Log in:  

Register

2018 FIFA World Cup XXI

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

23 Jun 2018 20:00

And the team that should've been red carded and been up against a penalty wins. Referees absolutely dominating the WC.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,523
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re:

23 Jun 2018 20:42

python wrote:gorgeous...sweden germany (ongoing) 1:0 !!!!!!!!

It all works out in the end for Germany!!! I was eating breakfast in a restaurant were the owner gave all.. and I mean all employees a Mexican Nat jersey to wear at work.. there was lots of clapping and good cheer because of a pretty lopsided game against SKorea.. I didn't realize how many people would be up and out early... I think my breakfast is safe until Mexico plays in the next bracket..
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 854
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

23 Jun 2018 20:47

Sweden were dumb shits still walking back after Boateng's red card.

Germany fully deserved that for keeping the pressure on.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,032
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

23 Jun 2018 20:53

Superb ending for Germany. The White Tide in full flow really is a thing of beauty at times. Be aware Spain/Brazil/France/Belguim, the beast is starting to get hungry;)
User avatar ferryman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,170
Joined: 30 Dec 2009 23:43
Location: LostinFife

Re: Re:

23 Jun 2018 21:07

Unchained wrote:
python wrote:gorgeous...sweden germany (ongoing) 1:0 !!!!!!!!

It all works out in the end for Germany!!! I was eating breakfast in a restaurant were the owner gave all.. and I mean all employees a Mexican Nat jersey to wear at work.. there was lots of clapping and good cheer because of a pretty lopsided game against SKorea.. I didn't realize how many people would be up and out early... I think my breakfast is safe until Mexico plays in the next bracket..

i surely hoped for a different score :mad: that said, germany despite being down one player ( well, not as big of a deal as in hockey, where sweden is btw a world champ 2 times in a row)...well, germany showed a real class i have to admit.

the ball passing in the last 10-15 min was exceptionally accurate long or short...no hesitation was shown to 'stretch' the swedish defense by activating the mid field...to steel the game with 10 or so seconds to go, is certainly good luck, but it was also a cold calculation capitalizing on insufficient blocking...my opinion - sweden should have placed at least 3 players, not 2, into a blocking wall, when it was so close physically even if a sharp angle.

the swedes clearly counted on their hight advantage. was not enough...
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,871
Joined: 25 Sep 2009 01:01

24 Jun 2018 08:18

The "parking of the bus" routine not going so well (Costa Rica, Tunisia, now Sweden - the Swedes were in trouble the moment Özil was dropped!). See if Panama can hold out today against England.
(Edit - good news for Panama - Seems Sterling will start)
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,989
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re:

24 Jun 2018 13:13

Robert5091 wrote:The "parking of the bus" routine not going so well (Costa Rica, Tunisia, now Sweden - the Swedes were in trouble the moment Özil was dropped!). See if Panama can hold out today against England.
(Edit - good news for Panama - Seems Sterling will start)


5-0 at half time, Panama are not a good team, good with their elbows
del1962
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,802
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 17:20

24 Jun 2018 19:45

James definitely with one of the top 3 individual performances so far this tournament. I really really hope Colombia advance to the 1/16 finals. Awesome team.
User avatar Flamin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,705
Joined: 04 Jan 2011 00:31

24 Jun 2018 19:59

Perhaps for the first time since Euro 2000, England actually have an exciting, entertaining team. Neither Tunisia nor Panama are exactly an elite opponent, but the difference in attitude for this England side is clear to see when compared to several previous editions of their team.

On a more downbeat note, one of Colombia or Senegal will probably go out after group stage.
User avatar Põhja Konn
Member
 
Posts: 467
Joined: 01 Sep 2012 17:09

Re:

24 Jun 2018 20:31

Põhja Konn wrote:Perhaps for the first time since Euro 2000, England actually have an exciting, entertaining team. Neither Tunisia nor Panama are exactly an elite opponent, but the difference in attitude for this England side is clear to see when compared to several previous editions of their team.

On a more downbeat note, one of Colombia or Senegal will probably go out after group stage.


Definitely, Japan, Colombia and Senegal are all very entertaining teams, it's a pity one of them won't make it to the last 16.
Sestriere
Member
 
Posts: 456
Joined: 24 Jun 2017 11:59

Re:

25 Jun 2018 16:09

Flamin wrote:James definitely with one of the top 3 individual performances so far this tournament. I really really hope Colombia advance to the 1/16 finals. Awesome team.

I was really impressed with all of Colombia's performance. One of the best team performances so far in the tournament.
Brullnux
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,359
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

Re: Re:

25 Jun 2018 18:02

Brullnux wrote:
Flamin wrote:James definitely with one of the top 3 individual performances so far this tournament. I really really hope Colombia advance to the 1/16 finals. Awesome team.

I was really impressed with all of Colombia's performance. One of the best team performances so far in the tournament.


I agree, a very strong performance. Colombia v Belgium/England would be a great last 16 tie.

Whilst I obviously want England to beat Belgium, it could be better to finish 2nd in the group. Should Brazil win their group and Germany finish 2nd, the winners of England’s group would play the winner of that game in the QF were they to progress. Whereas the loser may have Senegal and possibly Mexico/Switzerland for a run to the SF. A lot of football to be played yet though.
User avatar Pricey_sky
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,065
Joined: 12 Jul 2012 14:05
Location: Kidderminster, England

25 Jun 2018 19:32

There is no team in the world with a bigger gulf between talent level and the quality of the game they play, both in terms of the actual football and in terms of the sportsmanship and conduct they present themselves with, than Portugal. Why does Quaresma need to produce such a pathetic display of pretending to be hit and then try to take out a hit just to beat Iran, when he's already contributed with such a sublime goal?

I thought FIFA were supposed to be clamping down on the diving, but this tournament has been the worst yet, so many players trying to get opposition players screwed over with fake injuries the second somebody brushes anywhere near their upper half. It's not just diving to win free kicks and penalties anymore, it's diving to get a break and get undeserved man advantages. Until they start actually punishing the offenders the game is going nowhere, and I'm not going to believe they're serious about clamping down on it until somebody of serious high standing in the sport gets a suspension from it.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,714
Joined: 20 Feb 2010 11:54
Location: Land of Saíz

25 Jun 2018 19:40

My 6 year old son is more tough than these divers.
It really is becoming pathetic.
User avatar mrhender
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,656
Joined: 11 Jul 2013 07:54

25 Jun 2018 19:42

Worst of all, it's on tv for 3 billion people to watch. And yet it's almost considered a "part of the game" by commentators.
User avatar mrhender
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,656
Joined: 11 Jul 2013 07:54

25 Jun 2018 20:14

The overdogs getting all the luck this tournament. France against Australia. Germany last minute against Sweden (I think that was the one chance for them to lose, by far the best team in the tournament and will crush from now on). And now Spain given the easy route to the final by an incompetent ref. That was the worst decision in history because it was done after var.

What's funny is portugal don't realise they just lost. They got put into the hard section of the group. Spain might have beaten Germany or France or Brazil. Portugal has 0 chance. Their only hope was to win this game. I would have thrown all 11 men forward even at the risk of going out. You take risks to win. They played it safe (got screwed as well) and now they are dead men walking
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran
 
Posts: 28,907
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

Re:

25 Jun 2018 20:42

The Hitch wrote:The overdogs getting all the luck this tournament. France against Australia. Germany last minute against Sweden (I think that was the one chance for them to lose, by far the best team in the tournament and will crush from now on). And now Spain given the easy route to the final by an incompetent ref. That was the worst decision in history because it was done after var.

What's funny is portugal don't realise they just lost. They got put into the hard section of the group. Spain might have beaten Germany or France or Brazil. Portugal has 0 chance. Their only hope was to win this game. I would have thrown all 11 men forward even at the risk of going out. You take risks to win. They played it safe (got screwed as well) and now they are dead men walking

Portugal beated France in Euro '16 final but I agree with your point.
I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,148
Joined: 15 Apr 2016 16:10

Re: 2018 FIFA World Cup XXI

26 Jun 2018 04:57

Chapeau Iran! They might be part of the axis of evil but it was good tv.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,989
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

Re:

26 Jun 2018 10:21

The Hitch wrote:The overdogs getting all the luck this tournament. France against Australia. Germany last minute against Sweden (I think that was the one chance for them to lose, by far the best team in the tournament and will crush from now on). And now Spain given the easy route to the final by an incompetent ref. That was the worst decision in history because it was done after var.

What's funny is portugal don't realise they just lost. They got put into the hard section of the group. Spain might have beaten Germany or France or Brazil. Portugal has 0 chance. Their only hope was to win this game. I would have thrown all 11 men forward even at the risk of going out. You take risks to win. They played it safe (got screwed as well) and now they are dead men walking

Not sure if this Spain squad is cohesive and strong enough to win it all.

Facing Home Russia in Loujniki will not be a pleasure for them. And I'm not sure they're superior to Croatia at the moment.
User avatar Alexandre B.
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,598
Joined: 10 Feb 2015 20:04
Location: Paris, France

26 Jun 2018 15:48

Sorry for the Danes here, but your football team is butt-ugly. I've just watched 30 minutes of the France-Denmark game, and my eyes are bleeding. So sad that these woodchoppers go through instead of Peru, a squad that actually plays football.
User avatar Jagartrott
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,581
Joined: 15 Apr 2014 13:37

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 65 guests

Back to top