Register

Jonathan Vaughters guest appearance

Questions and answers with special guests.

Moderators: Red Rick, Valv.Piti, King Boonen

23 Feb 2012 17:45

Navardauskas can win on any terrain, outside of very high mountains. I think it's going to be very, very interesting to watch his trajectory in cycling. Where it ends up? i don't just yet...

Tommy D is in very good form. For Langkawi it will be a question of if he can overcome jet lag and heat.
JV1973

23 Feb 2012 17:48

Exrower,

I think just a bit of time. As the races in Asia become more competitive, the level to compete rises. and the level needed to make the teams competing in these races rises. it all leads to a broader base to the pyramid, which makes the peak higher. Going all the way down to the junior ranks.

Once Asia produces it's first top 5 rider in the Tour de France, things will get interesting really fast. The hero factor is big in making sports grow.

JV
JV1973

23 Feb 2012 17:49

JV1973 wrote:Havetts,

Biggest talent and biggest underachiever might be the same person! From a physiological testing standpoint, Contador is the most talented rider I've ever heard about.

Interesting... :D
Alberto we love you
on the road
you don't need to say this stuff
we saw you on the road
you blessed us with 9 great shows
let's not argue the toss about the official count
you are much bigger than that
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

23 Feb 2012 17:51

Hi JV, can you confirm a few details about the world team time trial championship and how confident are you of winning it? Is it six riders to start, at least five have to finish together, etc?
JRanton

23 Feb 2012 17:54

JV1973 wrote:You are expressing my sentiments for me. No matter what your view on contador or even on Bjarne, this situation is not a just one. You can't punish 27 riders, some who've never raced with contador, for a verdict that was from a previous team.

As president of the AIGCP, I have made my position clear to the license commission on this issue. I hope they find my arguments compelling.

The bigger issue here is the structure of the World Tour and the points system in general. For me, it is a system that dissuades sponsors, is demeaning to teams, and prevents athletes from achieving their earning potential, relative to other sports. Its really a pity that this system has been put into place.

JV,
In order to make cycling more global, do you think it would be beneficial to raise the level of Continental racing to make it more prestigious, or take the top riders and have them compete all over the world; like what the World Tour seems to be promoting.
Moser fanboy.

Libertine Seguros wrote:Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.
User avatar gustienordic

How much for that Doggie in the Window?

23 Feb 2012 17:54

Just curious, as I have seemed to misplace the paperwork. How much compensation did you receive from Sky for Brad Wiggins? Enquiring minds want to know.

Secondly why is it that more riders aren't speaking out about the lack of testing in reference to anti-doping measures? Dan Martin has been vocal as of late. What's the story, JV?:D
UCI_Overlord
Newly Registered Member

23 Feb 2012 17:55

JV1973 wrote:Podium girls? Lots of stories. None that I'm telling you. Go find some podium photos from the 1998 PruTour of Britain

http://66.147.244.157/~belgiumk/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/VaughtersKOMPod98@PhSpt.jpg

sooo...let's put it this way. which hair color do you usually prefer...you know...in general...for women maybe....
User avatar lostincosmos

23 Feb 2012 17:56

has some team member already tried the new P5?

will they ride them for the Giro of the Tour? (I guess Tirreno is a bit early to try them now)

salutaciò i bona tarda
pastronef

23 Feb 2012 17:56

Ruudz,

Contractually, we never had the right to "fire" Rasmussen, as he was exonerated. It would be illegal.

Rasmussen was not even charged, as it could not be filed, due to the UCI not meeting WADA guidelines. If Rasmussen must fill out the paperwork, so too must the UCI. Fairness is for everyone, not just the ruling party.

That said, from a pragmatic standpoint, I think both Offredo and Rasmussen should be suspended. But for 6 months, retroactive to the date of 3rd missed test. It's a warning shot, not shoot to kill. And if they do it again, 2 yrs, no questions.

I highly doubt Offredo was doping and I know Rasmussen was not. So, I think sometimes things need to be fair and pragmatic, as opposed to always looking for a solution that gives the appearance of being "strong against doping"..

Lets actually fight doping, as opposed to trying to look like we are.
JV1973

23 Feb 2012 17:58

4 riders must finish together, out of 6.

I think we have a shot. but so do Sky and Omega Pharma. It'll be down to the seconds.
JV1973

23 Feb 2012 18:02

lostincosmos, I prefer no hair....if you know what I mean.
JV1973

23 Feb 2012 18:05

I think having firmer lines of delineation between Continental and WT would be a good idea. How about a World Continental Tour every year, and maybe the highest points scoring team over 3 yrs gets to jump up to the World Tour (and you can't just buy your way in!!)

That would add interest to Conti racing, eh?
JV1973

23 Feb 2012 18:05

pastronef,

Only zabriskie has tested one. We're excited to start riding them, for sure.
JV1973

23 Feb 2012 18:06

JV1973 wrote:lostincosmos, I prefer no hair....if you know what I mean.

Hahahah :D
Der Effe

23 Feb 2012 18:08

You've said before that you believe Michel Kreder could win the Amstal Gold Race once. How about his brother, Raymond? Do you believe he could be one of the best riders on his field (sprinting) in a couple of years?

By the way, in the Tour Méditerranéen Raymond did the lead-out one time and so did Michel. Does it stay this variable this season? Or will you eventuelly choose one of them to sprint?
User avatar Thibaut Pinot

23 Feb 2012 18:08

JV
I note you have commented on the Saxo Bank case specifically but generally what are your views about the "Additional Sanctions" on the UCI Articles for doping bans; fines, inability to accrue points on their return to the WT Teams, teams being penalised etc etc,AIGCP hat on obviously?? WADA deem it important enough to challenge the British Olympic Association at CAS, how can the UCI get away with something similar?

I know you have commented briefly on Twitter can you be more expansive here?

Cheers

(@Slapshotjc)

PS, How much input does David Millar have in the Garmin squad and how much does his overall contribution bring to the team??
I'm in shape...Round is a shape
Unashamed Contador Fanboy

http://www.justcycling.myfastforum.org
User avatar Siriuscat

23 Feb 2012 18:14

Hi Jonathan,

I was wondering what your opinion on Sergio Luis Henao is? Have you seen enough personally to rate him yourself?

In Tour of Utah he averaged 365watts all the way up Snowbird Ski-Station/Little-Cottonwood and L. Leiphemier afterwards said he felt like he was chasing down Alberto Contador.

On another note (More Garmin related) I was wondering what your crystal-ball tells you about Peter Stetina? He is a personal favorite of mine and I wonder what you expect to see from him in the coming year.

Thanks for your time!
Jakob747

23 Feb 2012 18:17

JV1973 wrote:I think having firmer lines of delineation between Continental and WT would be a good idea. How about a World Continental Tour every year, and maybe the highest points scoring team over 3 yrs gets to jump up to the World Tour (and you can't just buy your way in!!)

That would add interest to Conti racing, eh?

That would make things much better. Along those lines, do you think the transfer system should change or that teams should remain more constant, especially in kit so fans can more easily follow their favorite team?
Moser fanboy.

Libertine Seguros wrote:Colombia is a world of totally alien wonder, a bit like putting the Amish in the control room at NASA.
User avatar gustienordic

23 Feb 2012 18:20

Pinot,

Raymond is a different kind of sprinter than Michel. Less aerobically talented, but more powerful. Ray is a neo-pro, so let's give it a few years before we try and figure out exactly what races he'll be good at.

They figured out who was best, on the fly. I think they have some umbilical cord type communication.
JV1973

23 Feb 2012 18:21

Hey JV, how are Garmin-B chances looking for Paris-Roubaix? Also, I've been wondering if you have considered CX bikes for that race?
En la tierra de los ciegos, el tuerto es rey.
User avatar Quixote

PreviousNext

Return to Q&A