Register

He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

What will Valverde's impact be the cycling world in 2012

Storm
19%
Snow Storm
19%
Desert Storm
18%
Tornado
20%
Nuclear Holocoust
25%

Total votes : 1107

Re:

12 Sep 2018 21:36

Koronin wrote:I think we need to be directing this team. At least we have a plan. It may or may not work, but we have a plan.

3 + 10 (bonus seconds) + the 4 second gap, however, how many of those bonus seconds does Yates get? Are we going to count on Lopez and Mas out sprinting Yates for those other bonus seconds?

Yeah, I know it's a messy equation. The fact that it's Yates not someone like Kruijswijk makes it more complicated.

I don't think Valverde can drop Yates on the climbs.. so it all comes down to strategy.
Velolover2

12 Sep 2018 22:01

3rd week one climb stages before a harder stage generally always go to the break.

I very much doubt any other team will want to pull the break back. Movistar can't hope to control the flat AND the climb with just 7 riders, especially as the climb is long enough that you need quite a big train but not hard enough that you can pull back 5 minutes on the breakaway.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

12 Sep 2018 22:09

It would be great if Valverde pulls within 10 seconds of Yates and than wins the Madrid stage to gain red.
User avatar SHAD0W93

12 Sep 2018 22:12

They need to crack Yates, not scrap a few seconds etc.

Crack Yates for 30s-1min at least.

Vamos Valverde!!!
User avatar KyoGrey

Re: He's coming home!!!! Alejandro Valverde comeback thread.

12 Sep 2018 22:17

Rollthedice wrote:
lartiste wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:"The red jersey is not an aspiration ‘per se’, though I’m feeling strong and close to the top guys. Tuesday’s route shouldn’t be bad for me; hopefully I can have a good day. I still think it will be tough for anyone to make a real gap in the GC to win this one.”

Yep, the red jersey is a huge aspiration and if/when he gets it, he will do everything in his might to keep it. Vamos Alejandro! :cool:

Someone else not planning on winning?! :D

Overall win is lying on the street, who ever will come and take it will win, hopefully Bala will be the first! But eventhough it will be not simple for him, this would be great finale of his career.

Finale? Maybe, just maybe Tokyo Olympics.

He has option to win Vuelta for second time. In my opinion the last one, since the field is exceptionally weak this year and since he is getting older and older every year :).

So from GT point of view it is his final GT he can win in my opinion. But we will see of course!

On the other hand if he ride Tokyo with same result as Vino London, I will be very happy for him.
User avatar lartiste

Re: Re:

12 Sep 2018 22:32

Pricey_sky wrote:
Koronin wrote:I think we need to be directing this team. At least we have a plan. It may or may not work, but we have a plan.

3 + 10 (bonus seconds) + the 4 second gap, however, how many of those bonus seconds does Yates get? Are we going to count on Lopez and Mas out sprinting Yates for those other bonus seconds?

And I’m sure on the flat run-in for Fridays bonus seconds Mitchelton will let Trentin sprint to make it as hard as possible for Valverde to gain the maximum.

You also might get Sagan in there if he's trying to battle Valverde for the Green jersey as well.
User avatar Koronin

12 Sep 2018 22:53

Huge respect. Still so strong after that injury last year in such an old age.
I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best

13 Sep 2018 09:03

Red Rick wrote:
Blanco wrote:And what about all that talk that Bala and Alberto can't stand each other? It looked like they're really close friends.

I always figured it was just really competitive and always wanting to beat each other, and nothing personal. I don't really think they're friends either, but now that Contador has retired they can lighten up

This. They're obviously not friends, as in they wouldn't go out for a drink together, but in a collegial sense they get along just fine.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

13 Sep 2018 17:49

Monte Oiz
2018:7,3 km@9,9%---22:36---average speed 19.38 km/h(Mas-Valverde)

Pampeago
1999:7,7 km@9,9%---24:00---average speed 19.25 km/h(Marco Pantani)

It looks like good form :).

Source:

https://twitter.com/faustocoppi60
User avatar lartiste

13 Sep 2018 19:37

So if our Lady is fighting with hurricane Florence (really, good luck), it means no posts?
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

Re:

13 Sep 2018 19:43

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:So if our Lady is fighting with hurricane Florence (really, good luck), it means no posts?

Things indeed look critical. I am off to a trip to Hamburg in the weekend and will try to avoid spoilers, so I shall not be contributing either.

And good luck with everything to Koronin. I hope you've decided to get away if you live in the impact zone.
User avatar tobydawq

13 Sep 2018 19:52

he should try to get the sprint bonus seconds before the climb tomorrow...
User avatar Lexman

13 Sep 2018 20:08

tobydawq wrote:
Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:So if our Lady is fighting with hurricane Florence (really, good luck), it means no posts?

Things indeed look critical. I am off to a trip to Hamburg in the weekend and will try to avoid spoilers, so I shall not be contributing either.

And good luck with everything to Koronin. I hope you've decided to get away if you live in the impact zone.

I have the same during 2 final weeks of TdF (holiday). Really no information, came back home, watched ca. 30 hours of recording TdF in 2days, hoping that it would be Froome....and.. you know.
So it might me Quintana who will win..
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

13 Sep 2018 20:15

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:
tobydawq wrote:

I have the same during 2 final weeks of TdF (holiday). Really no information, came back home, watched ca. 30 hours of recording TdF in 2days, hoping that it would be Froome....and.. you know.

And you really succeeded in not getting any information? That's pretty impressive.

It's difficult for me to avoid that. I haven't exactly designed my social media to not inform me of cycling results, and I often write with friends about races. I guess I'll have to "forget" to charge my phone :D
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

13 Sep 2018 20:20

Lexman wrote:he should try to get the sprint bonus seconds before the climb tomorrow...

No chance the break gets caucht before the climb
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

13 Sep 2018 20:31

Red Rick wrote:
Lexman wrote:he should try to get the sprint bonus seconds before the climb tomorrow...

No chance the break gets caucht before the climb

I think there's a chance. Movi will ride hard for bonus seconds on this stage, both at intermediate sprint and at the finish. If Yates fades in the process even better, if not we have a huge day on Saturday.
User avatar Blanco

13 Sep 2018 20:33

tobydawq wrote:
Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:
tobydawq wrote:

And you really succeeded in not getting any information? That's pretty impressive.

It's difficult for me to avoid that. I haven't exactly designed my social media to not inform me of cycling results, and I often write with friends about races. I guess I'll have to "forget" to charge my phone :D

First, absolutely no TV. Second no so common websites. For me only that ones with information concerning let say politics/what is going on in the world. And I have my private cyclings bets with my friends but they know - no information.
And it works. But 2 weeks of TdF in 2 days was reeaally exhausting..
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

Re:

13 Sep 2018 20:37

KyoGrey wrote:They need to crack Yates, not scrap a few seconds etc.

Crack Yates for 30s-1min at least.

Vamos Valverde!!!

:)
Axis

14 Sep 2018 01:01

Skybot, thanks. We evacuated. Not as worried about the wind (due to it being a Cat 2/3) as we are the rain. The rain is not good.
User avatar Koronin

14 Sep 2018 15:39

Told you. Valv. Piti... Told you...
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing