Register

Work Stands for the Home Mechanic

Whether you are wondering how to true a wheel, how to fix that clicking sound or simply maintain your bike for the long haul, the Workshop & Maintenance forum is your one-stop online mechanic shop.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

02 Jun 2016 12:15

I'd rather pay someone else to repair my bike for me. It's more efficient because repairing my bike myself would take me longer than the time it takes to earn the money.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

02 Jun 2016 12:51

I just picked up one of these on sale at REI, I'm pretty psyched to not have to make weird contraptions to hold up my bike while I work on it anymore.

It came with a travel bag too! :D
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

02 Jun 2016 13:26

Those portable stands look very cool, let us know how it works out. I've been very, very happy with it as I've not managed to amputate another finger! I got a free, cheap stand from a friend to use at my girlfriends too. It's not as well put together as the Park and you have to be a bit more careful as it's not as sturdy, but it certainly does the job so I'd recommend everyone get a stand, no matter how cheap. When I don't need it it's getting passed on to a mate.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

Re:

03 Jun 2016 03:13

Irondan wrote:I just picked up one of these on sale at REI, I'm pretty psyched to not have to make weird contraptions to hold up my bike while I work on it anymore.

Yeah - nice stand that one.....I was tossing up between this exact one and Park Tools for my new home / garage set up.
Came down to price and went Park Tools.

I doubt you'll be disappointed.
User avatar JackRabbitSlims

Re:

06 Jun 2016 20:23

Irondan wrote:I just picked up one of these on sale at REI, I'm pretty psyched to not have to make weird contraptions to hold up my bike while I work on it anymore.

Nice!

Let me know how it stands up to the test of your usage, being it's a stand and all...
User avatar Tricycle Rider

10 Nov 2016 00:22

So, how's it going with your bicycle repair stand, Irondan?

Re:

10 Nov 2016 01:03

Tricycle Rider wrote:So, how's it going with your bicycle repair stand, Irondan?

I haven't used it much, just to hold my bike up to wash it and sometimes lube the chain... :D
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re: Re:

20 Nov 2016 19:00

Irondan wrote:
Tricycle Rider wrote:So, how's it going with your bicycle repair stand, Irondan?

I haven't used it much, just to hold my bike up to wash it and sometimes lube the chain... :D
It can potentially always double as a clothes hanger type of thingy when you run out of proper closet space... cause you menz just like hang your sports clothes all over the place, right?

Case in point (my dad's clothes, which drives my mom absolutely nuts)...

20 Nov 2016 19:57

Haha!.. Yes, they make great clothe racks.. :)
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

12 Jul 2017 01:45

All I have is a Feedback Sports Sport Mechanic stand, I got it on sale about 4 years ago for $99 and it works great, very stable and folds up into a small space when done.
froze

Previous

Return to Workshop & Maintenance