Register

Race Design Challenge

Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick

Re: Race Design Challenge

17 Aug 2015 13:56

What's better place to start 100th Giro than capital of Italy?

The race will kick out with prologue, which has distance of 5.5 kilometres. It may sound short, but and while it doesn't have major difficulties profile-wise, it has multiple tight corners and narrow streets. Another difficulty factor is cobblestones which will be featured during the stage.

The route will go past several important sights of Rome. The start is next to Colosseum and the finish next to Pantheon. In-between, Circo Massimo, Piazza Venezia and Fontana di Trevi will be passed.

Stage 2: viewtopic.php?p=1797706#p1797706
Stage 3: viewtopic.php?p=1798545#p1798545
Stage 4: viewtopic.php?p=1799440#p1799440
Stage 5: viewtopic.php?p=1801137#p1801137
Stage 6: viewtopic.php?p=1802248#p1802248
Stage 7: viewtopic.php?p=1803611#p1803611
Stage 8: viewtopic.php?p=1805110#p1805110
Stage 9: viewtopic.php?p=1806813#p1806813
---REST DAY---
Stage 10: viewtopic.php?p=1808966#p1808966
Stage 11: viewtopic.php?p=1809710#p1809710
Stage 12: viewtopic.php?p=1811452#p1811452
Stage 13: viewtopic.php?p=1813469#p1813469
Stage 14: viewtopic.php?p=1815785#p1815785
Stage 15: viewtopic.php?p=1816942#p1816942
---REST DAY---
Stage 16: viewtopic.php?p=1818068#p1818068
Stage 17: viewtopic.php?p=1818550#p1818550
Stage 18: viewtopic.php?p=1819428#p1819428
Stage 19: viewtopic.php?p=1820747#p1820747
Stage 20: viewtopic.php?p=1821587#p1821587
Stage 21: viewtopic.php?p=1823798#p1823798
Last edited by Finn84 on 28 Sep 2015 18:54, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar Finn84

17 Aug 2015 13:57

Whats the length Billie?
User avatar lemon cheese cake

Re:

17 Aug 2015 14:23

lemon cheese cake wrote:Whats the length Billie?

5 km. You can see it underneath the profile. Will add it in the text aswell
User avatar Billie

17 Aug 2015 14:26

@lemon cheese cake

I got lazy and basically picked the first photo I found. I spent a lot longer looking for pictures of bodybuilders and pastries.
barmaher

17 Aug 2015 15:15

Some great first stages so far. I love it!
barmaher

17 Aug 2015 17:15

I can tell that my route has certain theme regarding Giro/Italian cycling but I'm not going to reveal until stage 6 (7th day of competition because of prologue) which is the first with that.
User avatar Finn84

17 Aug 2015 17:27

A bit like Gigs_98, I have had a bit of inspiration taken from the 1909 first ever Giro d'Italia. However, my tribute to this route is slightly less direct than theirs, as I will be including all of the original host cities at some point in the route, but not in order nor directly between them - a bit like the centenary Tour de France, but not the 100th edition. Zomegnan didn't do this for the centenary Giro, so we'll do it for this instead.

And we open up with a very unique feature and something that's pretty rare: a prologue MTT.

Prologue: Bologna - Bologna San Luca, 2,2km

Though the presentations will likely be in the centre of Bologna on the Friday night, on the Saturday the riders will set off to the west of the city, which was one of the original Giro hosts, and set off from Stadio Renato dall'Ara with its iconic architecture.

Seating up to 38000, the stadium (which was built in the 20s, though Bologna's football team was, like the Giro, founded in 1909) serves as the perfect spot for a Grand Départ, with a huge crowd to cheer the riders off the ramp - possibly with teams being set up in the stadium as well before heading to the ramp to give it a gladiatorial aspect. which will lead under the tower and out into Piazza della Pace, where the riders will turn right, before a quick right again through Arco del Meloncello and then turning left onto the steep wall that is the climb to San Luca.

The climb to the Madonna di San Luca is of course best known as the trademark climb of the Giro dell'Emilia one day race, which has traditionally been a Lombardia tune-up and features an illustrious list of winners. However, it also has Giro history, featuring on three occasions as a stage finish, won by Moreno Argentin in 1984 and Simon Gerrans from the break in 2009. Most famously though, it hosted - like today - a short MTT in 1956, which legendary Luxembourger Charly Gaul, the Angel of the Mountains, won, the second of three stage wins en route to his overall victory that year. Back then, the climb was two weeks into the race, but here it will make a pretty unique and interesting prologue... also meaning that the stage winner here could potentially take ALL the jerseys as of course a young rider winning here will take the maglia rosa, the lead in points, the only available GPM points. And the GC boys have to be prepared to fight early.

With 2km @ 10,8%, and a steepest ramp of 18%, the profile of this climb is enough to already bother some of the pure sprinters. No maglia rosa for them here.

User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

17 Aug 2015 21:17

So only 6 instead of 7 participants :(
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

17 Aug 2015 21:28

A rather late and not particularly confident entry joins the list; I nevertheless present to you my Giro d'Italia 2017. I'm away from Saturday until 3 September so I'll have to make use of Eshnar's very kind offer of posting the stages for that period while I'm away. I haven't quite finalised the route yet so I might not end up having enough time to cronoescalada and write up all the stages I have to send off before Saturday but hopefully I will and I can get this through to the end. I'm not quite perfectly happy with a few stages, and there is a bit too much pandering to the masses than I would like in a route, but I guess pandering to the masses is allowed in the 100th Giro! Anyway, enough OT rambling, let's get stuck in! It looks as if I'm not the only one to choose this as my Grand Partenza location:

Giro d'Italia Stage 1: Roma ITT 13km

It might seem a little unadventurous to start this special edition of the Giro in the nation's capital, but the Giro barely visits the splendid city of Rome these days, the last visit being the time-trial on the last day of the Giro 2009 where Denis Menchov infamously fell on the wet cobbles. The last time Rome was visited before that was for the Grande Partenza of the 2000 Giro, a short prologue won by Jan Hruška. Today's stage, a 13km time-trial, bears more similarities with the 2009 TT than the 2000. We start on the Via della Conciliazione, with the magnificent backdrop of the Piazza San Pietro and of course the famous Basilica behind the starting ramp, after all what more of a spectacle could you ask for to kick off the 100th Giro? However, the riders won't have much time to admire the scene as they negotiate the first couple of tight corners in what is, in between some long straight sections, a technical course. We cross the river Tiber for the first time and head into the outskirts of the gardens of the sumptuous Villa Borghese. Exiting the leafy parkland, a couple more tight turns are to be negotiated before we sweep through the Piazza della Repubblica and down the Via Nazionale before we get to the intermediate time-check at the majestic Piazza Venezia, with the hulking great big monument to Vittorio Emanuele, the Altare della Patria. The second half of the time-trial then runs up the Corso Vittorio Emanuele II and then we have a complicated technical section as we cross and re-cross the Tiber, the route appearing to double back on itself but there's a sort of traffic island to separate the two parts of the route, don't worry! Weaving our way through a combination of avenues and narrower streets, we end up near the Piazza Venezia again, this time with a side view of the Altare della Patria. From then on, we follow the course of the 2009 TT round the Circus Maximus to finish in front of the Colosseum à la Roma Maxima (except cronoescalada has decided that the Via dei Fori Imperiali is some sort of impassable footpath so we stop outside the Colosseum). Nevertheless it's a spectacular finish to the TT to mirror the equally spectacular beginning, and as well as taking in many of the sights of Rome, the course should be an interesting one - of a length long enough to open some reasonable gaps that will be important not only in the GC battle but also in jockeying for the maglia rosa in the opening week, and a mixture of technical sections and straight avenues to make sure all skills are needed to claim victory and don the first maglia rosa of the centenary Giro.

Piazza San Pietro:

Piazza Venezia:

Colosseo:

Library Route Overview
Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

Stage 4

Stage 5

Stage 6

Stage 7

Stage 8

Stage 9

Stage 10

Stage 11

Stage 12

Stage 13

Stage 14

Stage 15

Stage 16

Stage 17

Stage 18

Stage 19

Stage 20

Stage 21

Last edited by Stromeon on 28 Sep 2015 20:56, edited 7 times in total.
User avatar Stromeon

18 Aug 2015 09:23

I jumped the gun somewhat. I need to read the rules properly!
Last edited by barmaher on 18 Aug 2015 10:17, edited 2 times in total.
barmaher

18 Aug 2015 10:01

Barmaher, the day of stage 2 is tomorrow... today we give votes :p You may want to delete it and post it tomorrow.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

18 Aug 2015 10:16

Oh shite sorry.
barmaher

Re:

18 Aug 2015 10:23

barmaher wrote:Oh shite sorry.

no problem :p

To everybody:

Thanks to all 7 participants to enter :) Some of you were a surprise actually, when I said I expected 7 only 5 of the actual players were included in my counting. We could've been 9 then :o
Anyway, today I'll post the first jury votes. I'll first gather all of them via PM and then post them anonymously ;)
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

Re: Re:

18 Aug 2015 10:54

Eshnar wrote:

To everybody:

Thanks to all 7 participants to enter :) Some of you were a surprise actually, when I said I expected 7 only 5 of the actual players were included in my counting. We could've been 9 then :o
Anyway, today I'll post the first jury votes. I'll first gather all of them via PM and then post them anonymously ;)

Whom else did you expect?
Oh and I would have preferred it if every jury member would post their points on their own because that way they could also explain why they gave the points. That would be very interesting
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

18 Aug 2015 10:57

Gigs_98 wrote:
Eshnar wrote:

To everybody:

Oh and I would have preferred it if every jury member would post their points on their own because that way they could also explain why they gave the points. That would be very interesting

they can still do it... if they give me comments, I'll post them too. I just wanted them not to influence each other (I mean, if a judge starts giving votes the others would be influenced).
Plus, keep in mind that the point system I chose isn't meant to be fair by any means (it is extremely politically incorrect, on purpose :p ) So I want votes to be kept anonymous

edit: oh, and I expected Netserk and Lemon cheese cake to play too. They couldn't apparently.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

18 Aug 2015 11:43

Eshnar wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:
Eshnar wrote:

To everybody:

they can still do it... if they give me comments, I'll post them too. I just wanted them not to influence each other (I mean, if a judge starts giving votes the others would be influenced).
Plus, keep in mind that the point system I chose isn't meant to be fair by any means (it is extremely politically incorrect, on purpose :p ) So I want votes to be kept anonymous

edit: oh, and I expected Netserk and Lemon cheese cake to play too. They couldn't apparently.

I kept forgetting and when you said there was a week left, I thought it would be too rushed and quite bad.
User avatar lemon cheese cake

18 Aug 2015 23:52

Sorry for the delay (already :D ), I'll post the votes tomorrow when I wake up. In the meantime, you can post your stage 2.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

19 Aug 2015 09:14

Good morning
100th GIRO D'ITALIA stage 2: Verona - Padova
While the first stage was pretty open between sprinters and attackers this one should go the fastest men in the peloton Thats because although there are 4 categorized climbs, they get easier at the end of the stage and after the last climb there is a flat section to catch a possible break.
But lets start at the beginning. The start of the stage is in Verona so we get some more nice camera pics of the city. The first half of the stage is completely flat, so we wont get a lot of action neither in the bunch nor in the break, which should already exist. After a little bit more than 50 kilometers there is an intermediate sprint in Montagnana. Montagnana is a beautiful old town inside a big city wall. My route wont enter the town itself because a sprint would be very dangerous in the narrow center of the town. However to see the riders ride by the city wall will also cause some great pictures.
Shortly after we leave Montagnana the difficult part of the stage starts with the climb to Rovenello. If someone wants to crack a sprinter who is a very bad climber, this is the right place to do that. Although the majority of the climb is flat the first two km's are absolutely brutal, with an average gain of over 10% and slopes near 20%. The only problem for the attackers in this stage is that there is always a flat section after a climb. So the good climbers never get a chance to build a serious advantage over the peloton. However if some sprinters fade in Rovenello, some sprint teams might stop working, which is the biggest chance for a break. The second climb to Castelnuovo also has the steepest sections in the first half but they aren't almost as steep as the streets earlier. The last two climbs to Teolo and Rovolon are actually only two bumps which shouldnt cause any big problems for the sprinters. After the last descent there are still about 15 panflat kilometers to go before the riders arrive in Padova. These would probably be taken at a very high pace.
Padova is one of the oldest cities in Italy. A legend says that the city was found 1184 BC, by the Trojan Antenor. In fact we only know that in the fourth century BC a fishing village developed. One of the most famous sights of padova is the Prato della Valle a huge square inside the town. The stage will finish there.
Padova:
(Prato della Valle is the square in the background)
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

19 Aug 2015 09:14

Giro di Barmaher

Stage 2 Lamezia Terme to Rossano 226km

MapStage2.png
MapStage2.png (142.73 KiB) Viewed 1438 times

So for my next Giro stage, we are going to be having a little bit more fun, as viewers that is. The riders won’t enjoy this too much, I don’t think.

We are staying in Calabria. It will be hot, the roads will be lumpy, and there will be a new pink jersey holder by the end of the day. I don’t expect GC boys to come out to play today (apart from a few digs in the last 15km), but there will be real racing, and some favoured riders may show weakness. It will go to a break, and the rider who wins the stage (and likely takes pink) will need to be a good climber. 4900m of vertical gain today, will make for a leg breaker!

We will depart the city of Lamezia Terme, which is another historical city in the area. This city and its surroundings are crammed with archaeological relics from a long time ago, along with churches, towers and ruins showing the connection to Byzantine, Norman and Greek history.

At the start line, we can see the statue of Federico II of Sverva, who was king of Italy, Sicily, Jerusalem, Germany and Holy Roman Emperor in the 13th century. Indeed he established this area of Italy as the hub of a powerful and efficient nation state, the first of its kind. By many, he is considered the first modern ruler.

Riders won’t have too long to enjoy this, as they will be tackling the climb up to Acquabona from the get go. Indeed, as you can see, it is a very tough day.

GiroMillStage2 (2).png
GiroMillStage2 (2).png (139 KiB) Viewed 1438 times

Climbs
Cat 1 Passo di Acquabona 998m altitude. 14.5km @ 5.5%
Cat 1 Canelle 1155m altitude. 24km @ 3.7%
Cat 1 Monte Scuro 1614m altitude. 22.5km @ 6%
Cat 4 Terzo Tratto Duri 1480m altitude. 3.5km @ 4.3%
Cat 4 Santa Maria delle Grazie 254m altitude. 3.5km @ 5.8%
Cat 3 (finish) Rossano 294m altitude. 3.1km @ 5.7%

This first climb (in the opposite direction) was rumoured to be the ITT on Day 1, but the organisers relented. It is a very tough climb, with 15km at 5.5%, and around 5km in the middle at over 7%. And with over 200km to go after they crest the top, our sprinters are going to be in for a tough day.

After a descent and a grind up to Canelle (just 24km at 3.8%!), riders will descend into Cosenza for the TV sprint. Due to its cultural past, it was known as the Athens of Italy and today it houses the largest university campus of the nation. We will see some very nice shots from the helicopter here.

After Cosenza, the riders will attack a brute. Monte Scuro. A true HC climb, which is 23km long at around 6%. I can’t find evidence of the Giro ascending this side before, but they came down it in 1985. The climb is pretty tough, looks beautiful on Google maps, and seems to have a few steep sections.

Future Giri may decide to have this as a pivotal point in a stage, but on the first weekend, I want to save the GC battles for later in the tour. Therefore we move on after a short descent and some false flat, we reach a small category 4 climb (3.5km km at 4.3%) before a long descent to the shores of the Ionian Sea.

Nearly there now. After Rossano Stazione, the road turns left for a short sharp climb up to Santa Maria delle Grazie (3.5km at 5.8%), before a similar descent and another similar climb of 3.1km at 5.6% to the finish in Rossano, around 600m false flat (3%) in the town of Rossano. Whew!

Person of the Stage
Rossano was the birthplace of randy Pope John VII. Born the grandson of a Senator, and the son of a state official, made John VII the first Pope to be born from a distinguished family line. He was also Pope during the time of the “Byzantine Papacy”, wherein all Popes had to be approved by the Byzantine emperor to ensure that all decisions made would suit the state, though as with other Popes during that time things didn’t always go so smoothly. But it wasn’t the state that would see to his end, but rather the enraged husband of a woman John VII was sleeping with who caught them in the act, and beat the Pope to death. My kind of pope! You will also notice that his head was used as a prototype for some of the aero helmets worn by time triallists, which is rather fitting.

Munch for the Bunch
After a long, hard day in the saddle, riders are going to be hungry. So they will be dished up a plate of Frittole, which will be cooked in a vat over hot coals near the finish line. Frittole is prepared by cooking pork rind, pork meat and other less noble parts of the pig (part of the neck, cheek, tongue, nose, ears, kidneys, etc.) with pork fat (for taste). Yum yum!

barmaher

19 Aug 2015 10:45

When does Eshnar wake up? :D :D :D
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Games and Fantasy Cycling