Register

Rate the Vuelta 2018 route

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

How do you rate the route of the 2018 Vuelta?

No votes
6%
9%
26%
15%
11%
9%
13%
4%
7%

Total votes : 54

Re: Re:

13 Jan 2018 23:41

hrotha wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:Same thing every year
Route (of any GT) comes out ...same old moaners on here go on and on about how its dreadful, etc

Perhaps because the routes are roughly the same year after year, so naturally they're roughly equally dreadful?

Many Giro routes of this decade have been praised by those "old moaners". Maybe you simply have no standards?

The same moaners moaned with every GT profile last year and year before
And stop with the personal insults...I have standards ..I just dont feel the need to moan and be negative all the time like some of you guys...pathetic
HelloDolly

13 Jan 2018 23:43

Netserk wrote:
HelloDolly wrote:Same thing every year
Route (of any GT) comes out ...same old moaners on here go on and on about how its dreadful, etc

I like it...Its different from Tour and Giro- whic i wnat and it can provide some great racing and not be stifled by SKY
This is a Valverde, Dumoulin , Chaves route ... I think it could be a great showdown

So stop the pathetic and pointless moaning

I for one dont want several MTN stages with a SKY train dominating it
We usually have that at the Tour

Quit your pathetic moaning, unless you can quote the same people moaning over last year's route.

Same people ..and for Gods sake if you are going to insult me ...try to find some thing origianl to say not just repeat what I said :rolleyes:
HelloDolly

14 Jan 2018 00:08

So saying the same thing as you is insulting? I take that as an admission of your own insult ;)

You say we "moaned with every GT profile last year". I'd like to see you back up that statement and see the moaning over last year's Vuelta route. It's time to put up or shut up.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re: Rate the Vuelta 2018 route

14 Jan 2018 01:05

Let's all chill out, OK? Thanks :) .
User avatar Tonton

14 Jan 2018 02:35

lol @ these climbs. We have Covatilla and Covadonga but the combination of absolutely nothing stages ending on 20 minute ramps is atrocious. At least gimmicks like Bola and Cuitu Negru are ramps above actual climbs. It's a real shame that they have to pretend to actually cover most of the country over the three weeks and they can't just go up Pena Cabarga each day.

That said Rabassa is in theory interesting if there's a good train.

If Dan Martin is ever going to podium a GT it's this. Alaphilippe should have a serious crack too.
Ferminal
Veteran

Re:

14 Jan 2018 03:06

Ferminal wrote:lol @ these climbs. We have Covatilla and Covadonga but the combination of absolutely nothing stages ending on 20 minute ramps is atrocious. At least gimmicks like Bola and Cuitu Negru are ramps above actual climbs. It's a real shame that they have to pretend to actually cover most of the country over the three weeks and they can't just go up Pena Cabarga each day.

If Dan Martin is ever going to podium a GT it's this. Alaphilippe should have a serious crack too.

Valverde gets his 2nd Vuelta title with Martin and Alaphilippe rounding out the podium. I like that idea.
User avatar Koronin

14 Jan 2018 04:35

I like it :) seems very entertaining, very bumpy intermediate stages good for breakaways & the classical mtf with some new. The sprinters got screwed though :D so La vuelta has become territory for the puncheurs :)
User avatar hfer07
Veteran

14 Jan 2018 10:20

Koronin wrote:
Ferminal wrote:lol @ these climbs. We have Covatilla and Covadonga but the combination of absolutely nothing stages ending on 20 minute ramps is atrocious. At least gimmicks like Bola and Cuitu Negru are ramps above actual climbs. It's a real shame that they have to pretend to actually cover most of the country over the three weeks and they can't just go up Pena Cabarga each day.

Valverde gets his 2nd Vuelta title with Martin and Alaphilippe rounding out the podium. I like that idea.

Stick to the subject! We're not discussing the Ardennes here :D
ice&fire

14 Jan 2018 11:24

Purito says its a well balanced route in an interview by the Vuelta. :lol:

Damn, I miss him. Contador, Landa and Valverde also featured in that interview, Valverde said its a race he will really be looking forward to..
User avatar Valv.Piti

14 Jan 2018 11:38

Looks decent to me. Easily enough there for the riders to make an exciting race, yet not so hard that the main GC men will skip it before the World Championships. Slightly disappointed there's not a few more really short stages, but a 7 overall.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

14 Jan 2018 11:53

By exciting race, do you mean they open up their mountain sprint from a bit further out?
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

14 Jan 2018 11:56

Netserk wrote:By exciting race, do you mean they open up their mountain sprint from a bit further out?

If that's how they choose to ride it, then I think that's the fault of the riders not the course. There are some steep final climbs, some interesting rolling stages, some stages where winds will probably be a factor, a tough multi-mountain stage, some stages where heat will be a factor and a flat TT. I think it's quite good variety and, if the riders choose to, there are plenty of places to attack and make a good show.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

14 Jan 2018 12:31

Steep final climbs: Uphill sprints.
Rolling stages: Only stage win action, none of GC relevance.
Exposed flat stages: Best case scenario is what we saw in '14...
Multi-mountain stage: singular, and not tough. It's short and easy with the hardest point being the very end.
Heat: and so what? They'll suffer, but will they attack?!
Flat ITT: agreed, but given the time bonuses for all the mountain sprints, it really is too short. Nor will it change how the rest are ridden.

But sure, we'll see them open up their sprints plenty of times...
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

14 Jan 2018 12:36

Netserk wrote:Steep final climbs: Uphill sprints.
Rolling stages: Only stage win action, none of GC relevance.
Exposed flat stages: Best case scenario is what we saw in '14...
Multi-mountain stage: singular, and not tough. It's short and easy with the hardest point being the very end.
Heat: and so what? They'll suffer, but will they attack?!
Flat ITT: agreed, but given the time bonuses for all the mountain sprints, it really is too short. Nor will it change how the rest are ridden.

But sure, we'll see them open up their sprints plenty of times...

I see you have made your mind up. But calling Lagos de Covadonga, Covatilla or Rabassa 'uphill sprints' is a bit ridiculous. Likewise, calling the Andorra stage 'easy' suggests you have unrealistic expectations.

The heat is also an underrated factor because - if it is above 35C, which is certainly possible - it can turn innocuous looking stage profiles in Andalucia and Murcia into real tests of attrition and would certainly cause some 'favourites' to crack and lose time in the first week. Setting up the race nicely for later on.

The Vuelta has generally been the most entertaining GT in the last few years, and they have kept with a similar formula this year. Which seems perfectly logical to me.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran

14 Jan 2018 12:52

It has a vertical gain of 3210m. The penultimate climb of importance is 25km from the start of the MTF (which is the toughest climb of the day, but not even a hard cat. 1) and it is only a weak cat.1 climb. The Andorran stage Landa won was tough.
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

14 Jan 2018 13:54

Maybe it's just me, but Vuelta seems to love starting in the south (at least in last 5-10 or so years). I guess the Andalucian stages are okay. Caminito del Rey and Alfacar should sort out, who's in the GC contention. Las Alpujarras stage is pretty lazy though. It's interesting to see the borderland with Portugal in the race, even if it's just a copy of Pozo Alcón stage. I still don't know, why Covatilla is ESP and why Vuelta loves it as a ___/ stage. The usual 2nd week Asturias/Cantabria combo looks quite weak. Monte Oiz north?! That's awesome. Rabassa is ok, but not as ___/. The last Andorra stage is an easier variant of the 2015 stage.

I don't know, what to think about this route. I guess i'm just indifferent to it. It's not as frustrating as Tour or Giro routes are. Nice to see a bigger amount of sprint stages and some of them have tricky finales with cat. 3 hills not far from the finish. The amount of MTF's is a bit too much for me (which is on course with the modern Vuelta's school of design) and the amount of ESP climb is just pathetic (which is on course with the...). Why just not drop the ESP cat. entirely, if it's practically not used at all? I personally think the Giro system would work better for Vuelta, while Vuelta system for Giro.
railxmig

14 Jan 2018 14:08

Stage 1 - Malaga ITT: I'm OK with the ITT. It could be a bit longer, but coming after 8 years with an opening TTT there's not much to complain about.
Stage 2 - Caminito del Rey: Same last 50kms as in 2015. Not very original.
Stage 3 - Alhaurín de la Torre: Boring sprint stage with a cat 1 KOM at the start to help making the break.
Stage 4 - Alfacar: Mirador de la Cabra is one of the hardest climbs of this vuelta not hosting the finish line, but with more than 80km to go it will be irrelevant. This would be much better with Monachil. But unlike 2017, this Vuelta has a trend to avoide the best possible route to connect stage departure and finish within a reasonable mileage.
Stage 5 - Roquetas de Mar: The only descending finish of the route, and it comes after an easy climb and descent and 10km of flat. Looks like Comella/Andorra, Garbí/Sagunto, Collado Bermejo/Alhama, Torcal/Antequera and Huerces/Gijón were mistakes not to be repeated.
Stage 6 - San Javier: Flat stage close to the coast. Valverde said during the presentation that the wind blows hard in the area and echelons are a possibility. I wish it was true and it blew hard with Unipublic wishes to have a close GC until the end.
Stage 7 - Pozo Alcón: They could have done a much better loop around the finish town. Second stage they deliberately avoid the best possible route in just one week.
Stage 8 - Almadén: Flat stage on a Saturday?
Stage 9 - La Covatilla: Alfacar 2.0. Third stage where they have deliberately avoided the best possible routes, and there were several alternatives. In practice this is a single climb MTF were riding protected from the wind is a clear advantage. Red flag attack or reduced bunch sprint.
Stage 10 - Fermoselle: The finish of the 2016 Vuelta a Castilla y Leon stage 3 km after the climb from the bottom of the river canyon was perfect. Unipublic has decided to spoil it moving the finish almost 30km further away.
Stage 11 - Luintra: A very good mid mountain stage.
Stage 12 - Estaca de Bares: rolling terrain and twisty roads on the eve of three MTFs in a row. This screams breakaway. May the ocean wind blow hard.
Stage 13 - La Camperona: Wall bike finsh in a most uninteresting place preceded by a cat 1 KOM 70km from the finish. Same as in 2014 and San Glorio then was harder than Tarna. I wish this climb is forgotten soon.
Stage 14 - Les Praeres: Another wall bike finish that will spoil the racing in what it could be a good mid mountain stage.
Stage 15 - Lagos de Covadonga: They couldn't be absent in this year of centenaries, but Unipublic has served us with a very unimaginative route. As el Fito no longer works selecting the bunch they'll climb it twice while there are similar or better climbs in the area that remain unused. It will depend on whether there's a rider able to put the hammer down as Quintana did in 2016.
Stage 16 - Torrelavega ITT: Not as flat as it looks and shorter than usual. They have just subtracted the opening ITT lenght from the mid-race ITT length to keep the total amount of ITT kms constant.
Stage 17 - Monte Oiz/Balcón de Vizcaya: The preceding climbs are not very selective but I guess there isn't much they could do to have a better approach to the final climb. Another wall bike finish in an area with a wind farm. Will we see riders sucking wheels in 15% ramps?
Stage 18 - Lleida: Flat stage. I don't know if wind could be a factor.
Stage 19 - La Rabassa: MTF with nothing before in a climb with a road to descend. A waste considering they could have added another climb before and still have the stage below 200km.
Stage 20 - Canolich: Six KOMs, but only one of them climbs more than 700m. Could be the best mid mountain stage ever if the second last climb wasn't the easiest one of the lot. Whoever says the Vuelta route is backloaded has not looked properly at the climbing figures of this stage. Purito's sportive is much harder than this.
Stage 21 - Madrid: Final pointless parade.

Apart from the flaws already mentioned by most posters in this thread there are two things that I don't like on a global scale: the lack of descend finishes (Delgado made a remark on this during the presentation) and the deliberate trend to avoid the best possible route in most mountain stages. A clear step back from 2017.
ice&fire

14 Jan 2018 14:27

To be a bit positive, at least Covadonga is the last MTF of the block. We should actually see real racing on that climb.
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

14 Jan 2018 15:35

DFA123 wrote:Looks decent to me. Easily enough there for the riders to make an exciting race, yet not so hard that the main GC men will skip it before the World Championships. Slightly disappointed there's not a few more really short stages, but a 7 overall.

I genuinely don't see a single stage which can have more than 10km of action.
Brullnux
Veteran

14 Jan 2018 15:36

The ITT :p
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing