Register

2018 FIFA World Cup XXI

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

18 Jun 2018 08:43

Brazil not the best start but they at least did better than Spain in 2010. Suisse is just a very tough team to play against. And it sure doesn't help if the referee allows way too much fouls, which is really annoying.

Refereeing overall has been a real joke anyway so far.
User avatar Flamin

18 Jun 2018 08:43

Really annoys me listening to commentators justyfying (Lee Dixon I think, just because you got away with it at Arenal) the Swiss goal against Brazil. Clear push on the Brazillian defender, should have gone to VAR.

otoh Brazil have only themselves to blame for not winning, basically going defensive after they scored, that might be OK deep into 2nd half, but not halfway through first half.

Aslo ref should have booked more Swiss player for blatant play stopping challenges,
del1962
Veteran

18 Jun 2018 15:29

I thought Miranda was just a bit weak there. There's always a bit of tussle in the box, and often worse stuff is not given. Afaik everything goes to var, and they then decide if it's a 'clear and obvious mistake' or whatever. I think refereeing has been bad in the midfield but var has been used pretty well for major decisions.
Brullnux
Veteran

19 Jun 2018 05:25

91st minute winner for England - that says it all. Belgium played for 45 minutes & got 3 goals - class!
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

19 Jun 2018 07:12

Tunisia is a stronger opponent than Panama though, surely.
kingjr

Re:

19 Jun 2018 08:34

kingjr wrote:Tunisia is a stronger opponent than Panama though, surely.

But England should have won the game in the first 45 minutes.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re: Re:

19 Jun 2018 12:24

Robert5091 wrote:
kingjr wrote:Tunisia is a stronger opponent than Panama though, surely.

But England should have won the game in the first 45 minutes.

Bit unlucky really.
kingjr

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup XXI

19 Jun 2018 12:36

Yeah, the score definitely doesn't tell the whole story. England were the better team throughout. This could have easily been 5-1 or 6-1. They'll have to finish better if they want to go far in this tournament. They'll most likely get past Panama (though nothing is certain at this world cup, and it is England we are talking about here...), but Belgium will not be so kind in missed chances. That match should be entertaining. Both teams like to attack and both have the talent, though i'd give Belgium the edge at the moment.

After the second game (for each team), we might get a much better indicator of how things will play out and who is in form.
BullsFan22

20 Jun 2018 10:22

If England and Belgium both win their second game, the England-Belgium match may not matter much anymore, and both teams could field a bunch of substitutes (in which case England should win easily).
User avatar Jagartrott

21 Jun 2018 20:53

Croatia-Argentina 3-1. Pathetic match by the Seleccion and pathetic Sampaoli. Croatia deserved to win today and now they will probably face Denmark in the next round, so a good chance to reach the quarter finals.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

Re:

21 Jun 2018 21:19

Laplaz wrote:Croatia-Argentina 3-1. Pathetic match by the Seleccion and pathetic Sampaoli. Croatia deserved to win today and now they will probably face Denmark in the next round, so a good chance to reach the quarter finals.

Probably a typo, but Argentina didn't score.
I'm pointing this out 'cause the goal difference might be decisive for the second place.
Doesn't look good for Argentina.
User avatar sir fly

22 Jun 2018 00:30

...not to say they win it all, but France is 2-0, building up it seems. Power-houses need to be scared: there are no "small" teams anymore. Players are all over, it used to be "the Germans are big, strong, and fit but not smart" vs. "the English have no mid-field, kick and run", "Africans are 10 #9 no defense" et caetera...globalization has changed the game. All teams are fundamentally sound. "No small team" was said in '82, the first sign, but it wasn't really true. Only two foreigners in a first-league team back then in Europe. Coaches remained in their country. We are now seeing global football. No more stereotypes. Anyone, on a good day, can win.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

Re:

22 Jun 2018 02:58

Laplaz wrote:Croatia-Argentina 3-1. Pathetic match by the Seleccion and pathetic Sampaoli. Croatia deserved to win today and now they will probably face Denmark in the next round, so a good chance to reach the quarter finals.

not if the Danes lose to France and Australia beat peru 2-0... down to goal difference, it will be
User avatar Archibald

22 Jun 2018 06:51

This Argentina reminds me a lot of Argentina 2010 under Maradona. Some top quality players and some mediocre ones, but most of all, a very poor collective. No team, no tactic.

If they do manage to go through to knock-outs, they will be slaughtered by France, just like Germany did to them back then.

And oh yeah, Messi is a lazy br*t.
User avatar Flamin

23 Jun 2018 02:38

Looking at him during his matches (also with Barça but the team playing all for him tends to make it less noticeable except for some Champions League matches where Barça has suffered) make me think that he didn't train properly anymore, he literally walk for almost the entire match waiting only the right chance. In the last clasico he made two sharp aceleration when he scrored the goal and then he was on he knees for the rest of the second half, i remember he was catched by the camera a couple of time bent over and breathless.
Nirvana

23 Jun 2018 07:21

BullsFan22 wrote:Yeah, the score definitely doesn't tell the whole story. England were the better team throughout. This could have easily been 5-1 or 6-1.
No, it couldn't. Score really tells a lot in this case. Tunisia just has defended tie. England had a ball, but except for the goal they've had no scoring opportunities in the second half. They were unable to think of something. Harry Kane saved them.
Kokoso

23 Jun 2018 12:17

Kokoso wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:Yeah, the score definitely doesn't tell the whole story. England were the better team throughout. This could have easily been 5-1 or 6-1.
No, it couldn't. Score really tells a lot in this case. Tunisia just has defended tie. England had a ball, but except for the goal they've had no scoring opportunities in the second half. They were unable to think of something. Harry Kane saved them.

England should have scored 3 or 4 in the opening 20 minutes, that’s not to mention the two blatant fouls on Kane that went unpunished. You are correct about the the second half though, Tunisia changed their shape at half time and England struggled to break them down.
User avatar Pricey_sky

23 Jun 2018 13:40

The Belgians are looking really good.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

23 Jun 2018 18:34

gorgeous...sweden germany (ongoing) 1:0 !!!!!!!!
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

Re:

23 Jun 2018 18:56

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:The Belgians are looking really good.

Against very disappointing teams, though, like normal. Nobody is questioning Belgium's ability to play against bad sides, it's organised Ines they can't play against. And for some reason the FA refuses to organise friendlies against good teams.

Germany look lazy and arrogant. Sweden organised and committed.
Brullnux
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General