Register

Giro d'Italia 2018 stage 17: Riva del Garda – Iseo 155 km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

22 May 2018 23:27

johnymax wrote:A Mohoric show for tomorrow is a sure thing. Is it going to be enough for another stage win? I don't know. We'll find out tomorrow but I'm leaning yes :)
Definitely a rider to watch.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

22 May 2018 23:37

AG2R might try something with Dentz, Jaregui or even Venturini wouldn't they? Cherel and Montaguti are potential candidates as well. They've been quite aggressive actually so far.
Androni Giocatolli certainly sends someone up the road. Masnada & Vendrame looked pretty strong on their escapes while both Frapporti and Ballerini have been very active all race long.
Does Israel Cycling Academy actually still take part in the race? If so, Hermans should be considered a candidate as well.
UAE looked desperate for a result today already. They might send Ulissi or Conti up the road to morrow, but normally they should be more focused on the upcoming mountain stages with Aru.
CSF probably saves Barbin to assist Ciccone in the Alps. Andreetta though should try to make the move.
Last edited by staubsauger on 23 May 2018 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar staubsauger

Re: Giro d'Italia 2018 stage 17: Riva del Garda – Iseo 155 k

22 May 2018 23:57

Tonton wrote:Pinot to get drunk tonight and pull a Floyd tomorrow :cool: .

That would disappoint me. More chance of Aru doing a Virenque even if the climbs are small. Not sure with Pinot whether it's a stress issue or he needs a TT coach maybe both.

Interesting to see how Sky approach this stage but it's probably not difficult enough to make a difference and Froome will want a relatively easy day before the harder stages to come where he could possibly make some time, same with Pinot if he gets his mojo back...........
movingtarget
Veteran

23 May 2018 00:10

movingtarget wrote:
Tonton wrote:Pinot to get drunk tonight and pull a Floyd tomorrow :cool: .

That would disappoint me. More chance of Aru doing a Virenque even if the climbs are small. Not sure with Pinot whether it's a stress issue or he needs a TT coach maybe both.

Interesting to see how Sky approach this stage but it's probably not difficult enough to make a difference and Froome will want a relatively easy day before the harder stages to come where he could possibly make some time, same with Pinot if he gets his mojo back...........

I agree, I doubt very much they will try make a dent in the GC unless something like what happened to Chaves happens to Yates, Dumoulin or Pozzovivo on the first climb (highly highly unlikely).

I am sure they will try to put someone in the break, for the teams competition, as it is something they want to win and a stage like this can determine it. If Astana got a rider (or two) in the break and Sky didn't have one, and the break wins by minutes, that could be the end of their chances. I thought they might put Puccio in the break as he is not likely to be of much use over the next few days.
The Barb

23 May 2018 00:40

Aru to win by a heli draft to later find out that he is disqualified!
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

23 May 2018 01:43

My prediction on the coming days.

Pozzo, Pinot, Froome, Lopez, Carapaz should be in attack mode and their teams to make it hard. To make the others crack. 3-4 minutes can disappear fast on the stages coming up if someone is out of it.

Dumoulin gonna keep doing what he does and limit his losses. Hoping Yates has a bad day and gain time or pick a moment to attack himself. If he don’t crack.

Yates probably gonna be a bit more defensive than he has been and will be watching Dumoulin. Maybe he will attack or follow others attack if Tom can’t follow.

Interesting to see how Aru can shake things up with new found motivation and determination.
Salvarani

23 May 2018 02:58

Great stage for Tony Martin, will be well rested after taking it easy on Tuesday.
phanatic

Re:

23 May 2018 03:27

Escarabajo wrote:Aru to win by a heli draft to later find out that he is disqualified!

Actually he will be riding a moto GP in order to gain all his time back.
User avatar SHAD0W93

23 May 2018 05:23

The hardest part of the stage is the first 10 km. :) Breakaway Day!
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

23 May 2018 05:50

Robert5091 wrote:The hardest part of the stage is the first 10 km. :) Breakaway Day!

Formigal type break pls
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

23 May 2018 08:19

I don't get why this should be an obvious breakaway stage.

Yes there is a serious climb at the start but :
1) it isn't that hard : bar a km at 7,5% at the start, it's only 3 km near 7,5% near the summit. Much easier than the climb at the start of stage 10, where bennett managed to remain with the favourites that rode hard, and where the others sprinter were with chaves only 2 or 3 minutes behind, I expect the "grupetto" to only lose 2/3 minutes maximum with a easy but steady pace.
2) the rest of the stage is quite easy. 2 small climbs far from the finish line, only 1500m of elevation (bar the 500m of the first climb).

So I expect the sprinter teams could let the breakaway take 2/3 minutes on the first climb, without tiring themselves and keep some strength to control the escapees the rest of the stage. Which teams ? Obviously QS and Bora, but I think lottoNL and EF could have an interest to participate.
The problem would be if a big breakaway is formed, too big to control. But then some guys in the top20 should try to get in, and other teams could help the sprinter team to protect a top10.
axl

23 May 2018 08:58

Leinster wrote:[quote="
Nobody is going to work in a break with Bennett in it. Except maybe Yates.

Why not? If a rider who does not have a sprint to win from anybody somewhat fast, it does not matter if his breakaway companions have some speed, or a lot of speed. He will have to get rid of them anyway. If he sees an opportunity to do so, he has an incentive to make the break stay away.
LPP68!

Re:

23 May 2018 09:39

axl wrote:I don't get why this should be an obvious breakaway stage.

Yes there is a serious climb at the start but :
1) it isn't that hard : bar a km at 7,5% at the start, it's only 3 km near 7,5% near the summit. Much easier than the climb at the start of stage 10, where bennett managed to remain with the favourites that rode hard, and where the others sprinter were with chaves only 2 or 3 minutes behind, I expect the "grupetto" to only lose 2/3 minutes maximum with a easy but steady pace.
2) the rest of the stage is quite easy. 2 small climbs far from the finish line, only 1500m of elevation (bar the 500m of the first climb).

So I expect the sprinter teams could let the breakaway take 2/3 minutes on the first climb, without tiring themselves and keep some strength to control the escapees the rest of the stage. Which teams ? Obviously QS and Bora, but I think lottoNL and EF could have an interest to participate.
The problem would be if a big breakaway is formed, too big to control. But then some guys in the top20 should try to get in, and other teams could help the sprinter team to protect a top10.

It's just that these kind of stages especially in the third week so often go to the break. Big breaks form, most sprinter teams are tired, many sprinters aren't even in the race anymore so the peloton just gives up at some point and the break gains minutes. You can find numerous examples for that. I agree though that a break win is anything but certain. QS has a whole team dedicated to Viviani after all and if they get a little help from other teams and the break isn't huge the sprinters might get their chance for glory.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

23 May 2018 10:02

They will show stage from beginning?
Salvarani

23 May 2018 10:05

Yes, the stage will start 13:25.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re: Re:

23 May 2018 10:15

Gigs_98 wrote:QS has a whole team dedicated to Viviani after all and if they get a little help from other teams and the break isn't huge the sprinters might get their chance for glory.

The best way for Viviani to secure the maglia ciclamino is to not chase the break today. (Except Bennett is in the break of course.)
User avatar fauniera

23 May 2018 10:23

fauniera wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:QS has a whole team dedicated to Viviani after all and if they get a little help from other teams and the break isn't huge the sprinters might get their chance for glory.

The best way for Viviani to secure the maglia ciclamino is to not chase the break today. (Except Bennett is in the break of course.)

Which is why Bennett totally should go for the break.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

23 May 2018 10:34

Red Rick wrote:
fauniera wrote:

Except that, if he does, QS will totally chase it down after the first climb, leading to another break forming which, as was pointed out earlier, Bora won’t have the strength to chase down.

As Fauniera says, QS should be happy to let the break go.

The more I think about it, this must be a breakaway day.
The Barb

23 May 2018 10:37

LLS FTW!
User avatar MartinGT

23 May 2018 11:00

The Barb wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
fauniera wrote:

Except that, if he does, QS will totally chase it down after the first climb, leading to another break forming which, as was pointed out earlier, Bora won’t have the strength to chase down.

As Fauniera says, QS should be happy to let the break go.

The more I think about it, this must be a breakaway day.

The best chance of a QS stage win today remains a sprint. I can't see them avoiding a very probable win to secure the point classification they have few chances to lose. And the best way to secure it could be to win today.

And I'm not really sure Bennett wants it. Anyway we'll see if he targets the first TV (56km, 46 after the summit top) that brings (if i'm not mistaken) 20 points.
axl

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing