Register

Race Design Challenge II

Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Moderators: peloton, Eshnar, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky

Re: Race Design Challenge II

05 Jan 2017 08:01

Gigs_98 wrote:@barmaher, @rghysens
Ok guys, I think it's time to stop the trash talking and tell everyone the truth.

The real reason why barmaher didn't participate in this challenge isn't that he didn't have enough time, but that he noticed that you can't find enough Roman meals to make 28 munches for the bunch. He knew that he would have absolutely no chance against me without the style points for the munch for the bunch so he decided to not participate. However when I heard that barmaher won't make a route I suddenly lost all my motivation to make a route as well, since I knew that he would be my only rival and that I would easily win in a competition without him. Then something very surprising happened. The ASO had heard a myth that there is this incredible guy, called Gigs_98 on the cyclingnews forum who designs superb cycling races. So they hacked my openrunner account and saw my absolutely perfect route for this Race Design Challenge. The ASO decided to cancel the TdF and the Vuelta for next year to instead make only one huge grand tour, my Tour of Roman Empire. However they had a problem. If I would post my race this autumn everyone would know that they just copy routes for their gt's, so they instead decided to ask me if I would allow them to use my route for their race next year and therefore also not to post it in this thread. Since I didn't care that much about this challenge anymore after I read that Barmaher wouldn't participate I agreed with them.
Then on the day on which the challenge started I saw that the interest in the challenge wasn't overly big and that without my route the whole competition might be cancelled. So I created a completely new route within a few hours so I wouldn't get problems with the ASO but can still participate. Obviously this route wasn't good enough to win, I would have needed at least one more day for that, but it was still a lot of fun to play and I still have to congratulate Rghysens for his half-decent route.
Unfortunately the UCI didn't allow the ASO to completely change the race calendar for next season and since money talks the ASO had to give in and my original route won't be raced next year. Moreover the ASO still has the rights for my route so I unfortunately still can't post it.

Did that route still take you hours?
I made mine within the blink of an eye between changing the baby's diapers, playing with the toddler and looking for contractors for our new to build house.

Furthermore, if Barmaher didn't even know about Apicius and his De Re Coquinaria, it's understandable that he chickened out.

:D
rghysens

05 Jan 2017 10:35

rghysens wrote:
Ok guys, I think it's time to stop the trash talking and tell everyone the truth.

The real reason why barmaher didn't participate in this challenge isn't that he didn't have enough time, but that he noticed that you can't find enough Roman meals to make 28 munches for the bunch. He knew that he would have absolutely no chance against me without the style points for the munch for the bunch so he decided to not participate. However when I heard that barmaher won't make a route I suddenly lost all my motivation to make a route as well, since I knew that he would be my only rival and that I would easily win in a competition without him. Then something very surprising happened. The ASO had heard a myth that there is this incredible guy, called Gigs_98 on the cyclingnews forum who designs superb cycling races. So they hacked my openrunner account and saw my absolutely perfect route for this Race Design Challenge. The ASO decided to cancel the TdF and the Vuelta for next year to instead make only one huge grand tour, my Tour of Roman Empire. However they had a problem. If I would post my race this autumn everyone would know that they just copy routes for their gt's, so they instead decided to ask me if I would allow them to use my route for their race next year and therefore also not to post it in this thread. Since I didn't care that much about this challenge anymore after I read that Barmaher wouldn't participate I agreed with them.
Then on the day on which the challenge started I saw that the interest in the challenge wasn't overly big and that without my route the whole competition might be cancelled. So I created a completely new route within a few hours so I wouldn't get problems with the ASO but can still participate. Obviously this route wasn't good enough to win, I would have needed at least one more day for that, but it was still a lot of fun to play and I still have to congratulate Rghysens for his half-decent route.
Unfortunately the UCI didn't allow the ASO to completely change the race calendar for next season and since money talks the ASO had to give in and my original route won't be raced next year. Moreover the ASO still has the rights for my route so I unfortunately still can't post it.

Did that route still take you hours?
I made mine within the blink of an eye between changing the baby's diapers, playing with the toddler and looking for contractors for our new to build house.

Furthermore, if Barmaher didn't even know about Apicius and his De Re Coquinaria, it's understandable that he chickened out.

C'mon, don't be ridiculous. We all know thats not true
User avatar Gigs_98

05 Jan 2017 10:54

rghysens wrote:In my opinion, races like Paris-Nice and Tour of Britain are almost ideal: a wide variation in terrain and covering an area that's large enough.

I'm not really keen on doing those races. I'm pretty sure the race design thread has many instances of all them and I'd rather see a new race instead of one I'm already bored of. I have a couple of ideas for the next challenge (all being one-week races), but I'll wait for some time before calling it.
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

05 Jan 2017 11:24

rghysens wrote:Did that route still take you hours?

Of course I know about Apicius and De Re Coquinaria. Two great young talents, they'll make a big splash in the big races this year.
barmaher

05 Jan 2017 11:36

Pffft. Munch for the Bunch is so 2015. It would have been Debauch for the Bunch.

Roman Orgy in one spot. A bit of incest in Nero's birthplace. A wine binge in the Po Valley. The rest of my post-stage entertainment would have to be behind an over-18 paywall. But I am sure you get the picture.
barmaher

Previous

Return to Games and Fantasy Cycling