Register

The 2017 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Moderators: Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: The 2017 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

21 Mar 2017 08:55

Also kudos for those (like Nicosix) who did NOT pick Aru. That was a brave move but could turn out to have been an excellent decision.

Having entered the Top Ten i'm quite happy with my team at the moment. Ciccone and Albanese seem to start their season at Coppi Bartali, which is late but not too late.
User avatar fauniera

21 Mar 2017 09:12

fauniera wrote:Also kudos for those (like Nicosix) who did NOT pick Aru. That was a brave move but could turn out to have been an excellent decision.

It's actually his best ever season at this point of the year.

As for the update, for some reason I thought I had scored more than 800 points. Probably because Tirreno's stage on 13/03 was included in last week's update.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

21 Mar 2017 10:56

Yeah I didn't pick Aru, but I don't really care about what he is doing now. I care about what he will do in the Giro and the Vuelta. With a strong field in the Giro I don't really see him replicating a 2015 amount of points. Though it remains a massive risk, he doesn't have to have 2015 level of points to be a good pick.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

Re:

21 Mar 2017 14:06

Hugo Koblet wrote:Thanks for the update, skidmark! An impressive amount of points scored this week. I'm slowly but steady moving upwards - nice! A cool feature next year would be if it's possible to track your teams movement from week to week. A graph showing your movement for instance.

Oh by the way, kudos to those picking Alaphilippe this year. I didn't think that he would be able to improve a lot on last year's score, but it certainly looks that way. At this point last year he had scored 0 points and this year 526 points already. Last year he scored 262 points in the Ardennes and 375 points the year before, so let's say 300 points on average which would already bring him above 800 points. Does anyone know what his schedule looks like for the rest of the season?

Whoa, yeah a graph would be cool. What do you think would be a good layout; like a graphic on each team page tracking each week? That's beyond my level of excel expertise (plus putting together the teams and doing updates takes all the time I have), but I'd be excited to incorporate it. I'm not sure how it would work in terms of entry, as previous week placing data gets wiped with the update. But if anyone has thoughts on that, let's talk about it - this year is young enough that we could figure out a way to do it maybe.
skidmark

Re: Re:

21 Mar 2017 15:39

skidmark wrote:
Hugo Koblet wrote:Thanks for the update, skidmark! An impressive amount of points scored this week. I'm slowly but steady moving upwards - nice! A cool feature next year would be if it's possible to track your teams movement from week to week. A graph showing your movement for instance.

Oh by the way, kudos to those picking Alaphilippe this year. I didn't think that he would be able to improve a lot on last year's score, but it certainly looks that way. At this point last year he had scored 0 points and this year 526 points already. Last year he scored 262 points in the Ardennes and 375 points the year before, so let's say 300 points on average which would already bring him above 800 points. Does anyone know what his schedule looks like for the rest of the season?

Whoa, yeah a graph would be cool. What do you think would be a good layout; like a graphic on each team page tracking each week? That's beyond my level of excel expertise (plus putting together the teams and doing updates takes all the time I have), but I'd be excited to incorporate it. I'm not sure how it would work in terms of entry, as previous week placing data gets wiped with the update. But if anyone has thoughts on that, let's talk about it - this year is young enough that we could figure out a way to do it maybe.

Yeah something like that! I have no idea how to do it either, but if we have an Excel wizard here somewhere, perhaps it's possible?
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

21 Mar 2017 21:52

Okay, aside from my already detailed Catalunya lineup, here's where my hopes and dreams lie this week:

DDV

Yves Lampaert
Carlos Betancur
Stefan Kung
Simone Consonni
Guillaume Van Keirsbulck
Edward Planckaert

Well. Lampaert is always a potential threat if a small group forms as he's got a big engine and a fast finish, but he hasn't shown anything yet this year. Kung and GVK, same deal - DDV tends to end in a bunch sprint, so I'll have my fingers crossed but expectations are low. I'm curious to see how Consonni does in a race like this, and whether Planckaert can last to the end. And if Betancur crosses the finish line I'll be thrilled.

Coppi e Bartali

Joe Dombrowski
Elia Viviani
Eduardo Sepulveda
Julian Arredondo

The startlist isn't finalized but I hope all these guys race. This is exactly the kind of race I picked Arredondo and Sepulveda for. Dombro is great when he's on form, which I guess he has been exactly once in his pro career when he won Utah. But, you know, hope springs eternal. Viviani should be able to pick up his first win of the year as well.

E3

Lampaert
Owain Doull
Alexis Gougeard
John Degenkolb
Taylor Phinney
Consonni
GVK

The same holds for Lampaert and GVK as in DDV; I don't expect much from the others (Degenkolb aside). This race might not be the best for me.

Gent-Wevelgem

Kung
Phinney
Doull
Consonni
Filippo Ganna
Planckaert
GVK
Degenkolb

Again, maybe some outside shots, but who is actually going to be the go-to guy for their team other than van Keirsbulck and Degenkolb?

In short, hoping for some surprises and small groups to make it in the Flandrien classics (serving both the purposes of giving my guys a better chance and taking away the bunch option for popular riders not on my team like Ewan and Gav), and fingers crossed for a good showing in Italy.
skidmark

22 Mar 2017 00:40

skidmark wrote:Okay, aside from my already detailed Catalunya lineup, here's where my hopes and dreams lie this week:

DDV

Yves Lampaert
Carlos Betancur
Stefan Kung
Simone Consonni
Guillaume Van Keirsbulck
Edward Planckaert

are low. I'm curious to see how Consonni does in a race like this, and whether Planckaert can last to the end. And if Betancur crosses the finish line I'll be thrilled.

An attempt to boosting the confidence of the squads who selected Edward Planckaert. :razz: A little anyway!

I recently read an Interview with Baptiste Planckaert were he talked about the Planckaert dynasty and his two younger brothers Edward and Emiel. He said he used to think Edward was the most talented of the trio even though Emiel probably has the biggest engine and endurance.

He went on to say Edward is the fastest sprinter of the three, but like himself (Baptist) he has problems positioning himself. However, he feels that if Topsport in the future will build a small train around Edward we could expect to see serious things. Edward also has the most flair and the loudest mouth. Baptist is the hardest worker.

Without Capiot why not have both Van Lerberghe and Edward sprinting if it ends in a bunch gallop!
Jakob747

22 Mar 2017 09:44

Once again thank you for the update and the work you do for this game, Skidmark.

A season with high and lows so far for me. Luckily it was again a good week, with load of points in MSR (even Mezgec scored 32 points) in addition to a rather good T-A (Spilak, Bernal, Gesink). I hope I can move upwards once again this week. With these line-ups, I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Volta a Catalunya KRUIJSWIJK Steven - LANDA MEANA Mikel - GESINK Robert

Landa top 10, Kruijswijk and Gesink somewhere between 11-20. Don't think I can expect more of them. Kruijswijk and Gesink didn't impress me so far this season, but the most important is that Kruijswijk is building up to an excellent form in the Giro. Gesink should score big in races like California, not these type of WorldTour races. But they can surprise me.

Dwars door Vlaanderen GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando - LUTSENKO Alexey - KÜNG Stefan - BOOM Lars - BETANCUR GOMEZ Carlos Alberto - VAN KEIRSBULCK Guillaume - DEVOLDER Stijn -VAN STAEYEN Michael

No guarantees at all, but I'm really looking forward to this race. Excellent race for attacking riders such as Lutsenko, Küng and Boom (also GVK and Devolder) to score big, there's a chance of a bunch sprint though. Then it's up to Gaviria to take the win.

Coppi e Bartali VIVIANI Elia - BERNAL GOMEZ Egan Arley- MARTINEZ POVEDA Daniel Felipe - ARREDONDO MORENO Julian David - VORGANOV Eduard

Viviani is of minor importance, but this is a good race for my Colombians. Bernal should be in good form, while Martinez still is searching for form. Arredondo is a question mark for me. Vorganov needs 1 point to be in profit, so I hope he can do it here. I hope at least one rider goes really well here.

E3 LUTSENKO Alexey - DEGENKOLB John - PHINNEY Taylor - BOOM Lars - MEZGEC Luka - GOUGEARD Alexis -VAN KEIRSBULCK Guillaume - DEVOLDER Stijn -DOULL Owain - CARAPAZ MONTENEGRO Richard Antonio

Less chances of scoring big points than in Dwars door Vlaanderen, of course I have Degenkolb but he's not a factor in this game. Lars Boom should be there, Lutsenko too I hope. I'm pretty sure Devolder will have one impressive race this classics season, so why not E3?

Gent-Wevelgem GAVIRIA RENDON Fernando - LUTSENKO Alexey -DEGENKOLB John - PHINNEY Taylor - KÜNG Stefan - BOOM Lars - MEZGEC Luka - GOUGEARD Alexis - VAN KEIRSBULCK Guillaume - DEVOLDER Stijn - VAN STAEYEN Michael - DOULL Owain - CARAPAZ MONTENEGRO Richard Antonio

Again no guarantees, but I strongly believe in Lutsenko as a rider for these classics so another chance to prove me right here. Mezgec was 12th here last year, so maybe he can do the same or even a bit better, because he's one of the riders who will have a hard time to break even this year.
User avatar Popchu

22 Mar 2017 10:25

Finally found some time to keep up with cycling/check for updates and I'm out of the top10 again...

Not sure how to feel about the upcoming races, too.

Catalunya
Landa
Gesink
Valls
Cink
Kämna
McCarthy
Herklotz

Landa, Gesink and Valls could score some points and I'm hoping Cink continues to impress. Not sure about McCarthy or Herklotz, but I don't expect anything from Kämna in this race.

Dwars
Benoot
Lampaert
Küng
Teuns
Boom
Politt
Van Keirsbulck

Just looking at the list... If they have the full support of their teams, they could score big. Most won't have, others will puncture, miss a split or have bad days. All in all it sounds like the perfect setup for a huge disappointment.

Settimana
Ciccone
Arredondo
Dombrowski
Viviani

Not sure what to expect. Ciccone won't be 100% yet and I'm not as confident in Arredondo as I was at the start of the season. Dombo being the only Cannondale on the startlist could mean he's their leader and might do something, right?

E3

Lampaert
Benoot
Dillier
Carapaz
Politt
Boom
Degenkolb
Van Keirsbulck

Same as DDV basically... Almost everyone could score big, but cobbles never work out as planned. Carapaz will be intresting to watch.

Gent-Wevelgem
Dillier
Küng
Carapaz
Boom
Degenkolb
Van Keirsbulck

Somehow this seems to be the line-up I expect the least from. Sure, Degenkolb will score, but everybody has him. Küng, Boom and Van keirsbulck going long distance? Dillier for the sprint of a select/biggish group? That's about it I guess. Don't see much points coming here.
HelgeBlendet

22 Mar 2017 18:50

Alright Lampaert!! That is exactly the kind of one-day race scenario I envisioned when I picked him - get in an anticipatory break while main Qst danger men are behind, be strong enough to whittle it down but still have a teammate, and then get lucky with the right attack. This is great.

I was actually hoping he'd be on the list for Three Days of de Panne next week, which is definitely a race he should do well in. These points are a huge bonus. And he's not on G-W start list, so maybe he's going to de Panne?

Also, Cink looking like he belongs in the pros yet again, only 15 seconds lost at the end of the stage today. Unfortunately, Bahrain's poor TTT skills means that he's still pretty low overall, but these consistently great performances right off the hop are excellent for a zero pointer. Some bright spots so far this week.
skidmark

22 Mar 2017 23:39

Lampaert!!!

That's why I picked him! When I saw only 12 other teams picked Lampaert I feared I might overestimate him or missed an injury or the announcment he'll be only domestique. Already scored 50% of last years points.
HelgeBlendet

24 Mar 2017 04:31

skidmark wrote:

My graph would be a Nibali like descent :razz:

Ok I did a quick mockup kinda thing for the graphs https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncamuh2wiosnzoh/CQ%202017%20update%2010%20Graph.xlsx?dl=0

Data on the first tab that would just need the current rank to be copied in the next cell each week. I only had some basic data so just did some demo data based on the 2 data points. Would need to get the actual data into this page for the past weeks but the current rank should automatically be updated
Tab 2 is the Graph. Lists out 2 teams and I would propose that the top 10 get added in here each week. Individual users can add there own team by overwriting a name on the list.

Very likely a better way to do this but might be a starting point for somebody. What do you guys think?
User avatar Tigerion

25 Mar 2017 01:49

Tigerion wrote:
skidmark wrote:

My graph would be a Nibali like descent :razz:

Ok I did a quick mockup kinda thing for the graphs https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncamuh2wiosnzoh/CQ%202017%20update%2010%20Graph.xlsx?dl=0

Data on the first tab that would just need the current rank to be copied in the next cell each week. I only had some basic data so just did some demo data based on the 2 data points. Would need to get the actual data into this page for the past weeks but the current rank should automatically be updated
Tab 2 is the Graph. Lists out 2 teams and I would propose that the top 10 get added in here each week. Individual users can add there own team by overwriting a name on the list.

Very likely a better way to do this but might be a starting point for somebody. What do you guys think?

Pretty cool! Good job !
User avatar Jancouver

27 Mar 2017 01:44

Ok, final update to the graph thing
All current data has been entered so you can now see how your team has progressed bu changing the names on the graph sheet
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehcpqfo2ix6r7vi/CQ%202017%20update%2010%20Graph%20with%20data.xlsx?dl=0

Currently is is set so you can see the rise of the top 10 teams - and the glorious decent of 1 team
User avatar Tigerion

Re:

27 Mar 2017 01:52

Tigerion wrote:Ok, final update to the graph thing
All current data has been entered so you can now see how your team has progressed bu changing the names on the graph sheet
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ehcpqfo2ix6r7vi/CQ%202017%20update%2010%20Graph%20with%20data.xlsx?dl=0

Currently is is set so you can see the rise of the top 10 teams - and the glorious decent of 1 team

Looks good! It is nice to capture this moment, before my team begins its ignominious drop out of the top ten.
shalgo

27 Mar 2017 09:19

Nice work on the graph guys!

Apart from that this week has been terrible for me. Bye bye top 10.

Gotta stay hopeful, maybe next week can see me return :p

Driedaagse De Panne-Koksijde
VAN KEIRSBULCK, Guillaume

Former winner who has been showing decent shape so far, could go well.

Ronde van Vlaanderen
DILLIER, Silvan
DEGENKOLB, John
GOUGEARD, Alexis
BRESCHEL, Matti
BOOM, Lars
VAN KEIRSBULCK, Guillaume

My cobbled team hasn't been very well so far. Dillier and Van Keirsbulck did well in some smaller races, but I don't really see them scoring significant points here. Breschel and Boom have been very disappointing so far. Degenkolb actually looked very strong, but everybody has Degenkolb. I'd need some crazy luck for one of these guys to try and anticipate the finale in some tactical move and get very lucky with how the race develops. But normally, expect for GVK (and maybe PR which suits some of these folks better), my cobbled season has been disappointing. :(

La Roue Tourangelle
BERNAL, Egan Arley
VENDRAME, Andrea

Vuelta al Pais Vasco
KÖNIG, Leopold
VALLS, Rafael
MAMYKIN, Matvey
ROGLIČ, Primož
FRAILE, Omar
KWIATKOWSKI, Michal
MEINTJES, Louis

This could be good. Rogla has been very good so far and Valls and Meintjes got screwed a bit in Catalunya by a 40km TTT and some bad weather with both of them tiny and skinny. Valls especially has actually been quite good this season and is already into profit.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

Re:

27 Mar 2017 14:21

Thanks! That looks like an interesting start - so it's just the 'graph' and 'graph data' tabs that are new, and then when I update, do I have to add an extra column and copy the 'current rank' onto it? I'll try to play around with it this week. With that table of weekly rankings (which is something I've thought about in the past anyway), there are probably lots of different possibilities. Even looking at the pattern of placings themselves are interesting.

Sidenote to all - no update yet at CQ and I've got to work all day so it won't come until later.
skidmark

27 Mar 2017 22:42

skidmark wrote:

Thanks! That looks like an interesting start - so it's just the 'graph' and 'graph data' tabs that are new, and then when I update, do I have to add an extra column and copy the 'current rank' onto it? I'll try to play around with it this week. With that table of weekly rankings (which is something I've thought about in the past anyway), there are probably lots of different possibilities. Even looking at the pattern of placings themselves are interesting.

Sidenote to all - no update yet at CQ and I've got to work all day so it won't come until later.

Yes they are the only 2 new sheets, didn't want to mess with anything else in the sheet in case I stuffed up the update.
In 'graph data' Column C is pulled straight from the rankings page so once that is update it should show the new values. So then just copy that into a new column between column C & column D
I haven't spent much time on the actual graph page and getting it autopopulating each week so that might need a bit of tweaking. You should just be able to add a column between b & c and fill across.
It also looks like in the changes some of the chart data was dropped so you might need to right click the centre of the graph >> click 'Select data' and then highlight everything from A1 to M12
User avatar Tigerion

28 Mar 2017 00:43

Still no CQ update... well, I guess I'll just talk about my own team.

I guess last week was not as bad as I feared, not as good as it could have been. Lampaert's victory takes alot of pressure off the rest of the team, which is good because they were mediocre. Coppi e Bartali was particularly disappointing, with Arredondo the only DNF on the first day, Dombrowski still looking like he wants to ride in the grupetto all the time, and Sepulveda a frustratingly anonymous 17th (I don't understand how he lost 19 seconds the first day and 58 in the TTT and then was over 2 minutes behind, that math is weird but whatever). But with the four big one-day Belgian races, no really popular riders that I missed out on took too many points, and big names/rare riders took the top spots in Catalunya too. Gaviria and Benoot got some points, but it could have been worse for my non-picks.

This week:

De Panne

Simone Consonni
Lasse Norman Hansen
EM Grosu
Guillaume van Keirsbulck

I was really hoping Lampaert was going to take part in this one, with his TT he would have had a good chance at a high finish. Nevertheless, GVK is a good threat here, a strong guy with a good TT. Hansen has the qualities it would take to succeed in this race - good punch, lots of power, but I dunno if that will translate to this race. I'm hopeful. The other two I don't have much in the way of expectations.

I don't have anyone for the French 1.1 race this week, the list isn't up for GP Mig yet, and for Limburg I have Grosu and Ponzi, the latter of which can do something if he ever gets form back. The big one of the week is...

Flanders

Yves Lampaert
Taylor Phinney
John Degenkolb
Alexis Gougeard
Owain Doull
Phil Bauhaus
Simone Consonni
Filippo Ganna
Edward Planckaert
Guillaume Van Keirsbulck

Wow, alot of riders, but really not much chance. Degenkolb can hang, but Roubaix is gonna be more his thing. Same with Lampaert and GVK. The rest? Phinney has basically not raced so I would expect 5 points for finishing as his ceiling; Gougeard will either be in the early break or dropped after 200k (or both), and the rest are neo-pros save Bauhaus, who is obviously just filling out the numbers. Come on, Pais Vasco!
skidmark

28 Mar 2017 06:46

As I strongly considered picking Gaviria but didn't, although it is still early days, I am interested if those who pick him are happy or disappointed with his performances so far?
del1962
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Games and Fantasy Cycling