even without James, Colombia played well enough to have won this match. They were too conservative in the first half, perhaps thinking the Brits were better than they actually are.
User avatar AlexNYC

03 Jul 2018 21:18

If you think that wasn't a penalty, I would suggest you don't understand the rules of football. Though to be fair, there have been some shocking fouls that haven't been given in the penalty box at this world cup. Refs need to clamp down.
Hayabusa

03 Jul 2018 21:26

It looked like a penalty, but the replay shows that Kane falls on his own and Sanchez trips over him while trying to follow.
User avatar AlexNYC

03 Jul 2018 21:51

Shocked that England managed to win a penalty shoot-out, it wasn't a pretty game , but we take the win.

Really surprised by Colombia, I've enjoyed watching them play over the past few years, but tonight they were thugs. The headbutt towards Henderson, one of their coaches elbowing Sterling at half-time and their players scuffing the penalty spot while some of the other players were protesting. They got what they deserved by such horrible tactics.

For me, it was a penalty, you simply shouldn't have your arms all over another player in the box, you leave the ref no choice.
User avatar Pricey_sky

04 Jul 2018 06:12

Colombia came to stop England playing, lots of cynical fouls, surrounding the referee, England are no saints, but Colombia where a disgrace, the World Cup will not miss such a cynical team

Nice to see the penalty hoodoo buried as well
del1962
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General