Log in:  

Register

Tour de France 2018 stage 6: Brest > Mûr de Bretagne 181 km

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

12 Jul 2018 18:49

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:
dacooley wrote:Froome is expectedly undercooked after gruelling giro and 5 week racing-free period. Only time will tell if he'll manage strike back, as race progresses. G was obviously instructed "OK boy, do your own race".

Yes, and what would be really worrying if Froome had been in great shape today. Everything under control so far, let's wait to 9th stage, and next Tuesday.

Yeah, great news that Froome is undercooked. He's building upto the 2nd and 3rd weeks. Hoping for no more crashed tbh.
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade
Member
 
Posts: 1,657
Joined: 23 Jan 2016 17:30

Re: Re:

12 Jul 2018 18:52

silvergrenade wrote:
Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:
dacooley wrote:Froome is expectedly undercooked after gruelling giro and 5 week racing-free period. Only time will tell if he'll manage strike back, as race progresses. G was obviously instructed "OK boy, do your own race".

Yes, and what would be really worrying if Froome had been in great shape today. Everything under control so far, let's wait to 9th stage, and next Tuesday.

Yeah, great news that Froome is undercooked. He's building upto the 2nd and 3rd weeks. Hoping for no more crashed tbh.

Happy, to see you after vacation :razz:
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot
Member
 
Posts: 1,062
Joined: 20 Aug 2017 12:52

Re: Re:

12 Jul 2018 18:56

DNP-Old wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Honestly thought Bernal would finish higher today.


Has he shown anything on a Mur before? I can’t remember.

Tirreno Adriatico 2017, stage to Fermo.


Just looking it up now. He lost 6 seconds on the lead group then and 9 today. The group was stronger and the climb harder today. Pretty similar level, no?
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,422
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Re: Re:

12 Jul 2018 19:08

Valv.Piti wrote:
tobydawq wrote:Okay upon rewatching, Bala actually did an amazing sprint but was absolutely horribly positioned when Martin attacked. So he probably couldn't have gotten more out of it than that.

He actually made the competition look very mediocre. 500 metres to go he is behind Fuglsang in about 20th position, then he sprints past everybody, almost creating a big enough gap to gain a second.

Yeah I was too harsh on him, I didnt notice where he was coming from. Its just that sometimes he just seems on another level in these sprints and can gap people.

Too bad. Would have loved a stage win, but legs seem great.

Part of the issue with Valverde is that he makes it look easy when he sprints. So people jump to the conclusion that he had plenty in the tank to attack earlier when he couldn't.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,360
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

Re: Tour de France 2018 stage 6: Brest > Mûr de Bretagne 181

12 Jul 2018 19:27

Oliwright wrote:Hey, what do you think about teams not waiting slightly more for TD? Sky, bora & quickstep seemed to up the pace after his puncture from what I saw.

Nobody waits in the final 5km.

There’s a sliding scale on these things, and Sky have tipped around the envelope for some of Froome’s mechanicals in the past, but 5km from the line is definitely in the “I didn’t know it happened, and even if it did I’m not waiting” realm.

Bardet’s own teammate attacked for 2nd place.
Leinster
Member
 
Posts: 892
Joined: 10 Jun 2017 06:44

Re: Re:

12 Jul 2018 19:27

Escarabajo wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
tobydawq wrote:Okay upon rewatching, Bala actually did an amazing sprint but was absolutely horribly positioned when Martin attacked. So he probably couldn't have gotten more out of it than that.

He actually made the competition look very mediocre. 500 metres to go he is behind Fuglsang in about 20th position, then he sprints past everybody, almost creating a big enough gap to gain a second.

Yeah I was too harsh on him, I didnt notice where he was coming from. Its just that sometimes he just seems on another level in these sprints and can gap people.

Too bad. Would have loved a stage win, but legs seem great.

Part of the issue with Valverde is that he makes it look easy when he sprints. So people jump to the conclusion that he had plenty in the tank to attack earlier when he couldn't.


He probably could have (it's not like he gets an injection of creatine kinase into his thighs 250 metres from the line, so of course people are thinking that and are right - it would impair his sprint, though) but not today since he was way out of position.
User avatar tobydawq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,066
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Re: Re:

12 Jul 2018 19:37

tobydawq wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
tobydawq wrote:Okay upon rewatching, Bala actually did an amazing sprint but was absolutely horribly positioned when Martin attacked. So he probably couldn't have gotten more out of it than that.

He actually made the competition look very mediocre. 500 metres to go he is behind Fuglsang in about 20th position, then he sprints past everybody, almost creating a big enough gap to gain a second.

Yeah I was too harsh on him, I didnt notice where he was coming from. Its just that sometimes he just seems on another level in these sprints and can gap people.

Too bad. Would have loved a stage win, but legs seem great.

Part of the issue with Valverde is that he makes it look easy when he sprints. So people jump to the conclusion that he had plenty in the tank to attack earlier when he couldn't.


He probably could have (it's not like he gets an injection of creatine kinase into his thighs 250 metres from the line, so of course people are thinking that and are right - it would impair his sprint, though) but not today since he was way out of position.



Today was very much a he was way too far out of position and some of that is on his team.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,817
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re:

12 Jul 2018 19:42

Red Rick wrote:Honestly thought Bernal would finish higher today.

aye and I'm sure you expect him to win the cobble stage as well
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,430
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

Re: Re:

12 Jul 2018 19:50

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:
silvergrenade wrote:
Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:
dacooley wrote:Froome is expectedly undercooked after gruelling giro and 5 week racing-free period. Only time will tell if he'll manage strike back, as race progresses. G was obviously instructed "OK boy, do your own race".

Yes, and what would be really worrying if Froome had been in great shape today. Everything under control so far, let's wait to 9th stage, and next Tuesday.

Yeah, great news that Froome is undercooked. He's building upto the 2nd and 3rd weeks. Hoping for no more crashed tbh.

Happy, to see you after vacation :razz:

its the rules around here, one Froome fan a week must spend a week in the clink
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,430
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

Re: Tour de France 2018 stage 6: Brest > Mûr de Bretagne 181

12 Jul 2018 20:09

Thomas went for the bonus seconds sprint. Why was that? Just to mop up before he crashes soon?
User avatar MartinGT
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,766
Joined: 04 Jul 2010 20:48

12 Jul 2018 20:13

There is a good chance he'll be in yellow this time next week
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle
Member
 
Posts: 1,028
Joined: 22 Dec 2017 16:46

Re: Tour de France 2018 stage 6: Brest > Mûr de Bretagne 181

12 Jul 2018 20:16

MartinGT wrote:Thomas went for the bonus seconds sprint. Why was that? Just to mop up before he crashes soon?

you got all of that from listening to it...amazing stuff

really, stick to your guns...don't watch, you'll just get angry
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,430
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

12 Jul 2018 20:16

Watching it again, the attacks by Martin and Latour were both extremely impressive.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,422
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

Re: Tour de France 2018 stage 6: Brest > Mûr de Bretagne 181

12 Jul 2018 20:25

rick james wrote:
MartinGT wrote:Thomas went for the bonus seconds sprint. Why was that? Just to mop up before he crashes soon?

you got all of that from listening to it...amazing stuff

really, stick to your guns...don't watch, you'll just get angry


Now now rick lad. Don't get angry. There's things called commentators on these shows they tell you when people attack etc. :lol:
User avatar MartinGT
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,766
Joined: 04 Jul 2010 20:48

12 Jul 2018 21:57

Chapeau Dan Martin - bet the team are really glad too. Bad luck for Tommy D & Bardet, Valverde? Grandpa showing the kids a thing or two :)
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,029
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

12 Jul 2018 22:52

Two weird details from the post race articles: (1) Quickstep apparently still regard Martin with affection, Brian Holm actually invited him before the race to stick with their guys on the approach to the finale. (2) Porte says he had no choice but to keep driving when he found himself on the front early because he doesn’t have the kick to stop and then go again effectively.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,422
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

12 Jul 2018 23:25

36 Big Photos from Stage 6 — corvos/aso/bettini/veloimages
http://www.steephill.tv/2018/tour-de-france/photos/stage-06/

Image

Image
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack
Member
 
Posts: 785
Joined: 10 Jul 2014 08:26

12 Jul 2018 23:57

Can anybody tell me why was Dimension Data pulling so hard towards the end until the foot of the climb? :confused:
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,360
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

Re: Tour de France 2018 stage 6: Brest > Mûr de Bretagne 181

13 Jul 2018 00:10

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
slosada wrote:
Oliwright wrote:Hey, what do you think about teams not waiting slightly more for TD? Sky, bora & quickstep seemed to up the pace after his puncture from what I saw.

Sky did the same just after the incident that left Zakarin and Uran behind... French commentators mentioned something like "it would not help Sky's image".


There were 6 km to go. Whatever your views on taking advantage of mechanicals in other circumstances, the racing was on at that point. No team would wait.

If you read it carefully, those were not my "views".
User avatar slosada
Member
 
Posts: 448
Joined: 29 May 2013 17:36

Re: Tour de France 2018 stage 6: Brest > Mûr de Bretagne 181

13 Jul 2018 00:16

slosada wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:
slosada wrote:
Oliwright wrote:Hey, what do you think about teams not waiting slightly more for TD? Sky, bora & quickstep seemed to up the pace after his puncture from what I saw.

Sky did the same just after the incident that left Zakarin and Uran behind... French commentators mentioned something like "it would not help Sky's image".


There were 6 km to go. Whatever your views on taking advantage of mechanicals in other circumstances, the racing was on at that point. No team would wait.

If you read it carefully, those were not my "views".


I did not say or imply that they were.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,422
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], mojomonkey, roundabout, Tim Booth, Zinoviev Letter and 32 guests

Back to top