Register

Hockey

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

01 May 2011 17:04

pedaling squares wrote:Typical Roberto Luongo... he stopped all the difficult shots but took his eye and mind off the puck for one second. They could/should have gone to Nashville with a 2-0 lead and with 0 goals Nashville would have had some doubts in their minds. Now it's anyone's series. I guess that's better for we fans though. Kesler & Burrows are killing the Predators, if the Sedin line can roll Nashville is in trouble. I know I already said this but, damn that Pekka Rinne is a good 'tender. Huge too, like 6'5" or something.

ya, I didn't watch much of Luong during the season, but he was brilliant in game 3 vs the Blackhawks. Then got almost embarrassed the next 3 games when the Bhawks tied that series.

Anyway, I'm pulling for the Canucks!
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

02 May 2011 04:45

pedaling squares wrote:And of course I could easily go 0 for 4 here!

It's early, but that might be the only part of my prediction post that I got right!
User avatar pedaling squares

02 May 2011 09:57

Terrific, gritty win for SJ over Detroit. Me thinks they needed that 2-0 lead heading back to Detroit, as this series very well could be 2-2 after game 4.

Wow, Washington sure has dug themselves a hole to get out of!
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

03 May 2011 11:00

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Terrific, gritty win for SJ over Detroit. Me thinks they needed that 2-0 lead heading back to Detroit, as this series very well could be 2-2 after game 4.

Wow, Washington sure has dug themselves a hole to get out of!

Yea...but home ice means nothing anymore lol!! I could see them even up the series..but who knows. BTW..how many high sticks does St. Louis have to take..I know he is short but jeez! The refs need to start calling those.

On another note...I think Philly is done! They needed the second game and couldn't close it out. Came out strong...but Boston remained composed and took the OT win.
User avatar TRDean

03 May 2011 13:32

icebreaker wrote:The ref'ing in all of the playoff games so far has been a disgrace.

Very true...too many ticky tack calls...then missing the obvious. I've been enjoying the games however.
User avatar TRDean

03 May 2011 20:17

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Wow, Washington sure has dug themselves a hole to get out of!
I'm a Caps fan - I live in DC - but I have little faith in them. They just don't seem to be a very "solid" team - they can be absolutely amazing one night and then completely miserable the next.

Boston, they look like they're really coming together at just the right time. Might be their year.

But whatever happens, just please don't let it be a Nashville-Tampa Bay final.
User avatar VeloCity
Veteran

03 May 2011 21:07

Alex Chokevechkin big Russian who like to make party.
He no like hockey in May.
User avatar the delgados

04 May 2011 06:20

the delgados wrote:Alex Chokevechkin big Russian who like to make party.
He no like hockey in May.

Yeah, his style has been far more effective in the regular season than in the big games. BUT I have to say that he was by far the most dangerous and effective player on the ice today. His linemates however.... they could be on a milk carton.

07 May 2011 03:15

After so many close series in the opening round, to see this kind of lopsided wins is surprising. Washington, the 1 seed getting completely whipped by TB. I figured Boston would beat Philly, but sweep? And SJ winning the first three games against Detroit? If there was a series we thought might be an upset, it was Vancouver, but they are up 3-1 on Nashville.

You guys are more expert than me, but I'm thinking a San Jose-Boston final would be most interesting.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

07 May 2011 03:21

Sad to see my Caps get the gate so quickly. Hopefully they will not make drastic changes.
They do play entertaining hockey during the regular season.
I see a Vancouver v Boston final.:eek:
User avatar knewcleardaze

07 May 2011 15:36

knewcleardaze wrote:Sad to see my Caps get the gate so quickly. Hopefully they will not make drastic changes.
They do play entertaining hockey during the regular season.
I see a Vancouver v Boston final.:eek:

Buh-bye, Bruce.

Hello Dale Hunter
User avatar the delgados

07 May 2011 15:47

the delgados wrote:Buh-bye, Bruce.

Hello Dale Hunter

Buh-bye Alex Semin if they can find a team stupid enough to pay $6.7 million for a floater who disappears when the regular season ends.

07 May 2011 16:18

pedaling squares wrote:Buh-bye Alex Semin if they can find a team stupid enough to pay $6.7 million for a floater who disappears when the regular season ends.

Further illustration of why they need someone who can motivate players once the paycheques stop rolling in.

Did you see the 24/7 series? Boudreau sounded like a half-wit. He's gone.

Plus, they should have picked up Roloson before the Tampas.
User avatar the delgados

07 May 2011 16:37

icebreaker wrote:Any luck at all, Vancouver closes out Nashville tonight - dear lord what a boring team to watch play hockey - or whatever they are doing.

SJS closes out DTW.

Vancouver / San Jose will be an interesting series to watch.

re Nashville: Agreed. But I've got such a soft spot for those guys. It's amazing how they've managed to compete on a shoe-string budget with a bunch of no-names.

I also get a huge kick out of listening to folks with a southern drawl talk hockey.
User avatar the delgados

07 May 2011 21:19

the delgados wrote:Did you see the 24/7 series? Boudreau sounded like a half-wit.

Some of it. What I saw was an excellent look at the game. Yes, he came across like a twit. He strikes me as the kind of coach who can motivate a team for the first couple of years but whose schtick wears off thereafter. It sounds like the owner would cut him but the GM is loyal to the guy he selected. Loyalty is admirable, but maybe McPhee needs to look out for his own backside and cut Boudreau loose.

icebreaker wrote:Vancouver / San Jose will be an interesting series to watch.

That would make for a great matchup. Of course I thought Boston/Philly would be good too, so my credibility here is shot. [SIZE="1"]Hey, I didn't know that Pronger and Carter were that badly hurt...[/SIZE]

icebreaker wrote:Only reason I have cheered for Nashville up to now is that I know big bad Weber.

What a great hockey player. I don't mind seeing him in a Predators jersey, but I sure loved seeing him in red and white last February.

Damn you RDV4ROUBAIX!

13 May 2011 04:46

I promised myself awhile ago that I wouldn't even look in this thread. I spend too much time on the forum as it is, and I've got way too much Ol' Skool trivia to throw in here if I'm not careful (must...pace...myself).

But here I am. I was hoping to see Detroit and Boston face each other for the Stanley Cup this year. It's hard to beat a classic, Original Six match-up. Ah well.

Personal hockey trivia:
Grew up with American/Canadian dual citizenship.
Played as kid up through teen years.
Recently discovered that my grandfather was captain of the Queen’s University hockey team in Kingston, Ontario (about a hundred years ago).

The first pro game I went to was '77-'78 season watching Gordie Howe play alongside his two sons Mark & Marty in the WHA.
Gordie led the team in scoring that year. He was 50-years-old! :eek:

Helmets were optional back then, and Gordie definitely wasn't sportin' one.

With respect to RDV4ROUBAIX (because of his origin) and Boeing (because of his recent avatar)...

The other guys on that same team (well, two of them at least!)?

Like I said: Ol' Skool!

User avatar Granville57

13 May 2011 18:44

Cool memories. 15 goals in the NHL as a 51 yr old, playing in five decades (6 if you count the 1 IHL shift he played in 1997 as a 70 yr old!), father of the "Gordie Howe hat trick", and one of the toughest SOB's of any era... what an honour to have seen him play.

13 May 2011 18:48

That is ol' skool! Thanks for sharing.

Meanwhile, I'm still hoping for a Boston-San Jose final. Though I don't know if the Sharks can get past Vancouver and their offense.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

13 May 2011 19:37

I think the Sharks are going to have trouble offensively against the Canucks, especially on the Sharks powerplay because of the penalty killing ability of the Canucks. The Sharks powerplay didn't have much sting against Detroit, and Detroits penalty killing in the series vs the Sharks was not nearly as good as Vancouver can be.

We'll see though.... I could be wrongo if Luongo is not on.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

13 May 2011 20:12

The Sharks need to shoot from behind the goal line, it's the easiest way to beat Luongo. This could be a great series. Both teams have star players, both can play a physical game, both have good tenders. The Canucks have better special teams and way more depth in all positions. So I'm picking them, but anything goes in the post-season. Home team bias included free of charge.

PreviousNext

Return to General