Register

The 2018 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Moderators: Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

04 Jan 2018 21:19

Great work on the spreadsheet, Skidmark. You have probably seen it, but on the Popularity sheet, I1, which should be the popularity score for Valverde, is the title "count" rather than the formula, so instead of his popularity on the teams that have him, the word 'count' appears (should be 15).
User avatar Armchair cyclist

04 Jan 2018 21:19

Thanks Skidmark, I have updated your spreadsheet a bit:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9ew81pre6x0wju/CQ%202018%20final.xlsx?dl=0

Changes I have made:
Fixed the "Rankings tab" so that it has 128 teams (you had accidentally included "the attacking vikings" but this was reading info from "the asian"'s team.
Finished the following tabs: "Popularity table", "Rank popularity" and "All_riders"

Edit - I also fixed the issue Armchair cyclist has raised
monsieur_hulot

04 Jan 2018 21:24

Fascinating stuff reading through all the teams and comments.
My only regret so far is not picking Chaves. For some reason I thought his injury from Emilia would put him out for the start of the season but I was obviously imagining things...
Four unique picks and three only picked by one other team means that I have a lot of guys who could give me an edge:

Christophe Laporte - A lot more obvious picks in the 300+ region, but I hope he will develop into a very useful spring classics rider. Should also pick up a lot of points in flat races where Bouhanni isn't riding.
Mathias Le Turnier - Very promising in hilly races and also ok in higher mountains. Promising rookie season, and I decided he should be in my team when watching him in the break in Lombardia last fall. Surprised no one else picked him!
Jon Irisarri - Cheap and been in the Spanish worlds U23 team last two season. Didn't do much in his first year at Caja, but should imrove for next season.
Nikolay Cherkasov - I think he has shown class riding for Sivakov in U23 races, and should get plenty of oppurtunities at Gazprom. Another one I expected to be picked by 10+ teams.
Scott Thwaites - Expected a bit more from him last season so gave him a chance to prove himself. Actually last man to get in the team so a bit of fitting points.
Vyacheslav Kuznetsov - Can do well in spring classics. Has done a ton of work for Kristoff over the last few seasons, and with him gone hopefully he will get more chances for himself.
Oliviero Troia - Tough first season with UAE where he rode a very hard spring campaign with a lot of DNF. Possible future spring classics star but will need to work at lot for Kristoff this year so possibly the one pick I would change. Still fingers crossed.
Last edited by vladimir on 04 Jan 2018 21:33, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar vladimir

Re: The 2018 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

04 Jan 2018 21:24

Nice to be 4th in the popularity ranking. That should be a good sign for my team. :)
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

04 Jan 2018 21:32

My least popular riders:

LUTSENKO Alexey 563 (2) --> Fan pick, although he could battle for victory in classics such as Sanremo and Flanders.
STYBAR Zdenek 503 (12) --> Now or never for him, last year was not good but he certainly can do better than that.
GESINK Robert 318 (14) --> Had him last year, turned out to be a good pick but that crash in the Tour spoilt everything.
ATAPUMA HURTADO Jhon Darwin 307 (6) --> Bit of a mistake to be honest. It was a defensive pick because I thought most teams had him. Wrong. I didn't think about the fact Aru and Martin joined UAE, so he'll have less freedom this year. Could still be a good pick, with all his bad luck last year.
BOUDAT Thomas 238 (7) --> Good to see he's only in seven teams... or did I overlook something? He's fast, rode his first GT last year and nobody to ride for in his team. I wanted some more riders in the French races, so he was an easy choice.
VLIEGEN Loïc 179 (7) --> I didn't want to miss a new Dylan Teuns. He impressed me at some occasions in 2016 so he deserves a chance in my team.
TURGIS Anthony 131 (15) --> Another rider for the French races.
VANSPEYBROUCK Pieter 76 (3) --> Had bad luck during the classics last year. He should take there some points. He's fast too, so that's a bonus.

Also Carlos Betancur is relatively unpopular, I firmly believe he'll be back at his best this year. If that's the case, he will be a gold mine. :)
User avatar Popchu

04 Jan 2018 21:35

My team, my guys to cheer for this season. Some explanation below.

Lopez & Chaves (Colombian captains)
Obvious picks, doubted for a while about Quintana as well, but couldn't fit him in right and I really don't like the guy. S

Moscon & Van Baarle (Tractor tandem)
My two spring guys from Sky. I know I took a risk with Moscon, but I think he can make an even more impressive season. Van Baarle is a first year Sky rider, which is always a risk, came from Cannondale, so I thought that there was growing potential.

Senechal & Lawrence Naesen (Cobbled classicers)
With Boonen and vdBergh gone, Skybar and Terpstra getting older, I think Senechal got the potential to do right. Naesen will have a good chance to do well at Belgium Lotto.

Konig, Kennaugh & Formolo (Bora boys)
Quite obvious picks, new start, new opportunities.

Cavendish, Nizzolo, Coquard & Danny van Poppel (Sprint squad)
First three are obvious picks, fourth a bit less, but I think he can go back to doing what he's good at: sprinting. Back in a Dutch team, maybe chances in some smaller races.

Oomen, De Plus, Schachmann, Mas, Fernandez, Rodriquez, Rosa (Climbing Clan)
Oomen is on the edge of his full breakthrough, the quickstep youngsters have huge potential, Rodriquez made a good team move I think and Fernandez is a bit risky..hopefully he can find his climbing legs back and score me a decent 300-400 points. Rosa is at his second year at Sky, as said above by Gigs, I think he'll do well, like others in their second year.

Villella, Brambilla & Albanese (Italians)
First two on new teams, could do much better than in 2017. Albanese had a hard first pro year, hopefully he can show us his potential in his second year.

Kangert & Enger (Obvious captains)
Obvious picks

Kamna (TT youngster)
Seems to fit in really well at Sunweb, can grow further this year

Halvorsen (Sprint youngster)
With Viviani and Van Poppel gone, he's actually the only real sprinter at Sky. Hopefully he got his chances in smaller races. Could be having trouble in WT.

Van Aert (X-man)
I think he will be my unique pick. I read that he will be riding in the spring races and is still growing every year on the road. He's doing not so well in the mud this year, but I think (maybe hope now..) that it is because of focussing on the road. Fingers crossed.
Edit: not unique, good to see I'm not the only one.

Bjerg, Philpsen, Costa, Robert Stannard and Callum Scotson (the real youngsters)
Bjerg and Philpsen new at Axeon, with Axeon stepping up to PCT they could do really well. Costa is the big question mark, but I took the risk. He's back on his bike and seems to be back in training. Stannard and Scotson both from the U23 Aussie team. Both showed potential and with Hindley, Hamilton and Storer stepping up, they could be the new potentials.

Edit: I really like someone picking Benjamin Thomas. Picked him almost as well.
Last edited by Vesica on 04 Jan 2018 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
Vesica

04 Jan 2018 21:38

I see 6 teams are loaded with the Antunes rocket! :cool:
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

04 Jan 2018 21:48

Collective Wisdom team

The 18 most popular riders (32 picks or more) in order of popularity:
CAVENDISH Mark
NIZZOLO Giacomo
COQUARD Bryan
CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan Esteban
LOPEZ MORENO Miguel Angel
KÖNIG Leopold
KANGERT Tanel
BRAMBILLA Gianluca
KENNAUGH Peter
FORMOLO Davide
GUARDINI Andrea
ENGER Sondre Holst
GAUDU David
HALVORSEN Kristoffer
INTXAUSTI ELORRIAGA Beñat
CRADDOCK Lawson
ALAPHILIPPE Julian
MOSER Moreno
NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas
HAUSSLER Heinrich
MAS NICOLAU Enric
Albanese Vincenzo
BETANCUR GOMEZ Carlos Alberto
DE BIE Sean
VAN POPPEL Danny
CAPIOT Amaury
PHINNEY Taylor
FERNANDEZ ANDUJAR Ruben
COSTA Adrien
MAMYKIN Matvey
LATOUR Pierre
ROSA Diego
OOMEN Sam

But that team only has a spend of 6253, and a popularity score of 2071.

To make that team a bit more competitive, one might swap out Costa and Mamykin (the lowest popularity riders in that selection costing <100 points) and replace them with Geraint Thomas and Terpstra (the next most popular riders of more than average spend), you have a popularity that has dropped to 2053, but the spend is a more competitive 7386.

Re:

04 Jan 2018 21:51

monsieur_hulot wrote:Thanks Skidmark, I have updated your spreadsheet a bit:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b9ew81pre6x0wju/CQ%202018%20final.xlsx?dl=0

There's some minor errors in the popularity table, possibly due to capital letters or something. At least Enger and Intxausti is located two places.

But thanks for doing it!
User avatar Kazistuta

04 Jan 2018 22:02

In the 'Rank_popularity' table, some of the popularity scores are linked to other teams than the one it says in the B column.

It would also be better if the 'Popularity' tab was sorted alphabetically by rider names, so that it's easy to see who else has a particular rider.
User avatar Squire

04 Jan 2018 22:16

I've already listed my team. however will post here why I picked a few riders I picked. This is my first attempt at this game and figure I'll be in the middle of the pack to lower end of the pack. My team should at least be fun to cheer for.

Alejandro Valverde: He's my favorite rider, and has been since 2005. I can't have a team without him. My heart made this pick.

Andrey Amador: I picked him with my heart not my head. He's one of my favorite riders plus if Movistar actually doesn't send one of their 3 main GC riders to the Giro, that will make Amador the race leader for the Giro.

Marc Soler: I just happen to like him and think there is an upside, even on a team with 3 GC riders.

Logan Owen: First year at WT and I think he has potential to improve his points.

Jaime Castrillo and Sergio Samitier: They are 0 pointers and I have some hope for them. Plus they certainly can't hurt the team.

A few other riders are on my team simply because I really like them: Roson, Sutterlin, Brambilla, Stybar, Fernandez, Powless, Lluis Mas, and Fromolo.
User avatar Koronin

04 Jan 2018 22:53

Not a unique pick for me but 6 riders with only 2 or 3 selections. I really hope exactly those guys will score big. :)
User avatar Akuryo

04 Jan 2018 23:15

The high stake bets:
Choosing the correct 1000pt+ picks might not win you the game, but getting the wrong one can certainly lose it.

Sagan, Valverde and Alaphilppe; Giallo
Sagan, Quintana and Alaphilppe; Oliveira
Sagan and Landa: killike, Salvarani
Sagan and Gaviria: triley36
Sagan and Porte: repre
Sagan and Alaphilippe: Bicycle_Boy, Brullnux, Yellow Knight
Sagan: Armchair cyclist, ChrisDK, del1962, Jancouver, Shawnm4747

Valverde, Gaviria and Alaphilippe: armchairclimber
Valverde and Gaviria: minessa, Valv.Piti
Valverde, Porte and Alaphilippe: search
Valverde and Porte: JSpear, Leadbelly
Valverde and Alaphilippe: fauniera
Valverde: 18-Valve. (pithy), DJ Sprtsch, Koronin, Kryvo, Object, skidmark, yoyokt

Quintana, Landa and Porte: Tigerion
Quintana and Porte: Amis Velo
Quintana and Alaphilippe: Pantani1
Quintana: adamski101, NairoQ, vladimir

Kwiatkowski and Alaphilippe: Akuryo , Krokro

Landa and Zakarin: Trudgin
Landa, Gaviria and Alaphilippe: Slapshot
Landa, Porte and Alaphilippe: Riverside

Roglic and Alaphilippe: karaev
Roglic: Josedin

Aru and Teuns: Guilherme Ribero
Aru and Alaphilippe: Googolplex, Jakob747
Aru: laarsland

Gaviria, Bardet and Alaphilippe: EvansIsTheBest
Gaviria and Alaphilippe: AupaPyama, Crevaison, Hugo Koblet, tom_jelte, Wallenquist
Gaviria: CQmanager, Guybrush, sodak_za, the asian, the attacking vikings

Porte and Alaphilippe: abbulf, bminchow, Ferminal, Nicosix, Poles & Co.
Porte: kiszol, Martin, postmanhat, Sneekes, zaka_fan

Bardet and Alaphilippe: Geraint Too Fast

Alaphilippe: ansimi, Blues in the bottle, bort, DFA123, escartin, Eyeballs Out, freshman, Gigs_98, GP Blanco, greenedge, Hakkie2, JPettersen, kabete, Kazistuta, Kjellus, LightBing, LosBrolin, Maaaaaaaarten, MADRAZO, nuvolablu, Popchu, PremierAndrew, rote_laterne, ruvu75, SafeBet, Squire, TheArt, torcia_86, trackstand, WKA311

Trudgin's pick of Zakarin is the most expensive unique pick.

Meanwhile, we have what must surely be the most egalitarian team ever entered: Jon_Ezeitza's squad has nobody costing more than 400 points.
Last edited by Armchair cyclist on 04 Jan 2018 23:52, edited 2 times in total.

04 Jan 2018 23:17

my team:

ALAPHILIPPE Julian 1011
BENOOT Tiesj 813
Lopez Moreno Miguel Angel 629
CHAVES RUBIO Jhoan Esteban 505
OOMEN Sam 471
Latour Pierre 453
TERPSTRA Niki 417
Gaudu David 352
VAN BAARLE Dylan 347
VAN POPPEL Danny 287
MAS NICOLAU Enric 285
Cavendish Mark 257
Coquard Bryan 220
Brambilla Gianluca 195
COSNEFROY Benoit 191
Betancur Gomez Carlos Alberto 159
Rivera Serrano Kevin 155
HALVORSEN Kristoffer 151
NAESEN Lawrence 125
GASPAROTTO Enrico 93
NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas 77
NIZZOLO Giacomo 66
KANGERT Tanel 58
SAMOILAU Branislau 50
GUARDINI Andrea 39
Moser Moreno 25
Wackermann Luca 23
CRADDOCK Lawson 15
PLANCKAERT Emiel 11
GUARNIERI Jacopo 10
KÖNIG Leopold 10
Intxausti Elloriaga Beñat 0
ENGER Sondre Holst 0

I am pretty high on the popularity table for the first time (admittedly only my 3rd attempt), guess that shows that I spent a bit more time on my team than I normally do! that was more going through the list of players rather searching out everyone's aim or injuries though.
nearly all my picks have been discussed in detail but here are my rarer ones:

BENOOT Tiesj - this might be a good pick if he actually wins some races (yeah, I know! :lol: )
VAN BAARLE Dylan - I was liking this pick more until someone above mentioned that 1st season Sky syndrome, let's see, I had neglected this aspect combined with the more positive 2nd season Sky syndrome when dismissing Rosa (who I actually had the previous 2 years)
COSNEFROY Benoit - always good to have as many people as possible for all those French races, young and a lot of potential
RIVERA SERRANO Kevin - very young but seems mighty promising, started his career great last season hopefully continues this year
NAESEN Lawrence - don't know much about him but anything close to his brother will do and promising last year and he should get his chance in a lot of races
SAMOILAU Branislau - my one unique pick, I remember someone mentioning that you should always look at the Minsk Cycling Team as they have a lot of high scorers, recognised this guy, saw he was dropping down from Pro-Conti and had had his worst season for 10 years, either a continued decline or a bounce-back against worse opposition, for 50 points it is worth the chance
WACKERMANN Luca - my stupid pick last year hoping his Africa / Asia exploits could transfer back to Europe, they did not :redface: , but he scored so few points last year that I had to pick him this year
PLANCKAERT Emiel - I know literally nothing about him apart from his family, but he cost the exact amount remaining to get to 7,500

my original team had Aranburu, Barcelo, Sessler and Samitier (all picked by at least one other) but they got replaced by Navardauskas, Planckaert, Guarnieri and Enger. I found Enger when finding riders for the Zero Points Game along with Navardauskas who I had totally forgotten about, I fitted the other 2 in for price reasons.

popular riders I dismissed that may come back to haunt me include the aforementioned Rosa plus Carthy, Kennaugh, De Bie, Mamykin and Phinney.
I never even looked at Moscon, Formolo, Costa, Albanese, Stannard or Jacobsen who all seem relatively popular.
escartin

04 Jan 2018 23:21

Only one unique pick : William Bonnet. Not exactly gonna light the world on fire here. Even Jelloul and Howard of all people were picked by somebody else.

With that being said, I gladly welcome Geraint Too Fast on the two wagon hype train of AG2R overlord and 2018 Tour de France winner Romain Bardet.
User avatar EvansIsTheBest

04 Jan 2018 23:27

Got two unique picks - Antonio Pedrero and Jacob Egholm who I frankly have no idea how has fared since Qatar. Pedrero is relatively new on the scene, but isn't young and will do lots of domestique work apart from minor spanish races, so thats pretty understandable. I saw glimpses of him climbing pretty well on occasions in Tour de Suisse, Burgos and Vuelta a Espana, so theres that.
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

04 Jan 2018 23:34

Netserk wrote:I see 6 teams are loaded with the Antunes rocket! :cool:

they can only pray that he won't face Danilo Celano in the Iberian mountains... :D

Yes, I still believe
User avatar search

04 Jan 2018 23:40

I've got 5 unique picks....2 because they are low points and I like the riders. 3 because they are 0 or 2 points and I needed people in that points range to fill out my roster. No idea if they'll do anything at all, but the worst they can do is cost me 2 total points as far as those 3 go.
User avatar Koronin

04 Jan 2018 23:48

Those eccentric players with most unique picks:

4: armchairclimber, DFA123, greenedge, Josedin, vladimir, will10
5: ChrisDK, Koronin, Poles & Co, sodak_za
6: Archieboy, Guilherme Ribero, Jon_Ezeitza, monsieur_hulot, Tigerion
7: VeloRooms
8: Salvarani
9: Leadbelly, Slapshot
10: kiilike
12: kiszol
13: Trudgin
15: Guybrush

05 Jan 2018 01:52

Not sure what happened to my team, but Beñat Intxausti has popularity = 1 only on my teamsheet, and thus shows up twice in the list of all riders. See to this issue please so I don't lose out on points later.

Edit: yeah, there's a space at the end of his name. If it doesn't get fixed for next update I'll PM skidmark
User avatar jsem94

PreviousNext

Return to Games and Fantasy Cycling