Register

Hockey

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

24 Apr 2012 21:06

Luongo for Lecavalier. Kesler moves back to wing like when he played with Sundin. ;)
Nielsa

25 Apr 2012 01:16

Luongo's contract is realistically only 6 years, after that his salary diminishes drastically and he'll be too old to play anyway. It is one of those contracts where extra years at low salary are tacked on to reduce the amount applied to the salary cap in each year (5.3 M when his salary is 6.7 M). Still, a big contract for a 33 yr old, but one that a few teams desperate to improve (Tampa & Toronto) might want to take on.
User avatar pedaling squares

25 Apr 2012 04:05

@180mm: Good choice on Coldplay. ;)

@180mm & Squares: Too bad the Nucks went out so quickly. They are my favorite pro hockey team and rank right up there with my Seattle Seahawks, who I suffered along with and supported when their won/lost record was like 4-fer-infinity (or so it seemed). I am not what you'd call a fair weather fan. So my kid has some admitted great memories watching the Hawks play at home. Yours will to no doubt. If Luongo goes though, I'll miss him in the lineup like I missed Hasselbeck this year.
Attitude is everything. What you think is in actions, actions result in habits, habits develop character, and character develops your future.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

25 Apr 2012 15:03

pedaling squares wrote:Luongo's contract is realistically only 6 years, after that his salary diminishes drastically and he'll be too old to play anyway. It is one of those contracts where extra years at low salary are tacked on to reduce the amount applied to the salary cap in each year (5.3 M when his salary is 6.7 M). Still, a big contract for a 33 yr old, but one that a few teams desperate to improve (Tampa & Toronto) might want to take on.
Good point. Can't see him in Toronto, though - if he had problems with the pressures of playing in Vancouver, it'll be double in Toronto. Tampa is probably his most likely destination, for both on and off ice reasons.

Not to play homer, but it occurred to me that the Caps might also be a good destination for Luongo, as a replacement for Vokoun (who's a UFA at the end of the season and unlikely to be re-signed). They've got Neuvie and Holtby, but neither of them are quite ready for prime-time just yet (and there's some question as to whether Neuvie will ever be a starter), and the Caps have quite a selection of draft picks and prospects that they can offer in return without having to touch the core, so win-win for both teams. I don't know how much cap space the Caps have - probably mean having to give up a salary somewhere, but there's a chance they're going to lose Semin and Wideman to free agency and I'm thinking that there's a few others who won't be returning next season, so I think they'd be able to fit Luongo's salary.
User avatar VeloCity
Veteran

26 Apr 2012 02:05

What an absolutely pathetic penalty call that was. Is this the same refereeing crew as in game one of PIT-PHI series by any chance??? :mad::mad::mad:

EDIT: WELL, **** you suck on that, refs
Fetisoff

26 Apr 2012 02:37

Mwahahah. Go Caps! I have a Dale Hunter player card somewhere in my cupboards...
Nielsa

26 Apr 2012 03:02

Recognize b!tches!

Caps win. Caps win. Theeeeeeeeee Caps win.
User avatar Moose McKnuckles
Veteran

26 Apr 2012 03:09

Moose McKnuckles wrote:Recognize b!tches!

I approve this message.
User avatar Bala Verde
Veteran

26 Apr 2012 03:16

So that means the best player of today (Ovechkin) is still alive? Hope he´ll prevail...
User avatar FoxxyBrown1111
Veteran

26 Apr 2012 04:47

Moose McKnuckles wrote:Recognize b!tches!

Glad that the Caps won but happier that the Bruins were knocked out. There's just something about these Bruins that I can't stand.

Interesting night tomorrow - two game 7s. Be almost as happy to see the Sens upset the Rangers.

And if there were any lingering doubt, Luongo's days in Van are done:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=394290

And apparently Toronto is on that list.
User avatar VeloCity
Veteran

26 Apr 2012 12:30

VeloCity wrote:
And if there were any lingering doubt, Luongo's days in Van are done:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=394290

And apparently Toronto is on that list.

Well, if that's the move he is going to make, then his career is as good as over now. I wonder how much cap room the Leafs have though, I mean they've recently signed Mihail Goddamn Grabovski to 5.5 mil/year contract ffs.

BTW this is probably my favourite (other than the OT goal) moment of the whole BOS-WAS game. This Holtby kid is something else, I think he has a real chance to be the next great one in the NHL. I'm talking Roy - Brodeaur kinda great
Fetisoff

26 Apr 2012 19:30

Word on the street is that Luongo has formally requested a trade.

Some speculation as to his possible destination (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=44075&blogger_id=1 From Eklund at HB who is notoriously wrong about nearly everything, so take it with a grain of salt):

"*Florida. Yes Ironic as it might be, and depending on what happens two nights from now...
*Tampa. A team who truly could benefit from Luongo's game because there was a time when Luongo was lights out when he got tons of shots on him...something he hasn't seen in Vancouver.
*Chicago. Crawford is a strong goalie, but not the answer. However, I can't imagine Vancouver moving Luongo to the hated Hawks unless they were blown away by the offer.
*NJ. Yes, NJ. I talked to a source at length yesterday about this. You heard it here first.
*Toronto. Something you didn't hear here first is Luongo tied to the Leafs. However, while I include them on this early list I truly don't buy it. I am reporting a rumor here, but talking to my sources I trust I would say the Leafs are looking elsewhere.
*Detroit. There is not a team in the NHL who will be more interesting this summer or more active than the Wings. Promise you that. Howard has been good at times, but questions remain.
*Ottawa. Hard to look at right now with Anderson standing on his head, but Luongo has some major fans in high places in Ottawa.
*Washington. Same story here with Holtby. If the Caps lose game 7 there could be major changes I am told...and the Canucks may get blown away by the Caps in need of a major splash as well."

I would add maybe Columbus to that list as part of a package for Rick Nash perhaps? The Nucks were rumored to be interested before the trade deadline, adding Luongo to the mix could be the seller for the Jackets. Course, entirely dependent on which teams are on Luongo's list.
User avatar VeloCity
Veteran

26 Apr 2012 23:45

Go Caps!:cool:

Very impressed by the goalie. Not a serious hockey fan, just a play-off dabbler.;)
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

27 Apr 2012 02:05

In the paper today it looks like toronto is a very possible destination apprently they have one of his old coaches who luongo is very fond of and the shortlist that luongo will present to the canucks will include toronto on it :S so maybe he is off there.. Heard that schneider might be getting offered around 4 million :S I am not so sure this is a good idea, he seems pretty good but he has had his moments and he seems to be being potrayed as some form of saviour, I have a feeling cory might get eaten alive by the press and fans quite quickly, hopefully not though
semi literate sausige
User avatar palmerq

27 Apr 2012 03:19

Amsterhammer wrote:Go Caps!:cool:

Very impressed by the goalie. Not a serious hockey fan, just a play-off dabbler.;)

He's a real character. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAI8LVonLCs

The stare with the crossed arms. Love it.
Nielsa

27 Apr 2012 14:31

Nielsa wrote:He's a real character. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAI8LVonLCs

The stare with the crossed arms. Love it.
Apparently during commercial breaks he likes to take his water bottle and hold it upside down in front of him and watch the water drip from the bottle. Goalies are a weird bunch.
User avatar VeloCity
Veteran

06 May 2012 23:26

St.Louis :eek:
Nielsa

07 May 2012 02:33

devils and phoenix leading 3-1 in the series I am happy, I hope they are in the stanely cup final but i think LA are going to win it by the look of things 4-0 v saint louis and beating the canucks easily :S hats off to them
semi literate sausige
User avatar palmerq

12 May 2012 22:16

Does anyone think Washington have a chance today?
Missed going to a party just to watch this.
Hoping for another mad-man performance from Holtby.
Either way, thinking the game will be good, and hoping for Capitals to come though with a win
Fetisoff

13 May 2012 21:11

Defence rules today's game. Not an offensive team left in the mix. LA - NY would be the NHL's wet dream, they wouldn't care what kind of boring hockey was on display so long as the two biggest markets in the continent went head to head.

Anyone else getting tired of Tortorella's antics? And he had the nerve to call another organization arrogant.
User avatar pedaling squares

PreviousNext

Return to General