Register

Velogames Tour de France 2018

Come in and talk about betting, computer games and cycling simulations, and your office's or online fantasy cycling leagues.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick

Velogames Tour de France 2018

28 Jun 2018 19:03

All velogames players are invited to join the Velogames Tour de France.

League Name: The Great French Spectacle In July 2018
League Code: 221231239
Champions never quit.
Rodrigo Arenas

Re: Velogames Tour de France 2018

05 Jul 2018 08:54

Many thanks to Rodrigo for creating these leagues. In light of recent events I thought it might be interesting to create an alternative league. A condition for entry to this league would be that Chris Froome is excluded from selection.

This league is called What ASO wants

Code: 778014714

I fully realise that I am as powerless as ASO to influence selection.
Mayo from Mayo

06 Jul 2018 00:17

Looks like the ASO have pulled the legal strings and prevented Velogames from running their fantasy Tour de France game due to the launch of their own ASO fantasy Tour game.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Due to a recent legal notice, entries into the current Fantasy Grand Tour game are currently suspended until further notice.

It is fair to say I am absolutely gutted about this turn of events, but do not want to comment further until the situation progresses.

At present it is looking unlikely that the current Fantasy Grand Tour game will go ahead as planned.

Many apologies for this news, but it is for the best for my family and finances.

Yours in fantasy cycling, George
Savant12

06 Jul 2018 01:25

Savant12 wrote:Looks like the ASO have pulled the legal strings and prevented Velogames from running their fantasy Tour de France game due to the launch of their own ASO fantasy Tour game.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Due to a recent legal notice, entries into the current Fantasy Grand Tour game are currently suspended until further notice.

It is fair to say I am absolutely gutted about this turn of events, but do not want to comment further until the situation progresses.

At present it is looking unlikely that the current Fantasy Grand Tour game will go ahead as planned.

Many apologies for this news, but it is for the best for my family and finances.

Yours in fantasy cycling, George

That's ridiculous.
User avatar Koronin

06 Jul 2018 01:57

Savant12 wrote:Looks like the ASO have pulled the legal strings and prevented Velogames from running their fantasy Tour de France game due to the launch of their own ASO fantasy Tour game.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Due to a recent legal notice, entries into the current Fantasy Grand Tour game are currently suspended until further notice...At present it is looking unlikely that the current Fantasy Grand Tour game will go ahead as planned...Yours in fantasy cycling, George

1. I can't believe I stupidly wasted an hour picking a team for this today, given that I don't even like fantasy sports that much; and

2. I wonder what the conversion rate for ASO will be in getting Velogames's players to sign up for Tour's own game (assuming that's what this is about)? lol :rolleyes:
joepa

"All is ephemeral - fame and the famous as well."
* read my Twitter
User avatar joe_papp

06 Jul 2018 06:30

That's just WAAAAY off target by ASO. There's at least ten other fantasy TDF games out there which just serves as fun appetizers, and which likely generates more interest in the race...
User avatar Kazistuta

06 Jul 2018 07:05

ASO haven't got their clutches into me yet: come and have a go at the Tour CQ Game instead!

Strange bit of targetting there by ASO: there are lots of other TdF games looking unaffected: https://www.scorito.com/ (which I have played in the past), https://goudentour.hln.be, https://en.zweeler.com (those last 2 from ads on CQ) and many more.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

06 Jul 2018 08:33

ASO coming out of this looking like pr1cks
rick james

06 Jul 2018 09:38

This made it an easy decision to NOT play ASO's own fantasy game.
FjPavels

06 Jul 2018 15:02

Imagine you are hosting a party at your house. You serve lots of food, drinks, music and all your guests are enjoying your party. Then a night club shows up at your house with lawyers and documents to tell you that you need to shut down your party and your guests must leave because the night club is having it's own party. Then they say to you and all your guests, "You are all welcome to attend our party. Here's the address." I'm not going to that party.

Instead of supsending velogames, ASO could have partnered with velogames. Or just leave it alone. What possible damage could velogames have done? I organize sports pools(World Cup, Euro Cup, NHL) at work. The result is it generates interest in those sports. The local pub certainly profits. How does suspending a fantasy cycling game generate interest in the tour? What's next? ASO will shut down bike tours during the tour? Cycling fans who want to follow the stages on their bikes will need to do so using the ASO sponsored bike tour?
Champions never quit.
Rodrigo Arenas

06 Jul 2018 16:25

In a token of solidarity to George at Velogames I have started a league on the OFFICIAL ASO FANTASY TOUR.

Name: RatherbeonVelogames
Password:DZM5G

Feel free to join with appropriate usernames and share with anyone you wish!
Mayo from Mayo

Re:

06 Jul 2018 16:42

Mayo from Mayo wrote:In a token of solidarity to George at Velogames I have started a league on the OFFICIAL ASO FANTASY TOUR.

In Rodrigo's allegory above, this is rather like decamping to the nightclub, and drinking to the health of the party host.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

Re: Re:

06 Jul 2018 17:01

Armchair cyclist wrote:
Mayo from Mayo wrote:In a token of solidarity to George at Velogames I have started a league on the OFFICIAL ASO FANTASY TOUR.

In Rodrigo's allegory above, this is rather like decamping to the nightclub, and drinking to the health of the party host.

On the other thread I bemoaned that I could not work out how to withdraw. I'm now trying to disrupt the opening of the nightclub with the possibility of being excluded.
Mayo from Mayo

06 Jul 2018 17:16

Rodrigo Arenas wrote:Imagine you are hosting a party at your house. You serve lots of food, drinks, music and all your guests are enjoying your party. Then a night club shows up at your house with lawyers and documents to tell you that you need to shut down your party and your guests must leave because the night club is having it's own party. Then they say to you and all your guests, "You are all welcome to attend our party. Here's the address." I'm not going to that party.

Instead of supsending velogames, ASO could have partnered with velogames. Or just leave it alone. What possible damage could velogames have done? I organize sports pools(World Cup, Euro Cup, NHL) at work. The result is it generates interest in those sports. The local pub certainly profits. How does suspending a fantasy cycling game generate interest in the tour? What's next? ASO will shut down bike tours during the tour? Cycling fans who want to follow the stages on their bikes will need to do so using the ASO sponsored bike tour?

Exactly and the same reason that even though (until a very recent Supreme Court case) gambling outside of Nevada and Atlantic city was illegal no one ever did anything about office pools for the NCAA tournament.
User avatar Koronin

07 Jul 2018 10:08

FjPavels

Return to Games and Fantasy Cycling