Register

The 2018 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick

02 Oct 2018 15:09

When Alejandro won I knew I'd have a good week here. :)
User avatar Koronin

02 Oct 2018 16:03

With Bala and Ala I thought I'd climb far more than I did this week. I scored more than Koronin, but only moved up 4 places to her 8. Having said that, 8th overall on the week isn't bad. I had wanted to be in the top half of the table by season's end so I'm at least heading in the right direction.
User avatar armchairclimber

Re: The 2018 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

02 Oct 2018 16:53

Decent week for me. I'm kinda in no man's land between 4th and 6th with a few hundred points buffer on both sides. I guess theoretically I could still move a few spots but at this rate I expect to at least stay in the top 10 (although ofc still everything can happen) and as that has been my goal I'm happy.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

02 Oct 2018 18:24

Thanks for the update!

12 points closer now with Cees Bol in Binche. :D

But everything can and will still happen. Ruvu also has a lot of potential scorers for the coming races.
User avatar Squire

02 Oct 2018 18:43

Kwiatkowski into profit. Well, who'd've thought that after the Ardennes were over? Valverde would've been the better option in hindsight for the amount of points but since he was a rare pick I am still grateful he got more points than last year!
User avatar Akuryo

Re:

03 Oct 2018 01:51

Akuryo wrote:Kwiatkowski into profit. Well, who'd've thought that after the Ardennes were over? Valverde would've been the better option in hindsight for the amount of points but since he was a rare pick I am still grateful he got more points than last year!

Well remember before the season started no one really knew how good Valverde would be this year when he came back from the injury. So those of us that took him, did take a chance and I think are mostly also big fans of his.
User avatar Koronin

Re: Re:

05 Oct 2018 12:10

fauniera wrote:
Kazistuta wrote:Image

This. :D

Thank you skidmark.

To Valverde or not to Valverde, that is the question. I have a team with him and one without, now i just have to decide...

Hope you picked Valverde :D

This looks like fun. I might join up for this next season.
User avatar gregrowlerson

05 Oct 2018 12:50

This game can never get enough Klödist participants, Greg :D A pity I never got to pick the great Andreas for the CQ game.

So Valverde turned out to be a good, but not essential pick. And picking him meant that you probably missed out on even better picks like Alaphilippe and Thomas, because Lopez and Chaves had higher priority for most players.
I wonder how fauniera's Valverde-less team would've done. It probably would've needed Geraint Thomas in order to do significantly better.
User avatar Squire

05 Oct 2018 15:44

My Valverde-less team also didn't include Thomas, if i remember correctly.

Track rider who can't climb, why would i take him? :D
User avatar fauniera

Re:

07 Oct 2018 00:51

Squire wrote:This game can never get enough Klödist participants, Greg :D A pity I never got to pick the great Andreas for the CQ game.

So Valverde turned out to be a good, but not essential pick. And picking him meant that you probably missed out on even better picks like Alaphilippe and Thomas, because Lopez and Chaves had higher priority for most players.
I wonder how fauniera's Valverde-less team would've done. It probably would've needed Geraint Thomas in order to do significantly better.

Yeah, he would have been very good to have had in the game in 2011!

A weird question: Do we also have a game on here - or elsewhere - where everyone's team is picked via a draft system? So that you cannot have the same rider as someone else?

Obviously this sort of a game would be restricted to only 22 teams or so, but I'm interested to hear if there is such a game. I think that sort of stuff is pretty popular in other sports, like NBA basketball.

If we did it on here then we would want to make it realistic, so one or a few teams would need to have much larger budgets than the rest :D
User avatar gregrowlerson

07 Oct 2018 14:40

User avatar Squire

09 Oct 2018 04:58

Update #39: Ruvu75 puts a stamp on the season

It was the in-between week, sandwiched by the Worlds and Lombardia, after which there are a few trickle-off races left in the season, but it's about the time where things can really tighten up or be put out of reach. Let's see how it went, shall we?

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 MADRAZO 587
2 ruvu75 546
3 Geraint Too Fast 479
4 GP Blanco 420
5 scrooll07 397

MADRAZO takes the win this week with a very respectable-for-a-non-WT-week 587 points, on the back of two rare picks winning 1.HC races in Walscheid (9 teams) and SK Andersen (11 teams); as well, Woods, Terprstra, Van Poppel, Coquard and Sbaragli help out with some more points. In second is - yep - overall leader ruvu75, with a clutch week at the most opportune time. Andersen gets a bunch of points but almost as many come from Valentin Madouas (134 this week), who, at a cost of 33 and a season total of 561, is a gem for the 4 teams that picked him. Geraint Too Fast continues a remarkable run, capping a first two weeks ago and second last week with a complete set of podium places, finishing third with Andersen and still more points from Moscon and Bardet (and 32 more from that Milan Menten fellow).

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team Up/down
1 Geraint Too Fast (+7)
1 18-Valve. (pithy) (+7)
1 GP Blanco (+7)
1 torcia_86 (+7)
1 Eric10 (+7)

It's too late in the season for much change in the standings, so everyone ties for first! Well, no, just these five teams tied for first, but they're all moving up.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 Squire 240
2 Eric10 224
3 archieboy 221
4 Geraint Too Fast 212
5 greenedge 203

There is some movement at the top here - Eric10 scores 6 points to leapfrog archieboy into 2nd place and draw a bit closer to Squire's lead, and GTF's aforementioned fantastic three-week run sees their team leap into the top 5. All members of the top 5 are within a weekly win of the overall title.

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (-) ruvu75 15923
2 (-) Squire 15512
3 (-) TheArt 14833
4 (-) trackstand 14786
5 (-) Gigs_98 14159
6 (-) MADRAZO 14123
7 (+2) Eyeballs Out 13770
8 (-) kabete 13647
9 (-2) LosBrolin 13640
10 (+1) Total Package 13588

The placings haven't changed much but the underlying numbers are telling. If you read the weekly top scorers, you'll likely have intuited that the overall leader of the game getting 2nd on the week is likely to be a bad sign for everyone else. Indeed, ruvu75 outscores their only realistic competitor - Squire - 546-272 this week. This puts the lead, at this late in the season, for all intents and purposes out of reach. Squire would need something like Mike Woods winning Milano-Torino and Il Lombardia, and then some luck on top of that. Still mathematically possible, but as unlikely as Chris Froome's chances of winning the Giro going into stage 19. The battle for the last podium spot stays close, with trackstand gaining 16 points on TheArt to pull within 50. MADRAZO's weekly win doesn't gain them a single spot (interestingly, I wonder if this is the first time that the top 2 weekly scorers didn't move up at all in the standings) but has brought them within 40 points of a top 5. Further down, Total Package moves back into the top 10 while Wallenquist falls out.

Let's see what the rest of the Italian races and Turkey have to offer us!

spreadsheet at dropbox
skidmark

09 Oct 2018 19:11

Thanks for another great update. Dropped one place, even though I had Kragh Andersen. But then again, I had nothing much else.
Today I had ten starters in Tre Valli Varesine, and thought I could get closer to the top twenty I am aimingfor (only 200 points ahead). The race gave me 37 points. I'm not impressed by my team today.
User avatar DJ Sprtsch

10 Oct 2018 00:40

Thanks for the update. I lost one spot, not bad. I had Terpstra and Madouas who did well this week, but that was it (well they scared all but 5 points for me this week, those other 5 points were from Sutterlin whom I expected more from this year). The rest of my team either didn't race or didn't do anything. One conclusion for next year's team: Terpstra is going to be way too expensive and no way he has this good of a season next year.
User avatar Koronin

11 Oct 2018 15:12

Thanks for the update Skidmark!

@Squire in terms of picking Geraint and Alaphilippe they weren't that much better picks than Lopez- they got more profits but Lopez got a higher % return than either of the other two and was probably essential to be up there challenging (as you know of course).

@Gregrowlerson, an idea for a game like that with a draft would be good, it could even be adjusted to the CQ format to ensure not going over 7500 or whatever parameters (team size/ how many play, or just the points total at the end of the year) as you'd want. I think even basing it off the WT rankings (forcing teams to pick from the top 22 or however many riders match up with teams then allowing for free rein as to who is picked) could work.
greenedge
Veteran

16 Oct 2018 04:50

Just a quick note to say that I won't be able to get to an update for a day or two yet this week - thanks for your patience, I'm just on the road with little time/internet.
skidmark

16 Oct 2018 23:03

Skidmark, not a problem.
User avatar Koronin

22 Oct 2018 03:22

Update #40: The Leaves Have Fallen

(sorry for the delay in update - I was on a trip and had a lot to catch up on when I returned home. I know there are only a few updates left but I'll try to get 'em all out by the Tuesday of the week)

And with that, the season has come to a close for many, leaving only a small tailing off of post-Lombardia races, mostly several time zones to the east of Europe. It's been a fun game this year as always, and the die has been mostly cast in the overall for several weeks despite some 'well if this happens...' thinking, but truly in terms of points, it's all but over by now. Let's see how folks fared in the last Monumental week of the season.

This Week's Top Scorers

Rank Team Points this week
1 minessa 660
2 ansimi 649
3 LaFlorecita 640
4 Guilherme Ribero 617
5 Kryvo 605

minessa takes top spot on the week with a very respectable 660 points! Those points come from a variety of sources, with their only scorer over 100 points being World Champion Alejandro Valverde, who scored 137. But minessa had a great breadth of talent on their team, getting over 80 points from Lopez, Senechal, Reichenbach and Kennaugh, as well as a few dozen from some other riders. ansimi makes it pretty close, finishing 11 points back sans Valverde but with Mike Woods, Hodeg, Restrepo and popular picks Lopez and Kennaugh doing quite well. LaFlorecita gets a mention for 3rd on the week, not far behind the other two. Her week is headlined by 90 points from Fabio Felline in a decent end to his completely listless season.

This Week's High Movers

Rank Team Up/down
1 minessa (+9)
2 LaFlorecita (+7)
2 ansimi (+7)
2 Kryvo (+7)
5 Maaaaaaaarten (+6)

minessa takes this one too, with the rest of the other podium tied for second, plus Kryvo who got 5th in the other ranking.

Green Jersey Competition

Rank Team Total
1 Squire 240
2 Eric10 224
3 archieboy 221
4 Kryvo 213
5 Geraint Too Fast 212
6 greenedge 203

I've included the top 6 here as they are all within a weekly win (45 points) of the top spot... Kryvo's 20 points on the week vault them into the top 5. At this point of the season, things are pretty set and Squire's spot looks good, but you never know who might have a good week at the end of things (and since I'm updating after the week's already pretty much done, I'll tell you that a quick look at the top 6 shows that GTF in fact has Moscon, so we shall see how that plays out this week...)

Top 10 Overall

Rank Up/down Team Points
1 (-) ruvu75 16303
2 (-) Squire 15947
3 (-) TheArt 15405
4 (-) trackstand 15248
5 (+1) MADRAZO 14549
6 (-1) Gigs_98 14519
7 (+3) Total Package 14146
8 (-) kabete 14059
9 (-2) Eyeballs Out 13991
10 (+7) Kryvo 13902

A familiar refrain - no movement among the top 4. Squire pulls back 55 points on ruvu, but at this point there are still 350+ points to make up, and not enough weeks to do it at that pace. trackstand had been trending upwards, but TheArt comes back with a solid week to gain 110 on trackstand and effectively seal up the final podium spot. A bit lower, things jostle around a bit with MADRAZO gaining a spot to top 5, and Kryvo's great week sees them leap into the top 10 at the expense of LosBrolin, who falls 4 to 13th overall.

spreadsheet at dropbox
skidmark

22 Oct 2018 14:04

The season may almost be over, but some minor fights are still on - such as mine for the top 10 placing. I am currently 11th, 22 points behind 10th, and initially I was super happy finding out that points for Gesink's 7th place in Japan are not yet included and so in the next update I should be able to change places with 10th placed Kryvo. Only to find out that Moscon's points from China are not included either and 12th placed GP Blanco has Moscon in his team...

Oh well, so good-bye top 10. I just hope that Brenton Jones will not score a lot of points in Tour of Hainan. Of course I do not have him but I was very close to including him so I don't want to be finding out that he could eventually have been my top 10 saviour.

Thanks for the update and congratulation to all whose winning places are already cemented!
PeterB

22 Oct 2018 20:11

Thank you skidmark.

With my first attempt at this game and finishing mid-pack, I'll happily take that.

Amazingly right at the end of the season I had 1 right just barely manage to get into positive territory with points. Congrats to Neilson Powless on getting into positive numbers right at the end of the season.

My best picks for the season are Hodeg, Madouas, Craddock and Seigle based on percentages and on sheer number of points Valverde and Terpstra.
User avatar Koronin

PreviousNext

Return to Games and Fantasy Cycling