Register

Giro 2018 Route Rumours

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

09 Sep 2017 19:56

Brullnux wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:
Brullnux wrote:If it's a crap route do you reckon we can do a crowdfunding and pay RCS enough to let us design next year's race

Honestly, they'd probably be ok with it, if the money was right.

Awesome. There's almost 100,000 people on this forum so if everyone commits $5 we can get to half a million and surely that'd be enough. It will be a bit of a waste of money but the route will be top notch.

All we need is something ridiculous enough that Tinkoff will sign off on it.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re: Giro 2018 Route Rumours

11 Sep 2017 20:26

I was hoping that they would start the eyetalian leg in Calabria atop montalto in aspromonte...calabria has so much to offer like cittanova, gambarie, azienda aforestale, sila and you could always visit san chirico raparo and pollino.

:)
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

12 Sep 2017 12:06

I believe the Giro route presentation is next Monday - Is it my imagination but are there less rumours about the 2018 route, compared to previous years.
yaco

12 Sep 2017 12:29

I believe next Monday's event is only the presentation of the stages hosted in Israel.
ice&fire

Re:

12 Sep 2017 12:51

ice&fire wrote:I believe next Monday's event is only the presentation of the stages hosted in Israel.

of course. It's just about the start. The route presentation will be as usual in Milan after Lombardia
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

14 Sep 2017 05:52

mikii4567

Re:

14 Sep 2017 07:04

yes, it will be stage 12 if my route is somewhat correct. But it could also be stage 11 if the ITT is to S.Marino, which could shift to stage 12.

1-3 Israel

4 Catania-Caltagirone
5 Agrigento-Santa Ninfa(Valle del Belice)
6 Caltanissetta-Etna(Osservatorio Astrofisico)
7 Tropea? - Scalea
8 Scalea? - Montevergine
9 ??? - Francavilla?

10 Francavilla? - Gualdo Tadino
11 Fano - Iesi ITT OR Filottrano - Imola
12 Filottrano - Imola OR S.Marino ITT
13 ??? - Vittorio Veneto?
14 S.Vendemiano? - Zoncolan
15 Tolmezzo - Sappada

16 Trento - Rovereto ITT
17 ???
18 ??? - Prato Nevoso (or surroundings)
19 Busca - Monte Jafferau
20 Susa? - Cervinia
21 ??? - Roma
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

14 Sep 2017 07:56

So that's 2 itts in 5 day's?
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

14 Sep 2017 08:01

Red Rick wrote:So that's 2 itts in 5 day's?

Unless the ITT is on stage 9 instead, yes. No other option.

Unless they do only 1 ITT, that is. :o :p

User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

14 Sep 2017 09:20

So even the Holy Grail approves a Froome victory. Good to know beforehand, might skip the whole thing, sadly enough.
Pennino

14 Sep 2017 10:12

Eshnar wrote:
Red Rick wrote:So that's 2 itts in 5 day's?

Unless the ITT is on stage 9 instead, yes. No other option.

Unless they do only 1 ITT, that is. :o :p

Maybe we gonna get a mtt after all!? IMHO sounds like the only way 2 itt's within 5 days make sense at the Giro!

Monte Bondone from Trento for example!
Last edited by staubsauger on 14 Sep 2017 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar staubsauger

Re:

14 Sep 2017 10:15

Pennino wrote:So even the Holy Grail approves a Froome victory. Good to know beforehand, might skip the whole thing, sadly enough.

Froome already ruled out riding the 2018 Giro afaik
User avatar Red Rick

14 Sep 2017 10:37

Red Rick wrote:
Pennino wrote:So even the Holy Grail approves a Froome victory. Good to know beforehand, might skip the whole thing, sadly enough.

Froome did say the fifth Tour victory is his priority.
However, next year's calendar brings a week more between the Giro and Tour, so anybody who has capacity for the double should think about it.
Demanding nature of the Giro and the start in Israel make the task difficult, regardless of (possible) favourable routes, nevertheless.
User avatar sir fly

14 Sep 2017 11:04

sir fly wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

However, next year's calendar brings a week more between the Giro and Tour, so anybody who has capacity for the double should think about it.
Demanding nature of the Giro and the start in Israel make the task difficult, regardless of (possible) favourable routes, nevertheless.

Lot depends on routes. He can't beat peak Quintana at 90% unless the route is super favourable. He can't beat Dumoulin at 90% unless the route favors him.
User avatar Red Rick

14 Sep 2017 11:36

Red Rick wrote:
sir fly wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

Lot depends on routes. He can't beat peak Quintana at 90% unless the route is super favourable. He can't beat Dumoulin at 90% unless the route favors him.

Agreed.
And I think targeting Giro influences Tour performance more than the Tour affects Vuelta. Both in relative terms (in relation to opposition) and absolute (regarding preparation program).
Sky would probably need to apply the 2013. buildup and adjust it according to the challenge to maximize chances.
User avatar sir fly

14 Sep 2017 12:33

Alberto Contador will win this bike race.
:D
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

14 Sep 2017 12:47

Tonton wrote:Alberto Contador will win this bike race.

Where do I sign?

10 year celebration, Alberto coming out of nowhere 2 weeks before the race, from the beach, to win the whole thing in a team like Bardiani or Wilier. :D
User avatar Ricco'

14 Sep 2017 13:14

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5016636,00.html
Organizers said Thursday that details of the exact route of the three-day leg in Israel will be announced next week, with Italian and Israeli ministers making the announcement in Jerusalem along with Spanish great Alberto Contador.

"This is a hugely exciting moment for cycling and for Israel. An event of this magnitude is something that the country will always remember," said Daniel Benaim, CEO and owner of Comtec Group, the Giro's Israeli production company.

A delegation from the Giro d'Italia is currently in the country, scoping out locations for the race. The race was previously opened 11 times outside Italy, but never outside the European continent.

Contador will soon be arriving in Israel after ending his career in front of his home crowd at the Vuelta. Considered one of Spain's greatest riders, the 34-year-old Contador won that event three times, along with the Tour de France twice and the Giro d'Italia twice. He was stripped of a third Tour victory for doping.

Italian racer Ivan Basso, a two-time Giro winner, will also attend the ceremonial announcement in Jerusalem.
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
"The president is one large S.T.D., and if you’re in close proximity you’re going to get tainted by it.”
User avatar Robert5091

14 Sep 2017 13:39

Ricco' wrote:

Where do I sign?

10 year celebration, Alberto coming out of nowhere 2 weeks before the race, from the beach, to win the whole thing in a team like Bardiani or Wilier. :D

YES :)
We know Luca Bardiani and Gianni Savio are big fans
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

14 Sep 2017 19:19

Ricco' wrote:

Where do I sign?

Nonsense, he'll ride for Savio.
User avatar Mayomaniac

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing