Register

The 2018 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick

18 Jan 2018 19:56

I have Ion, Mas, Fernandez and Castrillo. I hope for one or maybe two top-10 from the first 3 and as Koronin said, Castrillo got some TV-time, so thats promising, I guess. :D He was the strongest form the break!
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re: The 2018 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

19 Jan 2018 08:29

TDU :

OOMEN Sam
PORTE Richie
MEYER Cameron
NAVARDAUSKAS Ramunas
KENNAUGH Peter

I hope the first three will be able to score tomorrow in Willunga
Nicosix

Re:

19 Jan 2018 14:55

Koronin wrote:Jaime Castrillo may not score many points, but he showed he was there on stage two as a rookie. Nice to see him get out in the break and win the combative award in his first race for Movistar.

Close enough...
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

19 Jan 2018 18:28

Damn. Ruben Fernandez is not going to be a good pick
User avatar Geraint Too Fast

Re:

19 Jan 2018 19:26

Geraint Too Fast wrote:Damn. Ruben Fernandez is not going to be a good pick

Probably not. I had hoped he would be decent around right now, but maybe he gets to race a lot of the smaller stages races in April/May.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

20 Jan 2018 00:04

I was also hoping with an uneventful off season he would bounce back from last season. It's not looking good currently.
User avatar Koronin

20 Jan 2018 01:51

For those who selected Brenton Jones (I know Squire is one, and I think there are 4 in total): did you see something in particular in him, or did you more think 'well he's a sprinter on a French PCT team so he'll get lots of chances in relatively easy races'? I ask because, goddamn it, he's ripping it up in Gabon.

I thought seriously about taking him a couple of years ago when he became the main sprinter for Drapac. But after looking at his results etc rather closely, I reached a conclusion - Brenton Jones sucks. So I didn't pick him, and I was validated when he did relatively little with a relatively easy calendar.

That, combined with my other conclusion that Delko kinda sucks, made me not even think of him this year in the slightest, even though he would fall into some of the categories of a good pick. But I'm interested if anyone had some inside knowledge or intuition that made them pick him.
skidmark

20 Jan 2018 02:19

skidmark wrote:For those who selected Brenton Jones (I know Squire is one, and I think there are 4 in total): did you see something in particular in him, or did you more think 'well he's a sprinter on a French PCT team so he'll get lots of chances in relatively easy races'? I ask because, goddamn it, he's ripping it up in Gabon.

I thought seriously about taking him a couple of years ago when he became the main sprinter for Drapac. But after looking at his results etc rather closely, I reached a conclusion - Brenton Jones sucks. So I didn't pick him, and I was validated when he did relatively little with a relatively easy calendar.

That, combined with my other conclusion that Delko kinda sucks, made me not even think of him this year in the slightest, even though he would fall into some of the categories of a good pick. But I'm interested if anyone had some inside knowledge or intuition that made them pick him.

As you say, I picked him, and he was pretty nailed on for a spot in my team. He was not really on my radar before I started doing research for my CQ team. But his results in the Tour of Britain impressed me, and he was going to be the main sprinter for Delko, which means a fantastic calendar for scoring CQ points. What convinced me was his absolute confidence in making it to the WT in a year or two, and his previous results. I checked race reports and tweets, and saw that when he didn't get results last year, it was either due to crashes/bad luck, or the team riding for Alex Frame instead. I absolutely didn't get the impression that Brenton Jones sucks.

I'm happy that he's delivering so far, and I believe the Delko racing calendar will mean plenty of easy points for him. I would actually have been pretty disappointed if he didn't rip it up in Gabon. But it's still early days, of course. It remains to be seen how he handles a full European calendar. But I'm quite surprised he's only picked by four players.
User avatar Squire

20 Jan 2018 05:25

Well it doesn't look like anybody has Impey on their teams, who looks like he will be a good pick. Should be at around 150% profit by the end of TDU.
User avatar Tigerion

20 Jan 2018 06:35

Squire wrote:As you say, I picked him, and he was pretty nailed on for a spot in my team. He was not really on my radar before I started doing research for my CQ team. But his results in the Tour of Britain impressed me, and he was going to be the main sprinter for Delko, which means a fantastic calendar for scoring CQ points. What convinced me was his absolute confidence in making it to the WT in a year or two, and his previous results. I checked race reports and tweets, and saw that when he didn't get results last year, it was either due to crashes/bad luck, or the team riding for Alex Frame instead. I absolutely didn't get the impression that Brenton Jones sucks.

I'm happy that he's delivering so far, and I believe the Delko racing calendar will mean plenty of easy points for him. I would actually have been pretty disappointed if he didn't rip it up in Gabon. But it's still early days, of course. It remains to be seen how he handles a full European calendar. But I'm quite surprised he's only picked by four players.

Well, agree with Squires expectations for Gabon. We'll only know the true extention of his potential when reaching the European racing.
My main reason for picking Jones was that I for some years have bookmarked him as a rider to watch for these CQ competitions, and with a switch to Delko he's now in a perfect environment. I didn't look into old race reports as Squire, but I read some interviews where Jones himself expressed clear ambitions as a team leader and desire to hit the ground running. And that he did :D Let's see if he can continue in Etoile De Besseges against the likes of Coquard, Capiot, Boudat and Dupont, which is more like the competition he'll usually have in the French calendar.
User avatar Kazistuta

Re:

20 Jan 2018 07:48

Tigerion wrote:Well it doesn't look like anybody has Impey on their teams, who looks like he will be a good pick. Should be at around 150% profit by the end of TDU.

Dlamini at 300% ish I think. He does look like a decent pick for me. I like his style. Disappointed in Soler. Mas should at least pick up a few buttons.
User avatar armchairclimber

20 Jan 2018 11:03

Izagirre, Bennett, Oomen and Mas all scoring at least a handful of GC points (barring any accidents next stage). :)

Guess this week is for the Porte crowd, but I'm content with this result.

Also, why on earth is TDU categorized as 2.WT1?! Surely it should be 2.WT3, together with Turkey and the Asian stage races........
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

20 Jan 2018 12:18

So Porte will already be 125 points behind last year.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

20 Jan 2018 15:22

Joseph Areruya picking up some points for me at La Tropicale Amissa Bongo :p
Salvarani

20 Jan 2018 18:37

Kazistuta wrote:
Squire wrote:As you say, I picked him, and he was pretty nailed on for a spot in my team. He was not really on my radar before I started doing research for my CQ team. But his results in the Tour of Britain impressed me, and he was going to be the main sprinter for Delko, which means a fantastic calendar for scoring CQ points. What convinced me was his absolute confidence in making it to the WT in a year or two, and his previous results. I checked race reports and tweets, and saw that when he didn't get results last year, it was either due to crashes/bad luck, or the team riding for Alex Frame instead. I absolutely didn't get the impression that Brenton Jones sucks.

Well, agree with Squires expectations for Gabon. We'll only know the true extention of his potential when reaching the European racing.
My main reason for picking Jones was that I for some years have bookmarked him as a rider to watch for these CQ competitions, and with a switch to Delko he's now in a perfect environment. I didn't look into old race reports as Squire, but I read some interviews where Jones himself expressed clear ambitions as a team leader and desire to hit the ground running. And that he did :D Let's see if he can continue in Etoile De Besseges against the likes of Coquard, Capiot, Boudat and Dupont, which is more like the competition he'll usually have in the French calendar.

Yeah, that reasoning for both of you is sound, thanks for the replies. I think for me the problem is that he WAS on my radar, but two years too early. I read interviews with him going into the 2016 season about how he was confident and excited to be Drapac's #1 now that Wippert had moved on, and how he couldn't wait for a leadership opportunity. His 87 points made him promising, and he followed that up with... 115 points, inflated by two wins in the Tour of Korea. His only other podiums were one in February in Langkawi, and one at the end of October in Hainan. I guess it's all up to expectation - I thought that if he expressed that confidence and desire coming into that year and wasn't able to do it then with lots of chances, he'd never be able to. So I didn't even pay attention since. But you guys are right - looking at him with fresh eyes for this game, he would have been an appealing pick. Even if these Gabon results are his Tour of Korea for this year, though, moving to French PCT means lots and lots of little one-days, where being close matters for CQ points. So even if he isn't a world class (or even Europe Tour class) sprinter, getting 7th in a bunch of 1.1 races really piles up. He definitely could be an advantage to the few of you who have him.
skidmark

20 Jan 2018 19:10

Since I was hoping one of Latour, Oomen, Mas would finish top-10 in TDU it was a little disappointing to not see any of them in the Willunga stage top-10 when I woke up this morning, but then I checked the full results and they finished 11th, 12th and 14th which I guess was the best I could have hoped for at that point ;)
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

21 Jan 2018 09:08

Not picking Damien is what really hurts me about this week. A monument is almost guaranteed.
Ferminal
Veteran

21 Jan 2018 10:24

Man, It feels really bad to have picked impey last year but not this year :(
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

21 Jan 2018 10:26

You conclude that on the basis of him having finished in the top 100 on 2 out of 6 stages?
User avatar Armchair cyclist

21 Jan 2018 10:39

Meh, Guerreiro and Lulu getting some bonis on the last stage cost me a few points. Still four riders in the top 20 though - albeit none in the top 10 -, good enough I guess.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

PreviousNext

Return to Games and Fantasy Cycling