Register

Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

09 Jul 2018 21:28

Red Rick wrote:Did Dumoulin even recon the cobbles?

Yes, he went there earlier this year.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

09 Jul 2018 22:17

Looking good for Tommy D but can he really hang on until the ITT in week 3.
(Edit- speling ... spilling ... spelling!)
Last edited by Robert5091 on 12 Jul 2018 05:04, edited 1 time in total.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

10 Jul 2018 00:16

Robert5091 wrote:Looking good fro Toomy D but can he really hang on until the ITT in week 3.

The comparison between Froome and Dumoulin in the third week will be interesting to watch.
movingtarget
Veteran

10 Jul 2018 01:01

I think he'll crack hard in the 3rd week. He's a big guy...it's probably going to be harder for him to keep a high high level of form to compete in two consecutive gt's.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

10 Jul 2018 06:42

There's two ways to this. You could also say he has got a bigger engine than those small climbers (Quintana) and could diesel it better for 2 GT's.

Besides, he's not that big, he is the same height as Froome and only a few kg heavier. In peak weight between 69-71kg
Veteran

10 Jul 2018 07:23

I presume currently the general level of Dimoulin and Froome is considerably higher than Bardet, Nibali, Landa and other Tour contenders. They are the riders of exclusive quality, so both finishing at top-5 would be rather logical than sensational.
dacooley

Re:

10 Jul 2018 07:29

dacooley wrote:I presume currently the general level of Dimoulin and Froome is considerably higher than Bardet, Nibali, Landa and other Tour contenders. They are the riders of exclusive quality, so both finishing at top-5 would be rather logical than sensational.

Agree, wouldn't be surprised if Dumoulin finished top-5 at all. I still consider Froome to be on a different level, at least when it comes to doing the double. Tom is on uncharted territory.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re: Re:

10 Jul 2018 07:35

Valv.Piti wrote:
dacooley wrote:I presume currently the general level of Dimoulin and Froome is considerably higher than Bardet, Nibali, Landa and other Tour contenders. They are the riders of exclusive quality, so both finishing at top-5 would be rather logical than sensational.

Agree, wouldn't be surprised if Dumoulin finished top-5 at all. I still consider Froome to be on a different level, at least when it comes to doing the double. Tom is on uncharted territory.

This. Dimoulin is the best time trialist in the world and somewhere close to Froome at dosing effort and pacing himself uphill. The latter is quite possibly is a key skill in modern high-tech cycling, because wiping out the whole field with a courage of sparkling repeated attacks is getting increasingly harder.
dacooley

Re:

10 Jul 2018 08:17

Jspear wrote:I think he'll crack hard in the 3rd week. He's a big guy...it's probably going to be harder for him to keep a high high level of form to compete in two consecutive gt's.

The one time iv'e seen Dumoulin crack, was in the last stage of a Vuelta (unprepared!) vs Aru, Quintana, Valverde, Landa, Chaves and Rodriguez. This isn't a guy who's going to crack when he's prepared for a race. His engine is big enough for two GT's, but mentally is more important than physical. So Froome has the advantage in that department, perhaps.
Cinemaniak

10 Jul 2018 08:20

This typically isn't as much about engine as much as it is about how much base level a rider has. I'm also convinced Quintana messed up somewhere last year and is capable of a way better Giro/Tour double than he did.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

12 Jul 2018 17:13

So Tom got a 20 second penalty? If he gained more
than 20 seconds by blatantly drafting his own team car
in full view of the TV cameras, I guess it was good tactics.
User avatar oldcrank

12 Jul 2018 17:18

For people who think he wasn't good because he was with Kragh Andersen after the mechanical. Nope.

Dumoulin said he felt good which is why today stunk so bad. He said there was a movement in the peloton and he had nowhere to go so he hit somebody's back wheel (Bardet) and he broke all his spokes. He switched wheels with Geschke and just went from there. No word about the time penalty (but i don't think he was informed at the time of the interview)
Veteran

Re:

12 Jul 2018 18:03

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:For people who think he wasn't good because he was with Kragh Andersen after the mechanical. Nope.

Dumoulin said he felt good which is why today stunk so bad. He said there was a movement in the peloton and he had nowhere to go so he hit somebody's back wheel (Bardet) and he broke all his spokes. He switched wheels with Geschke and just went from there. No word about the time penalty (but i don't think he was informed at the time of the interview)

I heard somebody found a voodoo doll by the roadside. It had "Dumoulin" scrawled on the forehead and pins stuck in it.
User avatar JosephK

12 Jul 2018 18:09

Bad luck. It happens. Now get over it and continue!

His form looks good. But we know that it will be the third week that counts.
Winnen

12 Jul 2018 18:47

Pretty sure he would've done top 10 if not for the mechanical. Really unfortunate. Now I just hope he'll go well on the cobbles. That massive engine should help.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

12 Jul 2018 19:14

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:For people who think he wasn't good because he was with Kragh Andersen after the mechanical. Nope.

Why would anyone think that? Kragh Andersen is able to set a massive pace on a hill like that.
Baldinger

12 Jul 2018 19:31

Baldinger wrote:

Why would anyone think that? Kragh Andersen is able to set a massive pace on a hill like that.

Yeah, I really would have liked to see him (Kragh) go for it on that finale. He looked very good yesterday but was positioned badly at the bottom.
User avatar tobydawq

Re: Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

12 Jul 2018 22:27

Hopefully he bounce back on Sunday
Salvarani

Re:

13 Jul 2018 08:55

Maybe he felt good and as he is an honest guy it's probably true but he still conceded 20 seconds on the climb to Dan Martin and even around 15 seconds to a somewhat struggling Froome. Why couldn't he go faster? The headwind? Or the last 3 km was too exhausting for him? It doesn't look very promising for the mountains anyway. I think it's a worrying sign and combined with the quick loss of two of his best helpers (Kelderman and Matthews) and with the 70 seconds (with the penalty) lost yesterday his chances for a good result seems to be very slim now. I hope that I'm wrong on this btw.
User avatar kiszol

13 Jul 2018 09:09

kiszol wrote:

Maybe he felt good and as he is an honest guy it's probably true but he still conceded 20 seconds on the climb to Dan Martin and even around 15 seconds to a somewhat struggling Froome. Why couldn't he go faster? The headwind? Or the last 3 km was too exhausting for him? It doesn't look very promising for the mountains anyway. I think it's a worrying sign and combined with the quick loss of two of his best helpers (Kelderman and Matthews) and with the 70 seconds (with the penalty) lost yesterday his chances for a good result seems to be very slim now. I hope that I'm wrong on this btw.

He had already been chasing a bit, which really ruins your climbing time on a short hill.

Do we have an exact number of the time gap at the foot of the hill?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing