Register

The 2017 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Moderators: Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: The 2017 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

22 Dec 2016 14:57

PeterB wrote:
Polliwop wrote:I have my team ready, but how do I get it to skidmark? I've tried clicking on his name but that doesn't give an option. How do I send a pm then?

You must have more posts to be able to send private messages I think, is it 10?

That must be it.
Polliwop

22 Dec 2016 14:59

Half way there.
Polliwop

22 Dec 2016 15:04

Sorry.
Polliwop

22 Dec 2016 15:07

Thank you.
Polliwop

22 Dec 2016 15:18

Polliwop

22 Dec 2016 15:21

@Polliwop
Quote me for variety
kingjr

22 Dec 2016 15:30

Yes, it's ten. Normally we would frown on this method of increasing a post count, but I understand why it's being done.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

22 Dec 2016 16:02

Squire wrote:In my view, there are only 3-4 absolute must-haves.

I'd say there are 33 'must haves' to have a maximum score and probably a few less than that to win. :razz:
Polliwop

22 Dec 2016 16:32

Squire wrote:
Martin wrote:
Karaev1 wrote:This is really hard... I already built 2 teams with completely different riders and I am happy with both of them... Can't decide between some old guys that changed teams and should have better season and some really young guys that have a ton of potential...

I used completely different tactics. First of all I made a team of "must have riders". This year it was around 15 riders. Then I build a long list of riders (this year around 50 names) who for ever the reason I think might do better next year and try to combine them so that in the final, I wont exceed 7500 points and the will have 33 names.
This year I spend around 7-8 hours creating a team, more then ever before. The short list of must have riders was done within half hour, but then it became a nightmare. I had to alter a game plan, and had to drop some interesting "must have" riders too so I would fit in game rules.
In the end I am confused too ;-)

To the bolded: In my view, there are only 3-4 absolute must-haves. Maybe just two. Most of the other spots in my team have been changing a lot. There are a few more than the must-haves which have been constant, but that's mostly because I decided early on that they would definitely be in my team, and I don't expect them to be in almost everybody else's team.

My strategy analysis for this year was from a slightly different perspective than last time, so this year my team shouldn't look like skidmark's less talented brother. I'm still going for the "scientific approach", but I'm pretty sure I won't top the popularity rankings again this year, and I might even have a potentially unique pick. :eek:

Hoping to break into the podium spots in 2017!

I agree this season has the fewest certain picks ever in the game and I also think only 2-4 are completely must haves. Then on the other hand there is a big group of riders that are obviously good picks, and I have also had maybe 10-15 of those in my team at all time besides the 4 certain ones, but all those might end up being sacrificed if needed to fit the puzzle. With the lack of very obvious picks this year I would also predict that the winningscore might end up a bit lower than previous years.
MADRAZO

22 Dec 2016 17:16

What I particularly don't like about this year is that I must decide on a few riders who disappointed me in the past. Of course I am tempted to ignore them as they are remembered as failures and my faith in them is shaken, but on the other hand I am aware that maybe I should fight this sentiment and take them at their current good value. How do other people do this? Do you like giving your riders second chance?
PeterB

Re:

22 Dec 2016 18:22

PeterB wrote:What I particularly don't like about this year is that I must decide on a few riders who disappointed me in the past. Of course I am tempted to ignore them as they are remembered as failures and my faith in them is shaken, but on the other hand I am aware that maybe I should fight this sentiment and take them at their current good value. How do other people do this? Do you like giving your riders second chance?

I used to give a lot of second chances to some riders but this year I think there are too many good(not great but good) picks so I will probably end up giving up on a certain colombian and some other guys that just keep failing. This being said I know they will probably have a monster season. However I will most likely give a second cjance to a young GC prospect that was pretty bad last year.

Anyways I finally managed to construct a team that I am kind of happy about. This team looks pretty strange tho with no less than 8 500+ riders(none of this riders are 800+) and another one that is almost 500. This means that the majority of the other riders are under 100 points. I'm really interested to see how this tactic will work out .
Karaev1

Re:

22 Dec 2016 19:08

kingjr wrote:@Polliwop
Quote me for variety

There you go.
Polliwop

23 Dec 2016 04:17

Polliwop's team is received! (thanks for inflating the post count in the thread Polliwop, ha) That makes it four teams that I've received so far. I've also sent my provisional team to Brullnux (the first entrant, who has told me he is not making changes to his team and will thus receive mine), which consists of 26 'for sure' riders and a shortlist from which I'm going to fill out the rest. I'm saying this to address the comments at the end of the last year about the integrity of the game - my riders and potential final riders are identified now, before I've had any chance to know who other teams are picking. This is exactly how I've done it in years past.

Also, about the discussion around picking riders who have let you down in the past... I have definitely gone down that road. I'm interested in maybe looking into my past teams this year to see how much I've picked certain guys... in a sense, it makes sense, if you know someone is going to be a talent but aren't sure when, it makes sense to double down and bet on them every year until they break through. The problem is, when do you cut ties? I picked Felline the first two years of this game and almost the third, and I should have stuck with him longer. Same with Landa by the time 2015 rolled around. But on the other hand, I picked Romain Sicard like three years in a row because I was sure his talent had to shine through sometime. That's just another difficult element of this game.

All I know is I'm definitely not picking Matt Goss again this year. Maybe Andy Schleck though...
skidmark

23 Dec 2016 05:15

skidmark wrote:Polliwop's team is received! (thanks for inflating the post count in the thread Polliwop, ha) That makes it four teams that I've received so far. I've also sent my provisional team to Brullnux (the first entrant, who has told me he is not making changes to his team and will thus receive mine), which consists of 26 'for sure' riders and a shortlist from which I'm going to fill out the rest. I'm saying this to address the comments at the end of the last year about the integrity of the game - my riders and potential final riders are identified now, before I've had any chance to know who other teams are picking. This is exactly how I've done it in years past.

Also, about the discussion around picking riders who have let you down in the past... I have definitely gone down that road. I'm interested in maybe looking into my past teams this year to see how much I've picked certain guys... in a sense, it makes sense, if you know someone is going to be a talent but aren't sure when, it makes sense to double down and bet on them every year until they break through. The problem is, when do you cut ties? I picked Felline the first two years of this game and almost the third, and I should have stuck with him longer. Same with Landa by the time 2015 rolled around. But on the other hand, I picked Romain Sicard like three years in a row because I was sure his talent had to shine through sometime. That's just another difficult element of this game.

All I know is I'm definitely not picking Matt Goss again this year. Maybe Andy Schleck though...

Just out of curiosity, how many riders is on your "short list"? You sent the short list to Brullnux as well right?

Quite honestly, no offense, I think keeping seven spots open to "adjust" your team based on what you see on other teams does not exactly give your team more credibility. I truly don't see any reason why would anybody needed to adjust seven riders in next ten days unless there is some major injury or announcement for one of the riders you have already picked.

I think as a reigning champ and the most successful player, you should just submit your team and be done with it. JMHO
User avatar Jancouver

23 Dec 2016 07:03

Seriously, do you have trust issues?

I think your phrasing is respectful, but the substance isn't.

How far along is your team? Have you submitted yet? If not, why so?

I think I have around 10 open spots (have a prelim team) and will wait between Christmas and New Year to decide for the last ones. Still need to plough through some cycling pages though.
User avatar Kazistuta

Re: Re:

23 Dec 2016 13:11

skidmark wrote:
18-Valve. (pithy) wrote:There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest this time around, going by this thread alone. We could be looking at a record low number of entrants, apart from the first edition. Does anyone know if the game is being promoted on other platforms such as Twitter, like it was a few years ago? (I ditched my social media accounts years ago due to time constraints)

I have no real gauge for how popular the game is going to be this year, but it's possible that the participation level might regress for any number of reasons, among them the relatively truncated time frame (this is the earliest deadline of the editions that I've run, and the initial post was up a few days later than I usually put it, I think), the fact that the game has been running for seven years and might naturally 'settle in' a little bit, or any number of factors. But who knows - last year I was worried we'd have fewer than 120 entries and then we got blitzed on the last day and I ended with over 140. But honestly, 120 teams, or 100, would still be an impressive competition.

I know the velorooms folks have been quite active in promoting the game on social media and otherwise in the past; their forum had some bugs that didn't allow me to post the main thread until today, so maybe the hype will start ramping up.

At any rate, I'm glad the people who have posted so far are excited about coming back; this should be a fun year to pick, there are definitely a number of directions to go in terms of picking riders.
Thanks and agreed.

The deadline is early, indeed. Regardless, the next time I'd rather you do away with the grace period and extend the deadline a bit, by 48 hours, for example, and make it a hard deadline. Entrants could always list possible replacement riders in case their team is over budget. I'd much prefer that over a tighter than necessary deadline only a day after the holiday season.

Hopefully there won't be any changes to the riders' scores, as the 31/12 update has been posted early in the new year on several occasions, if not usually, I think, although you state differently in the opening post. Let's hope it will indeed be up before the new year.
18-Valve. (pithy)

Re:

23 Dec 2016 14:11

Kazistuta wrote:Seriously, do you have trust issues?

I think I have around 10 open spots (have a prelim team) and will wait between Christmas and New Year to decide for the last ones. Still need to plough through some cycling pages though.

I don't have a trust issues and all this started when I mentioned to someone that I don't take Skidmark's team seriously because he got access to all the teams. Very simple.

This year, he could avoid this by submitting his team prior to the official start of the game but he again chose to pick 25 riders and is planning to add the rest based on what he sees around.

Look, I'm not taking away his skills and I'm regretful for all his work but the way he goes around submitting his team, I simply have to put a big asterisk next to his name, same as all those late submissions.

As per my team, it has been the same for about a week and only have four riders (different price levels) ready to swap a (single) rider in case of an injury, doping etc. otherwise I'm not planning on making any changes.

EDIT: I just sent my team to Brullnux as well and I will not make any changes unless there is major reason for that (injury etc)
User avatar Jancouver

Re: Re:

23 Dec 2016 17:14

Jancouver wrote:
Kazistuta wrote:Seriously, do you have trust issues?

I don't have a trust issues and all this started when I mentioned to someone that I don't take Skidmark's team seriously because he got access to all the teams. Very simple.

This year, he could avoid this by submitting his team prior to the official start of the game but he again chose to pick 25 riders and is planning to add the rest based on what he sees around.

Look, I'm not taking away his skills and I'm regretful for all his work but the way he goes around submitting his team, I simply have to put a big asterisk next to his name, same as all those late submissions.

As per my team, it has been the same for about a week and only have four riders (different price levels) ready to swap a (single) rider in case of an injury, doping etc. otherwise I'm not planning on making any changes.

EDIT: I just sent my team to Brullnux as well and I will not make any changes unless there is major reason for that (injury etc)

You do have trust issues. Get a grip. Enjoy the game.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

23 Dec 2016 18:22

Jancouver wrote:
skidmark wrote:Polliwop's team is received! (thanks for inflating the post count in the thread Polliwop, ha) That makes it four teams that I've received so far. I've also sent my provisional team to Brullnux (the first entrant, who has told me he is not making changes to his team and will thus receive mine), which consists of 26 'for sure' riders and a shortlist from which I'm going to fill out the rest. I'm saying this to address the comments at the end of the last year about the integrity of the game - my riders and potential final riders are identified now, before I've had any chance to know who other teams are picking. This is exactly how I've done it in years past.

Just out of curiosity, how many riders is on your "short list"? You sent the short list to Brullnux as well right?

Quite honestly, no offense, I think keeping seven spots open to "adjust" your team based on what you see on other teams does not exactly give your team more credibility. I truly don't see any reason why would anybody needed to adjust seven riders in next ten days unless there is some major injury or announcement for one of the riders you have already picked.

I think as a reigning champ and the most successful player, you should just submit your team and be done with it. JMHO

They're all low stake riders, maximum feasible return of 500 (if the year goes really well for them), with a maximum price of circa 200. Don't worry, the high end risky guys have all already been picked.

Edit: haven't received your team just yet
Brullnux

23 Dec 2016 20:33

Brullnux wrote:
Jancouver wrote:

They're all low stake riders, maximum feasible return of 500 (if the year goes really well for them), with a maximum price of circa 200. Don't worry, the high end risky guys have all already been picked.

Edit: haven't received your team just yet

I just sent it again. For some reason, my Firefox keeps login me out so I sent it from Chrome.

Edit: Let me know if you got it because now it is sitting in my Outbox but it does not show in my Sent items.
User avatar Jancouver

PreviousNext

Return to Games and Fantasy Cycling