Register

Hockey

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, peloton, Alpe d'Huez, Eshnar, Red Rick, King Boonen, Tonton, Pricey_sky

14 May 2012 14:34

pedaling squares wrote:Defence rules today's game. Not an offensive team left in the mix. LA - NY would be the NHL's wet dream, they wouldn't care what kind of boring hockey was on display so long as the two biggest markets in the continent went head to head.
LA's a pretty good offensive team, but a NY-LA final is such a cliche. Sounds like the NBA, not the NHL. Boring.

At this point I'd just prefer to see this season be over and done with and then wait in barely suppressed anticipation for next October when the Leafs will begin their decade of domination.

Anyone else getting tired of Tortorella's antics?
Yep. Like Don Cherry, there's a point where a "character" just becomes a cartoon.
User avatar VeloCity
Veteran

14 May 2012 14:42

Anyway, I suppose we should go through the motions and do final predictions.

LA-Pho - LA in 5
NYR-NJ - NJ in 7

Stanley Cup

LA-NJ - NJ in 6

Bleh. I suppose it would be nice to see Martin Brodeur win one more cup and Kovalchuk get some revenge for all the underacheiver crap he's taken since being traded to NJ, but man...just zero interest in any of those teams left.
User avatar VeloCity
Veteran

14 May 2012 20:10

VeloCity wrote:LA's a pretty good offensive team, but a NY-LA final is such a cliche. Sounds like the NBA, not the NHL. Boring.

At this point I'd just prefer to see this season be over and done with and then wait in barely suppressed anticipation for next October when the Leafs will begin their decade of domination.

Yep. Like Don Cherry, there's a point where a "character" just becomes a cartoon.

Burkie, is that you?

LA has so many great offensive players, but they played Sutterball when Darryl took over and they ended up with the 2nd lowest goals for per game. Also got the 2nd lowest goals against per game, which tells you which end of the rink they were concerned about. I watched them in person once this year and couldn't believe how disinterested in offence they were. I got more entertainment out of Sutter's 20 year old $150 suit than I did out of his team.

Good comparison with Cherry. But at least Cherry is playing a character (to some degree), Tortorella seems to actually think that people pay $200 to come and watch his brilliance.
User avatar pedaling squares

14 May 2012 21:44

icebreaker wrote:Now THAT is funny. I almost choked on my coffee.
You heard it here first. Once the Leafs get just a few more pieces, the rest of you are toast. Toast, I tell you. Yeah, ok, sure, we've been saying that since what, 1967 or so? Well maybe not me cause I wasn't born yet but this time it's true. It really is. Just you wait. The rest of the league may as well just hand the Leafs the cup next year and not bother to waste everyone's time.
User avatar VeloCity
Veteran

14 May 2012 21:50

pedaling squares wrote:Burkie, is that you?

LA has so many great offensive players, but they played Sutterball when Darryl took over and they ended up with the 2nd lowest goals for per game. Also got the 2nd lowest goals against per game, which tells you which end of the rink they were concerned about. I watched them in person once this year and couldn't believe how disinterested in offence they were. I got more entertainment out of Sutter's 20 year old $150 suit than I did out of his team.
True, but they've picked it up a notch in the playoffs, with Brown and Kopitar in the top 5 in scoring and Richards just outside the top 10. But Jeff Carter, though - what's up with him? Seems like he's completely lost his scoring touch ever since leaving Philly.

Good comparison with Cherry. But at least Cherry is playing a character (to some degree), Tortorella seems to actually think that people pay $200 to come and watch his brilliance.
Good point about Cherry, he does play up and revel in his cartoonishness. Tortorella is just an ***.
User avatar VeloCity
Veteran

16 May 2012 16:42

Wow. Kings might just be for real this year, they've owned Phoenix so far. Was expecting a bit more fight from the Devils, hopefully they'll rebound tonight.

In other news, looks as though Semin's days as a Cap are over.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=396041

I think with a guy like that you've got to just let him play his game and not try to force him into something he's not, which is what the Caps - especially under Hunter - were trying to do, ie make him play more defensively minded. He's a goal scorer, that's all he is and can do, but a damn good one when he's allowed to play that role. Be interesting to see where he ends up, though a lot of rumors have Detroit at the top of the list.
User avatar VeloCity
Veteran

18 May 2012 05:20

go kings there i jinxed it
User avatar Boeing

19 May 2012 02:15

canucks are the only team to beat the canucks in the playoffs, hats off to grande vancouver
semi literate sausige
User avatar palmerq

20 May 2012 04:05

Tortorella is trying to settle a score with Bettman.
His post-game press conferences are a passive aggressive response to being fined for speaking his mind and getting fined by the league.
He will get away with it as long as the team wins. The vultures will be out when the Rangers miss the playoffs.
User avatar the delgados

21 May 2012 00:43

Almost forgot, but this thread isn't limited to NHL, is it??? ;);)

Fetisoff

21 May 2012 00:46

it were funny listening to the guys on the radio give radulov and the other fellow such a hard time but a couple of weeks later defend getzlaf for doing pretty much the same thing in the world championship :S poor old russian get a bit of abuse here I think..
semi literate sausige
User avatar palmerq

21 May 2012 01:56

palmerq wrote:it were funny listening to the guys on the radio give radulov and the other fellow such a hard time but a couple of weeks later defend getzlaf for doing pretty much the same thing in the world championship :S poor old russian get a bit of abuse here I think..

Give them such hard time for what???
Fetisoff

21 May 2012 15:20

Fetisoff wrote:Almost forgot, but this thread isn't limited to NHL, is it??? ;);)

Yep, congrats to the Russians. And when Semin is motivated and allowed to play his game, he's one of the best in the world. The Caps imo made a big mistake in trying to reign in Ovechkin and Semin - they were drafted for their scoring ability, don't try and turn them into Selke players.

And Semin on the wing with Datsyuk at center...wow. Wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Semin signs with Detroit as soon as free agency kicks in.

And when did Norway turn into a mini-powerhouse? They almost matched Sweden, the Czechs, and Russia, and absolutely steamrolled Germany.
User avatar VeloCity
Veteran

21 May 2012 15:44

VeloCity wrote:Yep, congrats to the Russians. And when Semin is motivated and allowed to play his game, he's one of the best in the world. The Caps imo made a big mistake in trying to reign in Ovechkin and Semin - they were drafted for their scoring ability, don't try and turn them into Selke players.

And Semin on the wing with Datsyuk at center...wow. Wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Semin signs with Detroit as soon as free agency kicks in.

And when did Norway turn into a mini-powerhouse? They almost matched Sweden, the Czechs, and Russia, and absolutely steamrolled Germany.

I'd rather see Datsyuk go to Washington :D What a team that would be. Semin's (and when I say Semin this basically means Semin and Ovechkin from here on) biggest problem on defense seems to be stupid giveaways at the wrong time, so by forcing them to play more defensive style, if anything he will be making more mistakes, because he's forced to play out of his element. Bilyaletdinov understands that, so he put them on a line with a center who's naturally gifted in a defensive aspect of the game, so all three can basically play their game. Hopefully Washington coaches will get it too.

Anyway, Evgeny Kuznetsov should be joining the team for next season, as when drafted he asked for two more years in the K, before moving to NHL, which have now passed. With him on the squad, I'm hoping Washington will go back to more run-and-gun offense, which if nothing else, is at least exciting to watch.

As for Norway, this might have been a total shock for some people, but for those who follow European hockey leagues, this was not such a shock, Norway has slowly been building up quite a nice team there. Thorensen has been an absolute monster in the KHL the last 3 years, Skroder is a former Swedish league scoring champ. Their goaltending is rather solid, with Haugen a sure started in the KHL next year.
Fetisoff

22 May 2012 00:16

icebreaker wrote:The best hockey tournament of the year is underway right now ...

http://www.mastercardmemorialcup.ca/

Nielsa

22 May 2012 00:34

2-0 for the devils after 14 minutes, great news...
semi literate sausige
User avatar palmerq

26 May 2012 15:58

devils are in the final now, I approve I think kovalchuk is coming up for the top scorer in the playoffs although he has had a lot more games to get this.. I hope the devils win but la do seem very hard to beat
semi literate sausige
User avatar palmerq

26 May 2012 16:01

LA have to be favourites - they have played a fraction of the Games that NJ have played.

I can't believe Willie Mitchell might win a Cup - what a strange World we live in. :)

T
[color="White"]...[/color]
"Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill" - Fausto Coppi
User avatar 180mmCrank

31 May 2012 09:15

give it up for the KINGS! took it to NJ for the first game, Devils responded, and LA put it away in overtime. Stanley Cup at it finest.
Kings up 1-0 with game 2 also in NJ
Go LA, beat New Jersey!

long live Zesdaagse!
User avatar CobbleStoner

05 Jun 2012 20:13

Can't remember a team looking as dominant as the Kings have - 15-2 record up til now, with a very good shot at going 16-2 for the playoffs, and with (so far) a total of 22 GA in 17 games. Not bad for an 8th-ranked team :)
User avatar VeloCity
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General